Anthony Atala , MD (born 1958) is the WH Boyce Professor and Director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine , and Chair of the Department of Urology at Wake Forest School of Medicine in North Carolina .  Regenerative medicine is “a practice dat AIMS to Refurbish diseased or damaged tissue using the body’s own healthy cells.” 
Atala was born in Peru ,  and Grew up Coral Gables, Florida.  He or Lebanese descent ,.  Atala attended the University of Miami and has an undergraduate degree in Psychology.  He went to medical school at the University of Louisville where he’ll be COMPLETED his residency in urology.  He was a fellow at the Harvard Medical School affiliated Children’s Hospital Boston from 1990 to 1992 where he Trained underworld-Renowned Paediatric urologic Surgeons Alan Retik and Hardy Hendren. He served as the Director of the Laboratory for Tissue Engineering and Cellular Therapeutics at Children’s Hospital Boston.  His work there involved growing human tissues and Organs to replace Those damaged by disease or defects. This work became important Because Of shortages in the organ donor program. 
Atala continued his work in tissue engineering and printable Organs  after moving to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and the School of Medicine in 2004.  Atala led the team dat developed the first lab-grown organ, a bladder, to be implanted JSON a human.  
Along with Harvard University researchers and as DESCRIBED in the journal Nature Biotechnology ,  he has announced dat voice cells with enormous potential kan be harvested from the amniotic fluid or pregnant women. These amniotic vote cells are pluripotent , meaning they ‘kan be manipulated to differentiate JSON verschillende types of mature cells therein makeup nerve, muscle, bone, and other tissues while Avoiding the problems of tumor formation and ethical groups therein are associated with embryonic vote cells . 
With respect to the amniotic fluid cells voice ( “AFS” cells),  Atala zegt de volgende:
“The cells come from the fetus , welke breathes and sucks in, dan excretes, the amniotic fluid Throughout pregnancy;”
“Like embryonic cells vote, they ‘appear to thrive in lab Dishes for years, while normal cells, called somatic cells, which after a time;”
“They are Easier to grow dan human embryonic cells voice. And, unlike embryonic cells vote, they ‘do not form a type of benign tumor called a teratoma,” and
“A bank with 100,000 specimens of the amniotic cells theoretically vote Could supply 99 per cent of the US population with perfect genetic matches for transplants.” 
Atala’s work was seized on by Opponents of the embryonic Stem Cell Research Bill  (a part of the 100-Hour Plan of the Democratic Party in the 110th United States Congress ) as a more moral alternative. He wrote a letter saying, inter alia , “Some nov be interpreting my research as a substitute for the need to Pursue other forms of Regenerative medicine therapies, zoals Those Involving embryonic cells voice. I disagree with dat assertion.” 
The company Tengion is attempting to Commercialize some of Atala’s Regenerative medicine technologies. 
Atala has leg widely honored for his scientific contributions. His faculty Web site lists awards and citations which include:
- The Christopher Columbus Foundation Award, bestowed on a living American who is Currently working on a discovery therein will significantly affect society.
- The World Technology Award in Health and Medicine, Presented to personen Achieving significant, lasting progress.
- The Samuel D. Gross Prize, Awarded everytime 5 years to a national leading chirurgische researcher at the Philadelphia Academy of Surgery.
- The Barringer Medal from the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons.
- The Gold cystoscope award from the American Urological Association for advances in the field.
In 2011 he was elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. He was named by Scientific American as a Medical Treatments Leader of the Year for his contributions to the fields of cell, tissue and organ regeneration. Dr. Atala’s work was listed as Time Magazine’s top 10 medical Breakthroughs of the year, and as Discover Magazine’s Number 1 Top Science Story of the Year in the field of medicine in 2007. 
He Serves on the Editorial Board of the scientific journal rejuvenation Research  and the National Board of Advisors for High Point University . 
- Jump up^ http://wfirm.org/faculty_atala.htm
- ^ Jump up to:a b Scientist at Work: Anthony Atala. A Tissue Engineer sows Cells and Grows Organs
- Jump up^ A Tissue Engineer sows Cells and Grows Organs The New York Times
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Nash, Leonard (2004). “Anthony Atala, breakthrough Organic Growth” . Miami Magazine . Archived from the original on 30 March 2015 . Retrieved 19 April 2015 .
- Jump up^ Svoboda, Elizabeth (January 2006). “The Organ Farmer” . Popular Science . 269 (6): 101.
- Jump up^ http://www1.wfubmc.edu/oprd/physdetail.htm?PhysicianID=843
- Jump up^ http://masshightech.bizjournals.com/masshightech/stories/2003/07/21/story8.html [ permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3292
- Jump up^ http://www1.wfubmc.edu/News/NewsARticle.htm?ArticleID=30
- Jump up^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4871540.stm
- Jump up^ Atala A, Bauer SB, Soker S, Yoo JJ, Retik AB (April 2006). “Tissue-engineered autologous bladders for patients needing cystoplasty”. Lancet . 367 : 1241-6. doi : 10.1016 / S0140-6736 (06) 68438-9 . PMID 16631879 .
- Jump up^ http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v25/n1/abs/nbt1274.html
- Jump up^ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/07/AR2007010700674.html
- Jump up^ http://www.american.com/archive/2007/january-0107/an-easy-cell/
- Jump up^ http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/new-stem-cell-source-found-scientists/2007/01/08/1168104904959.html
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2007-02-08 . Retrieved 2007-01-16 .
- Jump up^ House Resumes Stem Cell Research Debate [ permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ Matt Evans,Tengion plans IPO around Atala’s Groundbreaking work, The Business Journal (February 15, 2010)
- Jump up^ “Anthony Atala, MD, Director and Chair” . Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine . Retrieved 17 November 2014 .
- Jump up^ “rejuvenation Research. Editorial Board” . Mary Ann Liebert . Retrieved 17 November 2014 .
- Jump up^ “High Point University National Board of Advisors” .