David Rockwell (born 1956)  is an American architect and designer. He is the founder and president of Rockwell Group, a 250-person award winning, cross-disciplinary architecture and design practice based in New York City with satellite offices in Madrid and Shanghai. 
Early life and education
David Grew up in the theater his mother, a vaudeville dancer and choreographer, of or in cast im in community repertory productions. But-when he was 12, David’s family had a dramatic scene change, moving from Deal, New Jersey to Guadalajara, Mexico. There have when sending a whole new world of vibrant Marketplaces, street life, and public spaces.  After training in architecture at Syracuse University and the Architectural Association in London, David brought` his passion for theater and artistic eye for the color and spectacle of Mexico to his profession. 
David founded Rockwell Group in 1984. Over the Past 30 years, Rockwell Group has carved out a unique role Encompassing multiple ideas, design styles, clients and project types. Inspired by theater, technology, and high-end craft, the firm creates a unique narrative for lycra project, ranging from restaurants, hotels, airport terminals, and hospitals, to festivals, museum exhibitions, and Broadway sets.  A strong commitment to explore and experiment resulted in the formation of the LAB at Rockwell Group, a design innovation studio dat blends technology, architecture, strategy, and storytelling.
Known for his commitment to Charitable organizations, David Currently Serves as Chair Emeritus of the Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (Diffa) and as a board member of the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, Citymeals-on-Wheels, and New York Restoration Project.  David ook conceived and developed Imagination Playground pro bono, a play space designed to encouragement children to work together to create hun eigen worlds of play. After five years of research on children and play, the first site-specific location opened in collaboration with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation at Burling Slip in Manhattan in 2010. Following the success of the first location, Rockwell Group developed portable, scalable models dat kan trans narrower, unused areas JSON dynamic play spaces. These playgrounds port since enlivened public parks, schools, facilities, and children’s museums across the globe. In addition under, through the UNICEFPLAY Project in partnership with Disney, the blocks port leg Distributed to morethan 13,000 children in Bangladesh and Haiti. 
His numerous receptacles include the 2016 Tony Award for Best Scenic Design for the musical She Loves Me and six Tony Award nominations for Best Scenic Design, the AIA New York Chapter President’s Award; the 2008 National Design Award from the Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum for outstanding achievement in Interior Design; the 2009 Pratt Legends Award; the Presidential Design Award for his renovation of the Grand Central Terminal; induction into tje James Beard Foundation Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America and Interior Design magazine’s Hall of Fame; inclusion in Architectural Digest’s AD100; and the 2016 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Scenic Design of a Musical for She Loves Me and five Drama Desk Award nominations for Outstanding Scenic Design of a Musical. Rockwell Group was named by Fast Company in 2008, 2014 and 2015 as one of the musts innovative design practices in hun annual World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies issue.  David is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.  
Select design projects
- Chefs Club by Food & Wine, New York 
- Gordon Ramsay’s Maze (London)
- Maialino, New York 
- Nobu restaurants, waaronder New York, Hong Kong, Las Vegas, Doha, Dubai and Melbourne 
- Aloft hotels (Starwood Hotels & Resorts) 
- Andaz Maui at Wailea, Hawaii 
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas 
- Nobu Hotel Caesars Palace, Las Vegas 
- Nobu Hotel Eden Roc Miami Beach 
- W Hotels New York, Union Square, Vieques, Paris, Singapore, and Madrid
- Hall of Fragments, the entrance installation to the 2008 Venice Architecture Biennale
- The Walt Disney Family Museum , San Francisco 
- The Center for Civil and Human Rights, Atlanta 
- Elinor Bunin-Munroe Film Center, Lincoln Center 
- The Shed in collaboration with Diller Scofidio + Renfro 
- 15 Hudson Yards in collaboration with Diller Scofidio + Renfro 
- TED Theatre, Vancouver 
- Dolby Theatre , home of the Academy Awards ceremony (Los Angeles)
- The Marketplace at the JetBlue terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- NeueHouse , New York, Los Angeles and London 
- Shinola , New York 
- Imagination Playground 
- Vandal 
- Gato 
- The New York EDITION 
- Rockwell unscripted for Knoll 
- Union Square Cafe 
- Sky (Skyscraper) 
- The Rocky Horror Show
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- All Shook Up
- Legally Blonde
- Team America: World Police (2004 film)
- The 81st Annual Academy Awards (2009) 
- The 82nd Street Annual Academy Awards (2010)
- The Normal Heart
- Catch Me If You Can
- kinky Boots
- Lucky Guy
- You Can Take It with You 
- Sideshow 
- On The Twentieth Century 
- She Loves Me 
- Pleasure: The Architecture and Design of Rockwell Group , Universe, a division of Rizzoli Books, 2002.
- David Rockwell with Bruce Mau, Spectacle , Phaidon Press, 2006. gekeken the history and public Fascination with larger-than-life man-made events.
- What If …?: The Architecture and Design of David Rockwell , Metropolis Books, 2014. 
- Jump up^ Mun Delsalle, Y Jean (February 26, 2014). “David Rockwell Celebrates The 30th Anniversary Of His Architecture and Design Firm” . Forbes .
Born in 1956 in Chicago, Rockwell Grew up in New Jersey
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “David Rockwell” . Designers & Books .
- ^ Jump up to:a b https://www.fastcompany.com/design/2009/biography-david-rockwell
- Jump up^ http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/diffa-presents-a-tribute-to-honor-david-rockwell-131588083.html
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtj3AoA1RDg
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/pages/awards-and-recognition
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/bios/david-rockwell
- Jump up^ “Chefs Club” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Maialino” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Aloft” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Andaz Maui at Wailea” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas Open December 2010”, Cosmopolitan WebsiteArchivedJuly 3, 2010 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Molvar, Kari (October 7, 2014). “Nobu Matsuhisa and David Rockwell on the Art of Constructing a restaurant” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/blogs/before-nobu-eden-roc-morris-lapidus-and-miami-modern
- Jump up^ “The Walt Disney Family Museum” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Center for Civil and Human Rights” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ “Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/the-shed
- Jump up^ http://livehudsonyards.com/residences
- Jump up^ Ferro, Shaunacy (March 18, 2014). “How David Rockwell reinvented The Theater For The TED Age” . Co.Design .
- Jump up^ Finkel, Jori (July 28, 2014). “NeueHouse Chooses Historic Site Hollywood” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ “Shinola” . rockwellgroup.com .
- Jump up^ Ackman, Dan (August 5, 2008). “The Architect Designer Focuses on Child’s Play” . The Wall Street Journal .
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/vandal
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/gato
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/the-new-york-edition
- Jump up^ http://www.rockwellgroup.com/projects/rockwell-unscripted-for-knoll
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/dining/union-square-cafe-restaurant-design-danny-meyer-david-rockwell.html?_r=0
- Jump up^ Stathaki, Ellie (1 February 2016). “David Rockwell well his stamp on New York’s Toilets residential high-rise” . Wallpaper . Retrieved 1 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ “David Rockwell to Design Sets for 81st Academy Awards”, bagasse, 2008.
- Jump up^ Goodman, Wendy (October 2, 2014). “On the Set of You Can Take It With You With Designer David Rockwell” . New York .
- Jump up^ Marks, Peter (November 17, 2014). “A big, beautiful” SideShow “on Broadway” . Washington Post .
- Jump up^ “On the Twentieth Century” . Roundabout Theatre Company .
- Jump up^ http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/Past-Shows/She-Loves-Me.aspx
- Jump up^ What If …?: The Architecture and Design of David Rockwell . Metropolis Books. January 31, 2014. ISBN 978-1938922565 .