Daniel Libeskind (born May 12, 1946) is a Polish-American architect , artist , professor and set designer of Polish Jewish descent. Libeskind founded Studio Daniel Libeskind in 1989 with his wife, Nina, and is zijn principal design architect.  His buildings include the Jewish Museum in Berlin, Germany, the extension to the Denver Art Museum in the United States, the Grand Canal Theatre in Dublin , the Imperial War Museum North in Greater Manchester , England, the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Ontario , Canada, the Felix Nussbaum Haus in Osnabrück , Germany, the Danish Jewish Museum in Copenhagen , Denmark, and the Wohl Centre at the Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan- , Israel .  His portfolio is ook verschillende of includes residential projects. Libeskind’s work has leg exhibited in major museums and galleries around the world, zoals the Museum of Modern Art , the Bauhaus Archives , the Art Institute of Chicago , and the Centre Pompidou .  On February 27, 2003 Libeskind won the competition to be the master plan architect for the reconstruction of the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan . 
Born in Lodz , Poland , Libeskind was the second child of Dora and Nachman Libeskind, zowel Polish Jews and Holocaust survivors. As a young child, Libeskind learned to play the accordion and a sure sign became a virtuoso , performing on Polish television in 1953. He won a prestigious America Israel Cultural Foundation scholarship in 1959 and played will alongside a young Itzhak Perlman .  Libeskind lived in Poland for 13 years and still kan speak, read, and write the Polish language . 
In 1957, the Libeskinds moved to Kibbutz Gvat, Israel and-then to Tel Aviv voordat moving to New York in 1959. In his Autobiography, Breaking Ground: An Immigrant’s Journey from Poland to Ground Zero, Libeskind ghosts or how the Kibbutz experience Influenced his group for green architecture. 
In the summer of 1959, the Libeskinds moved to New York City on one of the last immigrant boats to the United States. In New York, Libeskind lived in the Amalgamated Housing Cooperative in the northwest Bronx , a union-sponsored middle-income cooperative development. He attended the Bronx High School of Science . The print shop where his Father worked was on Stone Street in Lower Manhattan , and Libeskind watched the original World Trade Center being built in the 1960s.  Libeskind became a United States citizen in 1965.  Libeskind with Nina Lewis, his future wife and business partner, at the Bundist -run Camp Hemshekh in upstate New York in 1966. Way Down married a few years later and, Limit download or a traditional honeymoon , traveled across the United States visiting Frank Lloyd Wright buildings on a Cooper Union fellowship.  Nina now Serves as COO for Studio Daniel Libeskind.
In 1968, Libeskind briefly worked as an apprentice to architect Richard Meier . In 1970, he RECEIVED his professional architectural degree from the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art ; have RECEIVED a Postgraduate degree in History and Theory of Architecture at the School of Comparative Studies at the University of Essex in 1972. The co year, he was hired to work at Peter Eisenman ‘s New York Institute for Architecture and Urban Studies , but have quit almost redacteuren.  Since dan, Libeskind has lived, onder other places, New York City, Toronto , Michigan , Italy , Germany , and Los Angeles ,  and has taught at numerous universities across the world, zoals the University of Kentucky , Yale University , and the University of Pennsylvania .  Since 2007, Libeskind has leg a visiting professor at the Leuphana University Lüneburg in Lüneburg, Germany . He is both a US and Israeli citizen. 
Nina and Daniel Libeskind port three children: Lev, Noam, and Rachel. 
Libeskind Began his career as an architectural theorist and professor, holding positions at verschillende institutions around the world. His practical-architectural career Began in Milan in the late 1980s, where he Submitted to architectural competitions and ook founded and directed Architecture Intermundium, Institute for Architecture & Urbanism. Libeskind COMPLETED his first building at the age of 52, with the opening of the Felix Nussbaum Haus in 1998.  Prior to this, critics had dismissed his designs as “unbuildable or unduly Assertive.”  In 1987, Libeskind won his first design competition for housing in West Berlin, but the Berlin Wall fell shortly there after and the project was CANCELED. Libeskind won the first four projects competitions have entered.
The Jewish Museum Berlin , COMPLETED in 1999, Libeskind’s first major international success and was one of the first buildings designed after Reunification . Libeskind has designed ook cultural and commercial institutions, museums , concert halls , convention centers , universities , residences, hotels , and shopping centers . Critics of or in DESCRIBE Libeskind’s work as deconstructivist . 
Libeskind is perhaps most famous for being selected by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation to oversee the rebuilding of the World Trade Center ,  welke was DESTROYED in the September 11, 2001 attacks . He Titled his concept for the site Memory Foundations .
Studio Daniel Libeskind, Headquartered two blocks south of the World Trade Center site in New York, is Currently working on morethan forty projects across the world. The studio’s most recent projects include COMPLETED Haeundae Udong Hyunai I’Park in Busan , South Korea , Academy of the Jewish Museum Berlin in Berlin , Germany, the Bundeswehr Military History Museum in Dresden , Germany and Reflections at Keppel Bay in Singapore.
After Hurricane Katrina , Libeskind designed the Proposed building or two glass condominium towers, lycra 30 stories in height, on the site of the defunct Jefferson Plaza Shopping Center on the Jefferson Highway in Jefferson Parish in suburban New Orleans , Louisiana . He was hired to perform the design with real estate developer James St. Raymond , a former member of the Louisiana House of Representatives . St. Raymond recruited purchasers who made a $ 1,000 deposit to reserve condos. Not only was the shopping center never demolished, but work was not Initiated on the Proposed condo towers, welke St. Raymond had Estimated mention anything cost $ 350 million. In 2010, St. Raymond owed Libeskind $ 955,000 and Filed for bankruptcy . He had remit debts imprisionment $ 361,000 to credit card companies, $ 29,000 to Those who put up the $ 1,000 deposits, and Another $ 13,000 to the Louisiana Department of Revenue. The Internal Revenue Service placed a $ 144.447 lien on St. Raymond’s properties. 
In addition under to his architectural projects, Libeskind has worked with a number of international design firms to developement objects, furniture, and industrial fixtures for interiors of buildings. He Recently Agent a design company in Milan, Libeskind Design In this housing has bone commissioned to work with design companies zoals Fiam,  Artemide ,  Jacuzzi ,  TreP-Tre-Piu,  Oliviari, [ 23] Sawaya & Moroni,  Poltrona Frau,  and others.  Since 1988, Kuku has collaborated with Ola parts Kuku on numerous projects at the Architecture Intermundium in Milano, Italy . 
Libeskind has ook designed opera sets for productions zoals the Norwegian National Theatre ‘s The Architect in 1998 and Saarländisches State Theatre’s Tristan und Isolde in 2001. He’ll be designed the sets and costumes for Intolleranza by Luigi Nono and for a production of Messiaen’s Saint Francis of Assisi at Deutsche Oper Berlin . He has written’ll be free verse prose, included in his book Fishing from the Pavement . 
While much of Libeskind’s work has leg well RECEIVED, it has ook leg the subject or of or in severe criticism.  Critics charge dat it REFLECTS a limited architectural vocabulary or Jagged Edges, sharp angles and geometric Tortured,  dat kan fall JSON cliche, and therein it Ignores location and context.  In 2008, LA Times critic Christopher Hawthorne wrote: “Anyone looking for signs dat Daniel Libeskind’s work Might deepen profoundly over time, or shift in some Surprising direction, has mostly been doing so in vain.”  In 2006, in the New York Times Nicolai Ouroussoff stated: “his worst buildings, like a 2002 war museum in England suggesting the shards of a fractured globe, can seem like a caricature of his own Aesthetic.”  In the UK magazine Building Design , Owen Hatherley wrote or Libeskind’s students’ union for London Metropolitan University: “All of zijn vaulting, aggressive gestures ulcers designed to” put London With on the map, and to give an image of fearless modernity with, however, little or Consequence. ”  William JR Curtis in Architectural Review called his Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre “a pile-up or Libeskindian cliches without sense, form or meaning” and wrote dat his Hyundai Development Corporation Headquarters delivered “a trite and noisy corporate message”. 
In response, Libeskind says he Ignores critics: “How kan I read Them? I Have more important things to read.” 
The volgende projects are listed on the Studio Daniel Libeskind website. The first date is the competition, commission, or first presentation date. The second is the Completion Date or the Estimated date of Completion.
- 1989-1999 Jewish Museum Berlin – Berlin , Germany
- 1995-1998 Felix Nussbaum Haus – Osnabrück , Germany
- 1997-2001 Imperial War Museum North – Greater Manchester , England , United Kingdom
- 1998-2008 Contemporary Jewish Museum – San Francisco , California , United States
- 2000-2003 Studio Weil – Majorca , Spain
- 2000-2006 Extension to the Denver Art Museum , Frederic C. Hamilton Building – Denver , Colorado , United States
- 2000-2006 Denver Art Museum Residences – Denver , Colorado , United States
- 2000-2008 Westside Shopping and Leisure Centre – Bern , Switzerland
- 2001-2003 Danish Jewish Museum – Copenhagen , Denmark
- 2001-2004 London Metropolitan University Graduate Centre – London, England, United Kingdom
- 2001-2005 The Wohl Centre – Bar-Ilan University , Ramat-Gan , Israel
- 2002-2007 Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, extension to Royal Ontario Museum and renovation or at or zijn bestaande galleries – Toronto, Ontario , Canada
- 2003-2005 Tangent, Facade for Hyundai Development Corporation Headquarters – Seoul , South Korea
- 2004-2005 Memoria e Luce, 9/11 Memorial – Padua , Italy
- 2004-2007 Glass Courtyard addition under to the Jewish Museum Berlin – Berlin, Germany
- 2004-2008 The Ascent at Roebling’s Bridge , residential condominium building – Covington , Kentucky , United States
- 2005-2009 MGM Mirage ‘s CityCenter , retail and public space on the Las Vegas Strip – Paradise , Nevada
- 2004-2010 Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Theatre and Commercial Development – Dublin , Ireland
- 2010 Wheel of Conscience monument, MS St. Louis Memorial, Pier 21 – Halifax , Canada
- 2001-2011 Military History Museum – Dresden , Germany
- 2002-2011 Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre at the City University of Hong Kong – Hong Kong
- 2006-2011 Reflections at Keppel Bay , high-rise and low-rise villa apartment blocks – Keppel Bay , Singapore
- 2007-2008 18:36:54 private residence – Connecticut , United States
- 2007-2011 Haeundae I Park Marina , skyscraper complex – Busan , South Korea
- 2007-2013 Złota 44 , apartment tower – Warsaw , Poland
- 2009 Libeskind Villa – prefab smart house – Rheinzink GmbH & Co. KG Global Headquarters, Datteln, Germany
- 2010-2012 Jewish Museum Berlin Academy in the Eric F. Ross Building, Academy – Berlin , Germany
- 2012-2015 Mons International Congress Xperience, Mons , Belgium
- 2014-2015 Life Electric , sculpture – Como , Italy
- 2002-2014 World Trade Center Master Plan – New York City , New York
2013-2014 Ohio Holocaust & Liberators Memorial, Columbus, Ohio
- 2003-2014 World Trade Center Master Plan – New York City , New York 
- 2004-2015 CityLife (Milan) , masterplan – Milan , Italy
- 2005-2013 L Tower and Sony Centre for the Performing Arts Redevelopment – Toronto , Canada
- 2009-2013 Kö-Bogen, Königsallee , Dusseldorf , Germany
- 2010-2014 Vitra Tower – Sao Paulo , Brazil
- 2015-2016 Odgen Centre for Fundamental Physics at Durham University , Durham , United Kingdom  
Proposed or in design
- 2009? Archipelago 21 masterplan – Seoul , South Korea
- 2009? Harmony Tower, Seoul , South Korea
- 2009? Dancing Towers, Seoul , South Korea
- 2008? New York Tower, New York City , United States
- 2017-2023 Tampere Central Arena – Tampere , Finland
- 2018 – Vilnius Great Synagogue restoration, Vilnius , Lithuania 
Libeskind design products
- 2007 Royal Ontario Museum Spirit House Chair, Nienkamper, Toronto , Canada
- 2009 Tea Set, Sawaya & Moroni
- 2009 Denver Door Handle, Olivari
- 2011 eL Masterpiece, ZUMTOBEL Group , Sawaya & Moroni
- 2012 Torq Armchair and Table, Sawaya & Moroni
- 2012 Zohar Street Lamp, ZUMTOBEL Group
- 2012 The Idea By 1 & 2, TRE-Piu
- 2013 The Wing Mirror, Fiam
- 2013 River, Jacuzzi
- 2013 Paragon Lamp, Artemide
- 2013 Nina Door Handle, Olivari
- 2014 Ice Glass Installation, Lasvit
- Gold medal for Architecture at the National Arts Club (2007)
- RIBA International Award for Wohl Centre at Bar-Ilan University (2006)
- RIBA International Award for the Imperial War Museum North (2004)
- RIBA Award for the London Metropolitan University Graduate Center (2004)
- Appointed as the first Cultural Ambassador for Architecture by the US Department of State (2004) 
- Honorary member of the Royal Academy of Arts in London, England (2004)
- Man of the Year Award from the Tel Aviv Museum of Art (2004)
- First architect to win the Hiroshima Art Prize, Awarded to an artist Whose work promotes international understanding and peace (2001) 
- Goethe Medal for cultural contribution to this club by the Goethe Institute (2000)
- Time Magazine Best of 1998 Design Awards for the Felix Nussbaum Haus (1998)
- Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters (1996)
- Venice Biennale First Prize Stone Lion Award for Palmanova Project (1985)
- National Endowment for the Arts Design Arts Grant for Studies in Architecture (1983)
- American Institute of Architects Medal for Highest Scholastic Achievement (1970)
- First recipient of honorary doctorate degree or Doctor of Fine Art (DFA) from the University of Ulster in recognition of his outstanding services to global architecture and design (2009) 
- In 2003, he RECEIVED the Leo Baeck Medal for his humanitarian work promoting tolerance and social justice.
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the New Bulgarian University from 2013 recognition of his influence on the contemporary architectural research and practice
- Daniel Libeskind: Counter Sign (1992) ( ISBN 0-8478-1478-5 )
- Daniel Libeskind Radix-Matrix (1997) ( ISBN 3-7913-1727-X )
- Jewish Museum Berlin (with Helene Binet) (1999) ( ISBN 90-5701-252-9 )
- Daniel Libeskind (2001) ( ISBN 0-7893-0496-1 )
- Breaking Ground (2004) ( ISBN 1-57322-292-5 )
- Counterpoint (2008) ( ISBN 1-58093-206-1 )
- Jump up^ Libeskind, Daniel (2004). Breaking Ground . New York: Riverhead Books . p. 88. ISBN 1-57322-292-5 .
- Jump up^ Studio Daniel Libeskind. “Projects” . Retrieved June 12, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Studio Daniel Libeskind. “Exhibitions” . Retrieved July 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Rochan, Lisa. “Libeskind shows genius for complexity”, “The Globe and Mail”, February 28, 2003
- Jump up^ Royal Ontario Museum. “Hiroshi Sugimoto-Daniel Libeskind: The Conversation” . Retrieved June 12, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Marek, Michael (February 18, 2010). “Architect Libeskind took unusual path to an international career.” dw.de.
- Jump up^ Breaking Ground: An Immigrant’s Journey from Poland to Ground Zero By Daniel Libeskind
- Jump up^ Libeskind, Daniel (2004). Breaking Ground . New York: Riverhead Books . pp. 11, 10, 35. ISBN 1-57322-292-5 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Studio Daniel Libeskind. “Studio Daniel Libeskind Daniel Libeskind” . Retrieved June 12, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Davidson, Justin (October 8, 2007). “The Liberation of Daniel Libeskind.” New York Magazine. pp. 56-64.
- Jump up^ Libeskind, Daniel (2004). Breaking Ground . New York: Riverhead Books . p. 41. ISBN 1-57322-292-5 .
- Jump up^ See, Frequent Flyer. When the Wife is a Lucky Charm, Do not Leave Home Without Her. The New York Times, Tuesday, August 9, 2011, p. B6.
- Jump up^ Jewish Museum Berlin. “Jewish Museum Berlin – Daniel Libeskind” . Retrieved February 25, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Yu Myung-hee (2007). Daniel Libeskind. OPUS 1946 presentation . South Korea: I-Park . p. 34. ISBN 1-57322-292-5 .
- Jump up^ Pearman Hugh (July 27 – August 1, 1998). “Walls holdback the forgetting.” Zeitgeist. pp. 26-27.
- Jump up^ Erbacher Doris and Kubitz, Peter Paul. “You appear to have some thing Against right angles”, “The Guardian”, October 11, 2007
- Jump up^ “Voices on Antisemtisim interview with Daniel Libeskind” . United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. 2007-09-13. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05.
- Jump up^ Drew Broach (January 26, 2010). “Failed condo developer Jim St. Raymond declares bankruptcy” . Retrieved May 22, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fiam Italia” .
- Jump up^ “DesignBoom” . 2013-04-09.
- Jump up^ “Jacuzzi” .
- Jump up^ “TreP-Tre-Piu” .
- Jump up^ “Olivari” . [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Sawaya & Moroni” .
- Jump up^ “Poltrona Frau” .
- Jump up^ “Architzer.com” .
- Jump up^ Odulaja, adedayo (October 2013). “Ola Parts Kuku’s The Saga Continues Opens in Belgium” . Daily Independent . Retrieved 7 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ Davies, Colin. “Fishing From the Pavement – Book Reviews”, “The Architectural Review”, April 1998
- Jump up^ http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5139329
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/arts/design/12libe.html
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://www.architectural-review.com/reviews/reputations/daniel-libeskind/8620025.article
- Jump up^ http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/04/entertainment/et-jewish4
- Jump up^ http://www.bdonline.co.uk/whatever-happened-to-student-housing?/5063213.article
- Jump up^ http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/daily-news/daniel-libeskind-im-not-interested-in-building-gleaming-streets-for-despots/8643134.article
- Jump up^ World Trade Center Site Refined Master Site Plan
- Jump up^ Building work to start on ‘Iconic’ Durham University research center
- Jump up^ Odgen Centre at Durham University
- Jump up^ “Perez Invited to advice on restoration of Vilnius synagogue”,Times of Israel.
- Jump up^ Sinoo, Olaeurope-re.com ArchivedJuly 10, 2011 at theWayback Machine. “What’s the Added Value of Architecture?”, “Europe Real Estate Yearbook” 2008ArchivedJuly 10, 2011 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Hiroshima City. “General Description of the Hiroshima Art Prize” . Archived from the original on September 19, 2008 . Retrieved August 3, 2008 .
- Jump up^ University of Ulster Honours World Leading Architect Daniel LibeskindUniversity of Ulster News Release, November 11, 2009