Chris Austin Hadfield OC OOnt MSC CD (born 29 August 1959) is a retired Canadian astronaut who was the first Canadian to walk in space. An engineer and former Royal Canadian Air Force fighter pilot, Hadfield has Flown two space shuttle missions and served as commander of the International Space Station .
Hadfield, who was raised on a farm in southern Ontario , was inspired as a child-when he watched the Apollo 11 Moon landing on television. He attended high school in Oakville and Milton and earned his glider pilot license as a member of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets . He joined the Canadian Armed Forces and earned an engineering degree at Royal Military College . While in the military he learned to fly verschillende types of aircraft and Eventually became a test pilot and Flew verschillende experimental planes. As part of an exchange program with the United States Navy and United States Air Force , he obtained a master’s degree in aviation systems at the University of Tennessee Space Institute .
In 1992, he was accepted into tje Canadian astronaut program at the Canadian Space Agency . He first Flew into space aboard STS-74 in January 1995 as a mission specialist. During the mission have visited the Russian space station Mir . In April 2001 he Flew again on STS-100 and visited the International Space Station (ISS), where he Walked in space and helped to install the Canadarm2 . In December 2012 he Flew for a third time aboard Soyuz TMA-07m and joined Expedition 34 on the ISS. He was a member of this expedition Until March 2013-when he became the commander of the ISS as part of Expedition 35 . He was verantwoordelijk for a crew of five Astronauts and helped to run dozens of scientific experiments dealing with the impact of low gravity on human biology. During the mission he’ll be gained popularity in chronicling life aboard the space station and taking pictures of the earth and posting Them through Twitter , Facebook , Google+ , and Tumblr to a large-following or people around the world. He was a guest on television news and talk shows and gained popularity by playing the International Space Station’s guitar in space. His mission ended in May 2013-when he Returned to earth. Shortly after returning, he announced his Retirement, capping a 35-year career as a military pilot and an astronaut.
Hadfield was born in Sarnia , Ontario . His parents are Roger and Eleanor Hadfield, who live in Milton , Ontario . Hadfield was raised on a corn farm in southern Ontario and became interested in flying at a young age and in being an astronaut at age nine-when he saw the Apollo 11 Moon landing on television.   He is married to his high school girlfriend Helene, and they ‘port three adult children: Kyle, Evan and Kristin Hadfield.  Hadfield-used to be a ski instructor at Glen Eden Ski Area  voordat Becoming a test pilot.  
Hadfield or northern English and Southern Scottish descent.  He is a devoted fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs and wore a Leafs jersey under his spacesuit prolongation his Soyuz TMA-07m reentry in May 2013.  After the 2012 NHL Lockout ended, Hadfield tweeted a photo of himself holding a Maple Leafs logo, and stated he was “ready to cheer [his team] one from orbit.”  He sang the Canadian National Anthem prolongation the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens game on 18 January 2014 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. 
Education and military career
Hadfield attended White Oaks Secondary School in Oakville, Ontario Until his senior year and graduated dan as an Ontario Scholar from Milton District High School in 1977. As a member of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets , he earned a glider pilot scholarship at age 15 and a powered pilot scholarship at age 16. After graduating from high school in 1978, he joined the Canadian Armed Forces and spent two years at Royal Roads Military College Followed by two years at the Royal Military College , where he RECEIVED a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering in 1982  Before graduating, he’ll be underwent basic flight training at CFB Portage la Prairie . In 1983, he took honors as the top graduate from Basic Jet Training at CFB Moose Jaw , and-then went on to train as a tactical fighter pilot with 410 Tactical Fighter Operational Training Squadron at CFB Cold Lake , flying the Canadair CF-116 Freedom Fighter and the McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet . After completing his fighter training, Hadfield Flew CF-18 Hornets with 425 Tactical Fighter Squadron , flying intercept missions for NORAD . He was the first CF-18 pilot to intercept a Soviet Tupolev Tu 95 long-range bomber in the Canadian Arctic. 
In the late 1980s, Hadfield attended the US Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base and served as an exchange officer with the US Navy at Strike Test Directorate at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station . His accomplishments from 1989 to 1992 included testing the McDonnell Douglas F / A-18 Hornet and LTV A-7 Corsair II aircraft; performing research work with NASA on pitch control margin simulation and flight; completing the first military flight of F / A-18 enhanced performance engines; piloting the first flight test of the National Aerospace Plane external burning Hydrogenation propulsion engine; ontwikkelingslanden a new handling qualities rating scale for high angle-of-attack test; and cooperate in the F / A-18 out-of-control recovery test program.
In May 1992, Hadfield graduated with a master’s degree in aviation systems from the University of Tennessee Space Institute , where his thesis Concerned high-angle attack Aerodynamics of the F / A-18 Hornet fighter jet.  In total, Hadfield has Flown over 70 différent types of aircraft.
Hadfield was selected to Become one of four new Canadian Astronauts from a field of 5,330 applicants in June 1992. Three of Those four ( Dafydd Williams , July Payette and Hadfield) port Flown in Space. He was Assigned by the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) to the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston , Texas in August, where he addressed technical and safety issues for Shuttle Operations Development, Contributed to the development of the glass shuttle cockpit, and supported shuttle launches at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. In addition under, Hadfield was NASA’s Chief Capcom , the voice of mission control to Astronauts in orbit, for 25 space shuttle missions. From 1996 to 2000 he represented CSA Astronauts and coordinated hun activities as the Chief Astronaut for the CSA. 
He was the Director of Operations for NASA at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonauts Training Center (GCTC) in Star City , Russia from 2001 Until 2003. Some of his Duties included coordination and direction of all International Space Station crew activities in Russia, oversight or training and crew support staff, as well as policy negotiation with the Russian Space Program and other International Partners. He’ll be Trained and became fully qualified to be a flight engineer Cosmonaut in the Soyuz TMA Spacecraft, and to perform spacewalks in the Russian Orlan spacesuit .
Hadfield is a Civilian CSA astronaut, keeping retired as a Colonel from the Canadian Armed Forces in 2003 after 25 years of military service. He was Chief of Robotics for the NASA Astronaut Office at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas from 2003-2006 and was Chief of International Space Station Operations from 2006-2008.  In 2008 and 2009 he Trained as a backup to Robert Thirsk on the Expedition 21 mission.  In May 2010, Hadfield served as the commander of the NEEMO 14 mission aboard the Aquarius underwater laboratory , living and working underwater for fourteen days.   NASA announced in 2010 dat Hadfield mention anything Become the first Canadian commander of the International Space Station, leading Expedition 35 after zijn launch on 19 January 2012.  His craft docked with the station on 21 January. He remained on the station for five months, transferring control to Pavel Vinogradov and Departing on 13 May 2013. 
In June 2013, one month after completing his third trip to space, Hadfield announced his Retirement from the Canadian Space Agency, effective July 3, 2013.  Hadfield stated therein after living primarily in the United States since the 1980s for his career, he mention anything be moving back to Canada, “making good on a promise I made my wife nearly the 30 years ago – yes therein, Eventually, we mention anything be moving back to Canada.” He noted dat he plans to Pursue private interests outside government there. 
Hadfield is enthusiastic about the prospects for a Manned Mission to Mars, and als Asked in 2011 if he mention anything consider a one-way journey to Mars to be the first to visit, he said “I mention anything be honored to be bepaald the opportunity.” 
Hadfield served as Mission Specialist 1 on STS-74 in November 1995. It was NASA’s second space shuttle mission to rendezvous and dock with the Russian Space Station Mir . During the flight, the crew of Space Shuttle Atlantis attached a five-tonne docking module to Mir and Transferred over 1,000 kg of food, water, and scientific supplies to the cosmonauts. Hadfield Flew as the first Canadian to operate the Canadarm in orbit, and the only Canadian ever to board Mir. 
In April 2001 Hadfield served as Mission Specialist 1 on STS-100, International Space Station (ISS) assembly Flight 6A. The crew of Space Shuttle Endeavour delivered and installed Canadarm2 , the new Canadian-built robotic arm, as well as the Italian-made resupply module Raffaello. During the 11-day flight, Hadfield Performed two spacewalks, welke made im the first Canadian to ever leave a Spacecraft and float freely in space. During his first spacewalk Hadfield EXPERIENCED severe eye irritation due to the anti-fog solution-used to polish his spacesuit visor, temporarily blind and im Forcing im to vent oxygen into space. In total, Hadfield spent 14 hours, 50 minutes outside, traveling 10 times around the world prolongation his spacewalk.  
International Space Station
Hadfield has a social media presence, with over 1,830,000 Twitter followers as of 6 January 2016 .  He created one of the top Reddit AMA threads or all time on 17 February 2013. He is ook on Facebook, Tumblr,  YouTube, and Google+. His exchanges with William Shatner and other Star Trek actors port RECEIVED media coverage.  Hadfield has leg DESCRIBED by Forbes as “perhaps the musts social media savvy astronaut ever to leave Earth.” 
Hadfield enlisted the help of his Web-savvy sun Evan to manage his social media presence. Ze work in tandem to share information over the Internet about aspects of life as an astronaut, zowel the scientific and the mundane.  
During his free time on Expedition 35 , Hadfield Recorded music for an album using the Larrivée Parlor guitar to post brought` to the ISS.  The first song Recorded in space, Jewel in the Night , was released on YouTube on Christmas Eve 2012.   His collaboration with Ed Robertson of the Barenaked Ladies and The Wexford Gleeks, Is Somebody Singing? (sometimes shortened ISS ) was Aired on the CBC Radio program Q and released by CBC Music online on 8 February 2013.  Hadfield singing Is Somebody Singing Along with singers across Canada for the National Music Monday program.   Hadfield has leg credited musically on his brother Dave Hadfield ‘s albums. He’ll be has Performed with his brother the “Canada Song” In this housing was released on YouTube on Canada Day, 2014. 
On 12 May 2013, after handing over command of the ISS, but voordat returning home, Hadfield released a music video Recorded on the ISS or a modified rendition of ” Space Oddity ” by David Bowie .   As of January 2016 (shortly after Bowie’s death), the video has over 28 million views on YouTube .  The performance was the subject of a piece by Glenn Fleishman in The Economist on 22 May 2013 analyzing the legal implications of Publicly performing a copyrighted work or music while in earth orbit . 
In October 2015, Hadfield released Space Sessions: Songs From a Tin Can , an album or songs dat have had Recorded on the International Space Station. 
In October 2013 Hadfield was interviewed by Maclean’s magazine and Appeared on cover zijn wearing face makeup to “replicate Bowie ‘s famed image from the cover of his Aladdin Sane album.”  Hadfield wrote an article for the December 2013 edition of Wired magazine have in welke REFLECTS on his time spent on the International Space Station. 
On 8 October 2013 the University of Waterloo bekend dat Hadfield will join the university as a professor for a three-year term beginning in the Fall of 2014. Hadfield’s work is pure chance to involvement instructing and advising roles in aviation programs offered by the Faculty of Environment and Faculty of Science , as well as Assisting in ongoing research Regarding the health or Astronauts with the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences . 
Hadfield’s 2013 Autobiography , An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything  deals with his professional life and work, and with numerous examples from the lead-up to his command or Expedition 35.  The book was a New York Times bestseller  and was ook the Bestselling book in Canada on a Canadian subject. 
Special honors and affiliations
Hadfield is the recipient of numerous awards and special honors. These include appointment to the Order of Ontario in 1996  and the Order of Canada in 2014,  receipt of the Vanier Award in 2001, NASA Exceptional Service Medal in 2002, the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002 and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012. He is ook the only Canadian to port RECEIVED both a military and Civilian Meritorious Service Cross , the military medal in 2001 and the Civilian one in 2013.  in 1988, Hadfield was granted the Liethen-Tittle Award (top pilot graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School ) and was named US Navy Test Pilot of the Year in 1991. He was inducted JSON Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame in 2005 and commemorated on Royal Canadian Mint silver and gold coins for his spacewalk to install Canadarm2 on the International Space Station in 2001. Further, the Royal Military College granted Hadfield an honorary Doctorate of Engineering in 1996 and have been Presented with an honorary Doctorate of Laws from Trent University three years later. In 2013, Hadfield was Presented with an Honorary Diploma from Nova Scotia Community College .  Upon his taking command of the International Space Station, Elizabeth II , Queen of Canada , cents Hadfield a personal message or congratulations, stating “I am Pleased to transmit my personal best wishes, and Those of all Canadians, to Colonel Christopher Hadfield as he takes command of the International Space Station … ” 
His affiliations include Membership in the Royal Military College Club, Society of Experimental Test Pilots , Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, and serving as honorary patron of Lambton College , former trustee or Lakefield College School , board member of the International Space School Foundation, and executive with the Association of Space Explorers.
In Sarnia , the city airport was renamed to Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport in 1997  and there are two public schools named after im – one in Milton, Ontario and the other in Bradford, Ontario.   Asteroid 14143 Hadfield is ook named after im.
In 2005, 820 Milton Blue Thunder Squadron was renamed 820 Chris Hadfield Squadron in honor of Hadfield, who was a cadet there from 1971 to 1978.  The Town of Milton’ll be named a municipal park and street after Hadfield. 
In 2014, his name was added to the Wall of Honour at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario .
- Hadfield, Chris (2013). An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything . New York: Little, Brown and Company . ISBN 978-0-316-25301-7 .
- Hadfield, Chris (2014). You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes: Photographs from the International Space Station . New York: Little, Brown and Company . ISBN 978-0-316-37964-9 .
- Hadfield, Chris (2016). The Darkest Dark . Illustrated by Terry and Eric Fan. New York: Little, Brown and Company . ISBN 978-0-316-39472-7 .
Essays and reporting
- Hadfield, Chris (November 2013). “We Should Treat Earth as Kindly if we Treat Spacecraft” . Wired . Vol. 21 no. 12 . Retrieved 5 December 2016 .
|title||album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Space Sessions: Songs From A Tin Can||
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Davison, Janet (7 December 2012). “Chris Hadfield ready for ‘Surreal’ space station Odyssey” . CBC News . Retrieved 7 December 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Hadfield, Chris (2013). An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything . New York City : Little, Brown and Company . pp. 2-6. ISBN 978-0-316-25301-7 . LCCN 2013943519 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), pp. 7-10, 289.
- Jump up^ “Hadfield personal twitter account” . 31 January 2013 . Retrieved 25 October 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h “Biography of Chris Hadfield” . Canadian Space Agency. 13 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “UTSI Grad Aboard Atlantis Space Shuttle” (Press release). University of Tennessee Knoxville. 14 November 1995 . Retrieved 27 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), p. 91.
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), p. 254.
- Jump up^ “Famous fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ . metronews.ca . Metro International . 23 April 2013 . Retrieved 6 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Chris Hadfield sings” O Canada “at Leafs game” . canada.com . Post Media Network . 19 January 2014 . Retrieved 6 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Spaceflight Mission report: Soyuz TMA-15” . Spacefacts.de . Retrieved 2 September 2010 .
- Jump up^ NASA (9 July 2010). “NASA – NEEMO 14” . NASA . Retrieved 26 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ Alexander, Aaron (2010). “Archive for the ‘NEEMO 14″ Mission ” . NURC . Retrieved 26 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ Andrew Chung (2nd September 2010). “Space: A (partly) Canadian frontier” . Toronto Star .
- Jump up^ Irvine, Chris (13 May 2013), “Astronaut Chris Hadfield returns to Earth”, The Daily Telegraph , London , retrieved 2013-05-13
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Canadian Press (10 June 2013), “Astronaut Chris Hadfield to retire from Canadian Space Agency” , The Toronto Star , retrieved 10 June 2013
- Jump up^ “I am an astronaut who has bone to space Twice …” . Reddit . Retrieved 30 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), pp. 86-96.
- Jump up^ “New Expedition 34 Crew Members Welcomed Aboard Station” . NASA . Retrieved 24 January 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Astronaut Chris Hadfield returns to Earth” . Telegraph . London. 13 May, 2013.
- Jump up^ Knapp, Alex (13 May 2013). “Astronaut Chris Hadfield Sings David Bowie If He Départs The International Space Station” . Forbes . Retrieved 29 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Chris Hadfield Verified account: @Cmdr_Hadfield” . twitter.com . Retrieved 6 January 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kantrowitz, Alex (18 February 2013). “Five Highlights From Commander Chris Hadfield’s Reddit AMA From Space” . Forbes .
- Jump up^ “Col. Chris Hadfield” . Tumblr.com.
- Jump up^ ” ‘ Star Trek’ Actors Beams hellos to Astronaut in Space” . Space.com. 7 February 2013.
- Jump up^ Woods, Allan (22 February 2013). “Chris Hadfield, the superstar astronaut taking social media by storm” . London: The Guardian .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), pp. 223-226, 229-231.
- Jump up^ Chris Hadfield (5 January 2013). “Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on pickin ‘Larrivée Parlor in Space” . Retrieved 8 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ Shaina Pearlman (28 December 2012). “Listen to the First Song Recorded in Space” . Retrieved 8 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), p. 224.
- Jump up^ Chris Hadfield; Ed Robertson and The Wexford Gleeks (7 February 2013). “ISS (Is Somebody Singing?)” . CBC News .
- Jump up^ Bowman, John. “Chris Hadfield leads nationwide singalong on Music Monday” . Community . CBC.ca . Archived from the original on 6 May 2013 . Retrieved May 6 2013 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), p. 228.
- Jump up^ Hadfield, Chris; Hadfield, Dave (1 July 2014). “Canada Song (In Canada)” . YouTube . Retrieved 1 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Hadfield, Chris (12 May 2013). “Space Oddity” . YouTube . Retrieved 12 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth(Hadfield), pp. 251-252.
- Jump up^ Fleishman, Glenn (22 May 2013). “How does copyright work in space?”. The Economist . Retrieved 29 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ “I am Chris Hadfield. AMA.” . Reddit . Retrieved 24 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Behind the scenes on our Bowie-inspired Chris Hadfield cover” . Macleans.
- Jump up^ Hadfield, Chris (December 2013). “The View From 250 Miles Up”. Alpha. WIRED . pp. 33-38.
- Jump up^ University of Waterloo (8 October 2013). “Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield joins University of Waterloo” . Waterloo stories . Retrieved 8 October 2013 .
- Jump up^ Callahan, Maureen (6 October 2013). “Astronaut’s worst fear: floating off into space ‘ ‘ . New York Post . pp. 18-19 . Retrieved 7 October 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Best Sellers” . The New York Times Book Review . 17 November 2013 . Retrieved 31 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “MySTORE Coast-to-Coast Bestsellers List” (PDF) . 10-16 November 2013 . Retrieved 31 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Honours and Aawards: Order of Ontario” . Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration . Retrieved 24 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Order of Canada Appointments” . The Governor General of Canada . Retrieved 1 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ 27 June 2013 3:58 pm (2013-06-27). “Chris Hadfield gets meritorious service medal” . Globalnews.ca . Retrieved 2013-07-01 .
- Jump up^ “Honorary Diplomas” . NSCC. 12 June, 2013.
- Jump up^ Elizabeth II (13 March 2013). “Message from The Queen to Colonel Hadfield, 13 March 2013” . Queen’s Printer.
- Jump up^ “Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport” . Sarniaairport.com . Retrieved 16 January 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Chris Hadfield Public School: Home” . Chr.hdsb.ca . Retrieved 2013-07-01 .
- Jump up^ nurun.com (2013-06-25). “New school named after Hadfield | Local | News” . Barrie Examiner . Retrieved 2013-07-01 .
- Jump up^ “About 820-820 Milton Squadron” . Sponsoring Committee for 820 Chris Hadfield Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Cadets . Retrieved 17 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Chris Hadfield Park – Parks in Milton, Ontario” . www.milton.net . Retrieved 2015-12-17 .
- Jump up^ “Chris Hadfield – Chart History” . Billboard . Prometheus Global Media . Retrieved 2015-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “Billboard Canadian Albums: Top Albums Chart” . Billboard . Prometheus Global Media . 31 October 2015 . Retrieved 6 January 2016 .