David Byrne ( / b ɜːr a / ; born 14 May 1952) is a Scottish-born American multi-instrumentalist   who was the founding member, principal songwriter, and lead singer and guitarist of the American new wave band Talking Heads , active between 1975 and 1991.
Since dan, Byrne has released his own solo recordings and worked with verschillende media zoals film, photography, opera, fiction and non-fiction. He has RECEIVED Oscar , Grammy , and Golden Globe awards and leg inducted into tje Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . Byrne is a multi-instrumentalist and is Berninahaus for his distinctive voice.
David Byrne was born 14 May 1952 in Dumbarton , Scotland, to parents Tom (from Lambhill , Glasgow) and Emma. He is the elder of two children. Two years after his birth, his parents moved to Hamilton, Ontario , Canada, and-then to Arbutus, Maryland , in the United States, als have been 8 or 9 years old. His Father worked as an electronics engineer.
Before high school, Byrne Already Knew how to play the guitar, accordion , and violin. He was rejected from his middle school ‘s choir Because they ‘have claimed was “off-key and too withdrawn”. From a young age, he had a strong interest in music. His parents say dat he mention anything about constantly play his phonograph from age three and have learned how to play the accordion at age five.  In his journals he says, “I was a peculiar young man borderline Asperger’s , I guess mention anything.”  
Talking Heads: 1975–1991
While working day jobs in late 1974 ze ulcers contemplating a band. In January 1975, they ‘ulcers Practicing and playing together, while still working normal day jobs. Ze founded the band Talking Heads and had hun first gig in June.   Byrne quit his day job in May 1976 and the three-piece band signed to Sire Records in November. Multi-instrumentalist Jerry Harrison joined the band in 1977. The band released eight studio albums voordat going JSON hiatus in 1988. Byrne gewenste to go solo, but it took three years Until 1991 to announce dat de band was breaking up. A letter reunion for a single ” Sax and Violins ” in 1991 occurred voordat Dissolving again. The band was inducted into tje Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002, als ze Reunited to play four tracks, zoals ” Psycho Killer ” and ” Burning Down the House “. 
Solo album career: 1979-1981, 1989-present
Rei Momo (1989) was the first solo album by Byrne after leaving Talking Heads, and features Mainly African-Cuban, Afro-Hispanic, and Brazilian song styles zoals popular dances waaronder merengue , sun cubano , samba , mambo , cumbia , cha-cha -chá , bomba and Charanga . His third solo album, Uh-Oh (1992), featured a brass section and was driven by catchy tracks zoals “Girls on My Mind” and “The Cowboy Mambo (Hey Lookit Me Now)”. His fourth solo album, Titled David Byrne (1994), was a more proper rock record, with Byrne playing musts of the instruments on it, leaving percussion for session musicians. “Angels” and “Back in the Box” ulcers the two main singles released from the album. The first one entered the US Modern Rock Tracks chart, reaching No. 24. For his fifth studio effort the emotional Feelings (1997), Byrne Employed a brass orchestra called Black Cat Orchestra. His sixth Look into tje Eyeball (2001) continued the co-musical exploration or Feelings , but were Compiled or more upbeat tracks, like Those found on Uh-oh .
Grown Backwards (2004), released by Nonesuch Records , used orchestral string arrangements, and of includes two Operatic arias as well as a rework or X-Press 2 collaboration ” Lazy “. He’ll be launching a North American and Australian tour with the Tosca Strings. This tour ended with Los Angeles , San Diego and New York shows in August 2005. He has ook collaborated with Selena for re 1995 album Dreaming Of You with God’s Child (Baila Conmigo) in 1995. [ citation needed ]
Byrne and Eno Reunited for his eighth album Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (2008).  He assembled a band to tour worldwide for the album for a six-month period from late 2008 through early 2009 on the Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno Tour .
In 2012 he released a collaborative album with American singer songwriter St. Vincent called Love This Giant .
Work in theater and film: 1981-present
In 1981, Byrne partnered with choreographer Twyla Tharp , scoring music he wrote therein Appeared on his album The Catherine Wheel for a ballet with the combination of names, prominently featuring unusual ritmen and lyrics. Productions of The Catherine Wheel Appeared on Broadway dat co year. In Spite of Wishing and Wanting is a soundscape David Byrne produktie for the Belgian choreographer Wim Vandekeybus ‘s dance company Ultima Vez.
In 1991, Byrne released a classical instrumental album The Forest , where some of the tracks ulcers Already featured as a score for 1988 Robert Wilson theater piece of the assembly names.
His work has leg extensively-used in movie soundtracks , must notably in collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto and Cong Su on Bernardo Bertolucci ‘s The Last Emperor , welke won an Academy Award for Best Original Score . In 2004, Lead Us Not JSON Temptation (music from the film “Young Adam”) included tracks and musical experiments from his score to Young Adam . Byrne ook wrote, directed, and starred in True Stories , a musical collage of discordant Americana released in 1986, as well as Producing musts of the film’s music. Byrne ook directed the documentary Ile Aiye and the concert film or his 1992 Latin tinged tour Titled Between the Teeth . He was chiefly verantwoordelijk for the stage design and choreography or Stop Making Sense in 1984. Byrne added “Loco de Amor” with Celia Cruz to Jonathan Demme ‘s 1986 film Something Wild .
Byrne wrote the Dirty Dozen Brass Band -inspired score for Robert Wilson ‘s opera The Knee Plays from The Civil Wars: A Tree Is Best Measured When It Is Down . Some of the music from Byrne’s orchestral album The Forest was oorspronkelijk-used in a Wilson-directed theater piece with the assembly names. The Forest premiered at the Theater der Freien Volksbühne , Berlin in 1988. It RECEIVED zijn New York premiere in January 1988 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM). The Forestry Maxi-single contained dance and industrial remixes of pieces from The Forest at Jack Dangers , Rudy Tambala, and Anthony Capel.
In late 2005, Byrne and Fatboy Slim Began work on Lord Lies Love , a disco opera or song cycle about the life of Imelda Marcos , the controversial former First Lady of the Philippines . Some music from this piece was debuted at Adelaide Festival of Arts in Australia in February 2006 and the following year at Carnegie Hall on 3 February 2007.
In 2008, Byrne released Big Love: Hymnal – his soundtrack to season two or Big Love . These two albums constituted the first releases on his personal independent record label Todo Mundo .
Byrne and Brian Eno Provided the soundtrack for the movie Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps . 
Other musical contributions: 1990-present
Byrne has Contributed songs to five AIDS benefit compilation albums produktie by the Red Hot Organization : Red Hot + Blue : A Tribute to Cole Porter , Red Hot + Rio , Silencio = Muerte: Red Hot + Latin , Onda Sonora Red Hot + Lisbon , and Offbeat: A Red Hot Sound Trip . Byrne Appeared as a guest vocalist / guitarist for 10,000 Maniacs prolongation hun MTV Unplugged concert, though the songs in welke have been featured in later cut from hun volgende album. One of them, ‘Let the Mystery Be “Appeared as the fourth track on 10,000 Maniacs ‘ CD single” Few and Far Between “. Byrne worked with Latin superstar Selena , writing, Producing and singing a song ( “God’s Child (Baila Conmigo)”), included on re last album voordat re murder, Dreaming of You . Byrne was the host of Sessions at West 54TH prolongation zijn second or three seasons and collaborated with members of Devo and Morcheeba to record the album Feelings in 1997.
In 1992 he Performed with Richard Thompson . Their joint acoustic concert at St. Ann & The Holy Trinity in Brooklyn Heights , New York on March 24, produktie the album An Acoustic Evening welke was released the co year. 
In 2001 a version of Byrne’s single ” Like Humans Do “, edited to remove zijn drug reference , was selected by Microsoft as the sample music for Windows XP to demo streets Windows Media Player .  
In 2002, he co-wrote and Provided vocals for a track ” Lazy ” with X-Press 2 , welke reached No. 2 in the United Kingdom and number-one on the US Dance Charts. Byrne zegt in an interview on BBC Four Sessions coverage of his Union Chapel performance that ‘Lazy “was number-one in Syria . The track later featured with orchestral arrangements on his Grown Backwards (2004) album.
In 2006, his singing was featured on “The Heart’s a Lonely Hunter” on The Cosmic Game by Thievery Corporation .
He is featured on the track “Money” and “The People Tree” on NASA ‘s 2009 album The Spirit of Apollo . Also in 2009, Byrne Appeared on HIV / AIDS charity album Dark Was the Night for Red Hot Organization . He collaborated with Dirty Projectors on the song “Knotty Pine”. In the co-year, Byrne Performed at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. He’ll be was a signator or a letter protesting stay the decision of the Toronto International Film Festival to choose Tel Aviv as the subject or zijn inaugural City-to-City Spotlight beach. 
In 2007, Byrne Provided a cover of the Fiery Furnaces ‘ song “Ex-Guru” for a compilation to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the founding of Thrill Jockey , a Chicago-based record label.
In 2008, Byrne and his production team turned the Battery Maritime Building , a 99-year-old ferry terminal in Manhattan , JSON a playable musical instrument.  The structure was connected Electronically to a pipe organ and made playable for a piece called ” Playing the Building “.  This project to post installed in Stockholm , Sweden in 2005,  and later at the London Roundhouse in 2009. It bears Similarities to a series of installations created by New Zealand and Detroit-based artists Alastair Galbraith and Matt De Genaro, welke ulcers Recorded on hun 1998 record Wire Music and on the 2006 follow-up Long Wires in Dark Museums, Vol. 2 . Byrne says that the point of the project was to allow directive people to experience art first hand at customizing music with the organ, Rather dan simply looking at it. 
In April 2008, Byrne took part in the Paul Simon retrospective concert series at BAM performing ” You Can Call Me Al ” and “I Know What I Know” from Simon’s Graceland album. 
In 2008, Byrne collaborated with the Brighton Port Authority , composing the music and singing the lyrics for ” When Jam “.
In May 2011, Byrne Contributed backing vocals to the Arcade Fire track “Speaking in Tongues” welke Appeared on the deluxe edition of hun 2010 album The Suburbs . 
In March 2013, he debuted a ‘fully staged production of his 2010 concept album Lord Lies Love at New York’s Public Theater , directed by Tony Award -nominee Alex Timbers volgende zijn premiere at MOCA earlier in the year.
In May 2014, Byrne announced his Involvement with Anna Calvi ‘s EP, Strange Weather , collaborating with re on two songs: a cover of Keren Ann ‘s “Strange Weather” and Connan Mockasin ‘s “I’m the Man That Will Find You “. 
In August 2016, Byrne was featured on “Snoopies” on the Kickstarter -funded album, and the Anonymous Nobody … by De La Soul . 
Byrne founded the world music record label Luaka Bop in 1990. It was created to oorspronkelijk release Latin American compilations, but it has grown to include music from Cuba, Africa, the Far East and beyond, releasing the work of artists zoals Cornershop , Os Mutantes , Los The Abajo , Jim White , Zap Mama , Tom Zé , Los Amigos invisibles and King Chango .  
In 2003, Byrne guest starred as himself on The Simpsons (season 14) episode, Dude, Where’s My Ranch? .
In 2005, Byrne Initiated his own Internet radio station, Radio David Byrne.  each month, Byrne posts a playlist of music he likes, linked by themes or genres. Byrne’s playlists port included African popular music , country music classics , vox humana , classical opera and film scores from Italian movies .
In 2006, Byrne released Arboretum , a Sketchbook facsimile or his Tree Drawings, published by McSweeney’s . Byrne is a visual artist Whose work has leg shown in contemporary art galleries and museums around since the 1990s. Represented at the Pace / MacGill Gallery in New York. In 2010 his original artwork in the exhibition The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University . 
In the 1970s, Byrne had relationships with Andrea Kovacs and Mary Clarke who had attended the Rhode Island School of Design. He’ll be had a relationship with photographer Lynn Goldsmith in 1980. [ citation needed ] He had a letter affair with Toni Basil in 1981  and have dated Twyla Tharp tussen 1981 and 1982.  While visiting Japan in 1982, [29 ] Byrne costume designer Adelle Lutz Whom he married in 1987.  Way Down harbor a daughter, Malu Abeni Valentine Byrne, born in 1989.  Byrne and Lutz divorced in 2004.  After his divorce, he became romantically involved with art curator and Gagosian Gallery sales director Louise Neri.  He’ll be had a relationship with the artist Cindy Sherman from 2007 to 2011. 
Hoewel de a resident of the United States since childhood, Byrne was still a British citizen ,  but toegepast for US citizenship in 2012.  He lives in New York City . His Father, Thomas, mayest in October 2013. His mother, Emma Byrne, mayest on 25 June 2014.  In 2016, Byrne acquired US citizenship and voted for the first time in the presidential election by hero dat year. 
Byrne Berninahaus for his activism in support of Increased cycling and for maintenance-used a bike as his main Means of transport Throughout his life, met name cycling around New York .  In Los Angeles , Byrne drives a Citroen DS , but in New York he does not own a car.  
Byrne says dat he Began cycling have while in high school and Returned to it as an adult in the late 1970s. He likes the freedom and exhilaration cycling Gives im. He has written widely on cycling, zoals a 2009 book, Bicycle Diaries .  In August 2009, Byrne auctioned his Montague folding bike to raise money for the London Cycling Campaign .
In 2008, Byrne designed a series of bicycle parking racks in the form of image dotted outlines corresponding to the areas in welke ze ulcers located in the euro, zoals a dollar sign for Wall Street and an electric guitar in Williamsburg , Brooklyn. Byrne worked with a manufacturer dat constructed the racks in exchange for the right to sell Them later than art. The racks remained on the streets for about a year. 
Solo studio albums
- My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (with Brian Eno ) (1981)
- Rei Momo (1989)
- Uh-Oh (1992)
- David Byrne (1994)
- Feelings (1997)
- Look into tje Eyeball (2001)
- Grown Backwards (2004)
- Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (with Brian Eno ) (2008)
- Love This Giant (with St. Vincent ) (2012)
- True Stories (1986)
- Strange Ritual , Chronicle Books (1995)
- Your Action World (1999)
- The New Sins (Los Nuevos Pecados) (2001)
- David Byrne Asks You: What Is It? Smart Art Press (2002)
- Envisioning Emotional Epistemological Information with DVD (2003)
- Arboretum (2006)
- Bicycle Diaries (2009)
- How Music Works (2012)
- Stop Making Sense – concert movie from Talking Heads tour (1984)
- True Stories (1986)
- The Last Emperor – Soundtrack (1987)
- Ile Aiye ( The House of Life ) – Documentary (1989)
- Lord Lies Love – concept album in collaboration with Norman Cook (released 2010)
- Ride, Rise, Roar – music documentary or his concert tour with Brian Eno (released in 2010) 
- This Must Be the Place – 2011
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kennedy, Randy (30 May 2008). “David Byrne’s New Band With Architectural Solos” . The New York Times . The New York Times Company . Retrieved 30 May 2008 .
- Jump up^ Tam, Leo Nardo. “The Dumbarton Road to Nowhere” . Retrieved 21 January 2012 .
one of Scotland’s most famous expatriates
- Jump up^ Grant, Richard (16 March 2009). “David Byrne: stay hungry” . The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved 21 January 2012 .
Born in Dumbarton, Scotland (a point of pride, like his British passport)
- Jump up^ “Rock’s Renaissance Man.” TIME Magazine. October 27, 1986at theWayback Machine(archived 15 January 2008).Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ Indie Rock’s Patron Saint Inspires a New Flock – referencing Bryne’s April 15, 2006 journal entry. New York Times , By Will Hermes, January 14, 2007. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ David Byrne Journal: 04.15.06: Military revolt, back pagesat theWayback Machine(archived October 14, 2007). Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ Gittins, Ian,Talking Heads: Once in a Lifetime: the Stories Behind Every Song,Hal Leonard Corporation, 2004, p. 140ISBN 0-634-08033-4,ISBN 978-0-634-08033-3.
- Jump up^ Isola, Gregory (March 1997). “Tina Talks Heads, Tom Tom, and How to Succeed at Bass Without Really Trying” . Bass Player . Archived from the original on 10 February 2009 . Retrieved 15 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Talking Heads Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . Retrieved 15 May 2013
- Jump up^ “2002 Induction Ceremony” . The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum . Retrieved 15 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Tour Dates for David Byrne – Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno” . David Byrne. 4 August 2008. Archived from the originalon 22 August 2008 . Retrieved 11 January 2010 .
- Jump up^ Legel, Laremy (23 September 2010). “Review: Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” . Film.com.
- Jump up^  [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ David Byrne to Provide Promotional Music for Windows XP: “Like Humans Do” to Give Music Fans a Taste of the Digital Music Experience in Windows XP. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ You May Find Yourself On Windows XP – Forbes.com with Davide Dukcevich, August 21, 2001. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ Toronto film festival hit by protests on Tel Aviv beach at Ben Walters, September 7, 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ Thill Scott (12 May 2008). “David Byrne Converts Building naar Giant Instrument” . Wired.com . Advance Publications. Archived from the original on 19 May 2008 . Retrieved 11 January 2010 .
- Jump up^ “David Byrne Playing the Building” . 8 October 2005 . Retrieved 11 January 2010 .
- Jump up^ Brian Baiker. “A Building for a Song.” Newsweek. June 2, 2008at theWayback Machine(archived 2 August 2008). Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ David Byrne joins Paul Simon on stage in New Yorkat theWayback Machine(archived 22 June 2008), NME. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ Cragg, Michael (24 May 2011). “Arcade Fire feat David Byrne – Speaking in Tongues” . The Guardian . London.
- Jump up^ “ANNA CALVI Announces’ STRANGE WEATHER ‘EP, LISTEN TO’ PAPI PACIFY” COVER ” . Domino . 13 May 2014 . Retrieved13 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Sendra, Tim (August 2016). “And the Anonymous Nobody” . AllMusic . Retrieved November 23, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “LUAKA BOP” . Retrieved 25 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ NPR audio interview July 8, 2000. Retrieved 11 June 2010.
- Jump up^ “Radio David Byrne” . David Byrne.com . Retrieved 11 January 2010 .
- Jump up^ Visual Art listing at Bryne’s website. Retrieved 11 June 2010.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Bowman, David (2001). This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century . New York: HarperCollins. p. 202. ISBN 978-0-380-97846-5 .
- Jump up^ Bowman, p. 235.
- Jump up^ Sella, Marshall (29 April 2001). “Same as He Ever Was” . The New York Times . Retrieved 15 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Bowman, p. 336.
- Jump up^ Grant, Richard (16 March 2009). “David Byrne: Stay Hungry”. The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved 15 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Sandall, Robert (28 February 2004). “How the Talking Head Learnt To Sing from the Heart” . The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved 15 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Simon Hattenstone (15 January 2011). “Cindy Sherman interview” . London: Guardian . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “David Byrne Can not Vote But Hopes You Will.” Rolling Stone.November 4, 2008. Retrieved 11 January 2010.Archived19 October 2009 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Byrne’s free public email announcement the day prior to the 2012 presidential election by, urging Americans to vote, says, onder andere things, “I With You to get dual citizenship in time for the election by, but it did not work out . I’m actually looking forward to taking the test. ” David Byrne news [at] davidbyrne.com through campaignmail.topspin.net, Mon, 5 November 2012 at 5:45 PM; subject: Post Sandy / Election Day.
- Jump up^ “Journal – EMMA BYRNE” . 31 July 2014 . Retrieved 25 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Journal – Nothin ‘Could BE FINE AH THAN TO BE IN CAROLINA” . 7 November 2016 . Retrieved 25 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Bicycle Diaries” . davidbyrne.com . Retrieved 20 July 2016 .
- Jump up^ Tom Schnabel (5 November 2011). “David Byrne & Barry White: What Cars Way Down drove” . KCRW Rhythm Planet . Retrieved 20 July 2016 .
- Jump up^ Sutter, John D. (April 1, 2010). “David Byrne: Song lyrics are overrated” . CNN . Retrieved 15 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Maus (23 July 2009). “Rocker / bike activist David Byrne announces Portland event” . BikePortland.org . Retrieved 15 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ariel Kaminer. “David Byrne, Cultural Omnivores, Raises Cycling Rack to an Art Form.” The New York Times. August 8, 2008. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Jump up^ “Byrne’s bibliography on Byrne’s Website” . Davidbyrne.com . Retrieved 25 June 2010 .
- Jump up^ “David Byrne website movie listing” . Davidbyrne.com . Retrieved 25 June 2010 .