Benjamin R. Barber (born August 2, 1939) is an American political theorist and author perhaps best known for his 1995 bestseller, Jihad vs. McWorld and 2013’s If Mayors Ruled the World .
Benjamin R. Barber is a Senior Research Scholar at The Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society or The Graduate Center, The City University of New York , the President and Founder of the Interdependence Movement, and Walt Whitman Professor of Political Science Emeritus, Rutgers University .  From 2007 -2012, he was a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Demos .
As a political theorist, Barber argues for A renewed focus on civil society and Engaged citizenship as tools for building effective democracy , met name in the post- Cold War world. His current work gekeken the failure of nation-states to address global problems, and argues dat cities and intercity associations are more effectief addressing shared concerns. Benjamin Barber has leg a Senior Fellow at the USC Center on Public Diplomacy since 2005.
Barber was an outside adviser to President Bill Clinton and a foreign policy adviser to Howard Dean’s 2004 Presidential campaign . He has advised political parties and political leaders in the UK , Germany , Austria , Denmark , Finland and Italy on civic education and participatory institutions.
Barber has with with and worked alongside civil society and government leaders in Turkey , the United Arab Emirates , China , and Moammar Gadhafi ‘s Libya .   
Barber was educated at Grinnell College (BA, 1960) and Harvard University (MA, 1963; Ph.D., 1966), after earning certificates at Albert Schweitzer College (1959) and the London School of Economics (1957).
Barber’s Father Philip W. Barber, directed the New York City Unit of the Federal Theatre Project , welke produktie plays waaronder Macbeth and The Living Newspaper . His mother, Doris Frankel, was a playwright and wrote for television.  Barber himself has ook leg active as a playwright, Lyricist (libretto for George Quincy’s opera Home and the River ) and film-maker ( The Struggle for Democracy , with Patrick Watson , Music Inn , with Ben Barenholtz ).
Barber’s receptacles include a knight hood from the French Government ( Academic Palms / Chevalier ) (2001), the Berlin Prize of the American Academy in Berlin (2001) and the John Dewey Award (2003). He has ook leg Awarded Guggenheim, Fulbright, and Social Science Research Fellowships, honorary doctorates from Grinnell College, Monmouth University and Connecticut College, and has held the chair of American Civilization at the Ecole des hautes études and sciences sociales in Paris.
In November 2016, Barber was falsely Cited as a top Democratic campaign donor in a Project Veritas undercover video tasks earlier in the year. Project Veritas welke now works with the alt-right media outlet “Breitbart News” filmed Barber without his knowledge. Project Veritas has leg critiqued for misleading audiences, spliced video footage, entrapping people, lying, cheating, etc ..  
- Superman and Common Men: Freedom, Anarchy and the Revolution (1971) ISBN 978-0-14-021430-7
- The Death of Communal Liberty: A History of Freedom in a Swiss Mountain Canton (1974) ISBN 978-0-691-61808-1
- Liberating Feminism (1976) ISBN 978-0-8164-9214-5
- Marriage Voices ( 1981 novel ) ISBN 978-0-671-44808-0
- Strong Democracy: Participatory Politics for a New Age (1984) ISBN 978-0-520-05115-7
- The Conquest of Politics: Liberal Philosophy in Democratic Times (1988) ISBN 978-0-691-07764-2
- An aristocracy of Everyone: The Politics Of Education and the Future of America (1992) ISBN 978-0-19-985417-2
- America Skips School (1993) Appeared in Harper’s Magazine
- Jihad vs. McWorld: How globalism and tribalism Are Reshaping the World (1996) ISBN 978-0-345-38304-4
- A Place for Us: How to Make Society Civil and Democracy Strong (1998) ISBN 978-0-8090-7656-7
- A Passion for Democracy: American Essays (2000) ISBN 978-0-691-05024-9
- The Truth of Power: Intellectual Affairs in the Clinton White House (2001) ISBN 978-0-231-14439-1
- Fear’s Empire: War, Terrorism, and Democracy in an Age of Interdependence (2003) ISBN 978-0-393-32578-2
- Strong Democracy: Participatory Politics for a New Age (Twentieth Anniversary Revision 2004) ISBN 978-0-520-24233-3
- Schwächt oder stärkt E-Technology the Democracy? , In Robertson von Trotha, Caroline Y. (ed.): Kultur und Gerechtigkeit (= Kulturwissenschaft interdisziplinär / Interdisciplinary Studies on Culture and Society, Vol. 2), Baden-Baden (2007)
- Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole (2007) ISBN 978-0-393-04961-9
- If Mayors Ruled the World: dysfunctional Nations, Rising Cities (October 2013) ISBN 978-0-300-16467-1
- Jump up^ “Biography” . benjaminbarber.org .
- Jump up^ “Statement: Benjamin Barber, a Distinguished Senior Fellow” (Press release). Demos . March 14, 2007.
- Jump up^ “Professors Paid by Qaddafi: Providing ‘Positive Public Relations'”
- Jump up^ Dugald McConnell and Brian Todd, “Gadhafi paid millions to US firms to polish his global image”,CNN, April 6, 2011http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/04/06/libya .gadhafi.image / index.html? hpt = T2
- Jump up^ “Benjamin Barber Responds”
- Jump up^ Rosenfeld, Heather (November 6, 2001). “Benjamin R. Barber” . The Washington Post . Retrieved 2015-02-14 .
- Jump up^ Friedersdorf, Conor. “What the NYT Magazine Does not Say About James O’Keefe”, The Atlantic, July 29, 2011.
- Jump up^ Elliott, Philip. “Latest Clinton Sting Does not Live Up to Its Hype,” TIME.com, October 16, 2016.