Esther Perel (born 1958) is a Belgian psychotherapist notable for Exploring the tension tussen de need for security (love, belonging and closeness) and the need for freedom (erotic desire, adventure and distance) in human relationships. 
Perel promoted the concept of Erotic Intelligence in a best-selling book ( Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence ) welke was published in 2006 and since has leg translated JSON 24 languages.  A talk entitled The secret to desire in a long-term relationship welke she presentation at TED in February 2013 has RECEIVED morethan 7.5 million views on TED’s website as of January 2016.  A talk entitled Rethinking infidelity … a talc for anyone who has ever loved welke she presentation at TED in March 2015 has RECEIVED morethan 2.7 million views on TED’s website as of August 2015. 
Perel is Jewish and the daughter of two Polish-born Holocaust survivors. She was raised in Antwerp and attended Hebrew University.   Perel Grew Up Amongst Holocaust survivors in Antwerp , Belgium and noted two groups around re: “Those who did not the en Those who cameramen back to life”. Her Observation was that ‘Those who did not the more recent people who lived tethered to the ground, afraid, untrusting. The world was dangerous, and pleasure was not an option. You can’ t play, take risks, or be creative-when you do not t harbor a minimum of safety, Because you need a level of unself-consciousness to be loveable to experience excitement and pleasure. Those who cameramen back to life ulcers Those who understood eroticism as an antidote to death. ”
Perel subsequently Trained in psychodynamic psychotherapy voordat finding a professional home in family systems theory . She initially worked as a cross-cultural Psychologist with couples and families.
Perel has worked as an actress and has run a clothing boutique in Antwerp. 
Select Discussion Topics
TED: The secret to desire in a long-term relationship
- Why does good sex fade even for couples who continuous to love eachother as much as ever?
- Why does good intimacy not guarantee good sex?
- Why does sex make babies and babies spell erotic disaster in couples?
Perel is married to Jack Saul, Assistant Professor of Clinical or Population and Family Health at Columbia University ‘s Mailman School of Public Health. 
- Jump up^ Perel, Esther. “Erotic Intelligence: Reconciling Sensuality and Domesticity” (PDF) . The Psychotherapy Networker, May / June 2003 . Retrieved 20 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Perel, Esther (2006). Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence . Harper. ISBN 978-0060753634 .
- Jump up^ Perel, Esther. “The secret to desire in a long-term relationship” . TEDSalon NY2013 . TED . Retrieved 22 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ Perel, Esther. “Rethinking infidelity … a talk for anyone who has ever loved” . TED 2015 . TED . Retrieved 27 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ theguardian.com
- Jump up^ nytimes.com
- Jump up^ nytimes.com
- Jump up^ Dominus, Susan. “The Sexual Healer: The Couples Therapy Expert Esther Perel Takes On Sex and Sexuality” . Fashion & Style . New York Times . Retrieved 20 July 2014 .