William Henry ” Bill ” Gates III (born October 28, 1955) is an American business magnates, entrepreneur, investor, author, and Philanthropist.   In 1975, Gates and Paul Allen co-founded Microsoft , which became the world’s Toilets PC software company. During his career at Microsoft, Gates held the positions of chairman, CEO and chief software architect , and was the Toilets individual shareholder Until May 2014.  [a] Gates has authored and co-authored books verschillende.
Since 1987, Gates has leg included in the Forbes list of the world’s wealthiest people  and was the wealthiest from 1995 to 2007, again in 2009, and has leg since 2014.  Between 2009 and 2014, his wealth doubled from US $ 40 billion to morethan US $ 82 billion.  Between 2013 and 2014, his wealth Increased at US $ 15 billion.  Gates Currently the Richest person in the world, with an Estimated net worth or US $ 84.2 billion as of January 2017. 
Gates is one of the best-known entrepreneurs of the personal computer revolution . He has bone criticized for his business tactics , welke port leg Considered anti-competitive , an opinion dat has in some cases bone UPHELD in numerous court rulings.  Later in his career, Gates pursued a number of philanthropic ENDEAVORS, Donating large Bedragen or money to verschillende Charitable organizations and scientific research programs through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation , Agent in 2000.
Gates stepped down as chief executive officer of Microsoft in January 2000. He remained as chairman and created the position of chief software architect for himself.  In June 2006, Gates announced dat he mention anything be Transitioning from full-time work at Microsoft to part-time work, and full-time work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  He gradually Transferred his Duties to Ray Ozzie and Craig Mundie .  He stepped down as chairman of Microsoft in February 2014, taking on a new post as technical adviser to support the newly-then appointed CEO Satya Nadella . 
Gates was born in Seattle, Washington on September 28, 1955. He is the sun or William H. Gates Sr. [b] (born 1925) and Mary Maxwell Gates (1931-1994). His ancestry of includes English , German , Irish , and Scots-Irish .   His Father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way . Gates’ maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president. Gates has one elder sister, Kristi (Kristianne), and one Younger sister, Libby. He was the fourth of his name in his family, but was known as William Gates III or “Trey” Because his Father had the “II” suffix.  Early on in his life, Gates’ parents had a law career in mind for im.  When Gates was young, his family regularly attended a church of the Congregational Christian Churches , a Protestant Reformed denomination.    The family encouraged competition; one visitor Reported that ‘it did not matter Whether it was hearts or Pickleball or swimming to the dock … there was always a reward for victory and there was always a penalty for neglect. ” 
At 13, he enrolled in the Lakeside School , a private preparatory school.  When he was in the eighth grade, the Mothers Club at the school-used Proceeds from Lakeside School’s rummage sale to buy a teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and a block of computer time on a General Electric (GE) computer for the school’s students .  Gates took an interest in programming the GE system in BASIC , and was excused from math classes to Pursue his interest. He wrote his first computer program on this machine: an implementation of tic-tac-toe dat allowed users to play games Against the computer. Gates was fascinated by the machine and how it mention anything always execute software code Perfectly. When he reflected back on dat time, he zegt, “There was just something neat about the machine.”  After the Mothers Club donation was exhausted, he and other students SOUGHT time on systems zoals DEC PDP minicomputers. One of These systems were a PDP-10 reward to Computer Center Corporation (CCC), welke banned four Lakeside students – Gates, Paul Allen , Ric Weiland , and Kent Evans – for the summer after it caught Them Exploiting bugs in the operating system to obtain free computer time.  
At the end of the ban, the four students offered to find bugs in CCC’s software in exchange for computer time. Rather dan use the system via teletype, Gates went to CCC’s offices and studied source code for various programs dat ran on the system, zoals programs in Fortran , Lisp , and machine language . The agreement with CCC continued Until 1970-when the company went out of business. The volgende year, Information Sciences, Inc. hired the four Lakeside students to write a payroll program in COBOL , Providing Them computer time and royalties. After his administrators became aware of his programming abilities, Gates wrote the school’s computer program to schedule students in classes. He modified the code so dat he was placed in classes with “a disproportionate number of interesting guys.”  He later stated that ‘it was hard to tear myself away from a machine at welke I Could so unambiguously demonstration streets success. ”  At age 17, Gates formally a venture with Allen, called founded Traf-O-Data , to make traffic counters based on the Intel 8008 processor.  In early 1973, Bill Gates served as a Congressional page in the US House of Representatives. 
Gates graduated from Lakeside School in 1973, and was a National Merit Scholar .  He scored 1590 out of 1600 on the Scholastic Aptitude Test  and enrolled at Harvard College in the autumn of 1973.  He Chose a pre-law major but took rigorous mathematics and graduate level computer science courses.  While at Harvard, he with fellow student Steve Ballmer . Gates left Harvard after two years while Ballmer mention anything stay and graduate magna cum laude . Years later, Ballmer SUCCEEDED Gates as CEO of Microsoft voordat resigning from the company in 2014. 
In his second year, Gates devised an algorithm for pancake sorting as a solution to one of a series of unsolved problems  Presented in a combinatorics class by Harry Lewis , one of his professors. Gates’ solution held the record as the fastest version for over thirty years;   zijn successor is faster by only one percent.  His solution was later formalized in a published paper in collaboration with Harvard computer scientist Christos Papadimitriou . 
Gates did not have a definite study plan while a student at Harvard  and spent a lot of time using the school’s computers. Gates remained in contact with Paul Allen, and he joined im at Honeywell prolongation the summer of 1974.  The volgende year saw the release of the MITS Altair 8800 based on the Intel 8080 CPU , and Gates and Allen saw this as the opportunity to start hun eigen computer software company.  Gates dropped out of Harvard at this time. He had TALKED this decision over with his parents, who in later supportive or im after seeing how much Gates wanted to start his own company. 
After reading the January 1975 issue of Popular Electronics dat demonstrated the Altair 8800 , Gates contacted Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems (MITS), the creators of the new microcomputer, to inform Them dat he and others in later working on a BASIC interpreter for the platform.  In reality, Gates and Allen did not have an Altair and had not written code for it; they ‘merely wanted to gauge MITS’s interest. MITS president Ed Roberts Agreed to meet Them for a demo, and over the course of a few weeks they ‘developed an Altair emulator dat ran on a minicomputer, and-then the BASIC interpreter. The demonstration, held at MITS’s offices in Albuquerque , was a success and resulted in a deal with MITS to distribute the interpreter as Altair BASIC . Paul Allen was hired JSON MITS,  and Gates took a leave of Absence from Harvard to work with Allen at MITS in Albuquerque in November 1975. Way Down named hun partnership “Micro-Soft” and had hun first office located in the euro in Albuquerque.  Within a year, the hyphen was dropped, and on November 26, 1976, the trade name “Microsoft” was registered with the Office of the Secretary of the State of New Mexico .  Gates never Returned to Harvard to complete his studies.
Microsoft’s Altair BASIC was popular with computer hobbyists, but Gates when sending therein a pre-market copy had Leaked withinto the community and was being widely copied and distributed. In February 1976, Gates wrote an Open Letter to Hobbyists in the MITS newsletter in welke have Asserted therein morethan 90% of the users of Microsoft Altair BASIC had not paid Microsoft for it and by doing so the Altair “hobby market” was in danger or eliminating the incentive for ANY professional developers to produce, distribute, and Maintain high-quality software.  This letter was UnPopular with many computer hobbyists, but Gates persisted in his belief therein software developers arnt be loveable to demand payment. Microsoft became independent of MITS in late 1976, and it continued to developement programming language software for various systems.  The company moved from Albuquerque to zijn new home in Bellevue , Washington on January 1, 1979. 
During Microsoft’s early years, all employees had broad Verantwoordelijkheid for the company’s business. Gates oversaw the business details, but continued to write code as well. In the first five years, Gates Personally reviewed everytime line of code the company shipped, and of or in rewrote parts of it as he saw fit. 
IBM approached Microsoft in July 1980 Regarding zijn upcoming personal computer, the IBM PC .  The computer company first Proposed dat Microsoft write the BASIC interpreter. When IBM’s representatives Mentioned dat ze needed an operating system, Gates referred Them to Digital Research (DRI), makers of the widely-used CP / M operating system.  IBM’s discussions with Digital Research went poorly, and they ‘did not reach a licensing agreement. IBM representative Jack Sams Mentioned the licensing difficulties prolongation a subsequent meeting with Gates and Told im to get an Acceptable operating system. A few weeks later, Gates Proposed using 86-DOS (Qdos), an operating system similar to CP / M therein Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products (SCP) had made for hardware similar to the PC. Microsoft made a deal with SCP to Become the exclusive licensing agent, and later the full owner, or 86-DOS. After adapting the operating system for the PC, Microsoft delivered it to IBM as PC DOS in exchange for a one-time fee or $ 50,000. 
Gates did not offer to transfer the copyright on the operating system, Because He believed therein other hardware vendors mention anything clone IBM’s system.  They did, and the sales of MS-DOS made Microsoft a major player in the industry.  on Despite IBM’s name on the operating system the press had risen indicated with Microsoft as being very Influential on the new computer. PC Magazine Asked if Gates ulcers “the man behind the machine?”,  and InfoWorld quoted an expert as stating “it’s Gates ‘computer’.  Gates oversaw Microsoft’s company restructuring on June 25, 1981, welke re-incorporated the company in Washington state and made Gates the president of Microsoft and its board chairman. 
Microsoft launched zijn first retail version of Microsoft Windows on November 20, 1985, and in August, the company struck a deal with IBM to dévelop a separate operating system called OS / 2 . Hoewel de the two companies successfully developed the first version of the new system, mounting creative differences caused the partnership to deteriorate. 
From Microsoft’s founding in 1975. Until 2006, Gates had primary Verantwoordelijkheid for the company’s product strategy. He aggressively broadened the company’s range of products, and Microsoft Wherever Achieved a dominant position have Vigorously defended it. [ Citation needed ] He gained a reputation for being distant to others; as early as 1981 an industry executive complained in public that ‘Gates Notorious for not being reachable by phone and for not returning phone calls. ”  Another executive recalled dat after he Showed Gates a game and Defeated im 35 or 37 times, als ze with again a month later Gates’ won or tied everytime game. He had studied the game Until he solved it. That is a competitor . ” 
As an executive, Gates with regularly with Microsoft’s senior managers and program managers. First Hand Accounts of these meetings DESCRIBE im as verbally Combative, berating managers for Perceived hole in hun business strategies or proposals that placed the company’s long-term interests at risk.   He interrupted presentations with industry leaders comments “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever overheard!”  and “Why do not you just give up your options and join the Peace Corps ?”  The target of his outburst-then had to défend the proposal in detail Until, hopefully, Gates was’ fully convinced.  When subordinates Appeared to be procrastinating, he was Berninahaus to remark sarcastically, “I’ll do it over the weekend.”   
Gates was an active software developer in Microsoft’s early history, met name on the company’s programming language products, but his role must or zijn history was primarily a management and executive. Gates has not officially leg on a development team since working on the TRS-80 Model 100 ,  but wrote code as late as 1989 dat shipped into the company’s products.  He remained interested in technical details; Jerry Pournelle wrote in 1985 dat als watching Gates Announcing Microsoft Excel , “Something else impressed me. Bill Gates likes the program, not Because it’s going to make im a lot of money (although I’m sure it will do that), but Because it’s a neat hack . ”  On June 15, 2006, Gates announced dat he mention anything about transition out of his day-to-day role over the next two years to dedicate more time to philanthropy. He Divided his responsibilities tussen two successors, Placing Ray Ozzie in charge of day-to-day management and Craig Mundie in charge of long-term product strategy. 
Many Decisions dat led to antitrust litigation over Microsoft’s business practices port had Gates’ approval. In the 1998 United States v. Microsoft case, Gates representation deposition testimony dat verschillende journalists characterized as evasive. He argued with examiner David Boies over the contextual meaning of words zoals, “COMPETE”, “Concerned” and “we”. The judge and other observers in the court room ulcers seen laughing at verschillende points prolongation the deposition.  Business Week Reported:
Early rounds of his deposition show im offering obfuscatory answers and saying ‘I do not recall,’ so many times therein as the presiding judge had to chuckle. Worse, many of the technology chief’s denials and Pleas or ignorance ulcers rechtstreeks refuted by prosecutors with snippets or email dat beide Gates cents and RECEIVED. 
Gates later zegt he had simply Resisted attempts by Boies to mischaracterize his words and actions. As to his demeanor prolongation the deposition, he zegt, “Did I fence with Boies? … I plead guilty. Whatever therein penalty is arnt be levied Against me: rudeness to Boies in the first degree.”  on Despite Gates’ denials, the judge ruled dat Microsoft had committed monopolization and tying , and blocking competition, zowel in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act . 
Appearance in ads
Gates Appeared in a series of ads to promote Microsoft in 2008. The first commercial, co-starring Jerry Seinfeld , is a 90-second talk tussen strangers as Seinfeld walks up on a discount shoe store (Shoe Circus) in a mall and notices Gates buying shoes inside. The salesman is Trying to sell Mr. Gates shoes therein are a size too big. If Gates is buying the shoes, he holds up his discount card, welke uses a slightly altered version of his own mugshot of his arrest in New Mexico in 1977, for a traffic violation.  If they ‘are walking out of the mall, Seinfeld Asks Gates if he has melded his mind to other developers, after getting a “Yes”, he dan Asks if they’ are working on a way to make computers Edible, again getting a “Yes.” Some say dat this is an homage to Seinfeld’s own show about “nothing” ( Seinfeld ).  In a second commercial in the series, Gates and Seinfeld are at the home of an average family Trying to fit in with normal people. 
Since leaving day-to-day operations at Microsoft, Gates has continued his philanthropy and works on other projects.
Volgens to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Gates was the world’s Highest-earning Billionaire in 2013, when his fortune Increased US $ 15.8 billion to US $ 78.5 billion. As of January 2014, must or Gates’ assets are held in Cascade Investment LLC, an entity through welke he owns stakes in numerous businesses, zoals Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, and Corbis Corp.  On February 4, 2014, Gates stepped down as chairman of Microsoft to Become Technology Advisor alongside Satya Nadella .  
In a Substantial interview with Rolling Stone magazine, published in March 27, 2014 issue, Gates Provided his perspective on a range of issues, zoals climate change, his Charitable activities, various tech companies and people involved in them, and the states of America . In response to a question about his greatest fear-when he looks 50 years withinto the future, Gates stated: “… there’ll be some really bad things therein’ll happen in the next 50 or 100 years, but hopefully none of Them on the scale of, say, a million people that u did not Expect to the from a pandemic, or nuclear or Bioterrorism. ” Gates ook indicated with innovation as the “real driver of progress” and pronounced that ‘America’s way better today dan it’s ever leg. ”  Gates’ days are planned for im, similar to the US President ‘s schedule, on a minute-by-minute basis. 
Gates married Melinda French in Hawaii on January 1, 1994; he was 38 and she was 29. Way Down harbor three children: Jennifer Katharine (born 1996), Rory John (born 1999) and Phoebe Adele (born 2002). The family resides in the Gates’ home , an earth-sheltered house in the side of a hill Overlooking Lake Washington in Medina near Seattle in the state of Washington , United States . Volgens to 2007 King County public records, the total assessed value of the property (land and house) is $ 125 million, and the annual property tax is $ 991,000. The 66,000 sq ft (6.100 m 2 ) estate has a 60-foot (18 m) swimming pool with an underwater music system, as well as a 2,500 sq ft (230 m 2 ) gym and a 1,000 sq ft (93 m 2 ) dining room. 
In an interview with Rolling Stone , Gates stated in betrekking to his faith:
The moral systems of religion, I think, are super important. We’ve raised our kids in a religious way; ze’ve gone to the Catholic Church therein Melinda goes to and I participate in. I’ve been very lucky, and Charmain Horn Please note I owe it to try and-reducing the inequity in the world. And that’s child or a religious belief. I mean, it’s at least a moral belief. 
In the co interview, Gates zegt: “I agree with people like Richard Dawkins therein Mankind fact represented the need for creation Myths. Before we really Began to under state disease and the weather and things like that, we SOUGHT false explanations for them. Now science has filled in some of the realm – not all – dat religion-used to fill. But the mystery and the beauty of the world is overwhelmingly amazing, and there’s no scientific explanation or how it cameramen about. to say dat it was generated by random numbers, dat does seem, you know, sort of an uncharitable view [laughs]. I think it makes sense to believe in God, but Exactly what decision in your life you do differently Because of it, I do not know. ” 
Among Gates’ private acquisitions is the Codex Leicester , a collection of Writings by Leonardo da Vinci , welke Gates Bought for $ 30.8 million at an auction in 1994.  Gates is ook known as an avid reader, and the ceiling or his large home library is Engraved with a quotation from The Great Gatsby .  He’ll be enjoys playing bridge, tennis, and golf.  
Gates was number one on the Forbes 400 list from 1993 through to 2007 and number one on Forbes list of The World’s Richest People from 1995 to 2007 and 2009. In 1999, his wealth briefly surpassed $ 101 billion, single cylinder the media to call Gates a “centibillionaire”.  on Despite his wealth and business travel uitgebreide Gates Usually Flew coach Until 1997, als have Bought a private jet.  Since 2000, the nominal value of his Microsoft holdings has declined due to a fall in Microsoft’s stock price after the dot-com bubble burst and the multibillion-dollar donations he has made to his Charitable foundations. In a May 2006 interview, Gates commented dat he wished dat have ulcers not the Richest man in the world Because he disliked the attention it brought`.  In March 2010, Gates was the second wealthiest person behind Carlos Slim , but regained the top position in 2013, volgens to the Bloomberg Billionaires List.   Carlos Slim retook the position again in June 2014   (but-then lost the top position back to Gates).
Gates has verschillende investments outside Microsoft, welke in 2006 paid im a salary or $ 616.667 and $ 350,000 bonus total up $ 966.667.  He founded Corbis , a digital imaging company, in 1989. In 2004, he became a director of Berkshire Hathaway , the investment company headed by long-time friend Warren Buffett .  In 2016 he revealed therein have been color-blind als discus his gaming habits. 
Gates studied the work of Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller , and in 1994 sold some of his Microsoft stock to create the “William H. Gates Foundation.” In 2000, Gates and his wife Combined three family foundations to create the Charitable Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation , welke had appeared by the Funds for NGOs company in 2013 as the world’s wealthiest Charitable Foundation, with assets reportedly valued at more than $ 34.6 billion.   The Foundation Allows benefactors to access information therein shows how zijn money is being spent, unlike other major Charitable organizations zoals the Wellcome Trust .  
The foundation is organized JSON four program areas: Global Development Division, Global Health Division, United States Division, and Global Policy and Advocacy Division. 
Gates has credited the generosity and philanthropy uitgebreide or David Rockefeller as a major influence. Gates and his Father in with Rockefeller verschillende times, en hun charity work is partly modeled on the Rockefeller family ‘s philanthropic focus, whereby they ‘are interested in tackling the global problems therein are IGNORED by Governments and other organizations.  As of 2007, Bill and Melinda Gates ulcers the second-musts generous philanthropists in America, keeping bepaald about $ 28 billion to charity;  the couple plan to donate 95 percent Eventually hun wealth to charity. 
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation supports the use of genetically modified organisms in Agricultural Development. Specifically, the foundation is Supporting the International Rice Research Institute in ontwikkelingslanden Golden Rice , a genetically modified rice variant-used to combat vitamin A deficiency . 
Melinda Gates suggested dat people arnt emulation the philanthropic policymaking of the Salwen family, welke had sold zijn home and bepaald away half or zijn value, as detailed in The Power of Half .  Gates and his wife Invited Joan Salwen to Seattle to speak about what the family had done, and on December 9, 2010, Gates, investor Warren Buffett , and Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg signed a commitment ze called the “Gates- buffet Giving Pledge . ” The pledge is a commitment by all three to donate at least half hun wealth over the course of time to charity.   
Gates has Recently Expressed concern about the Existentiële threats or superintelligence ; in a Reddit “ask me anything”, he stated therein
First the machine will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That arnt be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after dat though the intelligence was strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and do not understand why some people are not Concerned.    
In a March 2015 interview, with Baidu ‘s CEO Robin Li , Gates claimed he mention anything about “highly recommend” Nick Bostrom ‘s recent work, Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies . 
Gates has ook Provided personal donations to educational institutions. In 1999, Gates donated $ 20 million to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for the construction of a computer laboratory named the “William H. Gates Building” that was designed by architect Frank Gehry . While Microsoft had to post bepaald financial support to the institution, this was the first personal donation RECEIVED from Gates. 
The Maxwell Dworkin Laboratory of the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is named after the mothers or bone Gates and Microsoft President Steven A. Ballmer, zowel or Whom ulcers students (Ballmer was a member of the School’s graduating class of 1977 , while Gates left his studies for Microsoft), and donated funds for the laboratory’s construction.  Gates ook donated $ 6 million to the construction of the Gates Computer Science Building, COMPLETED in January 1996, on the campus of Stanford University . The building contains the Computer Science Department (CSD) and the Computer Systems Laboratory (CSL) or Stanford’s Engineering Department. 
On August 15, 2014 Bill Gates posted a video of himself dumping a bucket of ice water on his head, after Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg challenged im to do so, in order to raise awareness for the disease ALS ( amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ). 
Bill Gates and his foundation are taking an interest in solving global sanitation problems since about 2005, for example by Announcing the “reinvent the toilet Challenge” welke has RECEIVED considerable media interest.  To raise awareness for the topic of sanitation and shower solutions, Bill Gates drink water welke was “produktie from human feces” in 2014 – in fact it was produktie from a sewage sludge treatment process called the Omni-processor .   In early 2015, he’ll be Appeared with Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show and challenged im to see if he Could taste the difference tussen this reclaimed water or bottled water. 
Bill and Melinda Gates port zegt dat ze intend to leave hun three children $ 10 million lycra as hun inheritance. With only $ 30 million Kept in the family, they ‘appear to be on a course to giveaway about 99,96 percent hun wealth. 
In 2007, the Los Angeles Times criticized the foundation for Investing zijn assets in companies welke port leg Accused or PROVISION poverty, polluting Heavily, and pharmaceutical companies dat do not sell into tje ontwikkelingslanden world.  In response to press criticism, the foundation announced a review of zijn Investments To assess social responsibility.  It subsequently CANCELED the review and stood at zijn policy or Investing for maximum return, while using voting rights to influence company practices.  The Gates Millennium Scholars program has leg criticized by Ernest W. Lefever voor zijn exclusion or Hispanic students.  The scholarship program Administered by the United Negro College Fund .  In 2014, Bill Gates sparked a protest in Vancouver als have decided to donate 50 million dollars to UNAIDS through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for the purpose of mass circumcision in Zambia and Swaziland .  
In 1987, Gates was listed as a Billionaire in Forbes magazine’s 400 Richest People in America issue, just daysBefore his 32nd birthday. As the world’s youngest self-made Billionaire, he was worth $ 1.25 billion, about $ 900 million morethan he’d leg worth the year voordat, als have’d debuted on the list. 
Time magazine named Gates one of the 100 people who must Influenced the 20th century , as well as one of the 100 Most Influential people of 2004, 2005 and 2006 . Time ook collectively named Gates, his wife Melinda and U2’s lead singer Bono as the 2005 Persons of the Year for hun humanitarian efforts.  In 2006, he was voted eighth in the list of “Heroes of our time”.  Gates was listed in the Sunday Times power list in 1999, named CEO of the year by Chief Executive Officers magazine in 1994, ranked number one in the “Top 50 Cyber Elite” by Time in 1998, ranked number two in the Upside elite 100 in 1999, and was included in The Guardian as one of the “Top 100 Influential people in media” in 2001. 
Volgens to Forbes , Gates was ranked as the fourth musts powerful person in the world in 2012,  up from fifth in 2011. 
In 1994, he was honored as the twentieth Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society . In 1999, Gates RECEIVED New York Institute of Technology ‘s President’s Medal. Gates has RECEIVED honorary doctorates from Nyenrode Business University , Breukelen , The Netherlands, in 2000;  KTH Royal Institute of Technology , Stockholm, Sweden, in 2002;  Waseda University , Tokyo, Japan, in 2005; Tsinghua University , Beijing, China, in April 2007;  Harvard University in June 2007;  Karolinska Institutet , Stockholm, in 2007,  and Cambridge University in June 2009.  He was ook made an honorary trustee of Peking University in 2007. 
Gates was made an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) by Queen Elizabeth II in 2005.  In November 2006, he was Awarded the placard of the Order of the Aztec Eagle , together with his wife Melinda who was Awarded the Insignia of the assembly order, zowel for hun philanthropic work around the world in the areas of health and education, met name in Mexico, and specifiek in the program ” Un país the lectores “.  Gates RECEIVED the 2010 Bower Award for Business Leadership from The Franklin Institute for his achievements at Microsoft and his philanthropic work.  Also in 2010, he was honored with the Silver Buffalo Award by the Boy Scouts of America , haar Highest award for adults, for his service to youth. 
Entomologists named Bill Gates flower fly , Eristalis gatesi in his honor in 1997. 
In 2002, Bill and Melinda Gates RECEIVED the Jefferson Award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged. 
In 2006, Gates RECEIVED the James C. Morgan Global Humanitarian Award from The Tech Awards . 
In 2015, Gates Along with his wife Melinda, RECEIVED the Padma Bhushan , India’s third-Highest Civilian Award for hun social work in the country.  
In 2016, President Barack Obama honored Gates and his wife Melinda with the Presidential Medal of Freedom for hun philanthropic efforts. 
External business ventures and investments
- Cascade Investments LLC, a private investment and holding company, incorporated in United States, is controlled by Bill Gates, and is Headquartered in the city of Kirkland, Washington .
- bgC3 , a new think tank company founded by Bill Gates.
- Corbis , a digital image licensing and rights services company.
- Terra Power , a nuclear reactor design company.
- ResearchGate , a social networking site for scientists. Gates participated in a $ 35 million round of financing Along with other investors. 
Books, movies, social media and radio
To date, Bill Gates has authored two books:
- The Road Ahead , written with Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold and journalist Peter Rinearson , published in November 1995 was It Summarized the implications of the personal computing revolution and DESCRIBED a future profoundly changed by the arrival of a global information superhighway .
- Business @ the Speed of Thought was published in 1999, and discusses how business and technology are integrated, and shows how digital infrastructuren and information networks kan help getting an edge on the competition.
|The Machine That Changed The World; Interview with Bill Gates, 1990 (raw video), 44:03, Open Vault WGBH |
- The Machine That Changed the World (mini series) (1990)
- Triumph of the Nerds (1996)
- Nerds 2.0.1 (1998)
- Waiting for “Superman” (2010) 
- The Virtual Revolution (2010)
- 1999: Pirates of Silicon Valley , a film welke chronicles the rise of Apple and Microsoft from the early 1970s to 1997. Gates was portrayed by Anthony Michael Hall .
- 2002: Nothing So Strange , a mocumentary featuring Gates as the subject of a modern assassination. Gates briefly Appears at the start, played will Steve Sires.
- 2010: The Social Network , a film welke chronicles the development of Facebook. Gates was portrayed by Steve Sires. 
- 2015: Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates: The Competition to Control the Personal Computer, 1974-1999 : Original film from the National Geographic Channel for the American Genius series. 
In 2013, Gates became a LinkedIn Influencer. 
Video and film clips
- 1983: Steve Jobs hosts Bill Gates in the Macintosh dating game at the Macintosh pre-launch event (with Steve Jobs and Mitch Kapor , references the television show, The Dating Game )
- 2007: Steve Jobs and Bill Gates Together at D5 Conference
Gates was the guest on BBC Radio 4 ‘s Desert Island Discs on January 31, 2016, in welke he talks about his relationships with his Father and Steve Jobs , meeting his-then future wife Melinda Ann French , the start of Microsoft and some of his habits (for example reading The Economist “from cover to cover every week”). His choice of things to take on a desert island ulcers, for music: ” Blue Skies ” by Willie Nelson ; book: The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker ; and luxury item: a DVD Collection of Lectures from The Teaching Company . 
- Big History – academic discipline advocated by Bill Gates
- List of Richest Americans in history
- List of wealthiest historical figures
- Jump up^ Gates regularly documents his share ownership through public US Securities and Exchange Commissionform 4filings.  
- Jump up^ While his Father was named William H. Gates II, he is now algemeen known as William H. Gates, Sr. to Avoid confusion with his sun.
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates Profile” . Forbes . Retrieved January 15, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 11.
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates (American computer programmer, executives, and Philanthropist)” . Retrieved March 20, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Sheridan, Patrick (May 2, 2014). “Bill Gates no longer Microsoft’s Biggest shareholder” . CNN Money . Retrieved August 22, 2014 .
- Jump up^ MSFT (Holdings), NASDAQ , retrieved April 10, 2016
- Jump up^ MSFT (Symbol), NASDAQ , retrieved April 10, 2016
- Jump up^ Wahba, Phil (September 17, 2008). “Bill Gates tops US wealth list 15 years Continuously” . Reuters. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved November 6, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “William” Bill “Gates” , Forbes (profile) , retrieved December 1, 2014
- Jump up^ “The World’s Billionaires” . Forbes . Retrieved November 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Iceland” . International Monetary Fund . Retrieved October 1, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates profile” . forbes. 2017 . Retrieved January 15, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Lesinski 2006, p. 96; Manes 1994, p. 459.
- Jump up^ Einstein, David (January 13, 2000). “Gates steps down as Microsoft CEO” . Forbes . Retrieved January 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft Chairman Gates to leave day-to-day role. – Jun. 16, 2006 ‘ . money.cnn.com . Retrieved January 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates | Development of Information and Knowledge Management”. www.tlu.ee . Retrieved January 21, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Bill Gates steps down as chairman, will assist new CEO as technology advisor ‘ ‘ . The Verge . Retrieved February 4, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Ancestry of Bill Gates” . Wargs. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved June 9, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Scottish Americans” . Alba West. Archived from the original on July 18, 2012 . Retrieved April 29, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 15.
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 47.
- Jump up^ Lesinski, Jeanne M (September 1, 2008). Bill Gates: Entrepreneur and Philanthropist . Twenty First Century Books. ISBN 978-1-58013-570-2 . Retrieved March 10, 2011 .
The Gates family regularly went to services at the University Congregational Church.
- Jump up^ Lowe, Janet (January 5, 2001). Bill Gates Speaks: Insight from the World’s Greatest Entrepreneur . Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-40169-8 . Retrieved March 10, 2011 .
The Gates family attended the University Congregational Church, where the Reverend Dale Turner was pastor.
- Jump up^ Berkowitz, Edward D (2006). Something Happened: A Political and Cultural Overview of the Seventies . Columbia University Press . ISBN 978-0-231-12494-2 . Retrieved March 10, 2011 .
Bill Gates was a member of the baby boom, born in 1955 JSON an upper-middle-class family near Seattle. “He attended the Congregational Church, participated in the Boy Scouts, and went to a fancy private school.
- Jump up^ Cringely, Robert X. (June 1996). “Part II” . Triumph of the Nerds: The Rise of Accidental Empires . Season 1. PBS.
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 24.
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 27.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gates 1996 , p. 12.
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 34.
- Jump up^ Paul Allen spills the beans on Gates’ fits criminal , UK, V3
- Jump up^ “Remarks by Bill Gates, co-chair” , Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – Press Room, Speeches , retrieved July 13, 2013
- Jump up^ Gates 1996, p. 14.
- Jump up^ Congressional Page History , The United States House Page Association of America, archived from the original on May 1, 2015
The Page Program has produktie many politicians, Members of Congress, as well as other famous one and women. Some of These include: the Honorable John Dingell, the longest serving Member of Congress, Bill Gates, founder and CEO of the Microsoft Corporation, and Donnald K. Anderson, former Clerk of the House.
- Jump up^ “National Merit Scholarship Corporation – Scholars You May Know” . nationalmerit.org . Retrieved October 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The new-and innovative way? -SAT” . The Week Magazine . Archived from the original on May 10, 2006 . Retrieved May 23, 2006 .
- Jump up^ Gates 1996, p. 15.
- Jump up^ “Timeline: Bill Gates: 1973; from google (bill gates major in Harvard) resulting 3” .
- Jump up^ Michael Hitt; R. Duane Ireland; Robert Hoskisson. Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases: Competitiveness and Globalization . p. 263. ISBN 978-1-111-82587-4 . Retrieved October 25, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Kestenbaum, David (July 4, 2008). “Before Microsoft, Gates Solved A Pancake Problem” . National Public Radio . Archived from the originalon September 16, 2012.
- Jump up^ “UT Dallas Team Bests Young Bill Gates With Improved Answer to So-Called Pancake Problem in Mathematics” . University of Texas at Dallas . September 17, 2008. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012.
- Jump up^ Gates, William; Papadimitriou, Christos (1979). “Bounds for sorting by prefix reversal”. Discrete Mathematics . 27 : 47-57. doi : 10.1016 / 0012-365X (79) 90068-2 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gates 1996 , p. 19.
- Jump up^ Wallace 1993, p. 59.
- Jump up^ Gates 1996, p. 18.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Microsoft Visitor Center Student Information: Key Events in Microsoft History” (DOC) . Microsoft. Archived from the original on February 26, 2008 . Retrieved February 18, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Microsoft history” . The History of Computing Project. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 81.
- Jump up^ Gates, William “Bill” (October 13, 2005). Remarks (Speech). Waterloo, ON . Archived from the original on April 6, 2008 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Bunnell, David (Feb-Mar 1982). “The Man Behind The Machine?” . PC Magazine (interview). p. 16 . Retrieved February 17, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Gordon, John Steele ; Maiello, Michael (December 23, 2002). “Pioneers The Broke” . Forbes . Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gates 1996 , p. 54.
- Jump up^ Manes 1994, p. 193.
- Jump up^ Freiberger, Paul (August 23, 1982). “Bill Gates, Microsoft and the IBM Personal Computer” . InfoWorld . p. 22 . Retrieved January 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Challenges and Strategy” (PDF) . Groklaw . Retrieved November 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Freiberger, Paul (August 31, 1981). “Bugs in Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III: How Bad Are Way Down?” . InfoWorld. p. 49 . Retrieved February 28, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Thorlin, Fred (April 2000). “Fred Thorlin: The Big Boss at Atari Program Exchange” (Interview). Interview with Kevin Savetz. Atari archives . Retrieved January 6, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Rensin, David (1994). “The Bill Gates Interview”. Playboy .
- Jump up^ Ballmer, Steve (October 9, 1997). “Steve Ballmer Speech Transcript – Church Hill Club” . Microsoft. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Isaacson, Walter (January 13, 1997). “The Gates Operating System”. Time . Archived from the original on June 19, 2000 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- Bank, David (February 1, 1999). “Breaking Windows” . The Wall Street Journal . Archived from the original on July 29, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Chapman, Glenn (June 27, 2008). “Bill Gates Signs Off” . Agence France-Presse. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012.[ dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gates, Bill (September 26, 1997). Remarks by Bill Gates (Speech). San Diego. Archived from the original on April 20, 2008 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Herbold, Robert (2004). The Fiefdom Syndrome: The Turf Battles That Underground Mine Careers and Companies – And How to Overcome Them . ISBN 0-385-51067-5 .
- Jump up^ Gates, Bill. “Bill Gates Interview” . Transcript of a video History Interview / Computer History Collection (Interview). Interview with David Allison. National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution . Retrieved April 10, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Pournelle, Jerry (September 1985). “PCs, Peripherals, Programs, and People” . BYTE . p. 347 . Retrieved March 20, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft Announces Plans for July 2008 Transition for Bill Gates” . Microsoft. June 15, 2006. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012.[ dead link ]
- Jump up^ Wasserman Elizabeth (November 17, 1998). “Gates deposition makes judge laugh in court” . CNN . Retrieved April 10, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft’s Teflon Bill” . Business Week . November 30, 1998. Archived from the original on May 24, 2012 . Retrieved March 30, 2008 . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Heilmann, John (November 1, 2000). “The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But The Truth” . Wired (08/11). Archived from the originalon May 29, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Mugshots” . The Smoking Gun. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved June 9, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Adblog” . MSNBC. September 8, 2008 . Retrieved May 23, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Ina Fried (September 11, 2008). “Seinfeld and Gates Hit the Road for Vista” . CNET . Retrieved July 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Matthew G. Miller; Peter Newcomb (January 2, 2014). “Billionaires Worth $ 3.7 Trillion Surge as Gates Profit 2013” . Bloomberg Business Week . Retrieved January 3, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft names Satya Nadella to replace Steve Ballmer” . BBC News. February 4, 2014 . Retrieved February 4, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Jeff Goodell (March 13, 2014). “Bill Gates: The Rolling Stone Interview”. Rolling Stone . Jann S. Wenner . Retrieved March 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Mary Riddell (October 21, 2016). “Bill Gates: He eats Big Macs for lunch and schedules everytime minutes or his day – measuring the man worth $ 80 billion” . The Telegraph . Retrieved October 24, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “coverage of the Gates’ Medina, Washington estate” . Forbes . May 22, 2002. Archived from the original on September 6, 2012 . Retrieved June 9, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Goodell, Jeff (March 27, 2014). “Bill Gates: The Rolling Stone Interview” . Rolling Stone . Retrieved April 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ (Lesinski 2006, p. 74)
- Jump up^ Paterson, Thane (June 13, 2000). ” ” He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close he Could Hardly fail to grasp it “-FSF (Advice for Bill Gates: A Little Culture Would not Hurt)” . Business Week . Archived from the original on May 1, 2008 . Retrieved April 28, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates: President” . Microsoft Corporation. 2008. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012. [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Profile: Bill Gates” . BBC news. January 26, 2004. Archived from the original on July 21, 2012 . Retrieved January 1, 2010 .
- Jump up^ (Fridson 2001, p. 113)
- Jump up^ Zuckerman, Laurence (October 27, 1997). “New Jet Eases Travel Hassles For Bill Gates” . The New York Times . Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved September 2, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Bolger, Joe (May 5, 2006). “I wish I was not the Richest man in the world, says Bill Gates” . The Times . UK. Archived from the original on July 10, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Cuadros, Alex; Harrison, Crayton (May 17, 2013). “Bill Gates Retakes World’s Richest Title From Carlos Slim” . Forbes . Retrieved May 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates regains world’s Richest Man title: Forbes” . The Times of India . March 3, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Forbes Billionaires list” . Archived from the original on May 25, 2012.
- Jump up^ Estevez Dolia (June 7, 2014). “Mexico’s Carlos Slim reclaims World’s Richest Man Title From Bill Gates” . Forbes . Retrieved September 1, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft 2006 Proxy Statement” . Microsoft. October 6, 2007. Archived from the original on May 30, 2012 . Retrieved February 14, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Fried, Ina (January 14, 2004). “Gates joins board of Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway” . CNET . Archived from the original on September 8, 2012 . Retrieved March 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Alex Osborn (February 18, 2016). “This Was Bill Gates’ Favorite XBLA Game” . IGN . Ziff Davis .
- Jump up^ “Gates foundation” . Archived from the original on May 23, 2012.[ dead link ]
- Jump up^ Robin Toal (September 16, 2013). “The Top Ten US Charitable Foundations” . Funds For NGOs . Funds For NGOs, LLC . Retrieved April 6, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Cronin, Jon (January 25, 2005). “Bill Gates: Billionaire Philanthropist” . BBC News. Archived from the original on July 31, 2012 . Retrieved April 1, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Our Approach to Giving” . Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Archived from the original on April 4, 2008 . Retrieved April 1, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “What We Do” . Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation . Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. 2014 . Retrieved April 6, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “2005 Annual Report” (PDF) . Rockefeller Brothers Fund . January 1, 2006. Archived (PDF) from the original on February 16, 2008 . Retrieved February 14, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “The 50 musts generous Americans” . Archived from the original on February 22, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Bill and Melinda Gates give 95% or wealth to charity” . BBC News . October 18, 2010. Archived from the original on July 19, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Agricultural Development Golden Rice” . Retrieved February 3, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Bina Abraham (October 1, 2010). “They half it in them” . Gulf News . Archived from the original on July 8, 2012 . Retrieved March 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Moss, Rosa Beth (January 14, 2010). “Four Strategic Generosity Lessons” . Business Week . Archived from the original on July 24, 2012 . Retrieved March 9, 2011 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “40 Billionaires pledge to give away half of wealth” . Archived from the original on September 7, 2012 . Retrieved August 8, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Robyn Griggs Lawrence (February 22, 2011). “A Rich Gift: Homemade Jelly for Bill and Melinda Gates” . Mother Earth News . Archived from the original on September 16, 2012 . Retrieved March 10, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Forbes” . Forbes . Retrieved February 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Fiscal Times” . The Fiscal Times . Retrieved February 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Holley, Peter (March 24, 2015). “Apple co-founder on artificial intelligence:” The future is scary and very bath for people ‘ ‘ . The Washington Post . Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- “Permalink to an answer from” Hi Reddit, I’m Bill Gates and I’m back for my third AMA. Ask me anything. • / r / IAMA ” ” . reddit . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Baidu CEO Robin Li interviews Bill Gates and Elon Musk at the Boao Forum, March 29, 2015” . YouTube . Retrieved April 8, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Matthew GH Chun (April 14, 1999). “Bill Gates Donates $ 20 million to MIT” . The Harvard Crimson . The Harvard Crimson, Inc . Retrieved April 6, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Our Campus TEACHING, RESEARCH, AND ADMINISTRATIVE spaces” . Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences . President and Fellows of Harvard College. 2014 . Retrieved April 6, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Gates Computer Science Building” . Stanford Engineering . Stanford University. 2014. Archived from the original on April 1, 2014 . Retrieved April 6, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates” . Facebook . Retrieved August 15, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Kass, Jason (November 18, 2013). “Bill Gates Can not Build a toilet” . New York Times Opinion Pages . New York Times . Retrieved March 24, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “BBC news article” Bill Gates drinks water Distilled from human feces ” “. Retrieved January 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “From poop to portable, This Ingenious Machine Turns Feces JSON Drinking Water” . gatesnotes, The Muse or Bill Gates . January 5, 2015 . Retrieved January 13, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates and Jimmy Drinking Water Poop” . Youtube Channel or The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. January 22, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Briefly noted | Excellence in Philanthropy | The Philanthropy Roundtable” . www.philanthropyroundtable.org . Retrieved March 10, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Dark butt on good works or Gates Foundation” . Los Angeles Times . January 7, 2007. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012.,Los Angeles Times, January 7, 2006.
- Jump up^ Heim, Kristi (January 10, 2007). “Gates Foundation to review investments” . The Seattle Times . Archived from the original on July 16, 2012. [ dead link ] , The Seattle Times, January 10, 2007.
- Jump up^ Gates Foundation to Maintain zijn investment plan [ dead link ] ,The Austin Statesman, January 14, 2007. [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Lefever, Ernest W. (November 1, 1999). ” Bill Gates ‘Diversity’ Subverts Merit ” . Los Angeles Times . Archived from the original on July 10, 2012.“Los Angeles Times, November 1, 1999
- Jump up^ “ ” The Gates Millennium Scholars program ” . Archived from the original on August 3, 2012. [ dead link ] “
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates faces circumcision protest” . Vancouver 24 hrs . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Andy Coghlan. “Bill Gates helps fund mass circumcision programs” . New Scientist . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Thibault, Marie (January 19, 2010). “The Next Bill Gates” . Forbes . Archived from the original on July 31, 2012 . Retrieved December 20, 2010 .
- Jump up^ (Lesinski 2006, p. 102)
- Jump up^ Cowley, Jason (June 22, 2006). “Heroes of our time – the top 50” . New Statesman . UK. Archived from the original on December 31, 2007 . Retrieved February 17, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Gates’ second only to Blair ‘ ‘ . BBC News. September 26, 1999. Archived from the original on July 11, 2012 . Retrieved March 30, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “The World’s Most Powerful People” . Forbes . January 5, 2012.Archived from the original on December 30, 2012 . Retrieved June 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “The World’s Most Powerful People” . Forbes . November 2, 2011. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011 . Retrieved June 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates Speaks or Opportunities and Challenges Facing” Generation I” ” . News Center . Microsoft . Retrieved October 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ ” Honorary Doctorate University Nyenrode for Wim Kok ” (Press release) (in Dutch). Nyenrode Business University. August 13, 2003. Archived fromthe original on February 18, 2008 . Retrieved February 18, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Honorary doctorate at KTH” . About KTH . Stockholm: KTH Royal Institute of Technology . Retrieved January 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates Awarded Honorary Doctorate of Tsinghua” . Tsinghua University. April 19, 2007. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012 . Retrieved June 9, 2010 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Hughes, Gina (June 8, 2007). “Bill Gates Gets Degree After 30 Years” . Yahoo !. Archived from the original on July 17, 2012 . Retrieved February 18, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Karolinska Institutet Medicine hedersdoktorer 1910-2013” (PDF) . Karolinska Institutet – Honorary Doctors at Karolinska Institutet (in Swedish). Karolinska Institutet. May 22, 2013 . Retrieved January 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ University of Cambridge (June 12, 2009). “The Chancellor of Cambridge to confer Honorary Degrees” . University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on July 17, 2012 . Retrieved August 20, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Blakely, Rhys (July 18, 2007). “Gates how piracy worked for me in China” . The Times . London. Archived from the original on July 7, 2012 . Retrieved April 26, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Knight Hood for Microsoft’s Gates” . BBC News. March 2, 2005. Archived from the original on July 11, 2012 . Retrieved February 18, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Proclamation of the Award” . Diario Oficial de la Federación . Archived from the original on July 7, 2012 . Retrieved March 30, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Bower Award for Business Leadership” . The Franklin Institute. 2010 . Retrieved June 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “2010 Silver Buffalo Recipients”. Scouting : 39 September October 2010.
- Jump up^ Thompson, F. Christian (August 19, 1999). “Bill Gates” Flower Fly Eristalis gatesi Thompson ” . The Diptera Site. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012 . Retrieved February 18, 2008 .
- Jump up^ National Winners | public service awards. Jefferson Awards.org. Retrieved on September 4, 2013.
- Jump up^ “The 2006 James C. Morgan Global Humanitarian Award” . The Tech Museum of Innovation . Retrieved April 2, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Padma Awards – Press Information Board of India” . Ministry of Home Affairs, India. Archived from the original on January 26, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Padma Awards 2015 announced: Advani, Amitabh onder 104 awardees” . Zee News .
- Jump up^ “President Obama Names Recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom” . whitehouse.gov . The White House . November 16, 2016 . Retrieved November 16, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Levy, Jared Ari (June 4, 2013). “Bill Gates Joins $ 35 Million Funding in Startup ResearchGate” . Bloomberg . Retrieved January 28, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Machine That Changed The World, The; Interview with Bill Gates, 1990 (raw video)” . WGBH Open Vault . 1990 . Retrieved September 19, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Gates Goes to Sundance, Offers an Education” . ABC News. January 23, 2010. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012.
- Jump up^ ” ‘ Bogus Bill” has a blast playing Billionaire in’ The Social Network ‘ ‘ . KVAL 13 . Archived from the original on July 30, 2015 . Retrieved October 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “American Genius” . American Genius . Retrieved September 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Wills, Amanda. “Bill Gates Joins LinkedIn”,Mashable, New York, June 13, 2013. Retrieved on July 30, 2013.
- Jump up^ “BBC Radio 4 – Desert Island Discs, Bill Gates” . BBC . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .