William Jefferson ” Bill ” Clinton (born William Jefferson Blythe III , August 19, 1946) is an American politician who served as the 42nd President of the United States from 1993 to 2001. Clinton was the 40th Governor of Arkansas from 1979 to 1981 and 42nd Governor from 1983 to 1992, and California Attorney General from 1977 to 1979. a member of the Democratic Party , ideologically Clinton was a New Democrat , and many of his policies reflected a centrist ” Third Way ” political philosophy.
Clinton was born and raised in Arkansas and is an alumnus of Georgetown University , where he was a member of Kappa Kappa Psi and the Phi Beta Kappa Society and earned a Rhodes Scholarship to attend the University of Oxford . Clinton is married to Hillary Clinton , who served as United States Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013, who was a Senator from New York from 2001 to 2009, and who was the Democratic nominee for President of the United States in 2016 . Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham zowel earned degrees from Yale Law School , where they ‘with and Began dating. As Governor of Arkansas , Clinton overhauled the state’s education system, and served as chairman of the National Governors Association .
Clinton was elected president in 1992 , defeating Incumbent’s George HW Bush . At age 46, Clinton was the third-youngest president (behind Teddy Roosevelt (42) and JFK (43)), and the first from the Baby Boomer generation. Clinton presided over the longest period of peacetime economic expansion in American history, and signed JSON law the North American Free Trade Agreement . After failing to pass national health care reform , the Democratic House was ousted als the Republican Party won control of the Congress in 1994, for the first time in 40 years. Two years later, in 1996 , Clinton became the first Democrat since Franklin D. Roosevelt to be elected to a second term. Clinton passed welfare reform and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program , Providing health coverage for millions of children.
In 1998, Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives for perjury voordat a grand jury and obstruction of justice prolongation a Lawsuit Against im, zowel related to a scandal Involving White House (and later Department of Defense ) employee Monica Lewinsky . Clinton was acquitted by the US Senate in 1999 and served his full term of office. The Congressional Budget Office Reported a budget surplus tussen de years 1998 and 2000, the last three years of Clinton’s Presidency. In foreign policy, Clinton ordered US military intervention in the Bosnia and Kosovo wars, signed the Iraq Liberation Act in Opposition to Saddam Hussein , and participated in the 2000 Camp David Summit to advance the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
Clinton left office with the Highest end-of-office approval rating or Any US president since World War II . Since dan, Clinton has bone involved in public speaking and humanitarian work. Clinton created the William J. Clinton Foundation to address international Causes, zoals the prevention or AIDS and global warming . In 2004, Clinton published his Autobiography My Life . Clinton has remained active in politics to campaigning for Democratic Candidates, zoals his wife’s campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 and 2016 , and Barack Obama ‘s presidential campaigns in 2008 and 2012 .
In 2009, Clinton was named the United Nations Special Envoy to Haiti , and after the 2010 Haiti earthquake , Clinton teamed with George W. Bush to form the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund . Since leaving office, Clinton has bone rated highly in public opinion polls or US Presidents .
Early life and career
Clinton was born on August 19, 1946 at Julia Chester Hospital in Hope, Arkansas ; he was named William Jefferson Blythe III.   He was the sun or William Jefferson Blythe Jr. (1910-1946), a traveling salesman who had mayest in an automobile accident three months voordat his birth, and Virginia Dell Cassidy (1923-1994).  His parents had leg married on September 4, 1943, but this later proved to be bigamous as Blythe was still married to a previous wife.  Soon after hun sun was born, his mother traveled to New Orleans to study nursing, leaving re sun in Hope with re parents Eldridge and Edith Cassidy, who owned and ran a small grocery store.  At a time-when the Southern United States were segregated racially , Clinton’s grandparents sold goods on credit to people or all races.  In 1950, Bill’s mother Returned from nursing school and married Roger Clinton Sr. , Who owned an automobile dealership in Hot Springs, Arkansas , with his brother and Earl T. Ricks .  The family moved to Hot Springs in 1950.
Hoewel de have redacteuren Assumed use of his stepfather’s surname, it was not Until Clinton turned fifteen  dat have formally eerste the surname Clinton as a gesture toward his stepfather.  Clinton says he remembers his stepfather as a gambler and an alcoholic who regularly abused his mother and half-brother, Roger Clinton Jr. , To the point where he intervened multiple times with the threat of violence to protect them.  
In Hot Springs, Clinton attended St. John’s Catholic Elementary School, Ramble Elementary School, and Hot Springs High School -where he was an active student leader, avid reader, and musician.  Clinton was in the chorus and played will the tenor saxophone , winning first chair in the state band’s saxophone section. He briefly Considered dedicating his life to music, but as he noted in his Autobiography My Life :
Clinton’s interest in law ook Began in Hot Springs High, als in his Latin class he took up the challenge to argue the defense of the ancient Roman senator Catiline in a mock trial.  After a vigorous defense dat made use of his “budding Rhetorical and political skills,” he told the Latin teacher Elizabeth Buck dat it “made im Realize therein Someday he mention anything about study law.” 
Clinton has named two Influential moments in his life therein Contributed to his decision to become a public figure, zowel occurring in 1963. One was his visit as a Boys Nation senator to the White House to meet President John F. Kennedy .   The other was watching Martin Luther King, Jr. ‘s 1963 I Have a Dream speech on TV, welke impressed im enough dat he later memorized it. 
College and law school years
With the aid or scholarships, Clinton attended the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University in Washington, DC, Receiving a Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BS) degree in 1968.
In 1964 and 1965, Clinton won elections for class president .  From 1964 to 1967 he was an intern and-then a clerk in the office of Arkansas Senator J. William Fulbright .  While in college, he became a brother or co-ed service Fraternity Alpha Phi Omega  and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa . Clinton was ook a member of the Order of DEMOLAY ,  a youth group affiliated with Freemasonry, but he never became a Freemason . He is a member of Kappa Kappa Psi honorary band Fraternity. 
Upon graduation, Clinton won a Rhodes Scholarship to University College, Oxford , where he initially read for a B.Phil. in Philosophy, Politics and Economics but Transferred to a B.Litt. in Politics and, ultimately, a B.Phil. in Politics.  However, Because Clinton did not Expect a second year Because of the draft, had switched programs and, as was common onder andere Rhodes Scholars from his cohort had RECEIVED an offer to study at Yale Law School , Yale University , he left early to return to the United States and did not geselecteerd a degree from Oxford.   
During his time at Oxford, Clinton befriended fellow American Rhodes Scholar Frank Aller Whose suicide in 1971-following a draft letter to the Vietnam War had an impact on Influential Clinton.   Notably, British writer and feminist Sara Maitland zegt or Clinton, “I remember Bill and Frank Most taking me to a pub in Walton Street in the summer term of 1969 and talking to me about the Vietnam war. I Knew nothing about it, and als Frank Began to DESCRIBE the napalming or Civilians I Began to cry. Bill zegt dat feeling bath was not good enough. That was the first time I Encountered the idea dat liberal Sensitivities ulcers not enough and you had to do something about zoals things “.  He’ll be developed an interest in rugby union , welke have played will at Oxford. 
Later, in 1994, as President of the United States, Clinton mention anything be honored with an honorary degree and a fellowship at the University of Oxford, specifiek, for being “a Doughty and Tireless champion of the cause of world peace”, maintaining “a powerful collaborator in his wife, “and for recovery” general applause for his achievement of Resolving the gridlock welke prevented an Agreed budget “.  
Vietnam War Opposition and draft controversy
While at Oxford, Clinton ook participated in Vietnam War protests and organized an October 1969 Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam event. 
Clinton RECEIVED Vietnam War draft deferments prolongation in 1968 and 1969 while he was in England.  Planning to attend law school in the US, and aware dat he Might lose his draft deferment, have With You unsuccessfully to obtain positions in the National Guard or Air Force , and-then made arrangements to join the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC ) program at the University of Arkansas . 
He subsequently decided not to join the ROTC, saying in a letter to the officer have in charge of the program had Planned to join therein have Opposed the war, but did not think it was honorable to use ROTC, National Guard, or Reserve service to Avoid serving in Vietnam. He remit stated therein Because He Opposed the war, he mention anything not volunteer to serve in uniform, but mention anything subject himself to the draft, and mention anything serve if selected only as a way “to Maintain my political Viability binnen the system.”  Clinton registered for the draft and RECEIVED a high number (311), meaning dat Those Whose Birthdays had leg drawn as numbers 1 to 310 mention anything about port to be drafted voordat im, making it Unlikely dat he mention anything be drafted. (In fact, the Highest number drafted was 195.) 
Colonel Eugene Holmes, the Army officer who had bone involved with Clinton’s ROTC application, Suspected therein Clinton Attempted to manipulate the situation to Avoid the draft and Avoid serving in uniform. He Issued a notarized statement prolongation the 1992 presidential campaign:
During the 1992 campaign, it was revealed therein Clinton’s uncle had Attempted to secure im a position in the Navy Reserve , welke mention anything about port Kept im from going to Vietnam. This effort was unsuccessful and Clinton zegt in 1992 dat he had bone unaware of it Until dan.  hoewel de Legal, Clinton’s actions with respect to the draft and dan penerjemah freelance Deciding Whether to serve in the military in later criticized by conservatives and some Vietnam Veterans prolongation his first presidential campaign, some or Whom Charged dat he had-used Fulbright’s influence to Avoid military service.   Clinton’s 1992 campaign manager, James Carville , successfully argued dat Clinton’s letter welke have declined to join the ROTC arnt be made public, insisting dat Voters, many of Whom had ook Opposed the Vietnam War, mention anything under state and appreciate his position. 
After Oxford, Clinton attended Yale Law School and earned a Juris Doctor (JD) degree in 1973.   In the Yale Law Library , in 1971, he with fellow law student Hillary Rodham , who was a year ahead or im .   Way Down Began dating and soon ulcers inseparable. After only about a month, Clinton postponed his plans to be a coordinator for the George McGovern campaign for the 1972 United States presidential election by in order to move in with re in California.  Way Down married on October 11, 1975, en hun only child, Chelsea , was born on February 27, 1980. 
Clinton did Eventually move to Texas with Rodham to take a job leading George McGovern ‘s effort there in 1972. He spent considerable time in Dallas , at the campaign’s local headquarters on Lemmon Avenue, where he had an office. Clinton worked with future two-term mayor of Dallas Ron Kirk ,  future governor of Texas Ann Richards ,  and dan unknown television director (and future filmmaker) Steven Spielberg . 
Early political career
Governor of Arkansas (1979-1981, 1983-1992)
After graduating from Yale Law School, Clinton Returned to California and became a law professor at the University of Arkansas . In 1974, he ran for the House of Representatives . Running in a conservative district Against Incumbent’s Republican John Paul Hammerschmidt , Clinton’s campaign was bolstered by the anti-Republican and anti-Incumbent’s mood resulting from the Watergate scandal . Hammerschmidt, who had RECEIVED 77 percent of the vote in 1972, Defeated Clinton with only a 52 percent to 48 percent margin. In 1976, Clinton ran for California Attorney General . With only minor Opposition in the primary and no Opposition at all in the general election by,  Clinton was elected. 
Clinton was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1978, keeping the Defeated Republican candidate Lynn Lowe , a farmer from Texarkana . He became the youngest governor in the country at 32. Due to his youthful appearance, Clinton was of or in called the “Boy Governor”.    He worked on educational reform and Arkansas’s roads, with wife Hillary leading a successful committee on urban health care reform. However, his term included an UnPopular motor vehicle tax and citizens’ anger over the escape of Cuban refugees (from the Mariel boatlift ) Detained in Fort Chaffee in 1980. Monroe Schwarzlose or Kingsland in Cleveland County , polled 31 percent of the vote against Clinton the Democratic gubernatorial primary or 1980. Some suggested Schwarzlose’s unexpected voter turnout foreshadowed Clinton’s would defeat in the general election by dat year by Republican challenger Frank D. White . As Clinton once joked, he was the youngest ex-governor in the nation’s history. 
Clinton joined friend Bruce Lindsey ‘s Little Rock law firm or Wright, Lindsey and Jennings.  In 1982, he was again elected governor and Kept the office for at years; beginning with the 1986 election by Arkansas had changed zijn gubernatorial term of office from two to four years. During his term, he helped transform California’s economy and innovative way the state’s educational system.  For senior Citizens , have removed the sales tax from medications and Increased the home property tax exemption.  He became a leading figure onder the New Democrats , a group of Democrats who advocated welfare reform, smaller government, and other policies not supported by liberals. Formally organized as the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), the New Democrats argued dat in light of President Ronald Reagan ‘s Landslide victory in 1984 , the Democratic Party needed to adopt a more centrist political stance in order to Succeed at the national level.   Clinton delivered the Democratic response to President Reagan’s 1985 State of the Union Address and served as Chair of the National Governors Association from 1986 to 1987, Bringing im to an audience beyond Arkansas. 
In the early 1980s, Clinton made reform of the Arkansas education system a top priority. Chaired by Clinton’s wife Hillary Rodham Clinton , turned an attorney and chair of the Legal Services Corporation , the Arkansas Education Standards Committee Transformed Arkansas’s education system. Proposed reforms included more spending for schools (supported by a sales tax increase is) better opportunities for GIFTED children, vocational education, hogere teachers’ salaries, more course variation, and compulsory teacher competency exams. The reforms passed in September 1983 after Clinton called a special Legislative session -The longest in Arkansas history.  Many harbor Considered this the greatest achievement of the Clinton governorship.   He Defeated four Republican Candidates for governor: Lowe (1978), White (1982 and 1986), Jonesboro businessmen Woody Freeman (1984) and Sheffield Nelson of Little Rock (1990). 
The Clintons’ personal and business affairs in the 1980s included transactions therein became the basis of the Whitewater controversy investigation dat later dogged his presidential administration.  After uitgebreide investigation on verschillende years, no indictments ulcers made Against the Clintons related to the years in Arkansas.  
Volgens to some sources, Clinton was in his early years a death penalty opponent who switched positions.   During Clinton’s term, Arkansas Performed zijn first executions since 1964 (the death penalty had bone re-enacted on March 23, 1973).  As Governor, he oversaw four executions, one with electric chair and three by lethal injection . Later, as president, Clinton was the first president to pardon a death-row inmate since the federal death penalty was reintroduced in 1988. 
1988 Democratic presidential primaries
In 1987, there was media speculation Clinton mention anything enter the race after then- New York Governor Mario Cuomo declined to run and Democratic front-runner Gary Hart withdrew owing to Revelations or Single Mother infidelity. Clinton decided to Remain as Arkansas governor (volgende Consideration for the potential Candidacy or Hillary Rodham Clinton for governor, initially favored-but ultimately vetoed-by the First Lady).  For the nomination, Clinton endorsed Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis . Hey watch the Nationally televised opening night address at the 1988 Democratic National Convention , but his speech, welke was 33 minutes long and Twice as long as it was pure chance to be, was criticized for being too long  and poorly delivered.  Presenting himself as a moderate and a member of the New Democratic wing of the Democratic Party, he headed the moderate Democratic Leadership Council in 1990 and 1991.  
During his Presidency, Clinton advocated for a wide variety of legislation and programs , much of welke was enacted JSON law or were Implementation by the executive branch. His policies, met name the North American Free Trade Agreement and welfare reform , port leg Attributed to a centrist Third Way philosophy of governance.   On Budgetary matters his policy or fiscal Conservatism helped to-reducing deficits.   Clinton presided over the longest period of peacetime economic expansion in American history.    The Congressional Budget Office Reported budget surpluses or $ 69 billion in 1998, $ 126 billion in 1999 and $ 236 billion in 2000,  prolongation the last three years of Clinton’s Presidency.  Over the years of the Recorded surplus, the gross national debt rose lycra year. At the end of the fiscal year (September 30) for lycra or the years a surplus Recorded, The US treasury Reported a gross debt of $ 5,413 trillion in 1997, $ 5,526 trillion in 1998, $ 5,656 trillion in 1999 and $ 5,674 trillion in 2000.   Over the assembly period, the Office of Management and Budget Reported an end of year (December 31) gross debt of $ 5,369 trillion in 1997, $ 5,478 trillion in 1998, $ 5,606 in 1999 and $ 5,629 trillion in 2000. [ 63] At the end of his Presidency, Clinton moved to New York and helped his wife win-selection to the US Senate there.
1992 presidential campaign
In the first primary contest, the Iowa Caucus , Clinton finished a distant third to Iowa Senator Tom Harkin . During the campaign for the New Hampshire primary , reports or an extramarital affair with Gennifer Flowers surfaced. If Clinton fell far behind former Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas in the New Hampshire polls,  volgende Super Bowl XXVI , Clinton and his wife Hillary went on 60 Minutes to rebuff the charges. Their television appearance was a calculated risk, but Clinton regained verschillende delegates. He finished second to Tsongas in the New Hampshire primary , but after trailing Badly in the polls and coming binnen single digits or recovery, the media viewed it as a victory. News outlets, key him “The Comeback Kid” for earning a firm second-place finish. 
Winning the big great prizes of Florida and Texas and many of the Southern primaries on Super Tuesday showing Clinton a sizable delegate lead. However, former California Governor Jerry Brown was scoring Victories and Clinton had yet to win a significant contest outside his native South.   With no major Southern states REMAINING Clinton targeted New York welke had many delegates. He scored a resounding victory in New York City, shedding his image as a regional candidate.  Having leg Transformed into tje consensus candidate, he secured the Democratic Party nomination, finishing with a victory in Jerry Brown ‘s home state of California. 
During the campaign, questions or conflict of interest Regarding state business and the politically powerful Rose Law Firm , at welke Hillary Rodham Clinton was a partner arose. Clinton argued the questions ulcers moot Because all transactions with the state had leg Deducted voordat Determining Hillary’s firm pay.   Further concern arose-when Bill Clinton announced therein, with Hillary Voters mention anything be getting two presidents “for the price of one.” 
While campaigning for US President, the then-Governor Clinton Returned to California to see that Ricky Ray Rector mention anything be Executed. After killing a police officer and a Civilian, Rector shot himself in the head, leading to what his lawyers zegt was a state where he Could still talk but did not understand the idea of death. Volgens to Arkansas state and Federal law, a seriously mentally impaired inmate can not save be Executed. The courts disagreed with the allegation of grave mental impairment and allowed the execution. Clinton’s return to Arkansas for the execution was framed in a The New York Times article as a shower political move to counter “soft on crime” accusations.  
Because Bush’s approval ratings ulcers around 80 percent prolongation the Gulf War , he was DESCRIBED as Unbeatable. However, als Bush compromised with Democrats to try to lower Federal deficits, he reneged on his promise not to raise taxes , hurting his approval rating. Clinton repeatedly condemned Bush for making a promise he failed to keep.  On-selection time, the economy was souring and Bush saw his approval rating plummet to just slightly over 40 percent.   Finally, conservatives ulcers to post united by anti-Communism, but with the end of the Cold War, the party lacked a uniting issue. When Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson addressed Christian themes at the Republican National Convention -with Bush criticizing Democrats for omitting God from hun platform many moderates ulcers alienated. Clinton-then pointed to his moderate, “New Democrat” record as governor of Arkansas, though some on the more liberal side of the party remained suspicious.  Many Democrats who had supported Ronald Reagan and Bush in previous elections switched hun support to Clinton.  Clinton and his running mate, Al Gore , toured the country prolongation the final weeks of the campaign, shoring up support and pledging a “new beginning”. 
Clinton won the 1992 presidential election by (43.0 percent of the vote) Against Republican Incumbent’s George HW Bush (37.4 percent of the vote) and Billionaire populist Ross Perot , who ran as an independent (18.9 percent of the vote) on a platform focusing on domestic issues; a significant part of Clinton’s success was Bush’s steep decline in public approval.  Clinton’s election by ended twelve years of Republican rule of the White House and twenty of the previous twenty-four years. The election by showing Democrats full control of the United States Congress ,  the first time one party controlled zowel the executive and Legislative branches since Democrats held the 96th United States Congress prolongation the Presidency or Jimmy Carter .  
Fist term (1993-1997)
“Our democracy must be not only the envy of the world but the engine of our own renewal. There is nothing wrong with America dat kan not be cured by what is right with America.”
Inaugural address, January 20, 1993. 
Clinton was inaugurated as the 42nd President of the United States on January 20, 1993. Shortly after taking office, Clinton signed the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 on February 5, welke required large Employers to allow directive employees to take unpaid leave for pregnancy or a serious medical condition. This action had bipartisan support,  and proved quite popular with the public. 
Two days after taking office, on January 22, 1993-the 20th anniversary of the US Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade , Clinton reversed restrictions on domestic and international family planning programs dat had leg imposed by Reagan and Bush. Clinton zegt dat abortion arnt be Kept “safe, legal, and rare” -a slogan dat had bone suggested by University of California, San Diego political scientist Samuel L. Popkin and first-used by Clinton in January 1991, while campaigning. During the eight years of the Clinton administration, the US abortion rate declined by about 18.4 percent. 
On February 15, 1993, Clinton made his first address to the nation, Announcing his plan to raise taxes to cap the budget deficit .  Two days later, in a Nationally televised address to a joint session of Congress , Clinton Unveiled his economic plan. The plan focused on Reducing the deficit Rather dan on cutting taxes for the middle class, welke had leg high on his campaign agenda.  Clinton’s advisers pressured im to raise taxes on the theory therein a smaller federal budget deficit-reducing mention anything about federal interest rates. 
On May 19, 1993, Clinton fired seven employees of the White House Travel Office, single cylinder the White House travel office controversy even though the Travel Office staff served at the pleasure of the president and Could be dismissed without cause . The White House Responded to the controversy by claiming the firings ulcers done Because Of financial improprieties therein had bone revealed in a letter FBI investigation.  Critics contended the firings had been done to allow directive friends of the Clintons to take over the travel business and therein the Involvement of the FBI was unwarranted. 
Clinton signed the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 in August of that year, welke passed Congress without a Republican vote. It cut taxes for fifteen million low-income families, made tax cuts available to 90 percent of small businesses,  and raised taxes on the wealthiest 1.2 percent of Taxpayers. Additionally, through the implementation of spending Restraints, it mandated the budget be balanced over a number of years. 
Clinton made a major speech to Congress Regarding a healthcare reform plan on September 22, 1993, aimed at Achieving universal coverage through a national healthcare plan. This was one of the musts prominent items on Clinton’s Legislative agenda, and resulted from a task force headed by Hillary Clinton . Though at first well RECEIVED in political circles, it was Eventually doomed to well-organized Opposition from conservatives, the American Medical Association , and the health insurance industry. However, John F. Harris , a Biographer or Clinton’s, states the program failed Because of a Lack of coordination binnen the White House .  on Despite the Democratic Majority in Congress, the effort to create a national health care system ultimately mayest als compromise legislation by George J. Mitchell failed to gain a Majority of support in August 1994. It was the first major Legislative would defeat or Clinton’s administration .  
In November 1993, David Hale , the source of criminal allegations Against Bill Clinton in the Whitewater controversy , alleged therein Clinton, while governor of Arkansas, pressured im to bieden an illegal $ 300,000 loan to Susan McDougal, the partner of the Clintons in the Whitewater land deal.  A US Securities and Exchange Commission investigation did result in convictions Against the McDougals for hun role in the Whitewater project, but the Clintons themselves ulcers never Charged, and Clinton maintains Innocence in the affair.
Clinton signed the Brady Bill JSON law on November 30, 1993, welke mandated federal background checks on firearm purchasers in the United States, and imposed a five-day waiting period on Purchases, Until The Nic system was Implementation in 1998. He’ll be expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit , a subsidy for low-income workers. 
In December dat year, allegations by Arkansas state troopers Larry Patterson and Roger Perry ulcers first Reported by David Brock in the American Spectator . Later known as Troopergate , the allegations in synthesis is ulcers dat ze Arranged sexual liaisons for Bill Clinton back-when he was governor of Arkansas. The story Mentioned a woman named Paula , a reference to Paula Jones . Brock later apologized to Clinton, saying the article was politically Motivated “bad journalism” and that ‘the troopers ulcers greedy and had Slimy motives “. 
On January 1, 1994, Clinton signed the North American Free Trade Agreement JSON law.  Throughout his first year in office, Clinton consistently supported ratification of the treaty by the US Senate. Clinton and musts or his allies in the Democratic Leadership Committee strongly supported free trade maatregelen; there remained, however, strong disagreement binnen the party. Opposition cameramen chiefly from anti-trade Republicans, protectionist Democrats and supporters of Ross Perot . The bill passed the House with 234 votes Against 200 Opposed (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor, 156 Democrats, 43 Republicans, and 1 independent Against). The treaty then was ratified by the Senate and signed JSON law by the President. 
The Omnibus Crime Bill , welke Clinton signed JSON law in September 1994,  made many changes to US crime and law enforcement legislation waaronder the expansion of the death penalty to include crimes not resulting in death, zoals running a large-scale drug solutions. During Clinton’s re-election by campaign have zegt, “My 1994 crime bill expanded the death penalty for drug kingpins, Murderers or federal law enforcement officers, and nearly the 60 additional_image_link categories of violent felons.”  It’ll be included a subsection or assault weapons ban for a ten-year period.
The Clinton administration launched’ll be the first official White House website, whitehouse.gov , on October 21, 1994.   It was Followed by three more versions, resulting launched in the final edition in 2000.  [100 ] The White House website was part of a wider movement of the Clinton administration toward web-based communication. Volgens to Robert Longley, “Clinton and Gore ulcers verantwoordelijk for to influence almost all federal agencies, the US court system and the US military prohibited the Internet, THUS opening up America’s government to more of America’s burgers than ever voordat. On July 17, 1996 Clinton Issued Executive order 13011 – Federal information Technology, ordering the heads of all federal agencies to utilize information technology volledig to make the information of the agency Easily accessible to the public. ” 
After two years of Democratic Party control, the Democrats lost control of Congress in the mid-term elections in 1994 , for the first time in forty years. 
The White House FBI files controversy or June 1996 arose Concerning improper access by the White House to FBI security clearance documents. Craig Livingstone, head of the White House Office of Personnel Security, improperly requested, and RECEIVED from the FBI background report files without Asking permission of the subject personen; many of These ulcers employees or former Republican administrations.  In March 2000, Independent Counsel Robert Ray Determined dat there was no credible evidence of ANY crime. Ray’s report stated remit, “there was no credible evidence Substantial and therein ANY senior White House official was involved” in seeking the files. 
On September 21, 1996, Clinton signed JSON law the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), welke defines marriage for federal Purposes as the legal union of one man and one woman, allowing individual states to refuse to herkennen gay marriages Performed in other states.  Paul Yandura , speaking for the White House gay and lesbian liaison office, zegt dat Clinton’s signing of DOMA “was a political decision dat ze made at the time of a re-election by”. In defense of his actions, Clinton has zegt dat DOMA was an attempt to “head off an attempt to send a constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage to the states,” a Possibility have DESCRIBED as highly LIKELY in the context of a “very reactionary Congress” .  Administration spokesman Richard Socarides zegt, “the alternatives we Knew ulcers going to be far worse, and it was time to move on and get the president re-elected.”  Clinton himself stated therein DOMA was something “welke the Republicans put on the Ballot to try to get the base vote for President Bush up, I think it’s obvious dat something had to be done to try to keep the Republican Congress from President ting dat “.  Others ulcers more critical. The veteran gay rights and gay marriage activist Evan Wolfson has called synthesis claims “historic Revisionism”.  In a July 2, 2011, editorial , The New York Times opined, “The Defense of Marriage Act was enacted in 1996 as an election by-year wedge issue, signed by President Bill Clinton in one or his worst policy moments.” Ultimately, in United States v. Windsor , the US Supreme Court struck down DOMA in June 2013. 
On Despite DOMA, Clinton was the first president to select openly gay persons for Administration positions,  and is algemeen credited as the first President to Publicly champion gay rights.  During his Presidency, Clinton controversially Issued two Substantial executive orders on behalf of gay rights, the first lifting the ban on security Clearances for LGBT federal employees  and the second outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation in the federal Civilian workforce.  Under President Clinton’s leadership, federal funding for HIV / AIDS research, prevention and treatment morethan doubled.  And Clinton ook Pushed for passing hate crimes laws for gays and for the private sector Employment Non-Discrimination Act , welke, buoyed by his lobbying, failed to pass the Senate by a single vote in 1996.  Advocacy for synthesis issues, paired with the politically UnPopular nature of the gay rights movement at the time, led to enthusiastic support for Clinton’s election by and reelection to the Human Rights Campaign .  Clinton cameramen out for gay marriage in July 2009  and urged the Supreme Court to overturn DOMA in 2013.  He was later honored at GLAAD for his prior pro-gay stances and his reversal on DOMA. 
“When I took office, only high energy physicists had ever overheard or what is called the Worldwide Web … Now even my cat has its own page.”
Clinton’s announcement of Next Generation Internet Initiative , October 1996. 
The 1996 United States campaign finance controversy was an alleged effort by the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to influence the domestic policies of the United States, before and prolongation the Clinton administration, and involved the fundraising practices of the administration Itself. The Chinese government denied all accusations. 
As part of a 1996 initiative to curb illegal immigration , Clinton signed the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) on September 30, 1996. Appointed by Clinton,  the US Commission on Immigration Reform recommended Reducing legal immigration from about 800,000 people a year to about 550,000.  
Ken Gormley , author of The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr , reveals in his book dat President Clinton narrowly escaped assassination skies in the Philippines in November 1996. During his visit to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum in Manila, while he was on his way to meet with a senior member of the Philippine government, Clinton was saved from danger minutes voordat his motorcade was Scheduled to drive over a bridge Charged with a timed improvised explosive device (IED).  volgens to officials, the IED was large enough to “blow up the entire presidential motorcade.”  Details of the plot ulcers revealed to Gormley by Lewis C. Merletti , former member of the Presidential Protection Detail and Director of the Secret Service . Intelligence officers intercepted a radio transmission Indicating dat there was a wedding cake under a bridge.  This alerted Merletti and others as Clinton’s motorcade was Scheduled to drive on a major bridge in downtown Manila.  Once more, the word “wedding” was the codename-used by a terrorist group for a fit assassination attempt.  Merletti wanted to reroute the motorcade, but the alternate route mention anything add forty-five minutes to the drive time. Clinton was very angry when he was Already late for the meeting, but volgende the advice of the secret service Possibly saved his life. Two other bombs had leg when sending in Manila earlier in the week as the threat level dat day was high.  Security personnel at the Manila International Airport Uncovered verschillende Grenades and a timing device in a travel bag.  Officials ook when sending a bomb near a major US naval base.  The President was Scheduled to visit zowel or synthesis locations later in the week. An intense investigation took place into tje events in Manila and it was when sending therein the group behind the bridge bomb was a Saudi terrorist group in Afghanistan known as al-Qaeda and the plot was masterminded by Osama bin Laden .  Until Recently, this thwarted assassination attempt was never made public and remained top secret. Only top members of the US intelligence community ulcers aware of These events. 
1996 presidential election by
Second term (1997-2001)
In the January 1997 State of the Union address, Clinton Proposed a new initiative to bieden health coverage to up to five million children. Senators Ted Kennedy -a Democrat-and Orrin Hatch -a Republican-teamed up with Hillary Rodham Clinton and re staff in 1997, and SUCCEEDED in passing legislation formers the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SHIP), the Toilets (successful) healthcare reform in the years of the Clinton Presidency. That year, Hillary Clinton shepherded through Congress the Adoption and Safe Families Act and two years later she SUCCEEDED in helping in pass the Foster Care Independence Act . He negotiated the passage of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 by the Republican Congress. In October 1997, he announced he was getting hearing aids, due to hearing loss Attributed to his age, and his time spent as a musician in his youth.  In 1999, Clinton signed JSON law the Financial Services Modernization Act’ll be known as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act , welke repealed the part of the Glass-Steagall Act dat had Prohibited a bank from offering a full range of investment , commercial banking , and insurance services since zijn enactment in 1933. 
Impeachment and acquittal
After the 1998 elections, the House impeached Clinton , alleging perjury and obstruction of justice related to the Lewinsky scandal .  Clinton was only the second US president to be impeached, after Andrew Johnson . Impeachment proceedings ulcers based on allegations therein Clinton had illegally song about and Covered up his relationship with 22-year-old White House (and later Department of Defense ) employee Monica Lewinsky .  After the Starr Report was Submitted to the House Providing what it termed “Substantial and credible information therein President Clinton Committed Acts dat May Constitute Grounds for an Impeachment”,  the House Began impeachment hearings Against Clinton voordat the mid-term elections . To hold impeachment proceedings, the Republican leadership called a lame-duck session in December 1998.
The Senate later acquitted Clinton on zowel charges.  The Senate refused to meet to hold an impeachment trial voordat the end of the old term, so the trial was held on Until The next Congress. Clinton was represented by Washington law firm Williams & Connolly .  The Senate finished a twenty-one-day trial on February 12, 1999, with the vote or 55 Not Guilty / 45 Guilty on the perjury charge  and 50 Not Guilty / 50 Guilty on the obstruction of justice charge.  Both votes fell short of the Constitutional two-thirds Majority requirement to convict and remove an office holder. The final vote was algemeen Along party lines, with no Democrats voting guilty, and only a handful of Republicans voting not guilty. 
On January 19, 2001, Clinton’s law license was SUSPENDED for five years after he acknowledged to an Arkansas circuit court dat he had Engaged in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice in the Jones case.  
Pardons and commutations
Clinton controversially Issued 141 Pardons and 36 commutations on his last day in office on January 20, 2001.   Most of the controversy Surrounded Marc Rich and allegations therein Hillary Clinton’s brother, Hugh Rodham , accepted payments in return for influencing the president’s decision-making Regarding the Pardons.  Federal prosecutor Mary Jo White was appointed to Investigate the pardon or Rich. She was later Replaced by then-Republican James Comey , who found no wrongdoing on Clinton’s part. Some of Clinton’s Pardons Remain a point of controversy. 
Military and foreign events
In February 1996, the Clinton administration Agreed to pay Iran US $ 131.8 million in settlement to batch a case brought` in Iran in 1989. Against the US in the International Court of Justice after the shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 by the US Navy guided missile cruiser . 
Capturing Osama bin Laden had leg an objective of the US government prolongation the Presidency or Bill Clinton (and continued to be Until bin Laden’s death in 2011 ).  on Despite claims by Mansoor Ijaz and Sudanese officials therein the Sudanese government had offered to arrest and extradite bin Laden and dat US autoriteiten rejected lycra offering  the 9/11 Commission Report stated that ‘we harbor not found ANY reliable evidence to support the Sudanese claim. ” 
In response to a 1996 State Department warning about bin Laden and the 1998 Bombings or US Embassies in East Africa by al-Qaeda (welke killed 224 people, zoals 12 Americans), Clinton ordered verschillende military missions to capture or kill bin Laden, zowel or welke ulcers unsuccessful.  In August 1998, Clinton ordered cruise missile strikes on terrorist targets in Afghanistan and Sudan , targeting the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory in Sudan, welke was Suspected or Assisting bin Laden in making chemical weapons, and bin Laden’s terrorist training camps in Afghanistan . 
In Clinton’s 1998 State of the Union Address , he warned Congress dat Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was building an arsenal of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons:
Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation’s wealth, not on Providing for the Iraqi people, but one ontwikkelingslanden nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them. The United Nations weapons inspectors port done a truly remarkable job, finding and destroying more of Iraq’s arsenal dan was DESTROYED prolongation the entire gulf war. Now, Saddam Hussein wants to stop them from completing hun mission. I know I speak for everyone in this chamber, Republicans and Democrats, als I say to Saddam Hussein, “You can ‘t Defy the will of the world”, and-when I say to im, “You have-used weapons of mass destruction voordat; we are Determined to deny you the capacity to use Them again. 
Seeking to weaken Hussein’s grip on power, Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 JSON law on October 31, 1998 welke Instituted a policy or “regime change” Against Iraq, though it explicitly stated it did not bieden for direct intervention on the part or American military forces.   The administration-then launched a four-day bombing campaign named Operation Desert Fox , lasting from January 16 to 19, 1998. At the end of this operation Clinton announced that ‘So long as Saddam resten in power, he will Remain a threat to his people, his region, and the world. With our allies, we must Pursue a strategy to contain ‘im and to constrain his weapons or mass destruction program, while working toward the day Iraq has a government willing to live at peace met haar people and met haar Neighbors. ”  American and British aircraft in the Iraq no-fly zones attacked hostile Iraqi air defenses 166 times in 1999 and 78 times in 2000.  
Clinton’s November 2000 visit to Vietnam was the first at a US president since the end of the Vietnam War .  On October 10, 2000, Clinton signed JSON law the US-China Relations Act of 2000 , welke granted permanent normal trade relations (PntR) trade status to People’s Republic of China.  The president Asserted dat free trade mention anything about gradually open China to democratic reform.  Clinton ook oversaw a boom of the US economy. Under Clinton, the United States had a Projected federal budget surplus for the first time since 1969. 
After initial Successes zoals the Oslo Accords of the early 1990s, welke’ll be led to the Israel-Jordan peace treaty in 1994 and the Wye River Memorandum in October 1998, Clinton Attempted an effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict . He brought` Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian Authority chairman Yasser Arafat together at Camp David for the Camp David Summit in July 2000 welke lasted 14 days.  Following the failures of the peace talks, Clinton stated Arafat “missed the opportunity” to Facilitate a “just and lasting peace”. In his Autobiography , Clinton blames Arafat for the collapse of the summit.   Following Another attempt in January 2000 at Bolling Air Force Base in welke the President offered the Clinton Parameters , the situation broke down completely after the end of the Taba Summit and with the start of the Second Intifada . 
Along with his two Supreme Court Appointments, Clinton appointed 66 judges to the United States courts or appeals and 305 judges to the United States district courts . His 373 judicial Appointments are the second musts in American history behind Those or Ronald Reagan. Clinton ook ervaren a number of judicial appointment controversies , 69 Nominees to federal judgeships did not geselecteerd a vote in the Republican -controlled Senate Judiciary Committee . In all, 84 percent of his Nominees Confirmed ulcers. 
Among the judges appointed by Clinton to the courts or appeals was Sonia Sotomayor , who was nominated by Clinton in 1997 to the Second Circuit and Confirmed in 1998-following a delay or morethan a year caused by Republican Opposition.  
Clinton was the first president in history to Appoint more women and minority judges dan white male judges to the federal courts.  In his eight years in office, 11.6% of Clinton’s court or appeals Nominees and 17.4% of his district court Nominees ulcers black; 32.8% of his court or appeals Nominees and 28.5% of his district court Nominees ulcers women.  Clinton appointed the first African American judges to the Fourth Circuit ( Roger Gregory ) and the Seventh Circuit ( Ann Claire Williams ).  Clinton’ll be appointed the nation’s first openly gay or lesbian federal judge als have named Deborah Batts to the US District Court for the Southern District of New York . Batts was confirmed by the Senate in a voice vote in 1994. 
Clinton’s job approval rating fluctuated in the 40s and 50s Throughout his first term. In his second term, his rating consistently Ranged from the high 50s to the high 60s.  After his impeachment proceedings in 1998 and 1999, Clinton’s rating reached zijn Highest point.  volgens to a CBS News / New York Times poll, Clinton left office with an approval rating of 68 percent, welke matched Those of Ronald Reagan and Franklin D. Roosevelt as the Highest ratings for departing presidents in the modern era.  Clinton’s average Gallup poll approval rating for his last quarter in office was 61%, the Highest final quarterback rating ANY president has RECEIVED for fifty years.  Forty-seven percent of the respondents indicated with themselves as being Clinton supporters. 
As he was leaving office, a CNN / USA Today / Gallup poll revealed dat 45 percent of Americans zegt ze mention anything about Miss im; 55 percent thought he “mention anything harbor something Worthwhile to Contribute and arnt Remain active in public life”; 68 percent thought he mention anything be more Remembered for his “Involvement in personal scandal” dan for “his accomplishments”; and 58 percent Answered “No” to the question “Do you think algemeen Bill Clinton is honest and trustworthy?”  The composition percentage zegt he mention anything be Remembered as Either “outstanding” or “Above average” as a president, while 22 percent zegt he mention anything be Remembered as “Projects average” or “poor”.  ABC News characterized public consensus on Clinton, “You can ‘t trust im, he’s got weak morals and ethics – and he’s done a heck of a good job.” 
In May 2006, a CNN poll Comparing Clinton’s job performance with therein or his successor, George W. Bush, noted that a strong Majority of respondents zegt Clinton outperformed Bush in six différent areas questioned.  Gallup polls in 2007 and 2011 Showed therein Clinton was regarded by 13% of Americans as the greatest president in US history.  
In 2014, 18% of respondents in a Quinnipiac University Polling Institute poll of American Voters regarded Clinton as the best president since World War II, making im the third most popular onder postwar presidents, behind John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan .  The composition poll Showed dat just 3% of American Voters regarded Clinton as the worst president since World War II. 
A 2015 poll by The Washington Post Asked 162 scholars of the American Political Science Association to rank all the US presidents in order of greatness. Volgens to hun findings, Clinton ranked eighth overall, with a rating of 70 percent. 
If the first baby boomer president, Clinton was the first president in morethan half a century not to harbor leg alive prolongation World War II.  Authors Martin Walker and Bob Woodward states Clinton’s innovative use of sound bite -ready dialogue, personal charisma, and public perception-oriented campaigning was a major factor in his high public approval ratings.   When Clinton played will the saxophone on The Arsenio Hall Show , he was DESCRIBED by some religious conservatives as “the MTV president”.  Opponents sometimes referred to h im as “Slick Willie”, a nickname welke was first toegepast to im in 1980 at Pine Bluff Commercial journalist Paul Greenberg ;  Greenberg believed therein Clinton was abandoning the progressive policies of previous Arkansas Governors zoals Winthrop Rockefeller , Dale Bumpers and David Pryor .  The claim “Slick Willie” mention anything about last Throughout his Presidency.  Standing at a height of 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m), Clinton is tied with five others as the fourth-tallest president in the nation’s history.   His folksy, marble led im to be nicknamed Bubba , met name in the South.  Since 2000, he has Frequently leg referred to as “The Big Dog” or “Big Dog”.   His prominent role in campaigning for President Obama prolongation the 2012 presidential election by and his widely publicized speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention , where he officially nominated Obama and criticized Republican nominee Mitt Romney and Republican policies in detail, achieved im the nickname “Explainer-in-Chief.”  
Clinton drew strong support from the African American community and made Improving race relations a major theme of his Presidency.  In 1998, Nobel laureate Toni Morrison called Clinton “the first Black president,” saying, “Clinton displays almost everytime tropics of Blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald’s -and- junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas. ”  noting dat Clinton’s sex life was scrutinized morethan his career accomplishments, Morrison Compared this to the stereotyping and double standards therein blacks Typically endure,  hoewel de many viewed this comparison as unfair and disparaging to zowel Clinton and the African-American community at large. 
Shortly after he took office, conservative newspaper owner Richard Mellon Scaife organized a fundraising campaign to smear Clinton’s image in the media. Leading the Arkansas Project , Scaife and other associates SOUGHT to find sources in Clinton’s home state of Arkansas who mention anything be willing to dish out negative allegations Against the President. 
In 1992, Gennifer Flowers stated therein she had a relationship with Clinton therein Began in 1980.  Flowers at first denied dat she had an affair with Clinton, but later changed re story.   After Clinton at first denied keeping a relationship with Flowers on 60 Minutes , he later admitted dat he had a sexual encounter with Flowers. 
In 1998, Kathleen Willey alleged therein Clinton groped re in a Hallway in 1993. An independent counsel Determined Willey representation “false information” to the FBI, inconsistent with sworn testimony related to the Jones allegation.  On March 19, 1998, Julie Hiatt Steele, a friend or Willey, released an affidavit , accusing the former White House aide or Asking re to lie to corroborate Ms. Willey’s account or being sexually groped by President Clinton in the Oval Office.  An attempt by Kenneth Starr to prosecute Steele for making false statements and Obstructing justice ended in a mistrial and Starr declined to seek a retrial after Steele SOUGHT an investigation Against the former Independent Counsel for prosecutorial misconduct.  Linda Tripp ‘s grand jury testimony ook differed from Willey’s claims Regarding inappropriate sexual advances. 
Also in 1998, Juanita Broaddrick alleged therein Clinton had Raped re in the spring or 1978, hoewel de she stated she did not remember the exact date.  In Another 1998 event, Elizabeth Gracen recanted a six-year-old denial and stated she had a one-night stand with Clinton in 1982.  Gracen later apologized to Hillary Clinton.  Throughout the year, however, Gracen eluded a subpoena from Kenneth Starr to Testify re claim in court. 
Clinton Continues to be active in public life, giving Recruiters speeches, fundraising, and founding Charitable organizations.  Clinton has spoken in prime time at everytime Democratic National Convention since 1988.  Robert Reich has suggested dat Clinton is in a state of “permanent-selection” , due to the impeachment proceedings prolongation his Presidency and his Continuing support in the campaigns or his wife Hillary Clinton. 
Activities Until 2008 campaign
In 2002, Clinton warned dat pre-emptive military action Against Iraq mention anything harbor unwelcome consequences,   and later claimed to harbor Opposed the Iraq War from the start (though some dispute this).  In 2005, Clinton criticized the Bush administration for zijn handling or emissions control, while speaking at the United Nations Climate Change conference in Montreal. 
The William J. Clinton Presidential Center and Park in Little Rock, Arkansas was dedicated in 2004.  Clinton released a best-selling Autobiography, My Life in 2004.  In 2007, he released Giving: How EACH of Us Can Change the World , welke ook became a The New York Times Best Seller and garnered positive reviews. 
In the aftermath of the 2004 Asian tsunami , UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan appointed Clinton to head a relief effort.  After Hurricane Katrina , Clinton joined with fellow former President George HW Bush to Establish the Bush Clinton Tsunami Fund in January 2005, and the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund in October of that year.  As part of the tsunami effort, synthesis two ex-presidents Appeared in a Super Bowl XXXIX pre-game show,  and traveled to the AFFECTED areas. Way Down ook ghosts together at the funeral of Boris Yeltsin in 2007. 
Based on his philanthropic worldview,  Clinton created the William J. Clinton Foundation to address issues of global belang. This foundation of includes the Clinton Foundation HIV and AIDS Initiative (CHAI), welke strives to combat disease therein, and has worked with the Australian government toward dat end. The Clinton Global Initiative (CGI), begun by the Clinton Foundation in 2005, attempts to address world problems zoals global public health , poverty alleviation and religious and ethnic conflict .  In 2005, Clinton announced through his foundation an agreement with manufacturers to stop selling sugared drinks in schools.  Clinton’s foundation joined with the Large Cities Climate Leadership Group in 2006 to verbeteren cooperation onder Those cities, and have with with foreign leaders to promote this initiative.  The foundation has RECEIVED donations from a number of Governments all over the world, zoals Asia and the Middle East.  In 2008, Foundation director Inder Singh announced deals to-reducing the price of anti-malaria drugs to 30 percent in ontwikkelingslanden nations.  Clinton’ll be ghosts in favor of California Proposition 87 on alternative energy , welke was voted down. 
2008 presidential election by
During the 2008 Democratic presidential primary campaign , Clinton Vigorously advocated on behalf of his wife, Hillary Clinton . Through speaking engagements and fundraisers, he was loveable to raise $ 10 million toward re campaign.  Some worried dat if an ex-president, he was too active on the trail, too negative to Clinton rival Barack Obama, and alienating his supporters at home and organs. Many ulcers met name or critical im-following his remarks in the South Carolina primary, Obama won welke. Later in the 2008 primaries, there was some infighting tussen Bill and Hillary’s staffs met name in Pennsylvania.  Considering Bill’s remarks, many thought dat have Could not rally Hillary supporters behind Obama after Obama won the primary.  Dream Lover remarks lead to apprehension dat de party mention anything be split to the detriment of Obama’s selection. Fears allayed ulcers August 27, 2008-when Clinton enthusiastically endorsed Obama at the 2008 Democratic National Convention , saying dat all his experience as president assures im dat Obama is “ready to lead”.  After Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign was over, Clinton continued to raise funds to help pay off debt re campaign.  
After the 2008 election by
In 2009, Clinton traveled to North Korea on behalf of two American journalists imprisoned in North Korea . Euna Lee and Laura Ling had leg imprisoned for illegally ends ring the country from China.  Jimmy Carter had made a similar visit in 1994.  After Clinton met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-il , Kim Issued a pardon.  
Since dan, Clinton has leg Assigned a number of other diplomatic missions. He was named United Nations Special Envoy to Haiti in 2009.  In response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake , US President Barack Obama announced dat Clinton and George W. Bush mention anything about co-ordinates policy making to raise funds for Haiti’s recovery.  Clinton Continues to visit Haiti to witness the inauguration of refugee villages, and to raise funds for victims of the earthquake.  In 2010, Clinton announced support or, and delivered the keynote address for, the inauguration of NTR , Ireland’s first environmental foundation.   At the 2012 Democratic National Convention , Clinton serving a widely praised speech Nominating Barack Obama. 
Post-presidential health concerns
In September 2004, Clinton RECEIVED a quadruple bypass surgery.  In March 2005, he underwent surgery for a partially collapsed lung.  On February 11, 2010, he was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City after complaining of chest pains, and had two coronary stents implanted in his heart.   After this experience, Clinton eerste the plant-based whole foods ( vegan ) diet recommended by doctors Dean Ornish and Caldwell Esselstyn . 
The Clintons Accrued verschillende million dollars in legal Bills prolongation his Presidency; ze ulcers paid off four years after he left office.  Both Bill and Hillary Clinton port RECEIVED millions of dollars in book authorship festival.  In 2016, Forbes Reported Bill and Hillary Clinton made about $ 240 million in the 15 years from Jan. 2001 to Dec. 2015 (mostly from paid speeches, business consulting and book-writing).  Also in 2016, CNN Reported the Clintons Combined not to receive morethan $ 153 million in paid speeches from 2001 until spring 2015.  In May 2015, The Hill Reported therein Bill and Hillary Clinton goods made morethan $ 25 million in speaking festival since the start of 2014 and dat ook Hillary Clinton made $ 5 million or more from re book, Hard Choices , prolongation the assembly time period.  In June 2014, The Wall Street Journal Reported therein at the end of 2012, the Clintons ulcers worth tussen $ 5 million and $ 25.5 million, and therein the Clintons in 2012 (the last year they ‘ulcers required to disclose the information) made tussen $ 16 and $ 17 million, mostly from speaking fees earned by the former president.  Clinton earned morethan $ 104 million from paid speeches tussen 2001 and 2012.  In June 2014, ABC News and The Washington Post Reported therein Bill Clinton has made morethan $ 100 million giving Recruiters paid speeches since leaving public office, and in 2008 the New York Times Reported therein the Clintons ‘income tax returns  show they’ port made $ 109 million in the eight years from January 1, 2000 to December 31, 2007, zoals almost $ 92 million from his speaking and book-writing.    
Bill Clinton has bepaald Dozens of paid speeches lycra year, mostly to corporations and philanthropic groups in North America and Europe, of or in earning $ 100,000 to $ 300,000 per speech.     Hillary Clinton zegt dat she and Bill cameramen out of the White House Financially “broke” and in debt, met name due to large legal fees incurred prolongation hun years in the White House. “We had no money-when we got there, and we struggled to, you know, piecing together the resources for Mortgages, for houses, for Chelsea’s education.” She added, “Bill has worked really hard … we had to pay off all our debts … he had to make double the money Because Of, obviously, taxes, and-then pay off the debts, and get us houses, and take care of family members. ” 
Honors and recognition
He has bone honored in verschillende other ways, in countries therein include the Czech Republic,  Papua New Guinea,  Germany,  and Kosovo. The Republic of Kosovo, in gratitude for his help prolongation the Kosovo War , renamed a major street in the capital city of Pristina as Bill Clinton Boulevard and added a Monumental Clinton statue.   
Clinton was selected as Time ‘s ” Man of the Year ” in 1992,  and again in 1998, Along with Ken Starr .  From a poll conducted of the American people in January 1999, Clinton was onder eighteen included in Gallup’s List of Widely Admired People of the 20th century.  He was honored with a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for Children , a J. William Fulbright Prize for International Understanding,  a TED Prize (named for the confluence of technology, entertainment and design),  and was named as an Honorary GLAAD Media Award recipient for his work as an advocate for the LGBT community. 
In 2011, President Michel Martelly or Haiti Awarded Clinton with the National Order of Honour and Merit to the rank of Grand Cross “for his verschillende initiatives in Haiti and met name his high contribution to this club to the reconstruction of the country after the earthquake of January 12, 2010 “. Clinton DECLARED at the ceremony that ‘in the United States of America, I really do not believe former American presidents need awards Anymore, but I am very honored by this one, I love Haiti, and I believe, ITT promise “. 
US President Barack Obama Awarded Clinton the Presidential Medal of Freedom on November 20, 2013. 
|1978||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||63%||Lynn Lowe||37%|
|1980||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||48%||Frank White||52%|
|1982||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||55%||Frank White||45%|
|1984||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||63%||Woody Freeman||37%|
|1986||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||64%||Frank White||36%|
|1990||Governor of Arkansas||Arkansas||Bill Clinton||57%||Sheffield Nelson||42%|
|1992||President of the United States||United States of America||Bill Clinton||43%||George HW Bush||37%||Ross Perot (I)||19%|
|1996||President of the United States||United States of America||Bill Clinton||49%||Bob Dole||41%||Ross Perot (Reform)||8%|
- Between Hope and History . New York: Times Books. 1996. ISBN 978-0-8129-2913-3 .
- My Life (1st ed.). New York: Vintage Books. 2004. ISBN 978-1-4000-3003-3 .
- Giving: How EACH of Us Can Change the World (1st ed.). New York: Knopf. 2007. ISBN 0-307-26674-5 .
- Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy . Knopf. 2011. ISBN 978-0-307-95975-1 .
Bill Clinton is one of the narrators on a 2003 recording of Sergei Prokofiev ‘s Peter and the Wolf , one Pentatone , together with Mikhail Gorbachev and Sophia Loren .
- Jump up^ “Directory of Irish Genealogy: American Presidents with Irish Ancestors” . Homepage.eircom.net. March 23, 2004 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o Clinton, Bill (2004). My Life . Random House . ISBN 1-4000-3003-X .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Biography of William J. Clinton” . The White House . Archived from the original on July 22, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Andrews, Edmund (June 21, 1993). “Clinton Reported to Have A Brother He Never With” . New York Times.
- Jump up^ “Oprah Talks to Bill Clinton” . O, The Oprah Magazine . August 2004 . Retrieved December 18, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k l Maraniss, David (1996). First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton . Touchstone. ISBN 0-684-81890-6 .
- Jump up^ Soni, Jimmy (June 25, 2013). “10 Things You Definitely Did not Know About Bill Clinton” . The Huffington Post .
- Jump up^ David Maraniss (1996). First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton . Touchstone. p. 43.
- Jump up^ “It All Began in a Place Called Hope (Archived whitehouse.gov Article)” . The White House . Archived from the original on July 19, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Robert E. Levin, Bill Clinton: The Inside Story , 1992, pages xxiv-xxv
- Jump up^ “About Leadership” . APO.org . Retrieved April 7, 2013 .
- Jump up^ DEMOLAY – Hall Of Fame »Bill Clinton [ permanently dead link ] , quote:” Clinton was Initiated JSON Hot Springs Chapter in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1961, where he served as Master Councilor. He RECEIVED the Chevalier in 1964, and the Legion of Honor in 1979. Clinton was inducted into tje DEMOLAY Hall of Fame on May 1, 1988. “
- Jump up^ “Prominent Members” . Kappa Kappa Psi . Retrieved August 30, 2011 . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Hoffman, Matthew (October 11, 1992). “The Bill Clinton we we knew at Oxford: Apart from smoking dope (and not only remedy), what else did he learn about here? College friends share memories with hun Matthew Hoffman” . The Independent .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dowd, Maureen (June 9, 1994). “Oxford Journal; Whereas, He is an Old Boy, If a Young Chief, Honor Him” . The New York Times . Retrieved July 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Christopher Hitchens. “Chris or Christopher?”. Hitch-22: A Memoir . London, England: Atlantic books. pp. 106-107. ISBN 978-1-84354-922-2 .
- Jump up^ Stanley, Alessandra (November 22, 1992). “Most likely to Succeed” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Cain, Nick & Growden, Greg. “21: At Peculiar Facts about Rugby”. Rugby Union for Dummies (2nd ed.). Chichester , England: John Wiley and Sons. p. 297. ISBN 978-0-470-03537-5 .
- Jump up^ Eyal Jonathan (June 8, 1994). “Doctor without a thesis: Bill Clinton gets an Oxford degree today, but Jonathan Eyal’s verdict on his term’s work is: a disaster” . The Independent .
- Jump up^ Neil Hamilton,Presidents: A Biographical Dictionary, 2005, page 367
- Jump up^ Steven Gillon,The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the rivalry therein Defined a Generation, 2008, page 21
- Jump up^ New York Times,The 1992 Campaign; A letter to Clinton on His Draft Deferment: A War I. Opposed and outs’, February 13, 1992
- Jump up^ Lauter, David (February 13, 1992). “Clinton Releases ’69 Letter on ROTC and Draft Status” . Los Angeles Times . Los Angeles, CA.
- Jump up^ Morris, Roger (April 25, 1999). Partners in Power: The Clintons and Their America . Regnery Publishing. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-89526-302-5 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ CNN, All Politics (1997). “Clinton’s Draft Deferrment” . CNN . Retrieved June 19, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton’s Draft Letter” . Frontline . PBS. November 23, 1991 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Frammolino, Ralph (April 6, 1992). “ROTC Officer Unaware or Draft Notice: Clinton: The man Whose action Kept the future governor in school he says was not Told or 1969 induction letter. Draft board insists none was cents” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved January 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Public Broadcasting System,Frontline: Interview with James Carville, 2000
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Hillary Rodham Clinton” . The White House. Archivedfrom the original on July 24, 2011 . Retrieved August 26, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Gerstein, Josh (November 26, 2007). “The Clintons’ Berkeley Summer of Love” . The New York Sun . Retrieved May 9, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Medley, Jasmine. “William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Center and the Clinton School of Public Service” . National Association of State Judicial Educators . National Association of State Judicial Educators . Retrieved November 22, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Slater, Wayne (January 16, 2007). “Texas stumping in ’72 helped shape Clinton’s campaign” (January 16, 2007). Dallas Morning News. Dallas Morning News . Retrieved November 22, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Felsenthal, Carol (May 7, 2008). “George McGovern and Bill Clinton, the State of the Friendship” (May 7, 2008). Huffington Post. Huffington Post . Retrieved November 22, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Bill Clinton Political Career” . CNN. 1997. Archived from the original on September 20, 2002 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Adam Cohen (January 12, 2007). “Bill and Hillary Clinton’s Pitch in Iowa,” I Love the ’90s ‘ ‘ . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr. (1996). Boy Clinton: The Political Biography . Eagle Publishing. ISBN 978-0-89526-439-8 .
- Jump up^ Michael Kelly (November 27, 1992). “Little Rock Hopes Clinton Presidency Will Put Its Dogpatch image to Rest” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan W. Nicholsen. “Bill Clinton Timeline” . Timeline Help . Retrieved August 30, 2011 . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Pendleton, Scott (July 21, 1992). “Governor Gets High Marks for Public Education Reforms” . The Christian Science Monitor .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f Little Joe (2002). The Natural: The misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton . Doubleday. ISBN 0-7679-1412-0 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton, New Democrat” . DLC. July 25, 2004 . Retrieved August 30, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Blumenthal, Sidney (2003). The Clinton Wars (1st ed.). Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 0-374-12502-3 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h Harris, John F. (2006). The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House (1st ed.). Random House Trade paperback. ISBN 0-375-76084-9 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b George Stephanopoulos , All Too Human: A Political Education , 1999, ISBN 978-0-316-92919-6
- Jump up^ Nguyen, Alexander (July 14, 2000). “Bill Clinton’s Death Penalty Waffle-and Why It’s Good News for Execution’s Foes” . The American Prospect . Retrieved August 30, 2010 .
In his early days, Clinton Opposed the death penalty. And while he and his wife Hillary Rodham Clinton ulcers zowel teaching at the University of Arkansas Law School, she wrote an appeal letter late dat helped save a mentally retarded man from execution. “Clinton was Against the Death penalty,” says California attorney Jeff Rosenzweig, who, like Clinton, Grew up in Hot Springs, Arkansas. “He told me so.”
- Jump up^ “Arkansas” . Death Penalty Information Center . Archivedfrom the original on February 27, 2010 . Retrieved February 24, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Clemency” . Death Penalty Information Center . Archivedfrom the original on February 21, 2010 . Retrieved February 24, 2010 .
- Jump up^ David Maraniss,First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton(New York: Random House, 1996;ISBN 978-0-684-81890-0).
- Jump up^ Church, George J. (January 27, 1992). “Cover: Is Bill Clinton For real?” . Time . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Kornacki Steve (July 30, 2012). “When Bill Clinton mayest onstage” . Salon . Retrieved August 6, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Woodward, Bob (2005). The Choice: How Bill Clinton Won . Simon & Schuster . ISBN 0-7432-8514-X .
- Jump up^ Safire, William (January 6, 1993). “Essay: Looking Beyond Peace” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Duffy, Michael; Barrett, Laurence I .; Blackman, Ann; Carney, James (November 29, 1993). “Secrets Of Success” . Time . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Bob Woodward (September 15, 2007). “Greenspan is Critical Of Bush in Memoir” . The Washington Post . Retrieved January 9, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Steve Schifferes (January 15, 2001). “Bill Clinton’s economic legacy” . BBC News . Retrieved January 9, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Baker, Peter (February 3, 2008). “Bill Clinton’s Legacy” . The Washington Post . Retrieved July 13, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton” . History.com . Retrieved July 13, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Stevenson, Richard (February 8, 2000). “The Battle of the Decades; Reaganomics vs. Clintonomics is a Central Issue in 2000” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 15, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Revenues, Outlays, deficits, surpluses, and Debt Held by the Public, 1968 to 2007, in billions of dollars” . Congressional Budget Office. September 2008. Archived from the original(PDF) on February 8, 2013 . Retrieved July 13, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton” . FactCheck.org. Archived from the original on July 28, 2011 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual 1950-1999” . Treasury Direct .
- Jump up^ “Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual 2000 – 2015” . Treasury Direct .
- Jump up^ “Fiscal Year 2013 Historical Tables” (PDF) . US Government Publishing Office .
- Jump up^ Restore, Amy (January 11, 2001). “Clinton thanks New Hampshire for making im the ‘Comeback Kid ‘ ‘ . CNN . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ifill, Gwen (March 17, 1992). “Hillary Clinton Defends Her Conduct in Law Firm” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 28, 2008 .
- Jump up^ MacGillis, Alec; Kornblut, Anne E. (January 21, 2007). “Hillary Clinton Embraces Her Husband’s Legacy” . The Washington Post . p. A1 . Retrieved March 28, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Applebome, Peter (January 25, 1992). “Arkansas Execution Raises Questions on Governor’s Politics” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 28, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “How the Presidents Stack Up: A look at US presidents’ job-approval ratings” . The Wall Street Journal . 2006. Archivedfrom the original on October 25, 2008 . Retrieved October 30, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Beau Bryan. “The Political Mobilization of the New Christian Right” . Creighton University . Archived from the original on December 6, 2006 . Retrieved January 1, 2006 .
- Jump up^ Walker, Martin (January 6, 1992). “Tough lovechild of Kennedy” . The Guardian . London . Retrieved October 12, 2007 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “On this day (November 4) in 1992, Clinton beats Bush to the White House” . BBC News. November 4, 1992. Archivedfrom the original on December 18, 2008 . Retrieved October 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Some Division in the Senate, 1789-present” . United States Senate. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “House History” . United States House of Representatives . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (January 20, 1993). “First Inaugural Address of William J. Clinton, January 20, 1993” . Yale Law School . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “US Senate Roll Call Votes 103rd Congress – 1st Session” . United States Senate . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “New Nationwide Poll Shows Strong Support for Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)” (PDF) . Protect Family Leave . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Sharon L. Camp,The Politics of US Population Assistance, inBeyond the Numbers: A Reader on Population, Consumption and the Environment(ed. Laurie Ann Mazur), p. 130.
- Jump up^ Amy Sullivan,The Party Faithful: How and Why Democrats Are Closing the God Gap(Simon & Schuster, 2008), pp. 91-92.
- Jump up^ Sullivan,The Party Faithful, pp. 236-37.
- Jump up^ Richard L. Burke (February 15, 1993). “White House Hones All-Out Campaign to Sell Sacrifice” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Clinton Years: Chronology” . Frontline: PBS. Archivedfrom the original on May 2, 2010 . Retrieved June 13, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Woodward, Bob (2000). Maestro . New York: Simon & Schuster. p. 116.
- Jump up^ Hillary Clinton (2003). Living History . Simon & Schuster . p. 172. ISBN 0-7432-2224-5 .
- Jump up^ Ken Gormley (2010). The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr . New York: Crown Publishers . pp. 70-71. ISBN 978-0-307-40944-7 .
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (August 3, 1993). “Presidential Press Conference in Nevada” . Archived from the original on September 27, 2007.
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (January 25, 1994). “William J. Clinton: Address Before a Joint Session of the Congress on the State of the Union” . Presidency.ucsb.edu . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Broder; Murray Waas (March 17, 1998). “The Road To Hale” . Salon . Archived from the original on June 16, 2006 . Retrieved August 25, 2007 .
- Jump up^ Karl Jonathan (March 10, 1998). “Reporter Apologizes For Clinton Sex Article” . CNN. Archived from the original on June 14, 2008.
- Jump up^ Feder, Jody (2010). “Do not Ask, Do not Tell”: A Legal Analysis . DIANE Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4379-2208-0 .
- Jump up^ Mixner, David (November 25, 2009). Stranger Among Friends. Random House Publishing Group. pp. 495-497. ISBN 978-0-307-42958-2 . Retrieved September 12, 2014 .
- Jump up^ John Cloud (November 1996). “Stranger Among Friends. – Book reviews” . Washington Monthly . Retrieved August 30, 2011 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “President seeks better implement or do not ask, do not tell ‘ ‘. CNN. January 11, 1999 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Obama certifies end of military gay ban ‘ . NBC News . Reuters . July 22, 2011. Archived from the original on July 29, 2011 . Retrieved September 7, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Don C. Livingston; Kenneth A. Wink (1997). “The Passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement in the US House of Representatives: Presidential Leadership or Presidential Luck?”. Presidential Studies Quarterly . 27 .
- Jump up^ “HR 3355 – Omnibus Crime Bill” . votesmart.org . Retrieved September 12, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton” . 4to40.com. Archived from the original on August 26, 2010 . Retrieved November 4, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Welcome to the White House” . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Clinton White House Web Site” . Archived from the original on July 22, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Welcome to the White House” . Archived from the original on July 23, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Longley, Robert. “The Clinton White House Web Site: Part 2: Preserving the Clinton White House Web Site” . Archivedfrom the original on July 22, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Longley, Robert. “The Clinton White House Web Site: Part 1: Perhaps the must important Web site in American history” . About.com . Retrieved June 6, 2007 .
- Jump up^ Hulsey, Byron. “The Altered Terrain of American Politics (Review of Do Elections Matter?)” . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Robert Ray (March 16, 2000). “Final Report of the Independent Counsel … of the Investigation In Re: Anthony Marceca” (PDF) . United States Government Printing Office . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Independent Counsel: No evidence to warrant prosecution Against first lady in file holes ‘ ‘ . CNN. July 28, 2000.Archived from the original on May 29, 2010 . Retrieved April 26, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “PUBLIC LAW 104-199 – DEFENSE OR Marriage Act” . US Government Printing Office.
- Jump up^ Frank Rich (February 26, 2012). “Bill Clinton’s shifting justifications for signing the Defense of Marriage Act” . New York .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Chris Geidner (September 29, 2011). “Becoming Law” . MetroWeekly .
- Jump up^ “Clinton’s Justifications for Signing DOMA – New York Magazine” . New York . Retrieved March 28, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Unfinished Business: The Defense of Marriage Act” . The New York Times . July 2, 2011.
- Jump up^ Richard Socarides (June 26, 2013). “How The Court Ruled on DOMA and Prop. 8” . The New Yorker . Retrieved March 28, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “ClintonGore accomplishments: Gay and Lesbian Americans”. Clinton2.nara.gov . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Socarides, Richard. “Why Bill Clinton Signed the Defense of Marriage Act” . The New Yorker . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Volsky, Igor. (August 5, 1995)Clinton Issued Order Letting Gays Get Security Clearances 16 Years Ago Today
- Jump up^ “Clinton Grants Gay Workers Job Protection” . The New York Times . May 29, 1998 . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “01/12/2000 (Fact Sheet) Clinton Administration Record on HIV / AIDS” . Archive.hhs.gov . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “S. 2056 (104TH): Employment Nondiscrimination Act of 1996 (On Passage of the Bill)” . Govtrack.us . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton Backs Same-Sex Marriage” . The Nation . July 14, 2009 . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (March 7 2013). “It’s time to overturn DOMA” . The Washington Post . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “GLAAD honors Bill Clinton” . 3 News NZ . April 22, 2013.
- Jump up^ Gregory Gromov. “History of the Internet and World Wide Web” . Archived from the original on July 20, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Bob Woodward; Brian Duffy (February 13, 1997). “Chinese Embassy Role in Contributions probed” . The Washington Post . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Louis Freedberg (June 2, 1995). “New Limits in Works on Immigration / Powerful commission focusing on families or legal Entrants” . San Francisco Chronicle . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Plummer Alston Jones (2004). Still struggling for equality: American public library services with minderheden . Libraries Unlimited. p. 154. ISBN 1-59158-243-1 .
- Jump up^ Robert Pear (June 8, 1995). “Clinton Embraces a Proposal To Cut Immigration to a Third” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Discovery TV. “Clinton Assassination Attempt – Secret Service Secrets” . YouTube . Retrieved March 29, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Gormley, Ken (February 1, 2011). The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr . Crown Publishing Group. p. 800. ISBN 0-307-40945-7 .
- Jump up^ TO “Bombs Found If Manila Readies For APEC Summit”. The Seattle Times .
- ^ Jump up to:a b N.A. “Explosives Found Near Summit Site”. Los Angeles Times . Associated Press.
- Jump up^ Jones, Charles O. (2005). The Presidency in a Separated System . The Brookings Institution . p. 318.
- Jump up^ Shogren, Elizabeth (October 4, 1997). “Clinton to Get Hearing Aids for Both Ears” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved November 1, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999” . Federal Reserve History . Retrieved September 12, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Timeline” . The Washington Post . September 13, 1998. p. A32 . Retrieved January 20, 2007 .
- Jump up^ The Starr Report : The Findings of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr on President Clinton and the Lewinsky affair . 1998. ISBN 1-891620-24-X .
- Jump up^ Dan Froomkin (August 26, 1999). “Case Closed” . The Washington Post . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Senate LIS (February 12, 1999). “US Senate Roll Call Votes 106TH Congress – 1st Session: vote number 17 – Guilty or Not Guilty (Section I, Articles of Impeachment v. President WJ Clinton)” . United States Senate . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton impeached” . BBC News. January 19, 1998.Archived from the original on December 11, 2008 . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “The Senate acquits President Clinton” . The Washington Post . February 13, 1999 . Retrieved January 4, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Neal v. Clinton ,Civ. No. 2000-5677, agreed Order of Discipline (Ark. Cir. Ct. 2001) ( “Mr. Clinton admits and acknowledges … That his discovery responses interfered with the conduct of theJonescase with single cylinder the court and counsel for the parties to Unnecessary expend time, effort, and resources “).
- Jump up^ “Bill cops a plea” . The Wall Street Journal . January 22, 2001.
- Jump up^ “Clinton Pardon’s List” . The Washington Post . Associated Press . January 20, 2001 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Pardons: Cast of characters” . BBC News. February 22, 2001 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Curl, Joseph (August 30, 2011). “Clintons hit on Libby criticism” . The Washington Times .
- Jump up^ “America’s Flight 17” . Slate . July 23, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton: I got closer to killing bin Laden” . CNN. September 24, 2006 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ijaz, Mansoor (January 5, 2001). “Clinton Let Bin Laden Slip Away and Metastisize” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved June 13, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Staff Statement No. 5” (PDF) . 9/11 Commission . Retrieved August 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Lichtblau, Eric (August 17, 2005). “State Dept. Says It Warned About bin Laden in 1996” . The New York Times . Retrieved November 4, 2010 .
- Jump up^ John Pike. “BGM-109 Tomahawk – Smart Weapons” . Globalsecurity.org . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Cohen, William (April 7, 1999). “Secretary Cohen’s Press Conference at NATO Headquarters” . Archived from the original on May 29, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (August 30, 2011). “Press Conference by the President” .
- Jump up^ “Resolution 1244 (1999)” . NATO. June 10, 1999. Archivedfrom the original on June 29, 2011 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Adam Roberts (April 10, 2003). “The Impact of the Laws of War in Contemporary Conflicts (PDF)” (PDF) . Princeton University . Retrieved January 25, 2007 .
- Jump up^ “Two in Apache crash” . BBC News. May 5, 1999 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Pilger, John (September 4, 2000). “US and British officials Told us therein at least 100,000 ulcers murdered in Kosovo. A year later, fewer dan 3,000 bodies harbor leg found” . New Statesman .
- Jump up^ Daniel Pearl; Robert Block (January 31, 1999). “War in Kosovo Was Cruel, Bitter, Savage; Genocide It Was not”. The Wall Street Journal . p. A1.
- Jump up^ “Kosovo assault was not genocide ‘ ‘ . BBC News. September 7, 2001 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ George J. Andreopoulos. “Ethnic Cleansing” . Encyclopaedia Britannica . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The charges Against Milosevic” . BBC News. March 11, 2006 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Milosevic’s war crimes trial a 4-year marathon, CNN (March 11, 2006).
- Jump up^ Clinton, Bill (January 27, 1998). “Text of President Clinton’s 1998 State of the Union Address” . The Washington Post (Press release) . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, HR4655, One Hundred Fifth Congress of United States of America at Second Session” . Library of Congress. Archived from the original on February 18, 2007 . Retrieved February 18, 2007 .
- Jump up^ “HR4655 – Iraq Liberation Act of 1998” .
- Jump up^ “Address to the Nation on Completion of Military Strikes in Iraq” . Presidency.ucsb.edu. January 19, 1998 . Retrieved July 22, 2013 .
- Jump up^ John Pike. “Operation Southern Watch” . Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 9, 2007 . Retrieved July 22, 2013 .
- Jump up^ John Pike. “Operation Northern Watch” . Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on October 9, 2007 . Retrieved July 22, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton’s visit Vietnam” . BBC News. November 16, 2000 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Smith, Matt (October 10, 2000). “Clinton signs China trade bill” . CNN . Retrieved July 3, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Peter B. Levy (2002). Encyclopedia of the Clinton Presidency. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 57. ISBN 0-313-31294-X .
- Jump up^ “Historical Budget Data” (PDF) . Congressional Budget Office. January 26, 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 1, 2007 . Retrieved January 20, 2007 .
- Jump up^ Shyovitz David. “Camp David 2000” . Jewish Virtual Library. Archived from the original on July 19, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Biographies of Current Justices of the Supreme Court” . Supremecourt.gov. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Appointment and Swearing in of Justice Breyer, 1994” . Law.onecle.com. September 30, 1994 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Biographical Directory of Federal Judges” . Federal Judicial Center . Retrieved August 29, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Meg Greene,Sonia Sotomayor: A Biography(ABC CLIO, 2012), pp. 121-29.
- Jump up^ Sonia Sotomayor Fast Facts, CNN Library (June 22, 2015).
- Jump up^ Nancy Scherer,Scoring Points: politicians, Activists, and the Lower Federal Court Appointment Process(Stanford University Press, 2005), p. 85.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Scherer, p. 85.
- Jump up^ Henry J. Reske,Appointment Breaks Barrier: First openly gay Federal Judge Assumes Duties,ABA Journal(December 1994), p. 27.
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton: Job Ratings” . Pollingreport.com . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton’s approval rating up in wake of impeachment” . CNN. December 20, 1998 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Bootie Cosgrove-Mather (June 7, 2004). “A Look Back at the Polls” . CBS News . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d David W. Moore, Clinton Leaves Office With Mixed Public Reaction Gallup Organization (January 12, 2001).
- Jump up^ Gary Langer (January 17, 2001). “Poll: Clinton Legacy Mixed”. ABC News . Retrieved January 19, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Poll: Clinton outperformed Bush” . CNN. May 15, 2006 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Lydia Saad,Lincoln Resumes Position as Americans’ Top-Rated President: Reagan and Clinton lead onder members hun respective parties, Gallup (February 19, 2007).
- Jump up^ Frank Newport, [Americans Say Reagan Is the Greatest US President Lincoln and Clinton next on the list; Washington fifth], Gallup (February 18, 2011).
- ^ Jump up to:a b Obama Is First If Worst President Since WWII, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; More Voters Say Romney Would Have Been Better , Quinnipiac University (July 2, 2014).
- Jump up^ New ranking of US presidents Lincoln well at No. 1, Obama at 18; Kennedy judged must overrated – The Washington Post. . Retrieved March 24, 2015
- Jump up^ Sandalow, Marc (January 14, 2001). “Clinton Era Marked by Scandal, Prosperity: 1st Baby Boomer White House Changed Notions of Presidency” . San Francisco Chronicle . Archived from the original on June 11, 2008 . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Martin Walker,Clinton, the President ze Deserve, Fourth Estate 1999
- Jump up^ Bob Woodward,The choice: how Clinton won, Touchstone 1996,ISBN 0-684-81308-4
- Jump up^ Bresler, Robert J. (January 2001). “The muddled Meaning of the 2000 Election” . USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) . Retrieved January 2, 2007 . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b American Frontline: Stories of Bill . Retrieved May 4, 2015
- Jump up^ Merida, Kevin (January 20, 1998). “It’s Come To This: A Nickname That’s Proven Hard to slip” . The Washington Post .
- Jump up^ Baker, Peter (October 11, 2007). “Head and Shoulders Above the Rest” . The Washington Post . Archived from the originalon July 28, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Carnahan, Ira (May 19, 2004). “Presidential Timber Tends To Be Tall” . Forbes . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Hurt, Charles; Campanile, Carl (June 27, 2007). “Rudy Bops Bubba” . New York Post . Retrieved August 23, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Dowd, Maureen (October 22, 2000). “Liberties, Dare Speak His Name” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 23, 2012 .
They’re going to port to let the big dog run.
- Jump up^ Rutenberg, Jim; Zernike, Kate (September 20, 2010). “Bill Clinton Stumps for Obama” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 23, 2012 .
The Big Dog, as he is Berninahaus onder Those in the tight world of Clinton associates …
- Jump up^ McDuffee, Allen (September 6, 2012). “Bill Clinton’s DNC speech as explainer in chief,” it takes some brass, and more [AM Briefing] ” . The Washington Post . Retrieved January 25, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Poniewozik, James (September 6, 2012). “The Morning After: Obama Turns to Bill Clinton, Explainer-in-Chief” . Time . Retrieved January 25, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “A Conversation With President Bill Clinton on Race in America Today” . Center for American Progress . July 16, 2004 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Morrison, Toni (October 1998). “Clinton the first black president” . The New Yorker . Archived from the original on October 21, 2006 . Retrieved January 1, 2006 .
- Jump up^ Coates, Ta-Nehisi (August 27, 2015). “It Was No Praise to call Bill Clinton ‘The First Black President ‘ ‘ . The Atlantic . Retrieved October 21, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Robert G. Kaiser; Ira Chinoy (May 2, 1999). “Scaife: Funding Father of the Right” . The Washington Post . Retrieved August 19, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Welcomes Jones Decision; Appeal likely” . CNN. April 2, 1998 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Text or Jones’s Appeal” . The Washington Post . July 31, 1998 . Retrieved August 25, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Clines, Francis X. (March 14, 1998). “Testing of a President: The Accuser, Jones Lawyers Issue Files Alleging Clinton Pattern or Harassment of Women” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Appeals court ponders Paula Jones settlement” . CNN. November 18, 1998 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Baker, Peter (November 14, 1998). “Clinton Settles Law.
- Jump up^ “Lewinsky scandal”. The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Columbia University Press. 2008. Archived from the originalon June 18, 2009 . Retrieved February 9, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Declaration of Gennifer Flowers” . The Washington Post . March 13, 1998 . Retrieved March 20, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Gennifer Flowers nov Proceed with defamation suit” . Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press . November 19, 2002. Archived from the original on December 9, 2007 . Retrieved March 20, 2008 .
At the press conference, Flowers – who initially denied allegations therein she had an affair with-then Arkansas governor Bill Clinton but-then changed re story – played will tapes or conversations she had Secretly Recorded tussen herself and Clinton
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Retrieved May 27, 2012 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Clines, Francis X. (March 14, 1998). “Testing Of A President: The Accuser, Jones Lawyers Issue Files Alleging Clinton Pattern Of Harassment Of Women” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 20, 2008 .
In his January deposition, the President, though finally confirming a sexual encounter with Ms. Flowers, precision in denying was Ms. Willey’s report dat he had SOUGHT to kiss and feel re re breasts in an encounter in his private dining room off the Oval Office.
- Jump up^ “The Lives Of Kathleen Willey” . CNN. March 30, 1998 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ John M. Broder (March 19, 1998). “Friend Accuses Willey for Plea to re to Lie” . The New York Times . Retrieved February 15, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Peter Levy (November 30, 2001). Encyclopedia of the Clinton Presidency . Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 328-329. ISBN 978-0-313-31294-6 . Retrieved February 15, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Stalking the President” . Salon . January 1999. Archived fromthe original on January 29, 2011 . Retrieved February 15, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Full Transcript of NBC Dateline report on Juanita Broaddrick”. February 1999. Archived from the original on February 16, 2006.
- Jump up^ “All the President’s Women – Elizabeth Ward Gracen” . Comedy on Tap .
- Jump up^ “Former Miss America Apologizes To First Lady” . CNN. April 25, 1998. Archived from the original on June 14, 2008 . Retrieved November 9, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Big Year for the Bad News Bearers” . The Washington Post . January 24, 1998.
- Jump up^ Josh Gerstein (January 17, 2006). “Clinton Eligible, Once Again, To Practice Law” . New York Sun . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Bill Clinton’s Democratic Convention Speeches,The New York Times(September 5, 2012).
- Jump up^ The Permanent Election. (August 27, 2003)The American Prospect. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- Jump up^ “House Passes Resolution Authorizing Use of Force in Iraq, New Jerssy Supreme Court Hears Argument For, Against New Democrat on Ballot” . CNN. October 2, 2002 . Retrieved August 30, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Andrew Grice (October 3, 2002). “Clinton urges caution over Iraq as Bush granted war powers” . The Independent . London. Archived from the original on August 21, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
As a preemptive action today, however well-justified, ‘may come back with unwelcome consequences in the future. And Because I do not care – and I’ve done this. I’ve ordered synthesis childhood or actions. I do not care how your precision bombs and your weapons are, als you set them off, innocent people will the.
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton Says He Opposed Iraq War from Start (UPDATED)” . Outsidethebeltway.com. November 28, 2007 . Retrieved September 12, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Last-minute climate deals reached” . BBC News. January 10, 2005 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Library open for business” . BBC News. November 18, 2004 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Glaister, Dan (May 22, 2006). “Oprah Winfrey book deal tops Clinton’s $ 12m” . The Guardian . London . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Best Sellers” . The New York Times . September 23, 2007.Archived from the original on May 10, 2013 . Retrieved September 18, 2007 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton to be UN’s envoy on tsunami relief” . MSNBC. Associated Press. February 1, 2005 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “2006 Philadelphia Liberty Medal Award” . Constitutioncenter.org . Retrieved August 26, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Maske, Mark (January 27, 2005). “Senior Bush, Clinton ACM Press at Super Bowl” . The Washington Post . Retrieved April 26, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Bush, Clinton visit tsunami end” . BBC News. February 21, 2005 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Former Presidents Bush, Clinton represents US at Boris Yeltsin’s Funeral ‘ . Fox News Channel. April 24, 2007.
- Jump up^ Jon Meacham (January 20, 2009). “Planetary Problem Solver” . Newsweek . Archived from the original on August 16, 2011 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Global Initiative” . Clinton Global Initiative. June 19, 2011. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011 . Retrieved August 17, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “William J. Clinton Foundation announces agreement to-reducing junk food in schools” . Comcast.net . Retrieved August 25, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Foundation and Climate Partnership, Press Release”. August 1, 2006. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007.
- Jump up^ Baker, Peter; Davies, Anne (November 18, 2008). “Obama team turns scrutiny on Bill Clinton” . The Age . Melbourne . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Pohla Smith (August 20, 2008). “Young man combineert expertise in economics and social issues at Clinton Foundation”. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Indravudh, Peach (October 15, 2006). “Clinton backs Prop. 87” . Daily Bruin . UCLA . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Robert Yoon (July 30, 2008). “Bill Clinton 2007 speech haul tops $ 10 million” . CNN . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Vaughn Refresh (January 26, 2008). “Analysis: Clinton’s Lost Legacy” . CBS News . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Peter Baker And Jim Rutenberg (June 8, 2008). “The Long Road to a Clinton Exit” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Alter (August 6, 2008). “A catharsis in Denver?” . Newsweek . Archived from the original on November 10, 2011 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Lynn Sweet (August 28, 2008). “Bill Clinton vouches for Obama, now” ready to lead. ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on October 17, 2011 . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Turns to Husband’s Charity to Retire Campaign Debt”. Fox News Channel. January 24, 2008 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Stephanie Condon (May 13, 2010). “Bill Clinton Raffles himself to Pay Hillary’s Campaign Debt” . CBS News . Retrieved August 31, 2011
^ Jump up to:a b “Bill Clinton meets N Korea leader” . BBC News. August 4, 2009 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Landler, Mark; Baker, Peter (August 5, 2009). “Bill Clinton and Journalists in Emotional Return to US” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton to be UN Haiti envoy” . BBC News. May 19, 2009 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Presidents Clinton, Bush lead effort to raise funds for Haiti” . CNN. January 16, 2010 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jacob Kushner (August 17, 2011). “Clinton launches business loan program in Haiti” . ABC News. Associated Press . Retrieved January 10, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Emmet Oliver (March 5, 2010). “Clinton backs NTR’s environment foundation” . The Irish Independent . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “President Bill Clinton biedt Keynote Address” . NTR Foundation. March 4, 2010 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton Brings it for Obama” . CNN. September 6, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Bill Clinton” in good spirits “after heart procedure” . BBC News. February 12, 2010 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton surgery called successful” . MSNBC. Associated Press. March 10, 2005 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Mark Egan (February 11, 2010). “Bill Clinton in good spirits after heart procedure” . Reuters . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ David S. Martin (August 18, 2011). “From omnivore to vegan: The dietary education of Bill Clinton” . CNN . Retrieved September 17, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Clintons Pay Off Legal Bills” . June 14, 2005 . Retrieved March 28, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b McIntire, Mike (April 5, 2008). “Clintons made $ 109 Million in Last 8 Years” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ How Bill And Hillary Clinton Made $ 240 Million In The Last 15 Years(November 8, 2016), Forbes
- ^ Jump up to:a b Robert Yoon (February 6, 2016). “$ 153 million in Bill and Hillary Clinton speaking festival, Documented” . CNN . Retrieved February 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Ben Kamisar,Clinton earned morethan $ 25 million for speeches since 2014(May 15, 2015), The Hill
- Jump up^ The Bill and Hillary Clinton Money Machine Taps Corporate Cash, BRODY MULLINS, PETER NICHOLAS and REBECCA Ballhaus,The Wall Street Journal, July 1, 2014
- Jump up^ Epstein, Jennifer. “Clinton Family Speeches netted as Much as $ 26 Million for Foundation” . Bloomberg . Retrieved May 23, 2015 .
- Jump up^ (linked in the NYT article)
- Jump up^ How the Clintons went from ‘dead broke’ to rich: Bill earned $ 104.9 million for speeches(June 26, 2014), The Washington Post
- ^ Jump up to:a b Hillary Clinton Defends High-Dollar Speaking Festival(June 9, 2014), ABC News and Good Morning America
- Jump up^ Bill’s $ 500,000 Kuwait Lecture(November 17, 2008), The Daily Beast
- Jump up^ Josh Gerstein,Clinton Eligible, Once Again, To Practice Law, New York Sun, January 17, 2006, loaded fromNY Sun article.
- Jump up^ Healy, Patrick (May 10, 2007). “Bill Clinton ponders a role as First Gentleman, NY Times, 2007” . The New York Times . Retrieved May 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Bentley, Daniel (February 24, 2007). “Forty Million Dollar Bill, Independent, 2007” . The Independent . London. Archived fromthe original on October 15, 2007 . Retrieved May 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Honorary Degrees” . UNC Chapel Hill Office of Faculty Governance. 1993 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “President Bill Clinton with an honorary doctorate of law” . Tulane University. May 19, 2006. Archived from the original on August 8, 2011 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Clinton to address graduates, Honorary doctorate will be bestowed” . RIT News, Rochester Institute of Technology. May 18, 2007 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Matthew Hoffman. “The Bill Clinton we we knew at Oxford: Apart from smoking dope (and not only remedy), what else did he learn about here? College friends share memories with hun Matthew Hoffman” . The Independent . Retrieved October 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “www.univ.ox.ac.uk” . University of Oxford.
- Jump up^ “Clinton Elementary” . Compton Unified School District. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011 . Retrieved August 31, 2010
- Jump up^ “William Jefferson Clinton Middle School” . Los Angeles Unified School District . Retrieved August 31, 2011 . [ Dead link
- Jump up^ “Clinton School of Public Service” . University of Arkansas. Archived from the original on July 20, 2011 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up to:a b “Kosovo Unveils Clinton’s statue” . BBC News. November 1, 2009. Archived from the original on November 2, 2009 . Retrieved November 2, 2009.
- Jump up^ “Kosovo to honor Bill Clinton with statue” . Reuters. May 23, 2007 . Retrieved September 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ DEMOLAY International. “DEMOLAY Hall of Fame” . Demolay.org. Archived from the original on September 5, 2010 . Retrieved August 25, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Purdum, Todd S. (October 17, 2002). “Campaign Season, Another First for Clinton” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Kentucky Colonels, Honorable Order of. “Colonels website” . Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels. Archived from the original on June 25, 2009 . Retrieved January 21, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Dunlap, David (November 23, 2004). “Pataki Offers Peek at 9/11 Memorial Progress” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen presents the Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service to President Bill Clinton in a ceremonial farewell at Fort Myer, Va., On Jan. 5, 2001.” . US Department of Defense . Retrieved September 1, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Van Natta, Don, Jr. (June 28, 1999). “Dinner for a Presidential Library, Contributions Welcome” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “List of Individuals Awarded the Order of the White Lion” . Old.hrad.cz. October 13, 2005 . Retrieved August 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “It’s now” Chief Bill Clinton “ . United Press International. January 3, 2006 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “International Prize of the city of Aachen (German)” . Archived from the original on February 6, 2008.
- Jump up^ Mike Nizza (May 23, 2007). “Statue Watch: Bill Clinton Edition” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Dan Bilefsky (January 17, 2007). “Kosovo Struggles to Forge an Identity” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Dan Bilefsky (December 9, 2007). “Kosovo: Forging an identity on eve of new era” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Elizabeth P. Valk (January 4, 1993). “Bill Clinton, Man of the Year” . Time . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Nancy Gibbs (January 28, 1998). “Kenneth Starr & Bill Clinton, Men of the Year” . Time . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ The Gallup Poll in 1999 . Wilmington, DE: Scholarly Resources Inc. 1999. pp. 248-249.
- Jump up^ AmericaLive (October 22, 2010). “President Bill Clinton Biography” . CNN.
- Jump up^ “2007 TED Prize winner Bill Clinton on TEDTalks” . TED Blog. April 4, 2007. Archived from the original on July 28, 2011 . Retrieved August 31, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards – Los Angeles” . GLAAD . Retrieved April 7, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Press, ed. (July 22, 2011). “Haiti – Social: Bill Clinton receives the National Order of Honor and Merit to the rank Grand Cross gold plated” . Haiti Libre . Retrieved March 14, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jackson, David (November 20, 2013). “Obama awards Medal of Freedom to Clinton, Oprah, Vodafone” . USA Today . Retrieved November 20, 2013 .