Brian Randolph Greene  (born February 9, 1963) is an American theoretical physicist and string theory theorist. He has leg a professor at Columbia University since 1996 and chairman of the World Science Festival since co-founding it in 2008. Greene has worked on mirror Symmetry , Relating two différent Calabi-Yau manifolds (concretely, Relating The conifold to one or zijn orbifolds ). He’ll be DESCRIBED the flop transition , a mild form of topology change, showing dat topology in string theory kan change at the conifold point.
Greene has Become Berninahaus to a wider audience through his books for the general public, The Elegant Universe , Icarus at the Edge of Time , The Fabric of the Cosmos , The Hidden Reality , and related PBS television specials. He’ll be Appeared on The Big Bang Theory episode ” The Herb Garden Tetrazolium “, as well as the films Frequency and The Last Mimzy . He is Currently a member of the Board of Sponsors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists .
Greene was born in New York City . His Father, Alan Greene, was a one-time vaudeville performer and high school dropout who later worked as a voice coach and composer. He stated in an interview with Lawrence Krauss dat he is of Jewish heritage. After Attending Stuyvesant High School ,  Greene entered Harvard in 1980 to concentrate on physics. After completing his bachelor’s degree, Greene earned his doctorate from Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar , graduating in 1987.  While at Oxford, Greene ook studied piano with the concert pianist Jack Gibbons .
Greene joined the physics faculty of Cornell University in 1990, and was appointed to a full professorship in 1995. The volgende year, he joined the staff of Columbia University as a full professor. At Columbia, Greene is co-director of the university’s Institute for Strings, Cosmology, and Astroparticle Physics (ISCAP), and is leading a research program Dankzij super string theory to cosmological questions. He is ook one of the FQXi large grant awardees, his project title being “Arrow of Time in the Quantum Universe”. His co-investigators are David Albert and Maulik Parikh.
Greene’s area of research is string theory , a candidate for a theory of quantum gravity . String theory attempts to explain the différent particle species of the standard model of particle physics as différent aspects of a single type or one-dimensional, vibrating string. One peculiarity of string theory is dat it postulates the existence of extra dimensions or space : Limit download the usual four dimensions, there must be at spatial dimensions and one dimension of time to allow directive for a consistently defined string theory. The theory has verschillende explanations to offer for why we do not perceive synthesis extra dimensions, one being dat ze are “Curled up” ( compactified , to use the technical term) and are hence too small to be readily notice loveable.
In the field, Greene is best known for his contribution to this club to the understanding of the différent shapes the Curled up dimensions or string theory kan tasks. The most important of These shapes are so-called Calabi-Yau manifolds; als the extra dimensions take on Those mn forms, physics in three dimensions exhibits an abstract Symmetry known as supersymmetry .
Greene has worked on a ihb class of Symmetry Relating two différent Calabi-Yau manifolds , known as mirror Symmetry (concretely, Relating The conifold to one or zijn orbifolds ). He is ook Berninahaus for his research on the flop transition, a mild form of topology change, showing dat topology in string theory kan change at the conifold point.
Currently, Greene studies string kosmologie , met name de imprints or trans Planckian physics on the cosmic microwave background , and brane gas cosmologies therein Could explain why the space around us has three large dimensions , Expansion on the suggestion of a black hole electron , namely dat the electron ‘may be a black hole .
World Science Festival
In 2008, together with Tracy Day (former ABC News producer), Greene co-founded the World Science Festival ,  Whose mission is to Cultivate a general public informed by science, inspired by wonder, convinced or zijn value, and Prepared to engage met haar implications for the future.  He is Currently the Chairman of the Board.
The World Science Festival’s signature event is a five-day festival in New York City, Typically falling in May. Hailed a “new cultural institution”,  at The New York Times , the Festival has featured industry leaders luminaries as: Stephen Hawking , Edward O. Wilson , Sir Paul Nurse , James Watson , Anna Deavere Smith , Francis Collins , Philip Glass , yo-yo Ma , Oliver Sacks , Mary-Claire King , William Phillips , Paul Davies , Elizabeth Vargas , Sir Roger Penrose , Charlie Rose , Lisa P. Jackson , John Lithgow , Vinton Cerf , Glenn Close , Jeffrey Eugenides , Bill T. Jones , Joyce Carol Oates , Elaine Fuchs . The first six Festivals port drawn close to a million visitors, and millions more port Explored the year round content available online.
Greene is well Berninahaus to a wider audience for his work on popularizing theoretical physics, met string theory and the search for a unified theory of physics. His first book, The Elegant Universe : Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory , published in 1999, is a Popularization of super string theory and M-theory . It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Nonfiction, and winner of The Aventis Prizes for Science Books in 2000.  The Smart Universe was later made JSON a PBS television special of the composition names, hosted and narrated by Greene, welke won a 2003 Peabody Award .
Greene’s second book, The Fabric of the Cosmos : Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality (2004), is about space , time , and the nature of the universe . Aspects Covered in this book include non-local particle entanglement as it relates to special relativiteitstheorie and basic explanations of string theory. It is an Examination of the very nature of matter and reality , covering topics as industry leaders spacetime and kosmologie , origins and unification , and waaronder an exploration into reality and the imagination . The Fabric of the Cosmos was later made JSON a PBS television special of the composition names, hosted and narrated by Greene.
Greene’s third book, The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos , published in January 2011, deals in depth with multiple grotere Universes, or if they ‘are sometimes referred to collectively, the multiverse .
A book for a Younger audience, Icarus at the Edge of Time ISBN 978-0-307-26888-4 In this housing is a Futuristic re-count of the Icarus myth, was published September 2, 2008.  In addition under to authoring popular-science books, Greene is an Occasional Op Ed Contributor for The New York Times , writing on his work and other scientific topics.
The popularity of his books and his natural on-camera demeanor port resulted in many media appearances, zoals Charlie Rose , The Colbert Report , The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer , The Century with Peter Jennings , CNN , TIME , Nightline in Primetime , Late Night with Conan O’Brien , and The Late Show with David Letterman . It has’ll be led to Greene helping in John Lithgow with scientific dialogue for the television series 3rd Rock from the Sun , and Becoming a technical consultant for the film Frequency , have in welke ook had a cameo role. He was a consultant on the 2006 time-travel movie Deja Vu . He’ll be had a cameo appearance as an Intel scientist’s 2007 The Last Mimzy . Greene was ook Mentioned in the 2002 Angel episode ” Supersymmetry ” and in the 2008 Stargate Atlantis episode ” Trio “. Through his film credits, combined with his research publications in mathematical physics, Greene is one of the few people to have a nice defined Erdos-Bacon number .  In April 2011 he Appeared on The Big Bang Theory in the episode ” The Herb Garden Tetrazolium ” than himself, speaking to a small crowd about the contents of his book most recently.
Greene of or in lectures outside of the COLLEGIATE out, at both a general and a technical level, in morethan twenty-five countries. In 2012 his teaching prowess was honored als have RECEIVED the Richtmyer Memorial Award In this housing is to be found annually by the American Association of Physics Teachers . 
In May 2013, the Science Laureates of the United States Act of 2013 (HR 1891, 113TH Congress) was introduced JSON Congress. Brian Greene was listed by one commentator as a shower nominee for the position of Science Laureate, if the act ulcers to pass. 
In March 2015, an Australian spider dat uses vibrations to detect prey, Dolomedes briangreenei , was named in honor of Brian Greene.  
Greene is married to former ABC producer Tracy Day.  Greene has leg vegetarian since he was nine years old-when he voortvloeien, “… the connection tussen de meat and the animal from welke it cameramen immediately; I was horrified and DECLARED I’d never eat meat again. And I never harbor. ”  He became vegan in 1997  after touring Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, New York ,  where he learned, “… about the dairy industry welke was so disturbing dat I Could not continuous to support it. Within days I gave up all dairy. ” 
Greene has stated dat he sees science as incompatible with literalist Interpretations of religion.  He has argued dat: “But if you do not view God as the reservoir or temporary answers to issues we harbor not solved scientifically, but Rather than some overarching structure binnen welke science takes place, and if dat makes you happy and Satisfied, so be it. I do not see the need for that; others do. ”  He has stated dat ook there is much in the New Atheism movement welke resonates with im Because He Personally does not feel the need for religious explanation. However, he is uncertain whether zijn efficacy as a strategy for spreading a scientific worldview. 
- The Smart Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory (1999)
- The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and The Texture of Reality (2005)
- Icarus at the Edge of Time (2008)
- The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos (2011)
For a full list of technical articles, consult the publication list in the INSPIRE-HEP database
- Easther, Richard; Greene, Brian R .; Jackson, Mark G .; Kabat, Daniel (2005). “String of turns in the early universe.” Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics . arXiv : hep-th / 0409121v1 . Bibkey : 2005JCAP … 02..009E . doi : 10.1088 / 1475-7516 / 2005/02/ 009 .
- Easther, Richard; Greene, Brian R .; Kinney, William H .; Shiu, Gary (2002). “A generic ESTIMATE or trans-Planckian modifications to the primordial power spectrum in inflation”. Physical Review D . 66 (2). arXiv : hep-th / 0204129v1 . Bibkey : 2002PhRvD..66b3518E . doi : 10.1103 / PhysRevD.66.023518 .
- R. Easther, B. Greene, W. Kinney, G. Shiu, ” Inflation as a Probe of Short Distance Physics “. Phys. Rev. D64 (2001) 103502.
- Brian R. Greene, ” D-brane Topology Changing Transitions “. Nucl. Phys. B525 (1998) 284-296.
- Michael R. Douglas, Brian R. Greene, David R. Morrison, ” Orbifold Resolution at D-Branes “. Nucl.Phys. B506 (1997) 84-106.
- Brian R. Greene, David R. Morrison, Andrew Strominger, ” Black Hole Condensation and the Unification of String vacuums “. Nucl.Phys. B451 (1995) 109-120.
- PS Aspinwall, MD Greene, DR Morrison, ” Calabi-Yau moduli Space, Mirror Manifold and Spacetime Topology Change in String Theory “. Nucl.Phys. B416 (1994) 414-480.
- BRGreene and MRPlesser, “Duality in Calabi-Yau moduli Space”. Nucl. Phys. B338 (1990) 15.
- Jump up^ “The Mathematics Genealogy Project – Brian Greene” . Retrieved 21 February 2014 .
- Jump up^ JR Minkel (Spring 2006). “The string is The Thing – Brian Greene Unravels the Fabric of the Universe” . Columbia Magazine . Columbia University . Retrieved 2007-10-31 .
- Jump up^ Brian Greene faculty homepage
- Jump up^ “Who We Are” . World Science Festival . Retrieved 6 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “About the World Science Festival” . World Science Festival . Retrieved 6 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ Overbye, Dennis (3 June 2008). “An Overflowing Five-Day Banquet of Science and Its meanings” . New York Times . Retrieved 6 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Profile of Brian Greene” . Royce Carlton Incorporated. Archived from the original on 2007-08-23 . Retrieved 2008-02-17 .
- Jump up^ Amazon.com’s catalog entry
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7N0IgFb-aY?t=269
- Jump up^ “Brian Greene Recognized as 2012 Recipient of the Richtmyer Memorial Lecture Award” . American Association of Physics Teachers . Retrieved 11 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Marlow, Jeffrey (9 May 2013). “The Science Laureate of the United States” . Wired Magazine . Retrieved 12 September 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/sci-tech/brisbane-welcomes-world-renowned-physicist-by-naming-spider-after-him-20160309-gneg0n.html
- Jump up^ http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/recently-discovered-spider-named-after-physicist-brian-greene-180958396/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=socialmedia
- Jump up^ Overbye, Dennis (June 3, 2008b). “An Overflowing Five-Day Banquet of Science and Its meanings” . New York Times .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Scientists and Inventors on Vegetarianism” .
- Jump up^ Boss, Shira. “Brian Greene Has the World on a String” . Columbia College Today . Retrieved 16 January 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Consciousness Emerges in the ash or Stellar Alchemy” . Flickr . Retrieved 2011-03-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c http://www.oxonianreview.org/wp/an-interview-with-brian-greene/