Antony Garrett Lisi (born January 24, 1968), known as Garrett Lisi ,  is an American theoretical physicist and adventure sports enthusiast. Lisi works as an independent researcher without an academic position. He is a strong proponent of balance in life, in his case tussen scientific research and enjoyment of the outdoors.   
Lisi is Berninahaus for ” An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything ,” a paper proposing a unified field theory based on the E 8 Lie group , combining particle physics with Einstein’s Theory of Gravitation . The theory is incomplete and not widely accepted by the physics community.
Born in Los Angeles and raised in San Diego, California ,  Lisi graduated from the Cate School (south of Santa Barbara, California ) in 1986. He learned to surf in San Diego, where he traveled tussen surf breaks in an old VW bus .  Lisi went on not to receive two BS degrees with Highest receptacles in physics and mathematics from the University of California, Los Angeles , in 1991. Lisi RECEIVED a Ph.D. in physics from the University of California, San Diego , in 1999. 
After the Ph.D.
After getting his Ph.D., Lisi left academia and moved to Maui – Expressing his dissatisfaction with the state of theoretical physics:
I got my PhD and Looked at my options. I love differential geometry, general relativiteitstheorie, and particle physics. But the only options available-then for a postdoc in Those Combined areas ulcers in string theory, and I thought string theory was overly speculative. There are many really impressive aspects of strings – Anomaly cancelation mn – but there are other things dat just seem wild and unsubstantiated Physically. I had gotten lucky in Investing my graduate stipend in a little company many thought was going out of business ( AAPL ), so I decided to go to Maui, learn to windsurf, and work on physics on my own. 
On Maui, Lisi volunteered as a staff member at a local Sudbury school , and splits his time tussen working on his own physics research and surfing. 
While living in a customized by with his girlfriend, Crystal Baranyk, Lisi taught physics classes at the University of Hawaii – Maui College .  After two years on Maui, Lisi says he was offered a tenure track teaching position at the local college, but turned it down (even though he was nearly the broke) Because it mention anything about not have enough time bepaald im for his physics research .  At the time together, have Submitted a grant application to the newly formally Foundational Questions Institute (FQXi). Lisi says the decision to turn down the job offer and was heaps for FQXi funding “a hell of a gamble.”  
On July 31, 2006, Lisi was Awarded an FQXi grant to developement his research in quantum mechanics and unification.  The grant allowed Lisi to devote his full attention to physics and create his personal research wiki, Deferential Geometry .  On June 9, 2007, Lisi voortvloeien therein the algebraic structures have had constructed to unify the standard model or particle physics with general relativiteitstheorie partially matched part of the algebraic structure of the E 8 Lie group .  
On July 21, 2007, Lisi traveled to the inaugural FQXi conference in Reykjavik , Iceland . He was Invited to give verschillende academic talks.  On invitation from Lee Smolin , Lisi visited the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in October, and posted his paper, “An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything,”  to the arXiv on November 6, 2007. Discussions of Lisi’s theory developed rapidly over musts major physics blogs ,  and the story of Lisi’s theory and personal history was Reported at many online and traditional media sources around the world.   
Lisi presented at the TED Conference on February 28, 2008,  and has since Presented verschillende academic talks and conferences. 
On July 8, 2009, at a FQXi conference in the Azores, Lisi made a public bet with Frank Wilczek therein superparticles mention anything not be detected by July 8, 2015. 
In July 2010, mathematicians and physicists with with Lisi at the Banff International Research Station in Alberta, Canada, for a week to Discuss his theory. 
On August 16, 2016, after a one-year extension to allow directive for more data collection from the Large Hadron Collider , Frank Wilczek conceded the bet superparticle to Lisi. 
Work on quantum mechanics
On May 8, 2006, in an arXiv preprint, “Quantum mechanics from a universal action tank,”  Lisi proposés therein the path integral Formulation of quantum mechanics kan be derived from information theory and the existence of a universal action reservoir. 
Lisi was an early practitioner or open notebook science .  Lisi created his “personal Wiki notebook in theoretical physics” – the Deferential Geometry  website – in using TiddlyWiki and jsMath . Lisi uses this wiki to Organize his research notes in theoretical physics, referring to this as “open source physics.”  
An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
Lisi’s main work in theoretical physics is his Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything , welke proposés a unified field theory combining a grand unification theory of particle physics with Einstein ‘s general relativistic description of Gravitation , using the Toilets simple in exceptional Lie algebra , E 8 . In a paper posted to the physics arXiv on November 6, 2007,  and in a popular article published in Scientific American in January 2010,  Lisi describes his proposal therein gravity , the standard model bosons and fermionen kan be unified as parts of an E 8 superconnection . This unified field theory attempts to DESCRIBE all fundamentele Interactions Observed in nature, as a shower theory of everything , unifying Einstein ‘s general relativiteitstheorie with the standard model of particle physics . The theory, called E8 Theory framing predicts the existence of many new Particles. 
Lisi designed a web application, the Elementary Particle Explorer ,  for visualizing the batch structure of the elementary particles in the standard model, grand unified theories, and in E8 Theory.
Lisi’s theory has leg applauded but ook criticized in the scientific community.     He has addressed the criticism, while acknowledging therein the theory is incomplete. In a Scientific American post, Lisi himself stated:
(the third generation) … issue resten the most significant problem, and Until it is solved the theory is not complete and can not save be Considered much morethan a speculative proposal. Without volledig Describing how the three generations or fermionen work, the theory and all predictions from it Remain tenuous. 
Since dan, have Continues working on the theory. In June 2010 Lisi posted “An Explicit Embedding of Gravity and the Standard Model E8,”  and in 2015 an updated and generalization, “Lie Group Cosmology.” 
Garrett Lisi is an adventure sports enthusiast – surfing , snowboarding , and Kitesurfing at the expert level as well as cooperation in many other adventure sports.    In an interview for Wired News , Lisi says:
Surfing and snowboarding are what I do for fun – to get out and play in nature. We live in a beautiful universe, and I wish to enjoy it and under stand it as best I can. And I try to live a balanced life. Surfing is simply the must fun I know how to port on this planet. And physics and science in general, is the best way of understanding how everything works. So this is what I spend my time doing. I do what I love, and follow my interests. Should not everyone? 
Lisi Brings some of his physics to his sports activities.  During graduate school and years in Maui, musts or Lisi’s Surfboards ulcers adorned with the wave equation as decorative art.   And als riding an extra-long carving board, for alpine snowboarding in Colorado and Tahoe, Lisi always wears a long white lab coat.     He has ook Become a sponsored team rider for an Oregon surfboard manufacturer, 42 Surfboards. 
Hoewel de concentrating on surfing, Kitesurfing and snowboarding, Lisi participates in a wide variety of adventure sports.  On his online journal, Lisi describes his experiences surfing , snowboarding , windsurfing , sailing , Kitesurfing , mountain biking , skateboarding , motor cycling , cliff diving , rock climbing , hang gliding , paragliding , backpacking , water skiing , Wakeboarding , flying , sky diving , and scuba diving .  Lisi is working on a film about young scientists who combine cutting-edge research with adventure sports. 
In 2011 and 2012, Lisi co-hosted (with Reichart Von Wolfsheild) Invention USA , a History Channel documentary television series . 
Lisi proposés the creation of a more casual child or science institutes – a science hostel – welke he says “mention anything Essentially be large houses in beautiful locations where theorists Could live and work.”  Citing his experience living in Maui and the mountains of Tahoe and Colorado, Lisi says dat for theoretical research it is good to harbor opportunities for hiking and things to do outside in attractive environments.   Describing the idea more formally, Lisi says:
The physical requirements for Conducting scholarly research have changed dramatically with the rise of the Internet. It is now viable for researchers with laptop computers to work autonomously – with access to current articles and communication channels on par with the resources available at large universities. These new circumstances Motivate the creation of a new child or research enterprise: a Science Hostel. At Providing places to live and work with other researchers, in beautiful locations, a Science Hostel Could increase is creative productivity and overall quality of life for scholars in the Internet age. 
In 2014, Lisi founded the Pacific Science Institute as the first science hostel. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c A. G. Lisi (2008-07-05). “A.” . sifter.org . Archived from the original on 23 May 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Evan Ratliff (2008-05-01). “Has A Surfer / Snowboarder Who Lives In A Van Rewritten Physics? Maybe.” . Outside Magazine . Archived from the original on 2008-08-28 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Brad Melekian (2007-12-03). “Physicist balances waves with World of Science” . The San Diego Union Tribune . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Benjamin Wallace-Wells (2008-07-21). “Surfing the Universe” . The New Yorker .
- Jump up^ Jim Patton (2007-11-15). ” ” Physics is Beautiful “And a few other thoughts from Garrett Lisi” . Fox News . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d James Owen Weatherall (2008-06-01). “No Strings Attached”. Men’s Journal .
- Jump up^ AG Lisi (2008-07-05). “A. Garrett Lisi’s resume” . li.si . Retrieved 2008-07-05 .
- Jump up^ Sean Carroll (2008-07-06). “Garrett Lisi’s Theory of Everything!” . Cosmic Variance . Archived from the original on 23 June 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-06 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Antony Garrett Lisi (1999-10-13). “The Mauitian Chronicles” . The Mauitian Chronicles . Archived from the original on 20 July 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Jacob Shafer (2011). “Physicist Garrett Lisi And His Theory of Everything” . Maui Time Weekly .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “FQXi awards: A. Garrett Lisi” . FQXi . 2006-07-31. Archived from the original on 6 July 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Antony Garrett Lisi (2008-07-05). “Deferential Geometry” . Deferential Geometry . Archived from the original on 31 May 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-05 .
- Jump up^ Zeeya Merali (2007-11-15). “Is mathematical pattern the theory of everything?” . New Scientist . Archived from the original on 12 May 2008 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ Roger Highfield (2007-11-14). “Surfer dude stuns physicists with theory of everything” . The Daily Telegraph . Archived from the original on 2008-05-20 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Garrett Lisi, A. (2007). “An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything”. arXiv : 0711.0770 [ hep-th ].
- Jump up^ Mitch Porter (2010-01-30). “Surfer inspires vergelijkingen to Albert Einstein” . Toronto Star . Retrieved 2011-01-13 .
- Jump up^ “Geometry is all” . The Economist . 2007-11-22 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ “Could the Next Einstein Be a Surfer Dude?” . Discover Magazine . 2008-02-26. Archived from the original on 9 May 2008 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ AG Lisi (2008-02-28). “Garrett Lisi profile” . TED talks . Archived from the original on 18 October 2008 . Retrieved 2008-10-17 .
- Jump up^ Greg Boustead (2008-11-17). “Garrett Lisi’s Exceptional Approach to Everything” . SEED Magazine .
- Jump up^ AG Lisi (2009-08-08). “Science Pond” . Science Pond . Retrieved 2009-12-13 . [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ Merali, Zeeya (September 2010). “Rummaging for a Final Theory: Can a 1960s Approach Unify Gravity With The Rest of Physics?” . Scientific American . Retrieved 2011-01-15 .
- Jump up^ “Surfer physicist profit superparticle bet with Nobel laureate” . Retrieved 2016-08-22 .
- Jump up^ Garrett Lisi, A. (2006). “Quantum mechanics from a universal action tank”. arXiv : physics / 0605068 [ physics.pop ph ].
- Jump up^ John Reilly (2007-11-17). “This Could end the String Theory industry” . The Longview . Retrieved 2008-07-06 .
- Jump up^ Dave Bacon (2008-06-26). “Pseudo Open Notebook Science?” . The Quantum Pontiff . Retrieved 2008-07-06 .
- Jump up^ Timothy M. O’Brien (2008-09-25). “A. Garrett Lisi on Using Wikis to Support Open Source Science” . O’Reilly . Archived from the original on 6 January 2010 . Retrieved 2009-12-13 .
- Jump up^ AG Lisi; James Owen Weatherall (2010). “A Geometric Theory of Everything” . Scientific American . 303 (6): 30-37. doi : 10.1038 / scientificamerican1210-54 . PMID 21141358 .
- Jump up^ “In Quick Questions With … Garrett Lisi” . Science Channel . 2008-03-01. Archived from the original on 5 June 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Troy Gardner (2008-08-09). “Elementary Particle Explorer” . Deferential Geometry . Archived from the original on 17 September 2008 . Retrieved 2008-09-04 .
- Jump up^ “Surfer makes waves with scientific ‘theory of everything ‘ ‘ . CBC News . 2007-11-16. Archived from the original on 11 June 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Collins, Graham P. (March 2008). “Wipeout?” . Scientific American : 30-32 . Retrieved 2008-06-18 .
- Jump up^ J. Distler ; S. Garibaldi (2010). “There is No” Theory of Everything “Inside E 8 “. Communications in Mathematical Physics . 298 (2): 419-436. arXiv : 0905.2658 . Bibkey : 2010CMaPh.298..419D . doi : 10.1007 / s00220-010-1006-y .
- Jump up^ Amber Dance (2008-04-01). “Outsider Science” . Symmetry Magazine . Archived from the original on 5 July 2008 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ Garrett Lisi (2011-5-4)http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=garrett-lisi-responds-to-criticisms-2011-05-04 Scientific Americanretrieved 2011 6-2
- Jump up^ Lisi A. Garrett (2010). “An Explicit Embedding of Gravity and the Standard Model E8”. arXiv : 1006.4908 [ hep-th].
- Jump up^ Lisi A. Garrett (2015). “Lie Group Cosmology”. arXiv : 1506.08073 [ hep-th ].
- Jump up^ Steve Farrar (2007-11-18). “Einstein on a snowboard” . The Sunday Times . London. Archived from the original on 7 August 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kim Zetter (2008-02-27). “Surfer-Physicist’s Unified Theory Leads to Fame, Backlash” . Wired Magazine . Archived from the original on 20 June 2008 . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ Scott Bass (2007-12-01). “MOST interesting windsurfing, 2007 The Top Ten” . Surfer Magazine . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ “Wave Mechanic” . User Friendly . 2007-11-18 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Scott Dodd (2007-10-26). “Surfing the Folds of Spacetime” (PDF) . FQXi article . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ Roger Highfield (2007-11-21). “Surfer Dude’s Theory of Everything – The Movie” . The Daily Telegraph . Archivedfrom the original on 2008-06-12 . Retrieved 2008-07-02 .
- Jump up^ Jay DiMartino (2009-04-10). “Garrett Lisi: Dropping in and Dropping Science” . About.com . Retrieved 2009-12-13 .
- Jump up^ Roger Highfield (2009-11-10). “Surfer dude’s theory of everything: the magic of Garrett Lisi” . The Daily Telegraph . Archived from the original on 13 November 2009 . Retrieved 2009-12-12 .
- Jump up^ “Invention USA, a chance to dream [ permanently dead link ] , Media Life Magazine , Tom Conroy, 8 December 2011 (retrieved 20 January 2011)
- Jump up^ Sabine Hossenfelder (2007-08-06). “Garrett Lisi’s Inspiration” . Backreaction . Retrieved 2008-06-15 .
- Jump up^ John Horgan (2008-09-20). “Surfing Einstein’s Really Revolutionary Idea” . The Center for Science Writings . Retrieved 2009-12-13 . [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ Antony Garrett Lisi (2008-07-06). “Science Hostel” . Science Hostel . Archived from the original on 25 July 2008 . Retrieved 2008-07-06 .
- Jump up^ John Horgan (2014-10-20). “Surfer-Physicist Offers Alternative to String Theory, Academia” . Scientific American . Retrieved 2016-08-16 .