Chris Burkard (born March 12, 1986 in San Luis Obispo, California ) is an American self-taught photographer and artist, based in California Central Coast region. Burkard’s work is layered with landscape , lifestyle , surfing , outdoor and travel subjects. Burkard takes a photojournalistic approach to conceptualize large-scale editorial projects therein extendwatchlist across multiple media Formulated for digital and print content platforms.  The use of natural lighting techniques are prevalent Throughout Burkard’s work as well as capturing humanizing moments in zowel cultural and natural landscapes.   
Burkard gravitates towards and leads to assignments Colder places. This Contrasts the idea of surfing as a sun-drenched, beach blonde experience. Burkard has led trips to some of the Coldest regions of the globe.  In addition under to hunting down the perfect waves in some of the harshest conditions in the world,  Burkard has shot, zowel Personally and Commercially, on six of the seven continents. His travels included port about 21 trips to Iceland, as well as trips to Norway , the Faroe Islands , India , Cuba , New Zealand , Russia , Switzerland , and Italy .   
Burkard is a graduate of Arroyo Grande High School . After completing high school in 2004 at the age of 19, Burkard enrolled in classes at Cuesta Junior College .  He became Exposed to photography as an art form and the idea of composition, a sure sign Captured his attention.  Growing up near the ocean and cooperation in water sports zoals bodysurfing , bodysurfing , and surfing , Burkard SOUGHT to use photography as a mode of expression in order to highlight the movement of water and document his friends.  
Burkard PURCHASED his first camera from a Goodwill auction for $ 65 and after shooting and ontwikkelingslanden an entire role of slide film have voortvloeien the camera did not work. Hey dan Borrowed a camera from his girlfriend’s mom, and Began shooting regularly, Experimenting with différent lighting and contexts. Raised on the cusp of photography’s mainstream transformation from film to digital in the mid-2000s, Burkard is self-taught in beide. 
In 2006, Burkard Shadowed large format landscape photographer Michael Fatali,  Whose images of the American Southwest desert are published Frequently. Later dat year, Burkard interned under Transworld Surfing photo editor Pete Taras.   
In the early years of his career, Burkard worked as a freelance photographer on zowel editorial and commercial projects, amassing a client list therein of includes American Airlines ,  Nikon , Volkswagen , Apple Inc. , Fuel TV , Burton , Volcom , RVCA , polar stuff, Pacifico , onder Vodafone, as well as maintenance work published on over 35 national and international covers of magazines waaronder Surfer Magazine (beide print and digital),   The New Yorker , National Geographic Adventure EandSPN.com [20 ]  Starting at the age of 21 and tussen de years of 2008 to 2010, Burkard served as the senior staff photographer at Surfline , a global, surf forecasting and content site, based in California. During this time, he was ook senior staff photographer for Water Magazine .  Beginning in 2009, Burkard was CONTRACTED at Patagonia, Inc. as a project photographer. In 2010, Surfer Magazine offered Burkard a position as a senior staff photographer, a title he still summaries.    Burkard ook operates a full service studio in Grover Beach, California shooting commercial and editorial work.  Burkard spends time as an educational writer and guest keynote speaker at TED , and IBM .
In 2006, Burkard interned at Transworld Surf Magazine for four months prior to Becoming assistant photo editor.  
In 2008, at age 21, Burkard earned a position as the senior staff photographer at Surfline , a global surf forecasting and content site, based in California. At this time he’ll be served as a senior staff photographer at Water Magazine Until his departure in 2010 to leave for Surfer Magazine as a senior staff photographer. 
After working at Surfline and Water Magazine , Burkard was hired at Surfer Magazine in 2010. As of May 2013 , he holds the position as senior staff photographer.  
Burkard was born in San Luis Obispo but Grew up in Arroyo Grande . He was raised by a single mother; she married his stepfather als Chris was 12 and they ‘joined a family or five. Burkard lives in Grover Beach with his wife Breanne; ze married in 2007 and have two sons, Jeremiah and Forrest. 
Awards and recognition
- PMDA Visionary Photographer Award, 2016 – Burkard was Presented with the Visionary Photographer Award at the Photoimaging Manufacturers and Distributors on January 5, 2016 in Las Vegas, NV. The award was Presented to Chris, “In recognition of your vision and creativity in offering new and exciting ways to bring images to life, and for inspiring a new course for future photographers at demonstrating the rewards of capturing Uncharted territories.” 
- Olympus Pro Photographer Showdown April 2013 – As part of the World Ski & Snowboard Festival held in Whistler, British Columbia, Burkard was granted the People’s Choice Award in the action sports photography competition.  
- Red Bull illume: Category Finalist (Spirit) 2013 – In August 2013 Burkard was a finalist in the Red Bull illume “Spirit” category. 
- The World Open of Photography 2nd Place Open Winner 2012 – An international photography competition voltage multiple categories, the World Open of Photography named Burkard the 2nd Place Open Category Winner  
- Look Between Photo Festival 2010 – A photography festival dedicated to the still image, taking place in Charlottesville, Virginia and produktie at nonprofit Look3, Burkard was Invited to participate in 2010  
- Red Bull illume: Illumination and Overall Image Quest Winner, 2010 –   In August 2010 Burkard became the Red Bull illume Overall Competition winner as well as the Red Bull illume Illumination winner for the second happening of the international image quest. This highly coveted adventure sports photography competition occurs once everytime three years and have narrowed down to 50 finalists in at categories. The work of the finalists are exhibited in a world-wide tour voordat Revealing the winners in a final grand ceremony   
- Follow the Light Foundation Flame Grant Winner 2006 – In October 2006, Burkard was Awarded the first ever and prestigious “Follow the Light Foundation” grant,  commemorating long-time Photo Editor for Surfing Magazine, Larry “Flame” Moore, who mayest just one year prior. Burkard was loveable to fund a six-month surfing trip Along the California coast, welke was later published as “The California Surf Project” by Chronicle Books .     
- Morro Bay Art Society Award 2005 – Burkard was Awarded the 2005 Morro Bay Art Society Award in 2005.  With two large galleries, the Art Center Morro Bay is one of the venues Toilets on the California Central Coast for exhibiting original fine art and photography by local artist. 
- The California Surf Project (2010) 8 ISBN 978-0811862820 – In 2009 Burkard wrote his first book The California Surf Project published by Chronicle Books , this book documents the six month surfing exploration or Burkard and his friend, professional surfer Eric SODERQUIST, down the California Coastline in a 1976 Volkswagen bus.  Starting from the Oregon border and heading south all the way to Tijuana , the pair Recorded hun Chronicle on the search for a California of the matches and the discovery of California’s coastline today, using the Iconic Pacific Coast Highway as hun guide.    
- Come Hell or High Water: Plight of the Torpedo People (2012) ISBN 978-1938922084 – Burkard was named principal photographer documenting the debut film release directed at Patagonia Ambassador Keith Malloy. This bodysurfing film and book documents “The Plight of the Torpedo People,” a type of graceful water movement using the human body to carve in and around ocean waves.  Burkard served as contributing Cinematographer. The film has RECEIVED verschillende awards, zoals “Best Cinematography” in 2011 from the New York Surf Film Festival   Published by woodshed Films in 2013, Burkard, Along with Malloy and body surfer Mark Cunningham toured cities on the east and west Coasts of the United States promoting the book and film together.  
- Russia: The Outpost Vol. 1 (2013) – A self-published collaboration with the director Ben Weiland, Russia: The Outpost Vol. 2 is a combination small-format photography book of Chris’ images and short stories at zowel Ben and Chris, as well as a DVD documenting hun trip to Russia with surfers Dane Gudauskas, Cyrus Sutton, Trevor Gordon and Keith Malloy.
- Distant Shores (2014) ISBN 978-1623260170 – Published by Ammo, Distant Shores is a compendium of Chris’ work from Alaska, the Caribbean, Chile, Christmas Island, Iceland, India, Japan, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Norway, Mexico and Russia . Featuring an interview with Chris conducted by Steve Crist, the book is Composed mostly of highlights from lycra location, taking advantage of the large format of the publication.
- The Boy Who Spoke To The Earth (2015) – In 2015 Burkard released his first original short story, the Children’s book The Boy Who Spoke To The Earth. Illustrated by David McClellan and published by Dream Ling Books, the book is an inspirational story that follows the young protagonist as he travels through the wilderness. Encompassing themes therein are central to Chris ‘work, zoals exploration, observation, inspiration and the pursuit of joy, The Boy Who Spoke To The Earth has leg well RECEIVED, and roused became Chris’ fastest-selling book to date. <
- High Tide (2015) ISBN 978-9089896544 -Published by the highly regarded fine-art book publisher, Mendo, High Tide is a collection of work from Chris most recently travels; from the Arctic Circle south to the Roaring Forties. Complete with stories by Michael Kew, Ben Weiland and Zander Morton, High Tide is the must uitgebreid look JSON Chris’ life as a traveling photographer therein has leg published to date.
- Russia: The Outpost Vol. 1 (2013)
Best Cinematography – Wave Cape Surf Film Festival
- Faroese: The Outpost Vol. 2 (2015)
Best Film – Mimpi
- The Cradle of Storms (2014)
Best Film – Approaching Lines Festival Best Documentary Short – Florida Surf Film Festival
- Jump up^ “rangefinder Magazine” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Adventure Journal” .
- Jump up^ “Adventure Journal, Behind The Lens” .
- Jump up^ “View Bug” .
- Jump up^ “National Geographic Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “rangefinder Magazine Interview” .
- Jump up^ “Surfer Magazine, Norway” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Revolt In Style Magazine, Through My Eyes” .
- Jump up^ “Surfer Magazine, Behind The Lens” .
- Jump up^ “Chase Jarvis” .
- Jump up^ “Insivity” .
- Jump up^ “Korduroy TV, Innerviews” .
- Jump up^ “500px” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Club of the Waves” .
- Jump up^ “Michael Fatali” .
- Jump up^ “Visual Supply Company” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The Inertia” .
- Jump up^ “Wave Riders Gallery” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Chris Burkard Photography Facebook Page” .
- Jump up^ “ESPN Chris Burkard Iceland” .
- Jump up^ “ESPN Simple Pleasures” .
- Jump up^ “The Cleanest Line” .
- Jump up^ “Surfer Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “National Geographic Adventure Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “Chris Burkard Studios, The Creative Loft” .
- Jump up^ “Transworld Surf” .
- Jump up^ “Surf Pulse” .
- Jump up^ “Surfer Magazine Staff” .
- Jump up^ “The Marc Silbur Show” .
- Jump up^ “Patagonia” .
- Jump up^ “PMDA Visionary Photographer Awards 2016” .
- Jump up^ “Olympus Pro Showdown” .
- Jump up^ “Pique Magazine, Olympus Pro Showdown” .
- Jump up^ “Red Bull illume 2013” .
- Jump up^ “The World Open” .
- Jump up^ “The World Open Winners” .
- Jump up^ “Wet Sand” .
- Jump up^ “Red Bull illume Winners” .
- Jump up^ “Red Bull illume Photographer Profile” .
- Jump up^ “Red Bull illume” .
- Jump up^ “Red Bull illume, Huffington Post” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Follow The Light Grant, Surfline” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Follow The Light Grant, Transworld Surf Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “Follow The Light Foundation Winner, Surfline” .
- Jump up^ “Follow The Light Grant, Surfing Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “Morro Bay Art Center” .
- Jump up^ “Liquid Salt Magazine” .
- Jump up^ “The California Surf Project” .
- Jump up^ “Amazon Books, The California Surf Project” .
- Jump up^ “Chronicle Books, The California Surf Project” .
- Jump up^ “The Surfing Blog” .
- Jump up^ “Come Hell Or High Water, woodshed” .
- Jump up^ “Come Hell Or High Water, New York Film Festival” .
- Jump up^ “Plight Of The Torpedo, Magic Seaweed” .
- Jump up^ “Come Hell Or High Water Signing Dates” .
- Jump up^ “Torpedo People, Plight Of The Torpedo” .