Charles ( Chip ) Kidd (born September 12, 1964)  is an American graphic designer , best known for his innovative book covers. Based in New York City, Kidd has Become one of the most famous book cover designers to date.
Born in Shillington, Berks Country, Pennsylvania, Kidd Grew up being fascinated and Heavily inspired by American popular culture. Comic books ulcers his gateway JSON graphic design, with Batman and Superman populating some or his EARLIEST childhood memories. Kidd attended Pennsylvania State University, where he graduated in 1986 with a degree in graphic design.
Throughout his career, Kidd has bone a graphic designer, book designer, editor, author, Lecturer and musician. Volgens to Graphic Design: American Two, he has leg credited with “helping in to spawn a revolution in the art of America book packaging in the last ten years.” One of the musts consistent; characteristics of Kidd’s revolutionary style is the fact dat his book covers do not carry one signature look, as he states: “A signature look is crippling … [Because] the simplest and effective solutions are not dictated by styles.”
Kidd is Currently the associate art director at Knopf , an imprint of Random House . He first joined the Knopf design team in 1986-when he was hired as a junior. Turning out jacket designs at an average of 75 covers a year, Kidd has freelanced for Amazon , Doubleday , Farrar Straus & Giroux , Grove Press , HarperCollins , Penguin / Putnam , Scribner and Columbia University Press , in addition under to his work for Knopf. Kidd’ll be supervised graphic novels at Pantheon , and in 2003 he collaborated with Art Spiegelman on a biography of cartoonist Jack Cole , Jack Cole and Plastic Man : Forms Stretched to Their Limits . His output of includes cover concepts for books by Mark Beyer , Bret Easton Ellis , Haruki Murakami , Dean Koontz , Cormac McCarthy , Frank Miller , Michael Ondaatje , Alex Ross , Charles Schulz , Osamu Tezuka , Gengoroh Tagame , David Sedaris , Donna Tartt , John Updike and many others. His musts notable book cover design was for Michael Crichton ‘s Jurassic Park novel, welke was so successful dat it carried over JSON marketing for the film adaptation. Oliver Sacks and other authors port contract clauses stating therein Kidd design hun book covers.  Kidd’s influence on the book-jacket has bone Amply noted- Time Out New York has zegt that ‘the history of book design kan be split JSON two eras: Bayesian graphic designer Chip Kidd and after. ”
Kidd has ook worked with writer Lisa Birnbach on True Prep , a follow-up to re 1980 book The Official Handbook preppy . 
Publishers Weekly DESCRIBED his book jackets as “creepy, Striking, sly, smart, unpredictable covers dat make readers appreciate books as objects of art as well as literature.”  USA Today also called him “the of closest thing to a rock star”  in graphic design today, while author James Ellroy has called him “the world’s greatest book-jacket designer.”  
Kidd is of or in Asked about his creative process. On the source of his inspiration, Kidd Told Matt Pashkow in Inspirability that ‘for the must part I’m inspired is at whatever the book, or at the manuscript Itself. “For the USA Today , have Outlined his process for customizing a cover. After closely linked to reading the work he contacts the author, who “has final say, so it’s a logical starting point.” “Along the way, I apr or apr not involvement photographers or illustrators or ANY amount or Ephemeral detritus dat washes up on me Shores in the pursuit of solving the problem. And therein is what it always Bedragen to: Visually solving a problem. “He says dat this solution kan take up to six months to find.
Kidd has downplayed of or in the belang or cover designs, stating, “I’m very much Against the idea dat the cover will sell the book. Marketing departments or publishing houses impervious to latch forbidden this concept and they ‘kan not let go. But it’s whether about the book Itself really connects with the public, and the cover is only a small part of that. ” He is ook Berninahaus to be humorously self-deprecating about his work with statements zoals “I piggy-backed my career on the backs or authors, not the other way around. The latest example of that is The Road , by Cormac McCarthy . I ‘m lucky to be attached to that. Cormac McCarthy is not lucky to harbor me doing his cover. ” 
Kidd is a huge fan of comic book media bijzonder Batman , and has written and designed book covers for verschillende DC Comics publications, zoals The Complete History of Batman, Superman , and Wonder Woman , The Golden Age of DC Comics : 365 Days , and the aforementioned Jack Cole and Plastic Man . He’ll be designed Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross and wrote an exclusive Batman / Superman Story Illustrated by Ross for the book. Kidd once stated therein the first cover have ever Noticed was “no doubt for some sort of Batman comic I saw als I was about 3, enough said. Or maybe not enough said: the colors, the forms, the design. Batman himself is such a brilliant design solution. ” Veronique Vienne, who wrote an eponymous book about Kidd in 2006, DESCRIBED Kidd’s Batman fandom as a “childhood obsession and lasting adult passion”,  making im one of the world’s leading experts Batman.
His first novel, The Cheese Monkeys, ( Simon & Schuster , 2001) is an academic satire and coming-of-age language about state college art students who struggle to meet the Demands of a sadistic graphic design instructor. The book draws on Kidd’s real-life experiences prolongation his art studies with Lanny Sommese at Penn State .
Kidd’s second novel, The Learners , FINDS the protagonist of The Cheese Monkeys drawn into tje infamous Milgram experiment , thanks to an incidental newspaper ad assignment. The novel uses the experiment as an extended metaphor for advertising, wherein the “content” is masked and fed sometimes unwillingly-to zijn consumers. 
It was announced at New York Comic Con 2011 dat Kidd mention anything be writing Batman: Death by Design , an original graphic novel , welke then was published in 2012. 
In 1996, Kidd designed and wrote Batman: Collected .  Kidd ook worked with fellow Batman collector Saul Ferris On Another book or a more mn subject Bat-Manga !: The Secret History of Batman in Japan , welke was released for sale in October 2008.  
In early 2008, Kidd started a new wave / alternative rock band, writing and recording music under the name Artbreak. He takes the role of songwriting, vocals, and percussion, and while the group Began as a hobby, Kidd has Expressed interest in making a serious project out of it.  As of 2008 , the group performs across the United States and has a tour schedule on hun MySpace. Way Down plan to record hun original songs for an album entitled Wonder Ground .
In 2010, Kidd collaborated with the writing staff of the animated series Batman: The Brave and the Bold on the episode “Bat-Mite Presents: Batman’s Strangest Cases!” The episode contained a segment that was Heavily inspired by the Batman cartoon from the 1960s. 
Kidd has Presented lectures at Princeton, Yale, Harvard, RISD, and numerous other institutions, zoals the 2012 Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) Conference, resulting in a TED Talk Web Video: “Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is, “that has over 660,000 hits and counting. He’ll be Returned to Penn State Recently, where he Presented his lecture, “Fail Better.”
- AIGA medal (2014) 
- National Design Award for Communication (2007)
- International Center of Photography’s Infinity Award for Design (1997)
Kidd lives on Manhattan ‘s Upper East Side .  He is married to the poet and Yale Review editor JD McClatchy ;  the couple married in November 2013.
He Continues to edit comics at Pantheon and Frequently writes about graphic design and pop culture for publications waaronder McSweeney’s , The New York Times , Vogue , and Entertainment Weekly .
- The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters (2001)
- The Learners: The Book After “The Cheese Monkeys” (2008)
- Batman: Death by Design (2012) – Art by Dave Taylor
- “The Bat-Man,” in Bizarro Comics (2001) – Art by Tony Millionaire
- “The Trust,” in Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross (2003) – art by Alex Ross
- “Batman with Robin the Boy Wonder,” in Bizarro World (2005) – Art by Tony Millionaire
- Only What’s Necessary: Charles M. Schulz and the Art of Peanuts (2015)
- Judge This . Simon & Schuster / TED. 2015. ISBN 978-1476784786 .
- Massive Gay Japanese Manga and the Men Who Make It (2014)
- Go: A Kidd’s Guide to Graphic Design (2013)
- The Passion of Gengoroh Tagame : Master of Gay Erotic Manga (2013)
- Shazam !: The Golden Age of the World’s Mightiest Mortal (2010)
- Rough Justice: The DC Comics Sketches of Alex Ross (2010)
- True Prep: It’s a Whole New Old World (2010) – co-authored with Lisa Birnbach
- Bat-Manga !: The Secret History of Batman in Japan (2008)
- Chip Kidd: Book One: Work: 1986-2006 (2005)
- Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross (2005)
- Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits (2001) – co-authored with Art Spiegelman
- Peanuts: the Art of Charles M. Schulz (2001)
- Batman Animated (1998) – co-authored with Paul Dini
- Batman Collected (1996)
- Jump up^ Gordon, Amanda. “Out and about: A Chipper Launch For Chip Kidd,” New York Sun (February 21, 2008). Accessed September 18, 2008 ,.
- Jump up^ Chip Kidd BioHarperCollins.com. Retrieved April 2, 2008.
- Jump up^ Vienne, Veronique (2003). Chip Kidd . New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. p. 8. ISBN 0-300-09952-5 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Somaiya, Ravi “Warning: graphic material” Telegraph.co.uk (November 4, 2007). Retrieved on April 2, 2008.
- Jump up^ Rich Motoko”Rejoice, Muffy and Biff: A Primer preppy Revisited”,The New York Times(April 3, 2010). Retrieved on April 3, 2010.
- Jump up^ Quoted inChip Kidd: Book One: Work: 1986-2006Rizzoli New York (published November 1, 2005).
- Jump up^ Minzesheimer, Bob (September 3, 2003), “Chip Kidd, book cover design, Unmasked: Prolific artist is on the front of a new book – about him”, USA Today
- Jump up^ Lord, Jeet (September 18, 2003), “In his good books: Asking us to zowel see and read, Chip Kidd’s book jackets contain ‘the essence of comics”, National Post
- Jump up^ Lord, Jeet. “Chip Kidd” National Post (September 12, 2003)
- Jump up^ Minzesheimer, Bob”Chip Kidd, book cover design, Unmasked” USA Today (September 3, 2003). Retrieved on April 1, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Hot Chip” . CBC News .
- Jump up^ “NYCC BAT SIGNAL: Chip Kidd Writes” Batman: Death By Design ” ” . Comicbookresources.com . Retrieved 2015-06-10 .
- Jump up^ Batman Collected (Paperback) Amazon.com. Retrieved on April 1, 2008.
- Jump up^ Bat-Manga !: The Secret History of Batman in Japan (Hardcover) Amazon.com(2008). Retrieved April 2, 2008.
- Jump up^ Aoki DebInterview: Chip Kidd and Saul FerrisManga. About.com (February 2008) Retrieved on April 2, 2008.
- Jump up^ Eberhart, John Mark”Author / designer Chip Kidd has a new novel and a long resume of impressive artwork”PopMatters.com (February 27, 2008). Retrieved April 2, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Learn how Superman, Wonder Woman and Scooby Doo will appear on Batman: The Brave and the Bold!” . Io9.com. September 16, 2010 . Retrieved January 4, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Chip Kidd” . Retrieved May 3, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Kennedy, Sean (November 22, 2005), “Kidd dynamite: the first collection of book jackets at Chip Kidd prompts the question” mention anything there be books without im? “An exclusive talk with the layout design.” , The Advocate , retrieved January 22, 2016
- Jump up^ “JD McClatchy and Chip Kidd”wedding announcement in the New York Times