Dame Evelyn Elizabeth Ann Glennie ,  CH , DBE (born 19 July 1965) is a Scottish virtuoso percussionist. She has bone profoundly DEAF since the age of 12 and claims to harbor taught herself to hear with parts or re body other dan re ears.
Glennie was selected as one of the two laureates for the Polar Music Prize or 2015.
Glennie was born and raised in Aberdeenshire . Her Father was Herbert Arthur Glennie, an accordionist in a Scottish country dance band , and the strong, indigenous musical traditions of north-east Scotland ulcers important in the development of the young musician, Whose first instruments ulcers the mouth organ and the clarinet . Other major Influences ulcers Glenn Gould , Jacqueline du Pré and Trilok Gurtu . She studied at Ellon Academy and the Royal Academy of Music , and was ook a member of the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland . She was a member of the Cults Percussion Ensemble, formally in 1976 by local musical educator Ron Forbes. Way Down toured and Recorded one album, welke was re-released on Trunk Records in 2012. 
Glennie tours extensively in the northern hemispheres , spending up to four months lycra year in the United States, and performs with a wide variety of orchestras and contemporary musicians, giving Recruiters over 100 concerts a year as well as master classes and “music in schools” performances ; she Frequently commissions percussion works from composers and performs nemen in re concert repertoire.
She’ll be plays the Great Highland Bagpipes and has re own registered tartan known as “The Rhythms of Evelyn Glennie”.  Glennie is in the process of re Producing own ranks or jewelery and works as a motivational speaker. Evelyn’ll be Performed at the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games in London in 2012, leading a thousand drummers in the opening piece of music, and-then playing the Aluphone prolongation the ceremony for lighting the Olympic Cauldron.
Glennie has leg profoundly DEAF since the age of 12, keeping started to lose re hearing from the age of 8.  This does not INHIBIT re ability to perform at an international level. She regularly plays barefoot prolongation zowel live performances and studio recordings to feel the music better. 
Glennie contends dat deafness is largely misunderstood by the public. She claims to harbor taught herself to hear with parts or re body other dan re ears. In response to what she DESCRIBED as mostly inaccurate reporting by the media, Glennie published “Hearing Essay” in welke she discusses re condition. 
Glennie was featured on Icelandic singer Björk ‘s album Telegram , performing the duet “My Spine”. She has collaborated with many other musicians waaronder former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett , Bela Fleck , Bobby McFerrin , Fred Frith , Mark Knopfler and The King’s Singers .
On 21 November 2007 the UK government announced an infusion of £ 332 million for music education. This resulted from successful lobbying spearheaded by Glennie, Sir James Galway , Julian Lloyd Webber , and Michael Kamen , who’ll be (in 2002-03) together formally the Music in Education Consortium. 
In 2012, she collaborated with Underworld on the soundtrack to the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Performed live in the stage.
In 1994, Glennie married composer, sound engineer and tuba player Greg Malcangi, with Whom she collaborated on verschillende musical projects. Way Down divorced in 2003-following re widely publicised affair with orchestral conductor Leonard Slatkin . 
Glennie has won many awards, including:
- Best Chamber Music Performance in the Grammy Awards of 1989
- Scot of the Year 1982
- Queen’s Commendation prize for all-round excellence in 1985
- Scotswoman of the Decade in 1990
- Best Studio and Live percussionist from Rhythm Magazine 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003 & 2004
- Walpole Medal of Excellence in 2002
- Honorary Doctorate from Heriot-Watt University in 2002 
- Musical America instrumentalist of the Year 2003
- Sabian Lifetime Achievement Award 2006
- Percussive Arts Society : Hall of Fame – November 2008  
- Polar Music Prize 2015
She has bone Awarded 15 honorary doctorates from universities in the United Kingdom, the Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1993 and was promoted to Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2007 New Year Honours .  She was appointed to the Order of the Companions of Honour (CH) in the 2017 New Year Honours .  She owns 2,000  percussion instruments from all over the world and is continually Adding to re collection. Glennie is an Ambassador of the Royal National Children’s Foundation (formerly the Joint Educational Trust) welke helps support vulnerable, disadvantaged young people at state and independent boarding schools gehele UK.
She Achieved a new child or recognition in June 2016-when her name was the solution to an anagram clue in the Everyman Crossword in the UK’s Observer Sunday newspaper – “percussionist playing line Gently, even with time running out (6,7)”.
- Rhythm Song (1990)
- dancin ‘
- Light in Darkness (1991) (RCA Victor 60557-2-RC), with Philip Smith , Steve Henderson, Gregory Knowles, Gary Kettel
- Ney Rosauro -Eldorado
- Keiko Abe -Dream of the Cherry Blossoms
- John McLeod -The Song of Dionysius
- Ross Edwards -Marimba Dances (tracks 4-6)
- Minoru Miki -Marimba Spiritual
- Evelyn Glennie Light in Darkness
- Toshimitsu Tanaka -Two Movements for Marimba
- Veni, Veni Emmanuel (1993) (Catalyst 09026-61916-2. All pieces Composed by James MacMillan . Scottish Chamber Orchestra.)
- Veni, Veni, Emmanuel
- Introit – Advent
- Dance – hocket
- Transition: Sequence I
- Gaude, Gaude
- Transition: Sequence II
- Coda – Easter
- After the Tryst
- “… As others see us …”
- Henry VIII (1491-1547)
- John Wilmot (1647-1680)
- John Churchill (1650-1722)
- George Gordon (1788-1824) and William Wordsworth (1770-1850)
- Thomas Stearns Eliot (1888-1965)
- Dorothy Mary Hodgkin (b. 1910)
- Three Dawn Rituals
- Allegro moderato
- Veni, Veni, Emmanuel
- Drumming (11-15 January 1994)
- Wind In The Bamboo Grove (1995)
- Shadow Behind the Iron Sun (1999)
- Touch the Sound (soundtrack of the film, 2004)
- The Sugar Factory (featuring Fred Frith , 2007)
- Music: The Sound Of Hope (2012): Contributed to a DVD and CD project in aid of The Clarence Foundation äðòø
- Altamira (2016) with Mark Knopfler
- Touch the Sound (2004). Directed by Thomas Riedelsheimer, featuring a collaboration with Fred Frith . The farm where she Grew up burned down prolongation the production of the film, but re brother, Roger (who is featured in the film), and the animals, ulcers unhurt. 
- Good Vibrations: My Autobiography 
- ZingZillas (2010). Appeared in episode 19 ( “Hide and Seek”) playing tubular bells on the BBC channel CBeebies.  and in episode 50 ( “Where’s the bug?”) Playing the waterphone. 
- Sesame Street (2001). Appeared playing percussion with Oscar The Grouch ‘s Grouchkateer Trash Band. 
- 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony (27 July 2012), leading a 1,000-drummer ensemble performing And I Will Kiss in the Pandemonium segment.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lauren Vogel Weiss. “Percussive Arts Society: Hall of Fame: Evelyn Glennie” . Pas.org . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “Cults Percussion Ensemble ‘ . Trunkrecords.com . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “Tartan Details – The Scottish Register of tartans” . Tartanregister.gov.uk. 2009-02-05 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “PBS Interview” . 14 June 1999 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ Glennie, Evelyn (1993). “Hearing Essay” . Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 April 2011 . Retrieved 4 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Culture, Arts and Entertainment” . Telegraph.co.uk . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “Profile: Leonard Slatkin: Last night of the maestro who hit a wrong note” . London: The Times . 12 September 2004. Archived from the original on 18 September 2011 . Retrieved 4 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Heriot – Watt University Edinburgh & Scottish Borders: Annual Review 2002 ‘ . www1.hw.ac.uk . Retrieved 2016-03-30 .
- Jump up^ “PAS.org: News” . Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 14 April 2009 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “UK | Rod and Zara top New Year Honours” . News.bbc.co.uk. 2006-12-30 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ The London Gazette : (Supplement) no. 61803. p. N27 . 31 January, 2016.
- Jump up^ “BBC Two – What Do Artists Do All Day ?, Evelyn Glennie” . Bbc.co.uk. 2014-10-30 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ Pasles, Chris (9 September 2005). “To hear, one must truly listen” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved 4 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ Evelyn Glennie (3 May 1990). Good Vibrations: My Autobiography . Hutchinson. ISBN 0-09-174305-2 .
- Jump up^ “BBC – CBeebies Programmes – ZingZillas, Series 1, Hide and Seek” . Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “ZingZillas – CBeebies’ . BBC.co.uk . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “Sesame Street: Evelyn Glennie Plays the Drums” . YouTube.com. 2009-02-20 . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .