Elizabeth M. Gilbert (born July 18, 1969) is an American author, essayist , short story writer, Biographer, novelist, and memoirist . She is best known for re 2006 memoir, Eat, Pray, Love , welke than or December 2010 has spent 199 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list , and welke was ook made JSON a film by the co particularly in 2010. [1 ]
Gilbert was born in Waterbury, Connecticut . Her Father was a farmer, re mother a Housewife. She or Swedish descent.  Along with re only sister, novelist Catherine Gilbert Murdock , Gilbert Grew up on a small family Christmas tree farm in Litchfield, Connecticut . The family lived in the country with no Neighbors: they ‘did not own a television or record player. Consequently, the family read a great deal, and Gilbert and re sister entertained themselves by writing books and plays.  
Gilbert earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from New York University in 1991, after welke she worked as a cook, a bartender, a waitress, and a magazine employee.  She wrote or re experience as a cook on a dude ranch in short stories, and ook briefly in her book The Last American Man (Viking 2002).
Esquire published Gilbert’s short story “Pilgrims” in 1993, under the headline, “The Debut of an American Writer”. She was the first unpublished short story writer to debut in Esquire since Norman Mailer . This led to steady work as a journalist for a variety of national magazines, zoals SPIN , GQ , The New York Times Magazine , Allure , Real Simple , and Travel + Leisure . As stated in the memoir Eat, Pray, Love , Gilbert made a career as a highly paid freelance writer.
Her 1997 GQ article, “The Muse of the Coyote Ugly Saloon ,” a memoir or Gilbert’s time as a bartender at the very first Coyote Ugly table dancing bar located in the euro in the East Village section of New York City ,  was the basis for the feature film Coyote Ugly (2000). She Adapted re 1998 GQ article, “The Last American Man”, JSON a biography of the modern Woodsman and naturalist in The Last American Man .  “The Ghost”, a profile of Hank Williams III published by GQ in 2000, was included in Best American Magazine Writing 2001.
Gilbert’s first book Pilgrims (Houghton Mifflin 1997), a collection of short stories, RECEIVED the Pushcart Prize and was a finalist for the PEN / Hemingway Award . This was Followed by re novel Stern Men (Houghton Mifflin, 2000), selected by The New York Times as a “Notable Book.” In 2002, she published The Last American Man (2002) In this housing was nominated for National Book Award in nonfiction.
Eat, Pray, Love
In 2006, Gilbert published Eat, Pray, Love : One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia (Viking, 2006), a Chronicle of re year or “spiritual and personal exploration” spent traveling organs.  She Financed re world travel for the book with a $ 200,000 publisher’s advance after pitching the concept in a book proposal. The craze has leg critiqued by some writers as “priv-lit”  and a “calculated business decision.”  The memoir was on the New York Times Best Seller List or non-fiction in the spring of 2006, and in October 2008, after 88 weeks, the book was still on the list at number 2.  Gilbert Appeared on The Oprah Winfrey show in 2007, and has reappeared on the show to remit Discuss the book and re philosophy, and to Discuss the film.  She was named Amongst Time 100 Most Influential people in the world by TIME magazine.  The book was optioned for a film by Columbia Pictures , welke was released as Eat Pray Love on August 13, 2010, with Julia Roberts starring as Gilbert. 
Gilbert’s fifth book, Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage , was released by Viking Press in January 2010. The book is some what of a sequel to Eat, Pray, Love in dat it takes up Gilbert’s life story where re bestseller left off. Committed ook reveals Gilbert’s decision to marry Jose Nunes (referred to in the book as Felipe), a Brazilian man Whom she with Indonesia.  The book is an Examination of the institution or marriage from verschillende historical and modern perspectives-waaronder Those or people, bijzonder women, Reluctant to marry. In the book, Gilbert ook of includes perspectives on same-sex marriage and compares this to interracial marriage prior to the 1970s.
In 2012, she republished At Home on the Range, a 1947 Cookbook written by re great-grandmother, the food columnist Margaret Yardley Potter.  Gilbert published re second novel, The Signature of All Things , in 2013.
In 2015, Gilbert published Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear , a self-help book dat zorgt instructions on how to live a life as creative as hers.   The book is broken down JSON six Sections: Courage, Enchantment, Permission, Persistence, Trust, and Divinity.  Advice on Big Magic focuses on overcoming self-doubt, Avoiding Perfectionism, and agenda setting, onder andere topics. 
A review of Big Magic in Slate stated therein must of the advice in the book is matter-of-fact, but therein, “Gilbert comes bearing reports from a new world where Untold splendors lie waiting for Those bold and hard-working enough to claim them. What’s unclear is how many Could successfully follow on re trail. ”  The Seattle Times DESCRIBED the book as “funny, Perceptive and full of down-to-earth advice.” 
In an interview, Gilbert Mentioned The Wizard of Oz with nostalgia, Adding, “I am a writer today Because I learned to love reading as a child-and mostly on account of the Oz books …” She has zegt she was met name Influenced by Charles Dickens , and has noted this in many interviews. She identifies Marcus Aurelius ‘s Meditations as re favorite book on philosophy. 
In a 2015 article for The New York Times Titled “Confessions of a Seduction Addict,” Gilbert wrote dat she “careened from one intimate entanglement to the next-Dozens of Them-without so much as a day off tussen romances.” She acknowledged, “Seduction was never a casual sport for me; it was more like a heist, adrenalizing and urgent. I mention anything about the plan heist for months, scouting out the target, looking for unguarded entries. Then I mention anything about break into his DEEPEST vault, steal all his emotional currency and spend it on myself. ” 
Gilbert was married to Michael Cooper, Whom she with while working at the Coyote Ugly Saloon , from 1994 to 2002.  
In 2007 Gilbert married Jose Nunes, Whom she having Bali while on re travels in Eat, Pray, Love . As of 2013 Gilbert lived in Frenchtown , New Jersey , with im. Together they ‘ran a large Asian import store called “Two Buttons”. As of 2015 the store has sold leg.   
In 2015, Gilbert and verschillende other authors (including Cheryl Strayed ) participated in fundraising policymaking for Syrian refugees. Ze raised over $ 1 million in 31 hours. 
On July 1, 2016 Gilbert announced on re Facebook page dat she and re husband, Jose Nunes, ulcers Separating. She Explained therein the split was “very amicable” and dat hun reasons are “very personal”. 
On September 7, 2016, Gilbert published a Facebook post saying dat she was in a relationship with re best friend, writer Rayya Elias, and therein this relationship was related to the breakup or re marriage.  
- Pilgrims (1997) ( Pushcart Prize , finalist for PEN / Hemingway Award )
- Stern Men (2000)
- The Signature of All Things (2013)
- The Last American Man (2002) (finalist for the National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award)
- Eat, Pray, Love : One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia (2006)
- Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage (2010)
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear (2015)
- The KGB Bar Reader: Buckle Bunnies (1998)
- Why I Write: Thoughts on the Craft of Fiction (contributor) (1999)
- A Writer’s Workbook: Daily Exercises for the Writing Life (Foreword) (2000)
- The Best American Magazine Writing 2001: The Ghost (2001)
- The Best American Magazine Writing 2003: Lucky Jim (2003)
- At Home on the Range : Margaret Yardley Potter (Foreword) (2012) ISBN 1408832291 .
- 2015 All About Women Festival, Sydney Opera House, Australia 
- 2011 Celebrating Women: Mind, Body, Spirit, Galveston Chamber of Commerce, Galveston, Texas 
- Jump up^ “Hardcover Nonfiction” . The New York Times . 2010-02-28 . Retrieved 2010-05-01 .
- Jump up^ http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10/02/elizabeth-gilbert-how-i-write.html
- Jump up^ “Elizabeth Gilbert, Zacharis Award” . Archived from the original on January 3, 2008 . Retrieved 2008-12-13 .
- Jump up^ “Lucky me” . The Guardian. January 10, 2009 . Retrieved February 4, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “The Muse of the Coyote Ugly Saloon” . GQ. March 1997 . Retrieved July 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The Last American Man” . GQ. February 1998 . Retrieved February 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ ” Eat, Pray, Love (review)” . Retrieved 2011-10-24 .
- Jump up^ http://bitchmagazine.org/article/eat-pray-spend
- Jump up^ http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/10/18/the-elizabeth-gilbert-problem
- Jump up^ Paperback Nonfiction New York Times, October 3, 2008.
- Jump up^ Why We Can not Stop Talking About Eat, Pray, Love! The Oprah Winfrey Show.
- Jump up^ “The 2008 TIME 100: Artists & Entertainers: Elizabeth Gilbert” . TIME. April 30, 2009 . Retrieved February 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Elizabeth Gilbertat theInternet Movie Database
- Jump up^ Ariel Levi. “Hitched: In her new memoir, Elizabeth Gilbert gets married.”. The New Yorker . Retrieved 2011-10-24 .
- Jump up^ Michael Hainey (May 24, 2012). “Elizabeth Gilbert Serves Up a New Classic” . GQ . Retrieved February 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Paskin, WillaElizabeth Gilbert’s “Big Magic” New York Times. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ O’Grady, MeganElizabeth Gilbert on Big Magic and Why She Loves Social Media Vogue. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ Williams, ZoeBig Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert review – lessons in life from the Eat, Pray, Love author Guardian. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ Reese, JenniferBig Magic: Elizabeth Gilbert’s advice on how you, too, can eat, pray, love Washington Post. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ Fischer, MollyCharm Machine Slate. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ Gwinn, Mary AnnElizabeth Gilbert discusses “Big Magic” on Well ReadSeattle Times. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ “Elizabeth Gilbert’s literary Influences”, Infloox blog, 23 February 2010
- Jump up^ Gilbert, Elizabeth (June 24, 2015). “Confessions of a Seduction Addict”. The New York Times . Retrieved September 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kaylin, Lucy (January 2010). “What Comes After the Eating, the praying and the Loving?” . Oprah.com.
- Jump up^ “Official Website for Best Selling Author Elizabeth Gilbert” . ElizabethGilbert.com.
- Jump up^ Patchett, Ann (January 2, 2010). “Eat, Pray, Love, Then Commit” . The Wall Street Journal .
- Jump up^ Donahue, Deirdre (January 5, 2010). “Elizabeth Gilbert talks about life after ‘Eat, Pray, Love ‘ ‘ . USA Today .
- Jump up^ Schaub, MichaelCheryl Strayed and Elizabeth Gilbert help raise $ 1 million for Syrian refugees Los Angeles Times. January 4, 2016
- Jump up^ Gilbert, Elizabeth. “Elizabeth Gilbert’s verified Facebok page” . Facebook . Retrieved July 1, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Landsbaum, Claire (September 7, 2016). ” Eat, Pray, Love Author Elizabeth Gilbert Announces She’s Dating Another Woman” . New York Magazine . Retrieved September 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ http://www.people.com/article/elizabeth-gilbert-dating-woman
- Jump up^ Kane, Dominique. “All About Women at the Sydney Opera House” .
- Jump up^ https://www.utmb.edu/iutmb/article6088.aspx