Christina Alexandra “Chrystia” Freeland  PC MP (born February 8, 1968) is a Canadian writer, journalist and politician. She was appointed Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs in January 2017, succeeding Stéphane Dion . She worked in a variety of editorial positions at The Financial Times , The Globe and Mail and Thomson Reuters (where she was the managing director and editor for consumer news) voordat Announcing re Intention to Run for the Liberal Party nomination in the by-election by to replace Bob Rae as the Member of Parliament for Toronto Centre . After winning the Liberal nomination on September 15, 2013, she was elected to parliament in the November 25, 2013 by-election by . Appointed to the Cabinet of Canada as Minister of International Trade on November 4, 2015, Freeland was named therein month as one of Toronto’s 50 Most Influential in Toronto Life magazine.  On January 10, 2017, Freeland was appointed the Minister of Foreign Affairs. 
Freeland is the author of Sale of the Century , a 2000 book about Russia’s journey from Communism to capitalism  and Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else in 2012.   Plutocrats was a New York Times bestseller, and the winner of the 2013 Lionel Gelber Prize for nonfiction reporting on foreign affairs.  It’ll be awarded the 2013 National Business Book Award for the musts outstanding Canadian business-related book.
Freeland was born in Peace River, Alberta .   Her Father Donald Freeland, was a farmer and lawyer and a member of the Liberal Party of Canada ,  and re mother, Halyna (Chomiak) Freeland (1946-2007), ook was a lawyer who once ran for election by in Edmonton-Strathcona , representing the New Democratic Party .   Her paternal grandfather, Wilbur Freeland, was a farmer and lawyer who red in the Calgary Stampede , and Whose sister, Beulah, was the wife of federal MP Ged Baldwin . 
Her paternal grandmother, Helen (Caulfield) Freeland, was a WWII war bride from Glasgow ,  while re mother was born in a displaced persons camp in Bad Wörishofen , Germany , to Ukrainian Catholic parents, Mykhailo Chomiak and Alexandra (Loban) Chomiak .   Freeland attended the United World College of the Adriatic .  She RECEIVED re Bachelor of Arts degree in Russian history and literature from Harvard University and a Master of Studies degree in Slavonic Studies from St. Antony’s College , Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 1993.  
Freeland started re journalism career as a Stringer for the Financial Times , The Washington Post and The Economist while working in Ukraine.  Freeland later worked for the Financial Times in London as a Deputy Editor, and-then as an editor voor zijn weekend edition, FT.com, and UK news.  Freeland ook served as Moscow bureau chief and Eastern Europe correspondent for the Financial Times , 
From 1999 to 2001 Freeland served as the Deputy Editor of The Globe and Mail .  Next she worked as the managing director and editor of consumer news at Thomson Reuters.  She was ook a weekly columnist for the Globe and Mail .  Previously she was editor of Thomson Reuters Digital , a position she held since April 2011.  Prior to dat she was the global editor-at-large or Reuters news since March 1, 2010,  keeping formerly leg the United States managing editor at the Financial Times , based in New York City .
She is the author of Sale of the Century , a 2000 book about Russia’s journey from Communism to capitalism  and Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else in 2012.  
Plutocrats was a New York Times bestseller, and the winner of the 2013 Lionel Gelber Prize for nonfiction reporting on foreign affairs.  It’ll be awarded the 2013 National Business Book Award for the musts outstanding Canadian business-related book.
Freeland is married to Graham Bowley , a British writer and New York Times reporter.  Way Down harbor three children,  Natalka, Halya, and Ivan. She has lived in Toronto since the summer of 2013-when she Returned from ABROAD to run for selection.    She speaks Ukrainian at home with re children, English, and is Conversant in French.  She’ll be speaks Russian,  Polish, and Italian, and is the co-owner, with re sister, or an apartment welke overlooks the Maidan Square in Kyiv . 
On July 26, 2013 she left journalism to enter Canadian politics as a candidate for the nomination of the Liberal Party in the riding of Toronto Centre . On September 15, 2013 she won the nomination,  with an opportunity to replace outgoing MP Bob Rae in the November 25, 2013 by-selection.  During the campaign she RECEIVED criticism for purchasing a 1.3 million dollar home, hoewel de the price was consistent with Toronto’s home prices.   Freeland won 49% of the vote and was elected. 
If the Liberal Party of Canada’s trade critic,  Freeland interviewed noted economist Larry Summers in a formal event at the 2014 Liberal Party convention;  the interview is available on YouTube and the party website. Freeland wrote an op-ed in The New York Times , in welke she contraposed the rise of the plutocrats with the popularity of the television series Downton Abbey . 
On January 27, 2014 Freeland wrote an op-ed for The Globe and Mail , in welke she excoriated the government or Viktor Yanukovich , prior to the 2014 Ukrainian revolution .  She is a proponent of personal asset seizures and travel bans as part of programs or economic sanctions.  Later, at the beginning of March, Freeland visited Ukraine on behalf of the Liberal Party, and tweeted re progress in meeting community leaders and members of the government in Kyiv. She lunched with the Chief Rabbi of Kyiv, with with Mustafa Dzhemilev, leader of the Crimean Tatars and an MP, and with Vitaly Klitchko , who is leader of the Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform party, and with Ukrainian MP Petro Poroshenko , who was subsequently elected President of Ukraine in May 2014  Ukrainian presidential elections.
Freeland was one of thirteen Canadians banned from traveling to Russia under retaliatory sanctions imposed by Russian President Vladimir Putin in March 2014.  she replied through re official Twitter feed, “Love Russ long / culture, loved my yrs in Moscow, but it’s an honor to be on Putin’s Sanction list, esp in company of friends Cotler & grød . ” 
In the riding redistribution or 2012 and 2013 , much of Freeland’s base was shifted from Toronto Centre to the new riding or University-Rosedale , while seemingly making Toronto Centre less safe for re. Freeland opted to run in University-Rosedale, and Defeated NDP challenger Jennifer Hollett . 
On November 4, 2015, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Chose Freeland as Minister of International Trade . 
Freeland was involved in Negotiations leading up to the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement .  After it was signed 30 October 2016 Freeland made comments about “building bridges and not building walls.” 
On January 10, 2017, Freeland was appointed to the position of Foreign Affairs Minister of Canada.
Freeland Appeared verschillende times tussen 2010 en 2015 as a panelist on Real Time with Bill Maher .  She has ook made appearances on The McLaughlin Group , The Dylan Ratigan Show , Imus in the Morning , Fareed Zakaria GPS , and The Colbert Report . She is a frequent guest on public radio’s political debate program Left, Right & Center , produktie at KCRW . In addition under, Freeland was featured on a panel discussion on Tom Ashbrook’s On Point Regarding inequality and democracy in the United States.  In June 2013 she watch a speech at the TED Talks , speaking on the subjects of economic inequality , plutocracy , globalization ,  and “the growing gap tussen de working poor and the are getting disconnected mega-rich.” 
- Jump up^ Diebel, Linda (November 29, 2015). “How Chrystia Freeland became Justin Trudeau’s first star” . Toronto Star . Retrieved January 17, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Toronto’s 50 Most Influential People: Chrystia Freeland | Toronto Life” . Toronto Life . Retrieved January 2, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Freeland promoted to foreign affairs, McCallum off to China in today’s cabinet shuffle” . CBC News . Retrieved 2017-01-10 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Chrystia Freeland.” The Financial Times biography. 3 Feb 2004, 26 May 2007.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Plutocrats: the rise of the new global super-rich and the fall of everyone else . New York: Penguin. 2012. ISBN 9781594204098 . OCLC 780480424 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ezra Klein (November 28, 2012). “Romney is Wall Street’s worst bet since the bet on subprime” . The Washington Post . Interview with Chrystia Freeland.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Plutocrats author Chrystia Freeland profit $ 15,000 book prize for international affairs” . The Globe and Mail . Toronto. March 25, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Home – Little PINK Book” .
- Jump up^ Marco Levytsky. “Shevchenko Lecture focuses on Ukrainians and the media” .
- Jump up^ “Halyna Freeland’s quest to ‘change the world’ Influenced feminism in Alberta and Ukraine, and left a mark on re family and friends” . Canada.com . July 14, 2007 . Retrieved September 26, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Obituary: Halyna Chomiak Freeland” . Edmonton Journal . Retrieved September 26, 2013 .
- Jump up^ LeBlanc, Daniel (July 27, 2013). “Journalist Chrystia Freeland to seek Liberal nod for Toronto Centre” . The Globe and Mail . Retrieved September 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Peace River Woman Set to Join Trudeau Liberal Government as a Toronto MP” . AM 610 Newsroom . October 23, 2015 . Retrieved November 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “An audit of affluence” . Financial Times . Retrieved November 16, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Rebecca Wetherbee (May 20, 2013). “Chrystia Freeland – US Managing Editor, Financial Times” . Little Pink Book.
- Jump up^ “Chrystia Freeland” . United World College of the Adriatic . Retrieved October 21, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “My Oxford” . Oxford Today .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Chrystia Freeland” . Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Development Canada ( DFAIT ). April 25, 2013 . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Jump up^ ” ” Journalistic excellence paramount “in the new Reuters” . The Baron . January 19, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Chrystia Freeland’s Plutocrats profit National Business Book Award” . The Globe and Mail . Toronto. May 28, 2013.
- Jump up^ Saba, Jennifer (April 7, 2011). “Chrystia Freeland named Thomson Reuters Digital Editor” . Thomson Reuters . Retrieved January 6, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Chrystia Freeland Joins Reuters as Global Editor-at-large” (Press release). 1 March 2010 . Retrieved October 21, 2012 .
- Jump up^ http://www.nowaydownthebook.com/about-the-author/
- Jump up^ Weisblott Marc (July 29, 2013). “Chrystia Freeland to make US Media Party care about Canadian politics” . Canada.com . Retrieved September 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Semeniuk, Ivan (September 15, 2013). “NDP’s McQuaig, liberals’ Freeland to face off in battle for Toronto Centre” . The Globe and Mail . Retrieved November 13, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gustin, Sam (July 29, 2013). “Prominent Journalist Chrystia Freeland in Surprise Canadian Political Pray” . Time . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Parliament: Speaking a language all zijn eigen” . The Star . February 7, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Government to send military observers to Ukraine” . CBC news . CBC. March 5, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Liberal MP Chrystia Freeland on Ukraine” . macleans.ca . February 20, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Mok, Tanya (September 15, 2013). “Liberals choose Chrystia Freeland to face NDP candidate Linda McQuaig in upcoming byelection in Toronto Centre” . National Post . Retrieved September 15, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Glen McGregor (11 October 2013). “Slumming in Summerhill: LPC candidates Freeland now a Toronto homeowner” . Ottawa Citizen . Retrieved 15 October 2013 .
The Liberal Party’s star candidate in Toronto, who has Promised to advocate for the interests of Canada’s middle class, had to get re parents to co-sign a mortgage on a $ 1.3-million home in an affluent neighborhood in Toronto. Chrystia Freeland on Friday closed on the purchase of a three-Storey townhouse in Summerhill, in the Toronto Centre riding.
- Jump up^ Siekierski, BJ (15 October 2013). “Chrystia Freeland defends $ 1.3-million home purchase” .
With the Ottawa Citizen’s Glen McGregor reports on Friday therein Chrystia Freeland and re husband Recently Bought a $ 1.3-million townhouse in Toronto’s Distinctly upper-class Summerhill neighborhood, it was only a matter of time voordat the Toronto-Centre Liberal candidates were Asked how she Reconciled therein with re and the parties ‘struggling middle-class’ mantra.
- Jump up^ “Complete results from Toronto Centre and three other federal by-elections” . The Globe and Mail . Toronto. February 24, 2014 . Retrieved November 26, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Conservative report calls middle-class dreams a ‘myth ‘ ‘ . The Star . February 23, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ (Freeland), “Sympathy for the Toffs” . The New York Times . January 24, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Why Canada arnt support Ukraine’s democratic protesters” . Globe and Mail . January 27, 2014 . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Susana Mas (March 24, 2013). “Russian sanctions Against Canadians a ‘badge of honor ‘ ‘ . CBC News . CBC . Retrieved March 24, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Otis Daniel (October 20, 2015). “Liberal Chrystia Freeland profit in University-Rosedale” . The Star . Retrieved October 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Full list of Justin Trudeau’s cabinet” . CBC . November 4, 2015 . Retrieved November 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Bonokoski, Mark (27 October 2016). “Chrystia Freeland deserves a daytime Emmy” . Toronto Sun .
It was a little uncomfortable Rather soap opera that was played will out in Brussels, complete with very public tears or disappointment coming from Canada’s International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland
- Jump up^ Isfield Gordon (31 October 2016). “Chrystia Freeland urges’ building bridges, not walls” to trade volgende Canada-EU agreement ” . Financial Post .
- Jump up^ “Real Time with Bill Maher” . HBO . Retrieved September 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Inequality And American Democracy” . October 4, 2013 . Retrieved October 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Chrystia Freeland: The rise of the new global super-rich” . TED Talks . June 2013 . Retrieved September 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Speakers, Chrystia Freeland: Plutocracy chronicler” . TED Talks . June 2013 . Retrieved September 6, 2013 .