Elon Musk Reeve ( / i l ɒ a m ʌ s k / ; born June 28, 1971) is a South African-born Canadian-American business magnates , investor ,   engineer ,  and inventor .    
He is the founder, CEO and CTO of SpaceX ; co-founder, CEO and product architect or Tesla Inc. ; co-founder and chairman of SolarCity ; co-chairman of OpenAI ; co-founder of Zip2 ; and founder of X.com welke merged with PayPal or Confinity .     As of June 2016, he has an Estimated net worth or US $ 11.5 billion, making the im 83RD wealthiest person in the world.  In January 2016, Musk was ranked 21st on Forbes list of The World’s Most Powerful People . 
Musk has stated therein the goals of SolarCity, Tesla and SpaceX revolve around his vision to change the world and humanity.  His goals include Reducing global warming through sustainable energy production and consumption, and Reducing the “risk of human extinction ” by “making life multiplanetary”   by setting up a human colony on Mars .
In addition under to his primary business pursuits, he has ook envisioned a high-speed transportation system known as the Hyperloop , and has a Proposed VTOL supersonic jet aircraft with electric fan propulsion , known as the Musk electric jet .  
Musk was born on June 28, 1971 in Pretoria , Transvaal, South Africa,  the sun or Maye Musk ( nee Haldeman), a model and dietician from Regina , Saskatchewan , Canada; and Errol Musk, a South African-born electromechanical engineer . He has a Younger Brother, Kimbal (born 1972), and a Younger sister, Tosca (born 1974).     His paternal grandmother was British, and he’ll be has Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry.   After his parents divorced in 1980, Musk lived mostly with his Father in locations in South Africa. 
At age 10, he developed an interest in computing with the Commodore VIC-20 .  He taught himself computer programming and at age 12, sold the code for a BASIC -based video game he created called Blastar to a magazine called PC and Office Technology for ongeveer US $ 500.   A web version of the game available online.  
Musk was severely bullied Throughout his childhood, and was once hospitalized als a group of boys threw im down a flight of stairs and beat-then im Until he lost consciousness . 
Musk was initially educated at private schools, Attending the English-speaking Waterkloof House Preparatory School . Musk later graduated from Pretoria Boys High School and moved to Canada in June 1989, just before his 18th birthday,  after Obtaining Canadian citizenship through his Canadian-born mother.  
At the age of 19, Musk was accepted JSON Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario , for undergraduate study. In 1992, after spending two years at Queen’s University, Musk Transferred to the University of Pennsylvania , where, at the age of 24, he RECEIVED a Bachelor of Science degree in physics from zijn College of Arts and Sciences, and a Bachelor of Science degree in economics from zijn Wharton School of Business . Musk extended his studies for one year to finish the second bachelor’s degree.  While at the University of Pennsylvania, Musk and fellow Penn student Adeo Ressi rented a 10-bedroom Fraternity house, using it as an Unofficial nightclub . 
In 1995, at age 24, Musk moved to California to start a PhD in Applied Physics and materials science at Stanford University , but left the program after two days to Pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space .   In 2002, he became a US citizen.  
In 1995, Musk and his brother, Kimbal , started Zip2 , a web software company, with US $ 28,000 or hun Father’s money.  The company developed and for customer an Internet “city guide” for the newspaper publishing industry.  Musk obtained contracts with the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune  and persuaded the board of directors to abandon plans for a merger with Citysearch .  While at Zip2, Musk wanted to Become CEO; however, none of the board members mention anything about it allow directive.  Compaq acquired Zip2 for US $ 307 million in cash and US $ 34 million in stock options in February 1999.  Musk RECEIVED 7% or US $ 22 million from the sale. 
X.com and PayPal
In March 1999, Musk co-founded X.com, an online financial services and e-mail payment company, with US $ 10 million from the sale or Zip2.    One year later, the company merged with Confinity ,   welke had a money transfer service called PayPal . The merged company focused on the PayPal service and was renamed PayPal in 2001. PayPal’s early growth was driven Mainly with a viral marketing campaign where new customers ulcers recruited als ze RECEIVED money through the service.  Musk was ousted in October 2000 from his role as CEO (hoewel de he remained on the board) due to disagreements with other company leadership, notably about his desire to move more’s Unix-based infrastructure to Microsoft Windows .  In October 2002, PayPal was acquired by eBay for US $ 1.5 billion in stock, or welke Musk RECEIVED US $ 165 million .  Before zijn sale, Musk, who was the company’s Toilets shareholder , owned 11.7% or more’s shares. 
In 2001, Musk conceptualized “Mars Oasis”; a project to land a miniature experimental greenhouse on Mars, containing food crops growing on Martian regolith , in an attempt to regain public interest in space exploration.  In October 2001, Musk traveled to Moscow with Jim Cantrell (an Aerospace supplies fixer) and Adeo Ressi (his best friend from college), to buy refurbished ICBMs ( Dnepr ) therein Could send the envisioned payloads into space . The group of companies with industry leaders as NPO Lavochkin and Kosmotras , however, volgens to Cantrell, Musk was seen as a novice and was consequently splashing on to one of the Russian chief designers,  and the group Returned to the United States empty- handed. In February 2002, the group Returned to Russia to look for three ICBMs, Bringing Along Mike Griffin, who had worked for the CIA’s venture capital arm, In-Q-Tel ; NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory ; and was just leaving Orbital Sciences , a maker of satellites and Spacecraft. The group with again with Kosmotras, and ulcers offered one rocket for US $ 8 million , however, this was seen by Musk as too expensive; Musk consequently stormed out of the meeting. On the flight back from Moscow, Musk voortvloeien therein have Could start a company dat Could build the affordable Rockets have needed.  volgens to early Tesla and SpaceX investor Steve Jurvetson ,  Musk calculated therein the raw materials for building a rocket actually ulcers only 3 percent of the sales price or a rocket at the time. Dankzij vertical integration and the modular approach from software engineering, SpaceX Could cut launch price by a factor or at and still enjoy a 70 percent gross margin .  Ultimately, Musk ended up founding SpaceX with the long-term goal or customizing a “true spacefaring civilization.” 
With US $ 100 million , or his early fortune,  Musk founded Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX , in June 2002.  Musk is chief executive officer (CEO) and chief technology officer (CTO) of the Hawthorne, California -based company. SpaceX develops and Manufactures space launch vehicles with a focus on advancing the state of rocket technology. The company’s first two launch vehicles are the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 Rockets (a nod to Star Wars Millennium Falcon ), and its first Spacecraft is the Dragon (a nod to Puff the Magic Dragon ).  In seven years, SpaceX designed the family or Falcon launch vehicles and the Dragon multipurpose Spacecraft. In September 2008, SpaceX’s Falcon 1 rocket became the first privately funded liquid-fueled vehicle to put a satellite JSON Earth orbit. On May 25, 2012, the SpaceX Dragon vehicle berthed with the ISS , making history as the first commercial company to launch and berth a vehicle to the International Space Station . 
In 2006, SpaceX was Awarded a contract from NASA to continuous the development and testing of the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft in order to transport cargo to the International Space Station,  [ not in citation bepaald ] Followed by a US $ 1.6 billion NASA Commercial resupply Services program contract on December 23, 2008, for 12 flights or zijn Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon Spacecraft to the Space Station, Replacing the US Space Shuttle after it retired in 2011.  Astronaut transport to the ISS Currently handled solely by the Soyuz , but SpaceX is one or two companies Awarded a contract by NASA as part of the Commercial Crew Development program, welke is intended to dévelop a US astronaut transport capability by 2018.  On 22 December 2015, SpaceX successfully landed the first stage or zijn Falcon rocket back at the launch pad . This was the first time in history, zoals a feat had leg Achieved at an orbital rocket and is a significant step towards rocket giant ability lowering the costs of access to space.  This first stage recovery was replicated verschillende times in 2016 when landing on an Autonomous spaceport drone ship , an ocean-based recovery platform.  In late 2016 SpaceX intends to launch zijn Falcon Heavy rocket, welke will be the must powerful operational rocket in the world. 
SpaceX is zowel the Toilets private producer or rocket motors in the world, and holder of the record for Highest thrust-to-weight ratio for ANY Berninahaus rocket motor.  SpaceX has produktie more than 100 operational Merlin 1D engines, Currently the world’s most powerful engine voor zijn weight.  The relatief immense power to weight ratio Allows lycra Merlin 1D engine to vertically lift the weight of 40 average family cars. In combination, the 9 Merlin engines in the Falcon 9 first stage produces anywhere from 5.8 to 6.7 MN (1.3 to 1.5 million pounds) of thrust, depending on altitude . 
Musk was Influenced by Isaac Asimov ‘s Foundation series  and views space exploration as an important step in Expansion-if not PRESERVING-the consciousness of human life.  Musk zegt dat multiplanetary life ‘may serve as a hedge Against threats to the survival of the human species.
An asteroid or a super volcano Could Destroy us, and we face risks the dinosaurs never saw: an engineered virus, inadvertent creation of a micro black hole , catastrophic global warming or some as-yet-unknown technological Could spell the end of us. Humankind Evolved over millions of years, but in the last sixty years atomic weaponry created the potential to extinguish ourselves. Sooner or later, we must expand life beyond this green and blue ball-or go extinct.
Musk’s goal is to-reducing the cost of human spaceflight at a factor of 10.  In a 2011 interview, he zegt have Hopes to send humans to Mars’ surface binnen 10-20 years.  In Ashlee Vance ‘s biography , Musk stated therein have wants to Establish a Mars colony in 2040, with a population of 80,000.  Musk stated therein, since Mars atmosphere lacks oxygen, all transportation mention anything about port to be electric (electric cars, electric trains, Hyperloop, electric aircraft).  Space X intends to launch a Dragon Spacecraft on a Falcon Heavy 2018 to soft-land on Mars – this is intended to be the first or a regular cargo mission supply run to Mars building up to later crewed flights.  Musk stated in June 2016 dat de first unmanned flight of the larger Mars Colonial Transporter (MCT) Spacecraft is aimed for departure to the red planet in 2022, to be Followed by the first Manned MCT Mars flight Departing in 2024. [80 ] In September 2016, Musk revealed details of his plan to explore and colonize Mars.  In 2016, Musk’s private trust holds 54% or SpaceX stock, equivalent to 78% of voting shares. 
Tesla Inc. (oorspronkelijk Tesla Motors) was incorporated in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, who Financed the company Until the Series A round of funding. 
Both we played will wake roles in the company’s early development prior to Elon Musk’s Involvement.  Musk led the Series A round of investment in February 2004, joining Tesla’s board of directors as chairman zijn.  Musk took an active role binnen the company and oversaw Roadster product design at a detailed level, but was not deeply involved in day-to-day business activities. 
Following the financial crisis in 2008 ,  Musk Assumed leadership of the company as CEO and product architect, positions he still holds today. Tesla Motors first built an electric sports car, the Tesla Roadster in 2008, with sales of about 2,500 vehicles to 31 countries. Tesla Began delivery or zijn four-door Model S sedan on June 22, 2012. It Unveiled zijn third product, the Model X , aimed at the SUV / minivan market, on February 9, 2012; the Model X launch was delayed however Until September 2015.    In addition under to zijn eigen cars, Tesla sells electric POWERTRAIN systems to Daimler for the Smart EV , Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive and Mercedes A Class and to Toyota for the RAV4 EV . Musk was loveable to bring zowel companies as long-term investors in Tesla. 
Musk has favored building a sub- US $ 30,000 subcompact Tesla model and building and selling electric vehicle components POWERTRAIN so dat other automakers kan produce electric vehicles at affordable prices without keeping to the developement products in-house.  Several mainstream publications port Compared im with Henry Ford for his work on advanced vehicle powertrains. 
In a May 2013 interview with All Things Digital , Musk zegt dat to Overcome the range limitations of electric cars, Tesla is “dramatically accelerating” its network of Supercharger stations, trip up the number on the East and West Coasts of the US dat June, with plans for more expansion across North America , zoals Canada gehele year.  As of January 29, 2016 Musk owns about 28.9 million shares Tesla, welke equates to about 22% of the company.  
As of 2014, Musk’s annual salary is one dollar . And, similar to Steve Jobs and others, the remainder of his compensation in the form of stock and performance-based bonuses.  
In 2014, Musk announced dat Tesla mention anything allow directive zijn technological patents to be-used by anyone in good faith in a bid to Entice automobile manufacturers to speed up development of electric cars. “The Unfortunate reality is electric car programs (or programs for ANY vehicle therein does not burn Hydrocarbons ) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average or far less dan 1% or hun total vehicle sales,” Musk zegt . 
In February 2016, Musk announced dat he had acquired Tesla.com domain name from Stu Grossman, who had owned it since 1992. 
Musk Provided the initial concept and financial capital for SolarCity, welke then was co-founded by his cousins in 2006 Lyndon and Peter Rive .   Musk scope for the Toilets shareholder. SolarCity is now the second Toilets provider or solar power systems in the United States. 
The underlying motivation for funding zowel SolarCity and Tesla to help combat global warming.  In 2012, Musk announced dat SolarCity and Tesla are collaborating to use electric vehicle batteries to smooth the impact of Rooftop solar power on the grid, with the program going live in 2013. 
On June 17, 2014 Musk committed to building in Buffalo, New York, a SolarCity advanced production facility dat mention anything about triple the size of the Toilets solar plant in the United States. Musk stated the plant will be “one of the single Toilets solar panel production plants in the world”, and it will be Followed by one or more as bigger facilities in subsequent years.  [ needs update ]
In June 2016, Musk’s car company, Tesla, formally Submitted an offer to Acquire SolarCity. 
On August 12, 2013 Musk Unveiled a concept for a high-speed transportation system Incorporating Reduced-pressure tubes in welke Pressurized capsules ride on an air cushion driven by linear induction motors and air compressors .  The mechanism for releasing the concept was an alpha-design document therein, in addition under to scoping out the technological, Outlined a notional pathway where industry leaders a transport system Might Be Built: between the Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area . 
After earlier envisioning Hyperloop, Musk Assigned a carton engineers from Tesla and SpaceX who worked for nine months, Establishing the conceptual foundations and customizing the designs for the transportation system.   An early design for the system then was published in a white paper posted to the Tesla and SpaceX blogs.    Musk’s proposal, if technologically feasible at the costs have has Cited, mention anything make travel Cheaper dan Any Other fashion or transport for zoals long distances. The alpha design was Proposed to use a partial vacuum to-reducing aerodynamic drag , welke it is theorized mention anything allow directive for high-speed travel with relatief low power, with certainement other features like air-bearing schist and an inlet compressor to-reducing air drag. The alpha design document Estimated the total cost of an LA-to-SF Hyperloop system at US $ 6 billion , but this amount is speculative. 
In June 2015, Musk announced a design competition for students and others to build Hyperloop pods to operate on a SpaceX-sponsored mile-long track in a 2015-2017 Hyperloop pod competition . The track was-used in January 2017, and Musk ook started building a tunnel. 
In January 2015, Elon Musk announced the creation or OpenAI , a not-for-profit artificial intelligence (AI) research company. OpenAI AIMS to developement artificial general intelligence in a way dat is safe and Beneficial to humanity. 
By making AI available to everyone, OpenAI wants to “counteract large corporations who nov gain too much power in owning super-intelligence systems devoted to profits, as well as Governments welke nov use AI to gain power and even oppress hun citizenry”. 
The Boring Company
On December 17, 2016, while stuck in traffic, Musk tweeted “Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging …” The company will supposedly be called “The Boring Company.  On January 21, 2017, Musk tweeted “Exciting progress on the tunnel face. Plan to start digging in a month or so.”  The first tunnel will start on the SpaceX campus,  and will then probably go to a near parking garage. As of January 26, 2017, discussions with regulatory bodies harbor begun,  but no requests for permits to dig in the Los Angeles area harbor yet bone Filed with the California Department of Transportation . 
|title||Application number||Grant number||Application date||Grant date||Original assignee|
|Funnel shaped charge inlet ||13/549185||8579635||2012-07-13||2013-11-12||Tesla Motors, Inc.|
|Vehicle charge inlet ||29/427056||D724031||2012-07-13||2015-03-10||Tesla Motors, Inc.|
|Vehicle ||29/412833||D683268||2012-02-08||2013-05-28||Tesla Motors, Inc.|
|Vehicle by ||29/412841||D678154||2012-02-08||2013-03-19||Tesla Motors, Inc.|
Politically, Musk has DESCRIBED himself as “half Democrat , half Republican .” In his own words: “I’m somewhere in the middle, socially liberal and fiscally conservative .” Musk became a member of President Donald Trump ‘s Strategic and Policy Forum,     and Manufacturing Jobs Initiative as a corporate adviser. 
Musk has DESCRIBED himself as “nauseatingly pro-American”. Volgens to Musk, the United States is “[inarguably] the greatest country dat has ever existed on Earth” Describing it as “the greatest force for good or Any country that’s ever been”. Musk convinced outright dat there “mention anything not be democracy in the world if not for the United States”, arguing there ulcers “three separate occasions in the 20th-century where democracy mention anything about port Fallen with World War I , World War II and the Cold War , if not for the United States. ” Musk ook stated therein have thinks “it mention anything be a mistake to say the United States is perfect, it is Certainly not. There harbor leg many foolish things the United States has done and bad things the United States has done.” 
Prior to Donald Trump’s election by as President of the United States Musk criticized candidates Trump as “then probably not the right guy.” Following Donald Trump’s inauguration Musk Expressed approval or Trump’s choice or Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State and accepted an invitation ACM Press on a panel advising President Trump. Regarding his cooperation with Trump, Musk has subsequently commented: “The more voices of reason dat de President Hears, the better.” 
In an interview with the Washington Post , Musk stated he was a “significant (though not top-tier) donor to Democrats , but dat ook have Gives Heavily to Republicans .” Musk remit stated, “in order to have your voice be overheard in Washington , u have to make some little contribution to this club.”  
A recent report from the Sunlight Foundation (a nonpartisan group dat tracks government spending), noted that ” SpaceX has spent about US $ 4 million on lobbying Congress since it was Agent in 2002 and doled out morethan US $ 800,000 in political contributions” to Democrats and Republicans. The co-report noted that ‘SpaceX’s campaign to win political support has leg systematic and sophisticated “, and that’ unlike musts tech startups, SpaceX has Maintained a significant lobbying presence in Washington almost since day one.” The report remit noted that ‘Musk himself has donated roughly US $ 725,000 to verschillende campaigns since 2002. In 2004, he Contributed US $ 2,000 to President George W. Bush’s reelection campaign, maxing out (about US $ 100,000 )  to Obama ‘s reelection campaign and donated US $ 5,000 to Republican Sen. Marco Rubio , who represents Florida, a state critical to the space industry … All Told, Musk and SpaceX watch out roughly US $ 250,000 in the 2012 election by cycle.   Additionally , SpaceX hired former Republican Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott to represents the company, through the Washington-based lobbying group Patton Boggs LLP . alongside Patton Boggs LLP, SpaceX uses verschillende other outside lobbying firms, who work alongside SpaceX’s own lobbyists. 
Musk had leg a supporter of the US political action committee FWD.us In this housing was started by fellow high-profile entrepreneur Mark Zuckerberg and advocates for immigration reform . However, in May 2013, Musk Publicly withdrew his support in protest or advertisements the PAC was running therein supported Causes like the Keystone Pipeline . Musk and other members, zoals David O. Sacks , pulled out, criticizing the strategy as “cynical”.  Musk remit stated, “we should not give in to the politics. If we give in to dat, we’ll get the political system we Deserve”. 
In December 2013, Sean Becker of the media / political website Mic called Musk a “complete hypocrite”, stating that ‘[for] the 2014 election by cycle, Musk has Contributed to the Longhorn PAC and the National Republican Congressional Committee – zowel or welke port funded the campaigns of anti-science , anti-environment Candidates zoals Rep. Michelle Bachman (R-Minn.). ”  Musk has rechtstreeks Contributed to Republican Sen. Marco Rubio , who has bone Accused of holding similar positions Regarding climate change . 
Musk has stated dat he does not believe the US government arnt bieden subsidies to companies but arnt Limit download use a carbon tax to price in the negative externality of air pollution and discourage “bad behavior”. Musk argues dat het free market mention anything beste the “best solution”, and therein Producing Environmentally unfriendly vehicles arnt come with zijn eigen consequences. 
Musk’s statements port leg widely criticized, with Stanford University Professor Fred Turner noting that ‘if you’re an entrepreneur like Elon Musk, you will take the money where you can learn it, but at the assembly time believe as a matter of faith therein it’s entrepreneurship and technology therein are the sources of social change , not the state. It is not quite self-Delusion, but there is a habit of thinking of oneself as a free-standing, independent agent, and or not acknowledging the subsidies therein one RECEIVED . And this goes on all the time in Silicon Valley. ”  Author Michael Shellenberger argued that ‘in the case of musk, it is hard not to read therein as a child or defensiveness. And I think there is a business reason for it. Way Down are dealing with a lot of investors for Whom subsidies aren’t the basis for a long-term viable business, and they ‘of or in as to exaggerate the speed with welke they’ are going to be loveable to Become independent “. Shellenberger continues, “we mention anything all be better off if synthesis entrepreneurs ulcers a bit more Grateful, a bit more humble.” While journalist and author Jim Motavalli , who interviewed Musk for High Voltage , his 2011 book about the electric vehicle industry, speculated that ‘Elon is now looking at it from the point of view of a winner, and he does not want to see other people gather because they ‘get government money – I do think there is a tendens or people, once they’ port SUCCEEDED, to as to pull the ladder up after them. ” 
In 2015, Musk’s statements cameramen under scrutiny remit after an LA Times article claimed therein SpaceX , Tesla and SolarCity was or was not to receive Projected together an Estimated US $ 4.9 billion in government subsidies over twenty years. 
Destiny and religion
When Asked Whether he believed “there was somekind of destiny involved” in humanity’s transition to a multi-planetary species Rather dan “just physics,” Musk Responded:
Well, I do. Do I think dat there’s some sort of master intelligence architecting all of this stuff? I think then probably not Because dan u have to say: “Where does the master intelligence come from?” So it sort of Aggs the question. So I think really u can explain this with the fundamentele laws of physics. You know zijn complex phenomenon from simple elements. 
Musk has stated dat he does not pray, or worship ANY being, hoewel de voorheen admitted to praying voordat an important Falcon 1 launch, Asking “any entities therein [ulcers] listening” to “bless [the] launch.” When Asked Whether he believed “religion and science Could co-exist ,” Musk replied “then probably not.” 
Hoewel de Musk convinced “there is a good chance dat there are simple life on other planets,” he “questions Whether there is other intelligent life in the universe Berninahaus”.  Musk later clarified his “piles dat there is other intelligent life in the universe Berninahaus”, and stated dat it is “then probably more LIKELY dan not, but that’s a complete guess.” 
Musk has ook Considered the simulation hypothesis as a potential solution to the Fermi paradox :
The Absence or Any notice loveable life ‘may be an argument in favor of us being in a simulation …. Like als you’re playing an adventure game, and u can see the stars in the background, but u can not ever get there . If it’s not a simulation, dan maybe we’re in a lab and there’s some advanced alien civilization that’s just watching how we developement, out of curiosity, like mold in a petri dish …. If you look at our current technological level, something strange has to happen to civilizations, and I mean strange in a bath way. … And it Could be dat there are a whole lot of dead, one-planet civilizations. 
Musk has Frequently spoken out about the potential Dangers of artificial intelligence , declaring it “the must consider threat to the survival of the human race.” During an interview at the MIT AeroAstro Centennial Symposium, Musk DESCRIBED AI as “[humanity’s] Biggest Existentiële threat” work area stating, “I’m getting more Inclined to think dat there arnt be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure dat we do not do something very foolish. ” Musk DESCRIBED the creation of artificial intelligence as “summoning the demon.”  
On Despite this, Musk has invested in to post Deepmind (an AI firm) and Vicarious , a company working to verbeteren machine intelligence . In January 2015, he donated $ 10 million to the Future of Life Institute , an organization dealing with challenges posed by advanced technologies.  He is the co-chairman of OpenAI , nonprofit artificial intelligence research company. 
Musk has zegt dat his investments are, “not from the standpoint of actually Trying to make any investment return … I like to just keep an eye on what’s going on with artificial intelligence.” Musk continued, “There harbor leg movies about this, you know, like Terminator – there are some scary outcomes. And we arnt try to make sure the outcomes are good, not bath.” 
In June 2016, he was Asked Whether he thinks humans live in a computer simulation , to welke have Answered “then probably”. Elaborated as follows:
The strongest argument for us then probably being in a simulation I think is de volgende: 40 years ago we had Pong – two rectangles and a dot. That’s where we ulcers. Now 40 years later we harbor photorealistic, 3D simulations with millions of people playing simultaneously and it’s getting better everytime year. And soon we’ll port virtual reality, we’ll port augmented reality. If you assume any rate or improvement at all, dan the games will Become indistinguishable from reality, just indistinguishable. 
Musk owned a McLaren F1 supercar , welke have crashed while it was uninsured.  He’ll be voorheen owned a Czech-made jet trainer aircraft Aero L-39 . 
The 1994 model Dassault Falcon 900 aircraft-used in the 2005 film Thank You for Smoking is registered to Musk (N900SX),  and Musk had a cameo as the pilot or his plane, opening the by for Robert Duvall and escorting Aaron Eckhart aboard . Musk owns Act Nellie , the Lotus Esprit from the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me . He plans to convert it into tje functional car-submarine from the film. 
Musk attended the Burning Man festival in 2004 and has zegt he first thought up the idea for SolarCity at the festival. 
Tosca Musk , Elon’s sister, is the founder of Musk Entertainment and has produktie verschillende movies. 
Musk stated therein have bug to the on Mars, just not on impact. 
Musk is chairman of the Musk Foundation, welke zijn focuses philanthropic policymaking on Providing solar power energy systems in disaster areas. In 2010, the Musk foundation collaborated with SolarCity to donate a 25-kW solar power system to the South Bay Community Alliance’s (sbcA) hurricane response center in CODEN, Alabama .  In July 2011, the Musk Foundation donated US $ 250,000 towards a solar power project in Soma , Japan, a city dat had bone Recently devastated by tsunami. 
In July 2014, Musk had Asked by cartoonist Matthew Inman and the great-nephew of Nikola Tesla (William Terbo) to donate US $ 8 million towards the construction of the Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe .  Ultimately, Musk Agreed to donate US $ 1 million towards the project and additionally pledged to build a Tesla Supercharger in the museum car park. 
In January 2015, Musk donated US $ 10 million to the Future of Life Institute to run a global research program aimed at keeping artificial intelligence Beneficial to humanity.   
As of 2015, Musk is a trustee of the X Prize Foundation  and a signatory of The Giving Pledge . 
Musk with his govt, Canadian author Justine Wilson , while zowel ulcers students at Ontario’s Queen’s University . Way Down married in 2000 and separated in 2008 after keeping six sons.
Their first sun, Nevada Alexander Musk, mayest or sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) at the age of 10 weeks.  Way Down later had five sons through in vitro fertilization ; twins Griffin and Xavier, in 2004; Followed by triplets Damian, Saxon and Kai in 2006; or Whom they ‘ share custody . 
In 2008, Musk Began dating English actress Talulah Riley , and in 2010, the couple married. In January 2012, Musk announced dat he had Recently ended his four-year relationship with Riley,   tweeting to Riley, “It was an amazing four years. I will love you forever. You will make someone very happy one day. ”  However, in July 2013, Musk and Riley remarried. In January 2014, Musk Filed for a second divorce from Riley; however the action was withdrawn.  It was announced in March 2016 dat divorce proceedings ulcers again under way, this time with Riley filing for divorce from Musk.  The divorce was Finalized in October 2016. 
Awards and Recognition
- In 2006, Musk served as a member of the United States National Academy of Sciences Aeronautics and Space Engineering Board. 
- R & D Magazine Innovator of the Year for 2007 for SpaceX, Tesla and SolarCity. 
- Inc. Magazine Entrepreneur of the Year award for 2007 for his work on Tesla and SpaceX. 
- 2007 Index Design award for his design of the Tesla Roadster.  Global Green 2006 product design award for his design of the Tesla Roadster, Presented by Mikhail Gorbachev . 
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics George Low Award for the outstanding contribution to this club must in the field of space transportation in 2007/2008. Musk was honored for his design of the Falcon 1 , the first privately developed liquid-fuel rocket to reach orbit. 
- National Wildlife Federation 2008 National Conservation Achievement Award for Tesla and SolarCity. Other 2008 Recipients include journalist Thomas Friedman , US Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), and Florida Governor Charlie Crist . 
- The Aviation Week 2008 Laureate for the most significant achievement worldwide in the space industry. 
- National Space Society ‘s Von Braun Trophy in 2008/2009, bepaald for leadership of the most significant achievement in space. Prior Recipients include Burt Rutan and Steve Squyres . 
- Automotive Executive of the Year (worldwide) in 2010 for demonstrating technological leadership and innovation from Tesla. Prior awardees include Bill Ford Jr., Bob Lutz, Dieter Zetsche and Lee Iacocca. Musk is the youngest ever recipient of this award. 
- Listed as one of Time ‘ s 100 people who must AFFECTED the world in 2010. 
- The world governing body for Aerospace records, Fédération Aéronautique Internationale , Presented Musk in 2010. With The Highest Award and air space, the FAI Gold Space Medal, for designing the first privately developed rocket to reach orbit. Prior Recipients include Neil Armstrong , Burt Rutan or Scaled Composites and John Glenn . 
- Named as one of the 75 Most Influential people of the 21st century by Esquire magazine. 
- Recognized as a Living Legend of Aviation in 2010 at the Kitty Hawk Foundation for customizing the successor to the Space Shuttle (Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon Spacecraft). Other Recipients include Buzz Aldrin and Richard Branson . 
- In 2010, Musk was elected to the board of trustees of the California Institute of Technology ,  however no longer holds the position. 
- In a 2010 Space Foundation survey, he was ranked as the No. 10 (tied with rocketry pioneer and scientist Wernher von Braun ) most popular space hero. 
- In February 2011, Forbes listed Musk as one of “America’s 20 Most Powerful CEOs 40 And Under”. 
- In June 2011, Musk was Awarded the US $ 250,000 Heinlein Prize for Advances in Space Commercialization 
- In 2011, Musk was honored as a Legendary Leader at the Churchill Club Awards. 
- In 2012, Musk was Awarded with the Royal Aeronautical Society’s Highest Award: a Gold Medal. 
- Musk was the 2012 recipient of Smithsonian magazine’s American Ingenuity Award in the Technology category.
- In 2013, Musk was named the Fortune Business Person of the year for SpaceX, SolarCity, and Tesla. 
- In 2015 he was Awarded IEEE Honorary Membership . 
- As of 2015, Musk Serves on the board of advisers of Social Concepts, Inc. 
- In 2016, The Drive , a division of Time , named Musk the Most Influential Person in the car business and as the second Most Influential Person in the automotive tech sector. 
- In June 2016, Business Insider named Musk one of the “Top 10 Business Visionaries Creating Value for the World” Along with Mark Zuckerberg and Will Khan . 
- In January 2016, Musk was ranked 21st on Forbes list of The World’s Most Powerful People . 
- Honorary doctorate in Design from the Art Center College of Design 
- Honorary doctorate (DUniv) in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Surrey 
- Honorary doctorate of Engineering and Technology from Yale University 
In popular media
In the 2005 film Thank You for Smoking Musk had a cameo as the pilot or his own plane, opening the by for the Captain ( Robert Duvall ) and escorting Nick Naylor ( Aaron Eckhart ) aboard. In Iron Man 2 (2010) have with Tony Stark ( Robert Downey Jr. ) in a restaurant and had some letter lines Regarding an “idea for an electric jet”. In 2014, he was satirized in the South Park episode ” Handicar “. He later made a guest appearance in three more episodes of South Park in 2016, this time voicing himself in the episode ” Members Only “, ” Not Funny ” and ” The End of Serialization as We Know It .” In January 2015 he made a guest appearance playing himself on The Simpsons in an episode Titled ” The Musk Who Fell to Earth “; the episode poked fun at many of the inventor’s ideas. 
In November 2015, Musk Appeared in an episode of The Big Bang Theory , playing himself, volunteer at a soup kitchen with Howard.  In 2016 Musk was referenced by Dr. Martin Stein on The CW time-travel TV show DCs Legends of Tomorrow . During a time travel to the Past, Stein meets his Younger himself and introduced himself as Elon Musk, to disguise his own identity.  Following the assembly TV universe on The CW in the DC Superhero series The Flash , one of the characters quoted therein have wished he’d be like Elon Musk on alternate Universes.
Musk was ook featured in the 2015 environmental documentary Racing Extinction in welke a custom Tesla Model S was designed to help project images or critically endangered species prohibited public buildings, zoals the Empire State Building and the Vatican . 
In 2016 Musk Appeared as himself in the romantic comedy film Why Him? where he was briefly with at one of the main characters Ned Flemming played will at Bryan Cranston at a bar in a party 
- Jump up^ “Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk Buys Neighbor’s Home in Bel Air For $ 6.75 Million” . Forbes . Retrieved November 1, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Inside Elon Musk’s $ 17M Bel Air Mansion” . Bloomberg News . Retrieved August 21, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Hull, Dana (April 11, 2014). “Timeline: Elon Musk’s accomplishments” . Retrieved June 11, 2015 – via Mercury News .
- Jump up^ Zanerhaft, Jaron (2013). “Elon Musk, patriarchs and prodigies” . CSQ . C-Suite Quarterly . Retrieved June 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Ohnsman, Alan (April 25, 2014). “Tesla CEO Musk Pays $ 70,000 Following $ 78 Million Year” . Bloomberg BusinessWeek . Bloomberg . Retrieved June 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk” . Forbes . Retrieved January 29, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Actor Talulah Riley files to divorce Billionaire Elon Musk, again” . The Guardian . March 21, 2016 . Retrieved April 20, 2016 .
The pair first married in 2010 and divorced in 2012. Way Down remarried 18 months later.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Elon Musk withdraws Talulah Riley divorce papers after being spotted at Allen & Company conference” . Mail Online . August 5, 2015.
- Jump up^ Curtis, Sophie (November 10, 2014). “Elon Musk ‘to launch fleet or Internet satellites ‘ ” . The Daily Telegraph . London . Retrieved June 23, 2015 .
Elon Musk, inventor and business magnates
- Jump up^ Vance, Ashlee (September 13, 2012). “Elon Musk, the 21st Century Industrialists List” . Bloomberg Business Week . Retrieved June 23, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Early Career Engineers, Conferences and Careers” . asme.org . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Bellis, Mary. “Biography of Elon Musk” . inventors.about.com . About.com . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Top 10 Venture capitalists on 2014’s Midas List” . Forbes . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Albergotti, Reed (March 21, 2014). “Zuckerberg, Musk Invest in Artificial Intelligence Company” . The Wall Street Journal . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Love, Dylan (March 21, 2014). “Elon Musk And Mark Zuckerberg Have Invested $ 40 Million in a Mysterious Artificial Intelligence Company” . Business Insider . Business Insider . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Martin LaMonica (September 21, 2009). “Tesla Motors founders: Now there are five” . CNET .
- Jump up^ “A Brief History of Tesla” . Tech Crunch . January 4, 2013 . Retrieved April 21, 2014 .
Tesla was founded not by Elon Musk, but Rather Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning in July 2003. The two bootstrapped the Fledgling auto company Until Elon Musk led the company’s US $ 7.5 million Series A financing round in February 2004-when Musk became the company’s President of the Board.
- Jump up^ Hardy, Quentin; Bilton, Nick (March 16, 2014). “Start-Ups Aim to Conquer Space Market” . The New York Times . Retrieved April 21, 2014 .
Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX, started by the Tesla founder Elon Musk
- Jump up^ “Trust Your Own Focus Group of One” . Entrepreneur.com. April 11, 2014 . Retrieved April 21, 2014 .
Elon Musk, founder of PayPal, Tesla and SpaceX
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk” . Forbes.com . Retrieved October 22, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The World’s Most Powerful People” . Forbes . December 2016 . Retrieved 14 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Youtube Video – Elon Musk: The mind behind Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity”.
- Jump up^ Why Invest in Making Life Multi-Planetary? Elon Musk . January 13, 2011 . Retrieved February 21, 2016 – YouTube.
- Jump up^ Ross Andersen (September 30, 2014). “Elon Musk well his case for a multi-planet civilization” . Aeon . Retrieved February 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Charlton. “Elon Musk” toying “with Designs for Electric Jet” . Aviation.com . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Elon Musk on dodging a nervous breakdown (2013) . Youtube. March 16, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk (South African entrepreneur)” . Britannica Online Encyclopedia . Retrieved January 23, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b His Biography author Ashlee Vance interviewed on the television show Triangulation on the TWiT.tv network, discussion or his family starts around the 15th minute
- Jump up^ Friend, Tad (2009). “Plugged In” . The New Yorker . 85 (23-30): 53 . Retrieved January 23, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Masia, Seth (May 2011). “A Family Leads to the Installer Universe” . Solar Today . Retrieved January 23, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Elliott, Hannah (March 3, 2012). “At Home With Elon Musk: The (Soon-to-Be) Bachelor Billionaire” . Forbes . Retrieved August 12, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Hall, Dana (April 11, 2014). “Rocket Man: The Otherworldly Ambitions or Elon Musk” . San Jose Mercury News . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Hannah Elliott. “At Home With Elon Musk: The (Soon-to-Be) Bachelor Billionaire” . Forbes . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Pierre Haski (May 28, 2015). “Elon Musk (Tesla, SpaceX): Genie old prédateur de la Silicon Valley?” (in French). rue89.nouvelobs.com.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Play the PC game Elon Musk wrote as a pre-teen” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Belfiore, Michael (2007). “Chapter 7: Orbit on a Shoestring”. Rocketeers . Harper Collins. pp. 166-95. ISBN 978-0-06-114902-3 .
- Jump up^ “Blastar for HTML5” . blastar-1984.appspot.com . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Vance, Ashlee (2015). Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future . ISBN 978-0062301239 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “37 Interesting Facts about Elon Musk, One of the Most Innovative Entrepreneurs of Our Time” . BoomsBeat.com . February 14, 2014 . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Davis, Johnny (August 4, 2007). “One more giant leap” . The Daily Telegraph . London . Retrieved November 1, 2013 .
- Jump up^ dashed, Alison of (February 7, 2013). “Iron Man, Growing up in South Africa” . Fresh Dialogues . Retrieved November 1, 2013 .
I actually filled out the forms for re and got re a Canadian passport, and me too. Within three weeks of getting my Canadian passport, I was in Canada.
- Jump up^ Robin Keats (2013). “Rocket Man” . Queen’s University . Archived fromthe original on May 4, 2015.
- Jump up^ Inspirations with Elon Musk . Oninnovation . Retrieved June 24, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Junod, Tom (November 15, 2012). “Triumph of His Will” . Esquire . Retrieved November 1, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Steve (September 27, 2014). “SpaceX chief: Commercial launch sites Necessary step to Mars” . Brownsville Herald . Retrieved September 30, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Friedman, Josh (April 22, 2003), “Entrepreneur Tries His Midas Touch in Space” , Los Angeles Times
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Elon Musk Biography” . Advameg . August 23, 2005.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kidder, David; Hoffman, Reid (2013). The Startup Playbook: Secrets of the Fastest Growing Start-Ups from the founding entrepreneurs . San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books. pp. 2224-228. ISBN 978-1452105048 .
- Jump up^ Junnarkar, Sandeep (February 16, 1999). “Compaq buys Zip2” . CNET.
- Jump up^ Jackson, Erik (2004). The PayPal Wars . Los Angeles, CA: World Ahead Publishing. pp. 40, 69, 130, 163.
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon (October 8, 2003). Success Through Viral Marketing: PayPal. Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Lecture .
- Jump up^ “The PayPal Mafia” . Fortune . Retrieved June 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “SEC 10-K” (PDF) . eBay. January 31, 2002.
- Jump up^ “SEC 10-K” . Paypal. December 31, 2001.
- Jump up^ McKnight, John Carter (September 25, 2001). “Elon Musk, Life to Mars Foundation” . Mars Now, a weekly column . Space Frontier Foundation.
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon. “Risky Business” . IEEE Spectrum . Retrieved April 27, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Vance, Ashlee (May 14, 2015). “Elon Musk’s space dream almost killed Tesla” . Bloomberg LP . Retrieved June 7, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “How Steve Jurvetson Saved Elon Musk” . Business Insider . September 14, 2012.
- Jump up^ SpaceX and Daring to Think Big – Steve Jurvetson . Youtube. January 28, 2015.
- Jump up^ Elon Musk (September 8, 2006). “SpaceX profit NASA competition to replace Space Shuttle” . SpaceX.
- Jump up^ Wayne Leslie (February 5, 2006). “A Bold Plan to Go Where Men Have Gone Before” . The New York Times . Retrieved February 16, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Wayne Leslie (February 5, 2006). “A Bold Plan to Go Where Men Have Gone Before” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 11, 2010 .
- Jump up^ SpaceX
- Jump up^ Harwood, William (May 31, 2012). “SpaceX Dragon returns to Earth, ends historic trip” . CBS News . Retrieved August 3, 2013 .
- Jump up^ COTS 2006 Demo Competition. NASA (Accessed August 26, 2014); and announcement”Commercial Orbital Transportation Services Demonstrations”. January 18, 2006 (Accessed August 26, 2014)
- Jump up^ “NASA Awards Space Station resupply Commercial Services Contracts”. nasa.gov . NASA. 23 December 2008 . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ “Boeing And SpaceX Win $ 6.8 Billion In NASA Contracts” . NPR.org . National Public Radio . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ “SpaceX rocket in historic upright landing” . BBC News . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ O’Kane, Sean (2016-05-27). “SpaceX successfully lands a Falcon 9 rocket at sea for the third time” . The Verge . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Stephen. “SpaceX undecided on payload for first Falcon Heavy flight – Spaceflight Now” . Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- “Is SpaceX Changing the Rocket Equation?” . airspacemag.com . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Stephen. “100th Merlin 1D engine flies on Falcon 9 rocket – Spaceflight Now” . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ “SpaceX completes 100th Merlin 1D Engine” . SpaceX . Retrieved April 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Carroll, Roy (July 17, 2013). “Elon Musk’s Mission to Mars” . The Guardian . London, UK . Retrieved July 23, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “75 Most Influential people: Elon Musk” . Esquire. October 1, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Space Exploration Technologies Corporation Press Release” . SpaceX . Retrieved January 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk: I’ll Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years” . MarketWatch . New York. April 22, 2011. Archived from the original on December 1, 2011 . Retrieved January 1, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Elon Musk speaks at the Hyperloop Pod Award Ceremony (01/30/2016). January 31, 2016 . Retrieved February 21, 2016 – YouTube.
- Jump up^ “SpaceX Will Launch Private Mars Missions as Soon as 2018” . Retrieved December 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Davenport, Christian (2016-06-13). “Elon Musk zorgt new details on his” mind-blowing “Mission to Mars” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2016-06-14 .
- Jump up^ Chang, Kenneth (27 September 2016). “Elon Musk’s plan: Get Humans to Mars, and Beyond” . New York Times . Retrieved 27 September 2016 .
- Jump up^ Lambert, Fred (November 16, 2016). “Elon Musk’s SpaceX stirps in is actually worth morethan his Tesla shares” . Electrek . Retrieved November 17, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Burns, Matt (October 8, 2014). “A Brief History of Tesla” . TechCrunch . TechCrunch.com . Retrieved June 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Nordqvist, Joseph (February 12, 2014). “Tesla Motors Inc. Company Information” . Market Business News. Archived from the original on February 12, 2014 . Retrieved April 16, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon (August 2, 2006). “The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just tussen you and me) No. 124” . Tesla Motors. Archived from the original on August 2, 2010 . Retrieved October 3, 2010 . [ Self-published source ]
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon. “CEO Elon Musk” . Tesla Motors . Retrieved October 20, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Morrison, Chris (October 15, 2008). “Musk steps in as CEO” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Graham Ruddick. “Tesla’s Model X electric car spreads falcon wings at US launch” . the Guardian . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Tesla Model X: Not a model launch” . Fortune . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Model X” . Tesla Motors. October 29, 2012.
- Jump up^ Joann Muller (June 1, 2013). “What Do Toyota And Mercedes Sea Tesla? A Bit of Themselves” . Forbes.com .
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon (August 2, 2006). “The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just tussen you and me)” . Tesla Motors.
- Jump up^ Hamilton, Tyler (October 12, 2009). “Tesla CEO volgende in Henry Ford’s tracks” . Toronto Star . Archived from the original on October 17, 2009.
- Jump up^ Del Ray, Jason (May 29, 2013), Musk: You’ll Be Able to Drive Your Tesla Cross-Country at Year’s End With Supercharger Expansion , All Things D
- Jump up^ Claudia Assis; Jeremy C. Owens. “Elon Musk exercises Tesla options, pays $ 50 million tax bill with own cash” . MarketWatch . Retrieved February 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Chris Ziegler (January 29, 2016). “Elon Musk Bought $ 100 million more worth of Tesla this week” . The Verge . Vox Media . Retrieved February 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Tesla’s Elon Musk worked for free last year” . Fortune . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Durisin, Megan (August 10, 2013). “Musk get US $ 4.3 million of stock options for Model X work” . Bloomberg LP . Retrieved January 15, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “All Our Patent Are Belong To You” . Tesla Motors . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Dana Hull (2016-02-19). “Musk Gets Tesla.com Domain Name After Waiting a Decade” . Bloomberg LP . Retrieved 2016-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “Management Team” . SolarCity.
- Jump up^ Kanellos, Michael (February 15, 2008). “Newsmaker: Elon Musk on Rockets, sports cars, and solar power” . CNET.
- Jump up^ “2013 Top 250 Solar Contractors” . Solar Power World . September 13, 2013.
- Jump up^ The Unveiling of the Tesla Motors Electric Car . Autoblog . Retrieved July 26, 2006 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b dashed, Alison van. “Tesla and SolarCity collaborate on Clean Energy Storage” . KQED . Retrieved June 25, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Aaron Smith (June 17, 2014). “Elon Musk’s sunny plans for Buffalo” . CNNMoney .
- Jump up^ “Tesla Makes Offer to Acquire Solar City” . www.teslamotors.com . Retrieved 2016-06-22 .
- Jump up^ “Beyond the hype or Hyperloop: An analysis of Elon Musk’s Proposed transit system” . Gizmag.com . August 22, 2013 . Retrieved August 23, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ashlee Vance . “Revealed: Elon Musk wordt uitgelegd the Hyperloop, the Solar-Powered High-Speed Future of Inter-City Transportation” . Bloomberg Business Week . Retrieved April 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Hyperloop Update: Elon Musk Will Start Developing It” himself . Forbes.com . Retrieved 2016-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “Musk announces plans to build Hyperloop demonstrator” . gizmag.com . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon (August 12, 2013). “Hyperloop Alpha” (PDF) . SpaceX . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon (August 12, 2013). “Hyperloop” . Tesla . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Hyperloop Designed for Quick, Convenient Commute” . ABC News. March 9, 2013 . Retrieved August 15, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Hyperloop” . SpaceX . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://www.dailybulletin.com/science/20170129/hyperloop-competition-brings-new-mass-transit-technology-to-life-in-hawthorne
- Jump up^ Markoff, John (December 11, 2015). “Artificial Intelligence Research Center-Is Founded by Silicon Valley Investors” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 15, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Levy, Steven (December 11, 2015). “How Elon Musk and Y Combinator Plan to Stop Computers From Taking Over” . Medium / Back Channel . Retrieved January 15, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Golson, Jordan (2017-01-25). “Elon Musk:” Without tunnels, we will all be in traffic hell forever ” ” . The Verge . Retrieved 2017-01-29 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk Will Start Digging His” Boring Company “tunnel About A Month” . Fortune . Retrieved 2017-01-29 .
- Jump up^ Parnell, Brid-Aine. “Elon Musk proteases Traffic Busting Tunneling Firm ‘The Boring Co. ‘ ‘ . Forbes . Retrieved 2017-01-29 .
- Jump up^ https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/25/elon-musk-la-traffic-tunnel
- Jump up^ Mazza, Sandy. “Elon Musk wants to start digging a traffic-relieving tunnel Hawthorne” in a month or so ‘ ‘ . Los Angeles Daily Times . Retrieved 2017-01-28 .
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon Reeve; Ferguson, Joshua Willard; Zalán, Daryl; Van Dyke, Christopher Hugo (November 12, 2013), United States Patent: 8,579,635 – Funnel shaped charge inlet , retrieved 2016-09-23
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon Reeve; Ferguson, Joshua Willard; Zalán, Daryl; Van Dyke, Christopher Hugo (March 10, 2015), United States Patent: D724031 – Vehicle charge inlet , retrieved 2016-09-23
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon Reeve; von Holzhausen, Franz; Lee, Bernard; Imai, David Tadashi (May 28, 2013), United States Patent: D683268 – Vehicle , retrieved 2016-09-23
- Jump up^ Musk, Elon Reeve; von Holzhausen, Franz; Lee, Bernard (March 19, 2013), United States Patent: D678154 – Vehicle by , retrieved 2016-09-23
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk: The Way Of The Future” . YouTube . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Team, The Transition (January 14, 2016). “President-Elect Trump Announces Additional Members of President’s Strategic and Policy Forum”. Retrieved December 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk and the chief executive of Uber are now advising Donald Trump” . Retrieved December 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Donald Trump Adds Elon Musk, Travis Kalanick, and Indra Nooyi to His Team of Advisers” . December 14, 2016 . Retrieved December 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/elon-musk-appointed-trumps-team-advisories-thinks-bitcoins-good-thing/
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk just got more involved with Trump’s administration” . businessinsider.com . Retrieved January 29, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Wattenberg, Ben. “Elon Musk and the frontier of Technology” . Think Tank . PBS.org . Retrieved June 12, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Lee, Dave (2017-01-26). “Elon Musk: I’m Trump’s voice of reason” . BBC News . Retrieved 2017-01-29 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Elon Musk, SpaceX Founder Battles entrenched Rivals About NASA Contracts” . The Huffington Post . February 20, 2013 . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Obama and Congress at odds over Elon Musk” . fightforvotes.com . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Timothy P. Carney,”Carney: Green stimulus benefit comes under IRS scrutiny”, WashingtonExaminer.com, October 14, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “SpaceX blasts off In English one and politically” . Sunlight Foundation . Retrieved May 30, 2015 .
- Salant, Jonathan D. (September 27, 2013). “Billionaires Battle as Bezos-Musk Companies Vie for Launch Pad” . Bloomberg.com . Bloomberg BusinessWeek . Retrieved July 1, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Steven Kovach,”Elon Musk Says He Quit Mark Zuckerberg’s PAC Because It Was Too Cynical”, BusinessInsider.com, May 31, 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Becker, Sean (January 11, 2013). “Elon Musk Donated to Anti-Science Republicans” . Mic . Policy.Mic . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Werber, Cassie. “Elon Musk says tax-free carbon is” the dumbest experiment in history ” ” . Quartz . Retrieved 30 August 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Taxpayer Subsidies Helped Tesla Motors, So Why Does Elon Musk Slam Them?” . Mother Jones . Retrieved April 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Harkinson, Josh (September 2013). “Taxpayer Subsidies Helped Tesla Motors, So Why Does Elon Musk Slam Them?” . Mother Jones . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Hirsch, Jerry (May 30, 2015). “Elon Musk’s growing empire is fueled by US $ 4.9 billion in government subsidies” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved June 2, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Going to Mars with Elon Musk” . OnInnovation.com . June 2008 . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Elon Musk and Rainn Wilson Discuss colonizing Mars, global warming, and the fear of failure” . The Verge . March 19, 2013 . Retrieved June 12, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk, CEO and CTO, Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX), Peter Diamandis, CEO, X Prize Foundation and John Doerr, Venture Capital, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers” . YouTube . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Anderson, Ross (September 30, 2014). “The Elon Musk Interview on Mars Colonization” . Aeon . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Gibbs, Samuel (October 27, 2014). “Elon Musk, artificial intelligence is our Biggest Existentiële threat” . The Guardian . Retrieved January 15, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking think we arnt devoted killer robots” . Washington Post . July 28, 2015. Archived from the original on March 8, 2016 . Retrieved January 5, 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kosoff, Maya (January 15, 2015). “Elon Musk Is Donating $ 10 Million To Keep Killer Robots From Taking Over The World” . Business Insider . Retrieved January 15, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Muoio, Danielle (January 11, 2015). “Elon Musk just announced a new artificial intelligence research company” . Tech Insider . Retrieved January 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Hern, Alex (June 18, 2014). “Elon Musk says he invested in Deepmind about” Terminator “Fears” . Retrieved June 10, 2015 – via The Guardian .
- Jump up^ “We are living in a computer simulation, Elon Musk says” . The Independent. 2016-06-02 . Retrieved 2016-06-30 .
- Jump up^ Matt Hardigree. “Elon Musk wordt uitgelegd How He Wrecked An Uninsured $ 1 Million McLaren F1” . Jalopnik .
- Jump up^ Wayne Leslie (February 5, 2006). “A Bold Plan to Go Where Men Have Gone Before” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ FlightAware. “Aircraft Registration N900SK” . Retrieved June 25, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Chris Woodyard,”Tesla’s Elon Musk buys 007’s sub to make it real”, USAToday.com, October 18, 2013; Accessed November 13, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Tosca Musk profile at” . Musk entertainment.
- Jump up^ Achenbach, Joel. “Elon Musk Wants to Go to Mars”National GeographicNovember 2016. p. 41.
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk and SolarCity Donate Solar Power Project to Coastal Response Center in Alabama” . Enhanced Online News . Business Wire.
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk Donates Solar Power Project to Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan” . BusinessWire.com . Retrieved April 27, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “What it’s like to own a Tesla Model S – Part 2 – The Oatmeal” . theoatmeal.com.
- Jump up^ Greg Kumparak. “Elon Musk Donates $ 1 Million to the Oatmeal’s Nikola Tesla Museum” . TechCrunch . AOL . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Elon Musk donates US $ 10M to keep Al Beneficial , Future of Life Institute , 2015 , retrieved January 20, 2015
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk Donates $ 10M To Make Sure All Does not Go The Way of Skynet” . Mashable. 2015 . Retrieved June 21, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk” . XPrize . Retrieved April 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Kroll, Luisa (April 19, 2012). “The Giving Pledge Signs on 12 More Wealthy Americans Including Tesla’s Elon Musk And Home Depot’s Arthur Blank” . Forbes .
- Jump up^ Musk, Justine (September 10, 2010). ” ” I Was a Starter Wife ‘: Inside America’s messiest Divorce ” . Marie Claire . Retrieved November 28, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Hannah Elliott. “Elon Musk – In Pictures: Forbes Life Elon Musk” . Forbes . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Lai, Jennifer (January 19, 2012). “Elon Musk Divorce: Announces Split From Talulah Riley On Twitter” . The Huffington Post . Retrieved July 23, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk Divorce: Announces Split From Talulah Riley On Twitter”, The Huffington Post , January 19, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Billionaire Elon Musk’s wife files for divorce”, Mashable.com, March 21, 2016.
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk and Talulah Riley reach divorce settlement” . TV3 (Ireland) . 21 October 2016 . Retrieved 22 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ Priorities in Space Science Enabled by Nuclear Power And Propulsion . The National Academies Press. 2006. ISBN 9780309180108 . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Rocket Man” . R & D. September 4, 2007 . Retrieved April 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Chafkin, Max (December 1, 2007). “Entrepreneur of the Year, 2007: Elon Musk” . inc.com.
- Jump up^ “Tesla Roadster” . Index. 2007. Archived from the original on January 18, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Tesla Motors team” . Tesla Motors.
- Jump up^ “SpaceX successfully launches Falcon 1 to orbit” . Space Exploration Technologies Corp. 2008.
- Jump up^ “Connie Awards” . National Wildlife Federation. 2008. Archived from the original on June 29, 2009.
- Jump up^ Michels, Jennifer (March 4, 2009). “Aviation Week reveals Laureate Award Winners” . Aviation Week .
- Jump up^ “Space Community Gathers at National Space Society’s ISDC 2009″(Press release). National Space Society. June 17, 2009.
- Jump up^ “Automotive Executive of the Year” . DNV Certification. 2010 . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Favreau, Jon (April 29, 2010). “The 2010 Time 100” . Time .
- Jump up^ “Barron Hilton and Elon Musk honored with the Highest FAI awards” . Fédération Aéronautique Internationale. December 16, 2010 . Retrieved March 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Living Legend of Aviation Awards” . Kitty Hawk Air Academy. 2010 . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Caltech Elects Two Innovators to Board of Trustees” .
- Jump up^ “Trustee List” . The California Institute of Technology . Retrieved April 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Space Foundation Survey reveals Broad Range of Space Heroes” .
- Jump up^ Smith, Jacquelyn (February 14, 2011). “America’s 20 Most Powerful CEOs 40 And Under” . Forbes . Retrieved February 18, 2011 .
To make this list, you had to be the chief executive of one of the 20 Biggest Publicly traded companies in the US (as of Feb. 11, with market capitalization) with a CEO aged 40 or under.
- Jump up^ Dula, Art (June 16, 2011). “Heinlein Prize Honors Elon Musk or SpaceX”. The Heinlein Prize .
- Jump up^ “2011 Churchill Club Awards” .
- Jump up^ “2012 Raes Gold Medal” .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Welsh (November 21, 2013). “Tesla’s Elon Musk Fortune Business Person of the Year” . The Wall Street Journal .
- Jump up^ “IEEE Honorary Membership Recipients” (PDF) . IEEE . Retrieved March 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Social Concepts, Inc.: We connect people ™” . socialconcepts.com . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Elon Musk Named Most Influential Person In The Car BusinessTeslarati, Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- Jump up^ “The top 10 business visionary customizing value for the world” . Business Insider . Business Insider Inc.
- Jump up^ “Graduation show, Art Center College of Design” . Cumulusassociation.org. November 23, 2010 . Retrieved August 15, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Surrey celebrates zijn honorary graduates,Surrey celebrates graduation in 2015, Surrey Graduate, Surrey Alumni Society (Autumn / Winter 2009) [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ SEAS Celebrates Class of 2015 Honors Innovators Elon Musk and Dean Kamen, 314TH COMMENCEMENT (Spring 2015)
- Jump up^ “Elon Musk SpaceX Tesla on the Simpsons – Business Insider” . Business Insider . January 27, 2015 . Retrieved April 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Tesla CEO Elon Musk ACM Press On Upcoming Episode Of The Big Bang Theory – CBS.com” . CBS . Retrieved December 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ ” ‘ DCs Legends of Tomorrow” Power Rankings, Week 2: Burn, Baby, Burn – Observer ” . Observer . January 29, 2016 . Retrieved February 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Field, Kyle. “Tesla Stars In” Racing Extinction “Documentary” . CleanTechnica . Retrieved 11 July 2016 .
- Jump up^ Bova, Dan. ” ” Why Him? ” Director on Elon Musk’s Amazing ‘I Can not Come to Work Today’ Excuse ‘ . entrepreneur.com . Retrieved January 29, 2017 .