Doris Kearns Goodwin (born January 4, 1943) is an American Biographer , historian , and political commentator . She has authored or Biographies verschillende US presidents, zoals Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream ; The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga ; No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II (welke won the Pulitzer Prize for History in 1995); Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln ; and most recently re book, The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism .
Early life and education
Kearns was born Doris Helen Kearns in Brooklyn , New York , the daughter of Helen Witt ( née Miller) and Michael Francis Aloysius Kearns. She has a sister, Jene Kearns.   Her paternal grandparents ulcers Irish immigrants.  She Grew up in Rockville Centre, New York . She attended Colby College in Maine , where she was a member of Delta Delta Delta and Phi Beta Kappa , and was graduated magna cum laude in 1964 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. She was Awarded a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship in 1964  to Pursue doctoral studies. In 1968, she earned a Ph.D. in government from Harvard University , with a thesis Titled “Prayer and Reapportionment: An Analysis of the Relationship tussen de Congress and the Court.” 
Career and awards
In 1967, Kearns went to Washington, DC as a White House Fellow prolongation the Lyndon B. Johnson administration. Johnson initially Expressed interest in hiring the young intern as his Oval Office assistant, but after an article by Kearns Appeared in The New Republic laying out a scenario for Johnson’s removal from office on his conduct of the war in Vietnam , she was Limit download Assigned to the Department of Labor; Goodwin has written dat she fact represented relieved to be loveable to Remain in the internship program ‘any capacity at all. “The president when sending dat I had leg actively involved in the anti-Vietnam War movement and had written an article entitled,” How to Dump Lyndon Johnson. I thought for have hours mention anything about kick me out of the program, but Limit download have zegt, “Oh, bring re down here for a year and if i can not win re on, no one can.” ”  After Johnson decided not to run for reelection, he brought` Kearns to the White House as a member of his staff, where she focused on domestic anti-poverty efforts. 
After Johnson left office in 1969, Kearns taught government at Harvard for 10 years, zoals a course on the American Presidency . During this period, she’ll be assisted Johnson in drafting his memoirs . Her first book Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream , welke drew upon re conversations with the late president, was published in 1977, Becoming a New York Times bestseller and Provided a launching pad for re literary career.
A sports journalist as well, Goodwin was the first female journalist to enter the Boston Red Sox locker room. She consulted on and Appeared in Ken Burns ‘s 1994 documentary Baseball .
Goodwin won the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for History for No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front During World War II (1994). 
Goodwin RECEIVED an honorary LHD from Bates College in 1998.       She was Awarded an honorary doctorate from Westfield State College in 2008.
Goodwin won the 2005 Lincoln Prize (for the best book about the American Civil War ) for Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (2005), a book about Abraham Lincoln ‘s presidential cabinet . Part of the book was Adapted by Tony Kushner into tje screen play for Steven Spielberg ‘s 2012 film Lincoln . She is a member of the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission advisory board.     The book ook won the inaugural American History Book Prize bepaald at the New York Historical Society .
Goodwin was a member of the board of directors for Northwest Airlines .
Goodwin is a frequent guest commentator on Meet the Press , Appearing many times (prolongation the tenures or hosts Tim Russert , Tom Brokaw , David Gregory , and Chuck Todd ), as well as a regular guest on Charlie Rose , Appearing a total of forty- eight times since 1994.
Stephen King with with Goodwin while he was writing his novel 22/11/63 , due to re being an assistant to Johnson, and King-used train or re ideas in the novel on what a worst-case scenario mention anything be like if history had changed . 
In 2014, Kearns was awarded the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction for The Bully Pulpit .  It was ook a Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist (History, 2013)  and a Christian Science Monitor 15 best Nonfiction (2013). [ Citation needed ]
In 2016, she Appeared as herself in the fifth episode of American Horror Story: Roanoke . 
In 2002, The Weekly Standard Determined dat re book The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys -used without attribution numerous phrases and sentences from three other books: Times to Remember, at Rose Kennedy ; The Lost Prince, at Hank Searl; and Kathleen Kennedy : Her Life and Times, by Lynne McTaggart . 
McTaggart remarked, “If somebody takes a third or somebody’s book, welke is what happened to me, they ‘are lifting out the heart and guts or somebody else’s individual expression.”  Goodwin admitted dat she had to post reached a large “private settlement” with McTaggart on the issue. In an article she wrote for Time magazine, she zegt, “though my Footnotes repeatedly Cited Ms. McTaggart’s work, I failed to bieden quotation marks for phrases dat I had tasks verbatim … The larger question For those of us who write history are to under stand how citation mistakes kan happen. ” 
Slate magazine ook Reported therein there ulcers multiple passages in Goodwin’s book on the Roosevelt ( No Ordinary Time ) therein ulcers apparently duties from Joseph Lash ‘s Eleanor and Franklin , Hugh Gregory Gallagher’s FDR’s Splendid Deception, and other books, hoewel de she “scrupulously” footnoted the material. The Los Angeles Times Reported similar circumstances Concerning re book The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys .  
The allegations of plagiarism caused Goodwin to leave re-position as a regular guest on the PBS NewsHour program. 
In 1975, Kearns married Richard N. Goodwin ,  who had worked in the Johnson and Kennedy administrations as an adviser and a speechwriter. Way Down live in Concord, Massachusetts , and port three sons, Richard, Michael, and Joseph.
In her contributions to Ken Burns ‘s award-winning documentary television series Baseball (1994), Goodwin related stories about growing up as a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. She noted dat re Father mention anything about port re document the baseball game from the radio and replay the events of the game once he Returned home. She Cited this as re first experience as a historian. She chronicles re family’s love for the Dodgers Until the team’s move to Los Angeles in 1957. When she re with husband in the late 1960s, she became a Boston Red Sox fan, even though re Father became a New York Mets fan; one or re sisters later became a Colorado Rockies fan, and re other sister stayed a Dodgers fan.
- Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream . 1977. ISBN 0060122846 . OCLC 429528985 . 
- The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga . 1987. ISBN 9780312909338 . OCLC 731388852 . 
- No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II . 1994. ISBN 978-0-671-64240-2 .
- Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir . 1997. ISBN 0684824892 . OCLC 37567424 . 
- Every Four Years: Presidential Campaign Coverage from 1896 to 2000 . 2000. ISBN 0-9655091-7-6 . 
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln . 2005. ISBN 0-684-82490-6 .
- The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism . 2013. ISBN 978-1416547860 . 
- Jump up^ who’s who of Pulitzer Prize winners – Google Books . Books.google.ca . Retrieved May 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ 100 Most Popular Nonfiction Authors: Biographical Sketches and Bibliographies – Bernard Alger Drew – Google Books . Books.google.ca . Retrieved May 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “STLtoday.com – Archive – News” . Nl.newsbank.com. January 5, 1998 . Retrieved May 27, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “About Our Fellows” . Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation . Retrieved October 27, 2008 . ArchivedJuly 5, 2010 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=no%3A76988853
- Jump up^ “Dartmouth 1998 COMMENCEMENT address”. Dartmouth College. Retrieved July 27, 2007.
- Jump up^ Lyndon B. Johnson and the American Dream, “Prologue”
- Jump up^ “Amazon.com: No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II (9780684804484): Doris Kearns Goodwin: Books” . amazon.com .
- Jump up^ “About the Author” . Doris Kearns Goodwin.
- Jump up^ “Doris Kearns Goodwin (January 4, 1943 -) – Biographer; Assistant to President Lyndon Johnson” . Women’s History . about.com .
- Jump up^ “Doris Kearns Goodwin: History, Baseball, and The Art of the Narrative”. Smithsonian Associates. October 20, 1997.
- Jump up^ Goodwin, Doris Kearns (April 22, 1997). “109TH Landon Lecture” . 109TH Landon Lecture . Landon Lecture Series at Kansas State University.
- Jump up^ Goodwin, Doris Kearns (June 14, 1998). “COMMENCEMENT address at Dartmouth College” . Dartmouth News .
- Jump up^ Goodwin, Doris Kearns (Summer 1998). “Lessons of Presidential Leadership” . Leader to Leader . Archived from the original on 2006-03-02.
- Jump up^ National Constitution Center talkatGoogle VideosNovember 2, 2005 (skip to 30 minutes market)ArchivedFebruary 25, 2007 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Address ArchivedMarch 6, 2006, at theWayback Machine. to the Los AngelesWorld Affairs CouncilNovember 15, 2005
- Jump up^ City Arts and Lectures appearance ArchivedFebruary 3, 2006, at theWayback Machine. November 16, 2005
- Jump up^ “Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln” . Books of Our Time . Retrieved February 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Alter, Alexandra (October 28, 2011). “Stephen King’s New Monster”. The Wall Street Journal .
- Jump up^ Hillel Italie (June 30, 2014). “Tartt, Goodwin Awarded Carnegie Medal”. Seattle Times . Associated Press . Retrieved July 1, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Carolyn Kellogg (February 19, 2014). “Announcing the LA Times Book Prize finalists for 2013” . LA Times . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Stephens, Emily L. (13 October 2016). “AHS: Roanoke FINDS Itself in a hole, keeps digging-into zijn fit” . Retrieved 14 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ Crader, Bo (January 28, 2002). “A Historian and Her Sources”. The Weekly Standard.
- Jump up^ Lawless, Jill (March 23, 2002). “Author Says Doris Kearns Goodwin Took ‘Heart and Guts’ From Her Book”. Associated Press.
- Jump up^ Goodwin, Doris Kearns (January 27, 2002). “How I Caused That Story”. Time .
- Jump up^ King, Peter H. (August 4, 2002). “If History Repeats Itself, the Scholar Becomes the Story”. Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ Noah, Timothy (November 13, 2003). “Historians Rewrite History: The Campaign to Exonerate Doris Kearns Goodwin” . Slate .
- Jump up^ Lewis, Mark (February 27, 2002). “Doris Kearns Goodwin And The Credibility Gap” . Forbes . Retrieved February 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Roughier Ray (March 15, 1995). “The Natural TV producers love Doris Kearns Goodwin, historian and baseball fan, who is right at home in front of a camera. Now Mainers will harbor three chances to see re in person” . Portland Press Herald . p. 1C . Retrieved September 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Amazon.com: Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream: The Most Revealing Portrait of a President and Presidential Power Ever Written (9780312060275): Doris Kearns Goodwin: Books” . amazon.com .
- Jump up^ “The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga: Doris Kearns Goodwin: 9780312063542: Amazon.com: Books” . amazon.com .
- Jump up^ “Wait Till Next Year – A Memoir: Doris Kearns Goodwin: 9780684847955: Amazon.com: Books” . amazon.com .
- Jump up^ “Every Four Years: Presidential Campaign Coverage from 1896 to 2000: Doris Kearns Goodwin: 9780965509176: Amazon.com: Books” . amazon.com .
- Jump up^ “The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism – Kindle edition by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.” . amazon.com .