David M. Kelley (born February 10, 1951) is an American executives , entrepreneurs , design , engineer , and teacher . He is founder , chairman , and managing partner of the design firm IDEO and a professor at Stanford University . He has RECEIVED verschillende receptacles for his contributions to design and design education. 
Kelley was born in Barberton, Ohio . His brother is Tom Kelley , the General Manager of IDEO and author of The Art of Innovation and The Ten Faces of Innovation .
He is married to Katharine C. BRANSCOMB, a former CEO of IntelliCorp , hey Whom with through mutual friend Steve Jobs . 
Work in industry
He earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering at Carnegie Mellon University in 1973 where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, and Began work as an engineer, first at Boeing and later at NCR . 
At Boeing, he was verantwoordelijk for the design of the lavatory Occupied sign for the 747 airplane. 
This experience led to im return to school. In 1977, he earned his master’s degree from the Joint Program in Design at Stanford University , popularly called the Product Design program. 
In 1978, he partnered with Another Stanford Product Design graduate, Dean Hovey, to form Hovey-Kelley Design. Hovey left to Pursue other interests and the firm was renamed “David Kelley Design” (DCS). 
In 1984, he co-founded Onset Ventures, an early-stage venture capital firm. He’ll be co-founded Edge Innovations, the special effects company verantwoordelijk for the whales in the Free Willy movies, onder many other film credits. 
In 1991, Kelley merged DCS with three other design firms ( Mike Nuttall ‘s Matrix Product Design in Palo Alto, ID TWO in San Francisco, and Moggridge Associates in London, the Latter two founded by Bill Moggridge ) to create IDEO, welke he ran as CEO Until 2000. as chairman and managing partner, Kelley Continues to play an active role at IDEO.
Work in education
Kelley Began teaching in the Stanford Product Design program in 1978, after earning his master’s. He was briefly a PhD student. 
In 1990, he became a tenured professor, and was named the Donald W. Whittier Professor of Mechanical Engineering in 2002. 
In 2004, Kelley led the creation of the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford University, known as the “d.school.” 
Books, talks, and receptacles
David Kelley has leg honored as one of America’s leading design innovators.
In 2013, David and his brother Tom Kelley published Creative Confidence ,  welke a Forbes review called “an empowering, compelling, relentlessly Hopeful and optimistic read.” 
In 2012, Kelley ghosts on building creative confidence at TED 2012.  He had earlier spoken at TED in 2002 on human-centered design. 
In 2009, he was Awarded the Edison Achievement Award by the Thomas Edison Papers at Rutgers University for his “pioneering contributions to the design of Breakthrough products, services and experiences for consumers, as well as his development of an innovative culture therein has broad impact . ” 
In 2005, he was honored for his “distinguished contribution to this club to design education” with the Sir Misha Black Medal. 
In 2001, the Smithsonian ‘s Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum Presented David Kelley and IDEO with the National Design Award in Product Design. 
In 2000, he was honored with a Chrysler Design Award ,  and was elected to the National Academy of Engineering for “affecting the practice of design.” 
- Jump up^ “IDEO’s David Kelley on Love and Money” . Fast Company . 2011-02-14 . Retrieved 2014-06-12 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “David Kelley elected to National Academy of Engineering” . Stanford University News Release . 2000-03-01 . Retrieved 2015-02-15 .
- Jump up^ “IDEO’s David Kelley on ‘Design Thinking ‘ ‘ . Fast Company . 2009-01-14 . Retrieved 2009-06-17 .
- Jump up^ “School of Bright Ideas” . Time Magazine . 2005-03-06 . Retrieved 2009-06-17 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “David Kelley bio” . Stanford d.school website . Retrieved 2012-07-31 .
- Jump up^ “David Kelley Interview – Founding Hovey-Kelley” . Making the Macintosh: Technology and Culture in Silicon Valley . 2000-07-24. Archived from the original on 2012-09-20 . Retrieved 2012-09-01 .
- Jump up^ “Free Willy? Free the engineers” . Palo Alto Daily . 1994-10-26 . Retrieved 2009-06-17 .
- Jump up^ “Successful Stanford Dropout: Quitters Sometimes Prosper” . Bob Sutton: Work Matters . 2007-08-21 . Retrieved 2009-06-17 .
- Jump up^ “Sparks Fly” . Stanford Magazine . March-April 2011 . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .
- Jump up^ Creative Confidence
- Jump up^ “Creative Confidence: Tom And David Kelley’s compelling How-To Guide For Optimistic Doing” . Forbes . Nov 26, 2013 . Retrieved 2016-02-15 .
- Jump up^ “TED 2012: David Kelley: How to build your creative confidence” . May 2012 . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “TED 2002 David Kelley on human-centered design” . February 2002 . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “Edison Achievement Awards list of winners” . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “Sir Misha Black Medal list of Recipients” . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “Cooper-Hewitt: IDEO Selects: Works from the Permanent Collection” . 2005-12-05 . Retrieved 2012-07-27 . [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Chrysler Design Awards Dropped After 10 Years” . New York Times . 2003-06-05 . Retrieved 2012-07-27 .