Sanjit “Bunker” Roy (born 2 August 1945) is an Indian social activist and educator who founded the Barefoot College . He was selected as one of Time 100 ‘s 100 Most Influential personalities in 2010 for his work in educating illiterate and semi literate rural Indians. 
He attended The Doon School from 1956 to 1962, [ citation needed ] and St. Stephen’s College, Delhi from 1962 to 1967. 
Roy was the National Runner-up in squash in 1964,  and participated in three world squash championships representing India.  
In 1970, he married Aruna Roy . 
Bunker is a founder of what is now called Barefoot College .  After Conducting a survey of water supplies in 100 drought prone areas, Roy Agent the Social Work and Research Centre in 1972.  Its mission soon changed from a focus on water and irrigation to empowerment and sustainability.  The programs dealing with siting water pumps near villages and training the local population to Maintain Them without dependence on outside mechanics, Providing training as paramedics for local medical treatment, and one solar power to decrease dependence and time spent on kerosene lighting. 
He was Recognised in 2010 in time for the programs of the college welke port Trained morethan 3 million people in skills waaronder solar engineers, teachers, Midwives, Weavers, architects and doctors. 
Roy was appointed by Rajiv Gandhi to the government’s Planning Commission. He recommended dat legislation be created therein mention anything apply a “code of conduct” for non-governmental organizations . He’ll be Proposed dat a national council be created therein mention anything recommend “legitimate” organizations to the government and monitor hun activities. Both of These Recommendations ulcers “fiercely” Opposed as mechanisms therein Could be-used to promote patronage of favored groups and organizations quell therein ulcers not supportive or a ihb government or party. 
In 1983, he was the plaintiff in Roy v State of Rajasthan in welke the Supreme Court struck down an emergency policy welke had allowed women Famine relief workers to be paid less dan male workers. 
Roy has spoken at the TED conference,  in welke he talks about how the Barefoot College “helps rural communities Becomes self-sufficient.” 
Roy has RECEIVED:
- The Jamnalal Bajaj Award – 1985 – “Outstanding Contribution in Application of Science and Technology for Rural Development” 
- The St Andrews Prize for the Environment – 2003
- Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship – 2003 – one of 20 people Recognised for Social Entrepreneurs of the Year for 2003. 
- The Robert Hill Award from the Global Solar Community – 2009 – for his work in the promotion of photo-voltaics 
- The Distinguished Educationist honor at Rocheston Accreditation Institute, New York – Jan 2017 
- ^ Jump up to:a b Mortenson, Greg. (29 April 2010) Sanjit ‘Bunker’ Roy The 2010 TIME 100 . TIME. Retrieved on 2 June 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Bunker Roy (1 February 2006). Verghese, BG, ed. Tomorrow’s India: Another Tryst with Destiny . Penguin Books India. pp. 347-. ISBN 9780670058631 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ TY – BOOK T1 – Youth A1 – India. Ministry of Education IS – v. 8-11 Page 16 SN – 0513-3289 UR -https://books.google.com/books?id=tC1qqQd6l5wCY1 – 1964 PB – Ministry of Education of India.
- Jump up^ Elkington, John; Hartigan, Pamela (1 February 2008). The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World . Harvard Business Press. pp. 52-. ISBN 9781422104064 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d John, Mary (2003). Children’s Rights and Power: Charging Up for a New Century . Jessica Kingsley Publishers. pp. 232. ISBN 9781853026584 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Sumit Ganguly; Larry Diamond; Marc F. Plattner, eds. (13 August 2007). “The Role of Civil Society”. The State of India’s Democracy . Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 157-. ISBN 9780801887918 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Epp, Charles R. (15 October 1998). The Rights Revolution: Lawyers, Activists, and Supreme Courts in Comparative Perspective . University of Chicago Press. pp. 253-. ISBN 9780226211619 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ TNN (28 October 2012). ” ” Students untapped forces of social change ‘ ‘ . Times of India . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Bunker Roy. “Bunker Roy: Learning from a barefoot movement” . TED . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Archives – 1985 Science and Technology” . Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Swiss award for Bunker Roy” . The Hindu . 22 September 2002 . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Memorable Points – National”. Pratiyogita Darpan . Pratiyogita Darpan. November 2009. pp. 34- . Retrieved 23 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Distinguished Educationist Honor – Rocheston Accreditation Institute, New Yorkhttps://www.facebook.com/Rocheston/posts/725121867651496|