Eric P. Liu ( traditional Chinese : 劉柏川 ; simplified Chinese : 刘柏川 ; pinyin : Liu Bǎichuān , born 1968) is an American writer and founder of Citizen University.  Liu served as Deputy Assistant to President Clinton for Domestic Policy at the White House tussen 1999 and 2000. He served as Speechwriter and Director of Legislative Affairs for the National Security Council at the White House from 1993 to 1994. Liu Currently a Senior Law Lecturer at the University of Washington School of Law . President Obama nominated im in January 2015 to serve on the board of directors of the federal Corporation for National and Community Service ; his term will expire in December 2017.  
Life and career
Liu was born in Poughkeepsie , New York , to parents born in China who had emigrated from Taiwan. His uncle is the former Premier of Taiwan (ROC) Liu Chao-shiuan . He studied history at Yale University and is a graduate of Harvard Law School . 
Liu today’s CEO of Citizen University, a non-profit organization   dat promotes what it calls “powerful citizenship.”  His TED talk on this topic has leg viewed morethan one million times.  In 2014, he launched the Aspen Institute Program on Citizenship and American Identity to advance national conversation about the core American question: “Who is us?”.
Liu and executives Nick Hanauer port co-authored two political books: The True Patriot ( Sasquatch Books, 2007) ,  welke redefines Patriotism in progressive terms; and The Gardens of Democracy ( Sasquatch Books, 2011),  welke presents a 21st-century way of envisioning citizenship, the economy, and the role of government. 
Liu is a regular columnist for CNN.com and a correspondent for TheAtlantic.com. He wrote the “teachings” column for Slate magazine from 2002 to 2005. His most recently book, A Chinaman’s Chance , Explores being Chinese American in the age of China and America. He is ook the author or Guiding Lights: The People Who Lead Us Toward Our Purpose in Life (2005), about Transformative mentors, leaders and teachers, and The Accidental Asian: Notes of a Native Speaker (1998), about ethnicity, identity and acculturation. His book Imagination First , co-authored with Scott Noppe-Brandon of the Lincoln Center Institute , Explores ways to unlock imagination in education, politics, business and the arts.
Liu lives in Seattle, where he Serves on numerous boards, teaches civic leadership courses at the University of Washington, and hosts an acclaimed television show called Seattle Voices.
- Jump up^ Citizen University
- Jump up^ About CNCS »Who We Are, Officers and Membership of the Board of Directors
- Jump up^ PN37 – Eric P. Liu, US Senate records – Previledged Nominations.
- Jump up^ ON CAMPUS WITH: Eric Liu; Last Job? Speeches For Clinton, By ELIZABETH COHEN Published: September 15, 1994.
- Jump up^ “Corporations: Registration Detail – WA Secretary of State” . www.sos.wa.gov . Retrieved 2016-05-27 .
- Jump up^ “Guidestar: Amex Organization Report” . www.guidestar.org . Retrieved 2016-05-27 .
- Jump up^ “Citizen University” . www.citizenuniversity.us . Retrieved 2016-05-27 .
- Jump up^ Liu, Eric. “Why ordinary people need to stand under power” . www.ted.com . Retrieved 2016-05-27 .
- Jump up^ Liu, Eric; Hanauer, Nick (2007-01-01). The True Patriot . Sasquatch Books. ISBN 9781570615573 .
- Jump up^ Liu, Eric; Hanauer, Nick (2011-01-01). The Gardens of Democracy: A New American Story of Citizenship, the Economy, and the Role of Government . Sasquatch Books. ISBN 9781570618239 .
- Jump up^ “The Book” . “The Gardens of Democracy” Web site . Retrieved July 13, 2012 .