Arianna Huffington (maiden names Stasinopoúlou ; born Αριάδνη-Άννα Στασινοπούλου , July 15, 1950) is a Greek American author, syndicated columnist , Occasional actress, and business woman.
Huffington was the co-founder and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post , welke is now owned by AOL .   She was a popular conservative commentator in the mid-1990s, after welke, in the 1990s, she offered liberal points of view in public, while REMAINING involved in business ENDEAVORS. 
Her full name is of or in rendered in English as Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington. She is the former spouse or former Republican Congressman Michael Huffington . Before she married Michael Huffington, her name was Typically rendered in English as Stassinopoulos Rather dan Stassinopoulou .
In 2003, she ran as an independent candidate for governor in the California recall election by and fixes. 
In 2009, Huffington was # 12 in Forbes ‘ s first-ever list of the Most Influential Women in Media.  She has’ll be moved up to # 42 in The Guardian ‘ s Top 100 Media List.  As of 2014, she was listed by Forbes as the 52nd Most Powerful Woman in the World. 
In 2011, AOL acquired The Huffington Post for US $ 315 million, and made Huffington the president and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group, welke included Huffington Post and then-bestaande AOL properties waaronder AOL Music , Engadget , Patch Media , and Style List. 
On Aug. 11, 2016, it was announced dat she mention anything step down from re role at the Huffington Post to devote time to re a new startup, Thrive Worldwide, dealing with health and wellness information. 
Huffington was born Ariadne Anna Stasinopoúlou [ citation needed ] ( Αριάδνη-Άννα Στασινοπούλου ) in Athens , Greece , the daughter of Konstantinos (a journalist and management consultant) and Elli (née Georgiadi) Stasinopoulou, and is the sister of Agapi (an author speaker and performer). [ Citation needed ] She moved to the United Kingdom at the age of 16 and studied economics at Girton College , Cambridge , where she was the first foreign, and third female  President of the Cambridge Union . 
In 1971, Huffington Appeared in an edition of Face the Music Along with Bernard Levin . A relationship developed, or welke she wrote, after his death: “He was not just the big love of my life, he was a mentor as a writer and a role model as a thinker.”  Huffington Began writing books in the 1970s, with editorial help from Levin. [ Citation needed ] The two traveled to music festivals around the world for the BBC . Way Down spent summers patronizing three-star restaurants in France . Levin never wanted to marry or port children. Huffington concluded dat she had to break away and moved to New York in 1980. 
In 1979, Huffington joined Bob Langley as the co-host of BBC1 ‘s late night talk and entertainment show Saturday Night At The Mill , Appearing in 12 editions voordat being dropped from the program. 
In 1973, Arianna (as Stasinopoúlou) wrote a book Titled The Female Woman , Attacking the Women’s Liberation movement in general and Germaine Greer ‘s 1970 The Female eunuch mn. In the book she wrote, “Women’s Lib claims therein the achievement of total liberation mention anything about trans the lives of all women for the better, the truth is dat it mention anything about trans only the lives of women with strong lesbian tendencies.” 
In 1979, Polydor Records released a solo album with Irene Papas entitled Odes , with music Performed (and partly Composed) by Vangelis Papathanassiou. The words for the album ulcers co-written by Arianna Stassinopoulos.
In the late 1980s, Huffington wrote verschillende articles for National Review . In 1981, she wrote a biography of Maria Callas , Maria Callas – The Woman Behind the Legend , and in 1989, a biography of Pablo Picasso , Picasso: Creator and Destroyer . 
Huffington rose to national US Prominence prolongation the unsuccessful Senate bid in 1994 to re-then husband, Michael Huffington, a Republican. She became known as a reliable supporter of conservative Causes zoals Newt Gingrich ‘s ” Republican Revolution ” and Bob Dole ‘s 1996 Candidacy for President . She teamed up with liberal comedian Al Franken as the conservative half of “strange bedfellows”  prolongation Comedy Central ‘s coverage of the 1996 US presidential selection. For re work, she and the writing team or politically Incorrect ulcers nominated for a 1997 Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program.  She has’ll be made a few forays JSON acting with roles on shows zoals Roseanne , The L Word , How I Met Your Mother , Help Me Help You , and the film EDTV .
As late as 1998, Huffington still aligned herself with Republicans. During dat year she did a weekly radio show in Los Angeles called “Left, Right. & Center” dat “match [ed] re, the so-called” right-orchard “Against self-DESCRIBED centrist policy wonk Matt Miller , and veteran “leftist” journalist Robert Scheer. ”  In an April 1998 profile in The New Yorker , Margaret Talbot wrote that ‘Most recently, she has cast herself as a child or Republican Spice Girl – an endearingly ditzy right wing gal-about-town who is a guilty pleasure for people who know better. ” Huffington DESCRIBED herself at side-stepping the traditional party divide, saying “the right / left divisions are so outdated now. For me, the primary division is tussen people who are aware of what I call ‘the two nations’ (rich and poor) en Those who are not. ” 
Huffington, or Greek background, Opposed NATO intervention Against Serbia prolongation the Yugoslav Wars  and in 2000, she instigated the “Shadow Conventions” [ clarification needed ] In this housing Appeared at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia and the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles at Patriotic Hall . 
Huffington headed The Detroit Project , a public interest group lobbying automakers to start Producing cars running on alternative Fuels . The project’s 2,003 TV ads, welke equated driving sport utility vehicles to funding terrorism , proved to be bijzonder controversial, with some stations refusing to run them. 
In a 2004 appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart , she announced re endorsement or John Kerry by saying, “When your house is burning down, you do not worry about the remodeling.”  Huffington was a panel speaker prolongation the 2005 California Democratic Party State Convention held in Los Angeles. She’ll be ghosts at the 2004 College Democrats of America Convention in Boston, welke was held in conjunction with the 2004 Democratic National Convention . Huffington is ook a regular panelist on the Nationally syndicated weekend radio show, Both Sides Now with Huffington & Matalin ,  hosted by Mark Green.
Huffington Serves on the boards of directors of the Center for Public Integrity ,  Uber  and Onex Corporation . 
She is ook a One Young World Counsellor, speaking to delegates at Summits in Johannesburg , South Africa in 2013 and Dublin , Ireland in 2014. She ghosts about her “third metric” for success  and the value of youth leadership. 
On May 22, 2016 Huffington watch the COMMENCEMENT address  and RECEIVED an honorary degree from Colby College in Waterville, Maine. 
California recall election by participation
Huffington was an independent candidate in the 2003 recall election by or California Governor Gray Davis . She DESCRIBED re Candidacy Against Frontrunner Arnold Schwarzenegger as “the hybrid versus the Hummer “, making reference to re ownership of a hybrid vehicle, the Toyota Prius , and Schwarzenegger’s Hummer. The two mention anything Proceed to harbor a high-profile clash prolongation de-selection’s debate , prolongation welke zowel Candidates ulcers rebuked for making personal attacks. [ Citation needed ]
She dropped out of the race on September 30, 2003, and endorsed Governor Gray Davis’ campaign to vote against the recall. Polls Showed therein only about 2 percent or LIKELY California Voters Planned to vote for re at the time or re withdrawal.  though she failed to stop the recall, Huffington’s name remained on the Ballot and she placed 5th , capturing 47.505 votes or 0.55% of the vote.
Presence in media
Huffington was a panelist on the weekly BBC Radio 4 political discussion programs, Any Questions? , And the BBC television panel games Call My Bluff and Face the Music .  She served as co-host of BBC’s late night chat show Saturday Night at The Mill for four weeks voordat viewer complaints caused re to be dropped from the show. 
Huffington at one point was the co-host of the weekly, Nationally syndicated, public radio program Both Sides Now , Along with Mary Matalin , former top aide to the George W. Bush White House. Every week on Both Sides Now , Huffington and Matalin discussed the nation’s relevant political issues, offering zowel sides or everytime issue to the listeners. Both Sides Now was hosted by former Air America Radio President and HuffPost blogger Mark J. Green . 
Prior to The Huffington Post , Huffington hosted a website called AriannaOnline.com. Her first Foray into tje Internet was a website called Resignation.com, welke called for the resignation of President Bill Clinton and was a rallying place for conservatives Opposing Clinton. About Clinton resigning, she wrote, “Only some act of sacrifice kan start to restore the image of the President dat we are left with from the Starr report – a man of staggering Narcissism and self-indulgence, Whom nobody dared gainsay, Investing his energies first in gratifying his sexual greeds and-then in using his staff, his friends, and the Secret Service to cover up the truth. ” 
In November 2008, Huffington joined the cast of Seth MacFarlane ‘s animated series, The Cleveland Show , where she lends re voice to the wife of Tim the Bear framing named Arianna . 
Huffington was the source of spoofed by actress Michaela Watkins and Nasim Pedrad on Saturday Night Live . 
Huffington Appeared as herself in the May 10, 2010, episode of the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother .
Huffington participated in the 24th annual “Distinguished Speaker Series” at the University at Buffalo , NY, on September 16, 2010. She headlined a debate Against radio co-host Mary Matalin on current world events, political issues, and the local economy Buffalo. The University at Buffalo “Distinguished Speaker Series” has featured a multitude of world-Renowned politicians and celebrities zoals; Tony Blair , Bill Nye , Jon Stewart , and the Dalai Lama . 
Huffington offered to bieden as many buses as Necessary to transport Those who wanted to go to Jon Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity and / or Fear on October 30, 2010, from the Huffington Post Headquartered in New York City.  Ultimately, she paid for 150 buses to ferry almost 10,000 people from Citi Field in Queens to RFK Stadium in DC.
Huffington herself played will in the Family Guy episode ” Brian Writes a Bestseller ” Along with Dana Gould and Bill Maher in a live segment or Real Time with Bill Maher .
In 2012, Huffington became a LinkedIn Influencer, writing about success and sharing professional insights. 
Claims of plagiarism
Huffington was Accused of plagiarism for copying material for re book Maria Callas (1981); the claims ulcers settled out of court in 1981, with Callas’ Biographer Gerald Fitzgerald being paid “in the low five figures.”   
Lydia Gasman, an art history professor at the University of Virginia , claimed therein Huffington’s 1988 biography of Pablo Picasso , Picasso: Creator and Destroyer , included themes similar to Those in her unpublished four-volume Ph.D. thesis. “What she did was steal twenty years of my work,” Gasman Told Maureen Orth in 1994. Gasman did not file suit. 
Columnist Maureen Orth ook claimed therein Huffington “Borrowed Heavily for re 1993 book, The Gods of Greece “. 
Huffington has had a lifelong interest in spirituality; in her youth, together with Bernard Levin, she Explored the Rajneesh movement , later dating est founder Werner Erhard and going on to Become affiliated with John-Roger Hinkins ‘ Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness .   In 1994, she published a self-help book Titled The Fourth Instinct , outlining re view dat people arnt Rise Above the three basic instincts or survival, power, and sex to find hun hogere and better selves. 
Huffington to re husband Michael Huffington in 1985. [ citation needed ] Way Down ulcers married a year later, on April 12, 1986.  Way Down later moved to Santa Barbara, California , and in 1992 he ran as a Republican for a seat in the US House of Representatives , welke have won by a significant margin.
In 1994, Michael Huffington narrowly lost the race for the US Senate seat in California to Incumbent’s Dianne Feinstein .  In 1998, Michael Huffington disclosed therein have been bisexual .  He zegt, “In January 1985, my Houston townhouse I sat down with [Arianna] and Told re dat I had dated women and men so dat she mention anything be aware of it … The good news was dat it was not an issue for re. ”  The couple divorced in 1997. Way Down have two daughters, Isabella and Christina. Michael Huffington Publicly announced his sexuality in January 1998. “I know now dat my sexuality is part of who I am, I’ve been through a long process of finding out the truth about me.” 
Huffington became a naturalized American citizen in 1990.  She was Greek by birth. 
She has bone called “the Sir Edmund Hillary or social climbing .” 
- The Female Woman (1973) ISBN 0-7067-0098-8
- After Reason (1978) ISBN 0-8128-2465-2
- Maria Callas: The Woman Behind the Legend (1981; 1993) ISBN 0-8154-1228-2
- The Gods of Greece (1993) ISBN 0-87113-554-X
- The Fourth Instinct (1994) ISBN 0-7432-6163-1
- Picasso: Creator and Destroyer (1996) ISBN 0-671-45446-3
- Greetings from the Lincoln Bedroom (1998) ISBN 0-517-39699-8
- How to Overthrow the Government (2000) ISBN 0-06-098831-2
- Pigs at the Trough (2003) ISBN 1-4000-4771-4
- Fanatics & Fools (2004) ISBN 1-4013-5213-8
- On Becoming Fearless … in Love, Work, and Life (2007) ISBN 0-316-16682-0
- Right is Wrong: How the Lunatic Fringe Hijacked America, Shredded the Constitution, and Made Us All Less Safe (2008) ISBN 978-0-307-26966-9
- Third World America: How Our politicians Are Abandoning the Middle Class and Betraying the American Dream (2010) ISBN 0-307-71982-0
- Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder (2014) ISBN 0-804-14084-7
- The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time (2016) ISBN 978-1-101-90400-8
- Jump up^ “Arianna Huffington on Building Re Huffington Post AOL Empire – New York Magazine” . NYMag.com . Retrieved January 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Philip Galanes (September 26, 2014). “For Arianna Huffington and Kobe Bryant: First Success, Then drag” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Laura Entis (June 12, 2014). “Arianna Huffington Wants to Redefine Success. But Are We Ready to Listen?” . Entrepreneur Magazine . Retrieved January 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “10 Questions for Arianna Huffington” . Time . July 3, 2008.
- Jump up^ Schofield, Jack (August 25, 2008). “Huffington Post: From millionaire’s blog to leading liberal newspaper” . Guardian News . London. Archivedfrom the original on October 5, 2008 . Retrieved September 18, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Kiri Blakeley (July 14, 2009). “In Pictures: The Most Influential Women in Media – No. 12: Arianna Huffington” . Forbes.com. Archived from the original on March 25, 2010 . Retrieved April 12, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “42. Arianna Huffington” . The Guardian . London. July 13, 2009 . Retrieved April 7, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women” . Forbes . Forbes . Retrieved June 26, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “AOL Agrees To Acquire The Huffington Post” . AOL . February 7, 2011. Archived from the original on February 7, 2011 . Retrieved February 7, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Arianna Huffington to leave Huffington Post for wellness media startup” . USA Today . August 11, 2016.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Talbot, Margaret (April 13, 1998), “The Politics of Fame.” New Yorker. pages 40-47.
- Jump up^ “Arianna Huffington’s Education Background” . Retrieved April 4, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Stassinopoulos-Huffington, Arianna. “Zeitgeist”, The Sunday Times , August 15, 2004, Accessed June 24, 2011
- Jump up^ “Saturday Night at the Mill” . March 6, 1976 – on IMDb.
- Jump up^ Collins, Laura (October 13, 2008)”The Oracle.” New Yorker. (Retrieved 8-6-014.
- Jump up^ Huffington, Arianna (June 1988). “Picasso: Creator and Destroyer” . The Atlantic . Retrieved December 8, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Huff TV: Strange Bedfellows” . Huffingtonpost.com. February 14, 2007 . Retrieved April 12, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “politically Incorrect With Bill Maher” . Television Academy . Retrieved January 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Arianna Huffington is dead wrong” . Retrieved January 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Shadow Conventions 2000 ‘ . Commondreams.org. June 19, 2000 . Retrieved April 12, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Seelye, Katharine. “TV Ads Say SUV Owners Support Terrorists” The New York Times . June 8, 2003.
- Jump up^ “The Daily Show April 22, 2004” . Thedailyshow.com. April 22, 2004.Archived from the original on April 9, 2010 . Retrieved April 12, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Both Sides Now” . Bothsidesradio.com. Archived from the original on May 14, 2011 . Retrieved April 22, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Board of Directors” . Center for Public Integrity . Retrieved June 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Kalanick, Travis (April 27, 2016). “Arianna Huffington Joins Uber’s Board of Directors” . Uber . Retrieved June 5, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Arianna Huffington” . Onex Corporation . Retrieved June 5, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Third Metric News: News, Blogs, Statistics, Issues And Articles” .
- Jump up^ Burn-Callander, Rebecca (October 7, 2013). “Arianna Huffington: Drag your way to the top ‘ ‘ . The Daily Telegraph . London.
- Jump up^ “2016 COMMENCEMENT Speaker’s Address” . COMMENCEMENT . May 22, 2016 . Retrieved June 9, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “2016 Honorary Degree Recipients” . COMMENCEMENT . Retrieved June 9, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Huffington withdraws from recall race” . Los Angeles: CNN.com. CNN. September 30, 2003 . Retrieved September 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “How Arianna Huffington managed to lure AOL to buy The Huffington Post” . International Business Times . February 7, 2011 . Retrieved June 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Cathcart, Brian (October 16, 1994). “Rear Window: Arianna Stassinopoulos: The siren of the Seventies” . London: The Independent . Retrieved June 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ (January 16, 1998)”Direct Access: Arianna Huffington.” Washington Post . See also Huffington’s September 14, 1998 column at Resignation.com ArchivedFebruary 13, 2012, at theWayback Machine., Where she calls for Clinton to Resign, andre January 24, 1998 column at Resignation.com ArchivedMarch 3, 2012, at theWayback Machine., where she states why she started Resignation.com.
- Jump up^ Adalian, Joseph (November 2008). “Fox Seems Keen on Cleveland ” . Retrieved September 6, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Saturday Night Live – Update: Arianna Huffington – Video” . NBC.com . Retrieved April 12, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Past Speakers” . University of Buffalo . Retrieved October 19, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “The Daily Show And Colbert Report React To Arianna’s” HuffPost Sanity Bus Announcement (VIDEO) ” . Huffingtonpost.com. October 2, 2010 . Retrieved April 22, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Kovach, Steve (October 2, 2012). “Now You Can Follow Influential People On LinkedIn Without Them Following You Back” . Business Insider . Retrieved July 30, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Orth, Maureen (2005) The Importance of Being Famous. MacMillon. Page 117.
- Jump up^ ONEY Steve (October 2004) “The Many Faces of Arianna.” Los Angeles Magazine. Page 81.
- Jump up^ Nussbaum, Emily (October 9, 2006)”The Human Blog.” New York Magazine.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lauren Collins (October 13, 2008). “The Oracle. The many lives of Arianna Huffington.” . The New Yorker . Retrieved October 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Mick Brown (February 7, 2011). “Arianna Huffington: mover and shaper”. The Telegraph . Retrieved October 29, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Vanessa Grigoriadis (November 20, 2011). “Maharishi Arianna” . New York Magazine . Retrieved October 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Wilson, Rita (July 15, 2012). “Arianna Huffington Turns 62” . Huffingtonpost.com . Retrieved September 2, 2012 . See the captions to pictures 15 and 16.
- Jump up^ “Statement Of Vote, General Election” (PDF) . November 8, 1994. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 30, 2008.
- Jump up^ “A politician comes out” , CNN , December 21, 1998 , retrieved October 19, 2008
- Jump up^ Collins, Laura (October 13, 2008)”The Oracle”. The New Yorker. (Retrieved 8-6-014.
- Jump up^ Michael Huffington inThe Huffington Post: My Road to Damascus Led to the Sundance Film Festival . January 16, 2007
- Jump up^ Reich, Kenneth (January 6, 1998)”ex-GOP Hopeful Huffington Says He Is a Homosexual”. Los Angeles Times. (Retrieved October 12, 2015.)
- Jump up^ “Booknotes February 13, 2000” . Booknotes.org. February 13, 2000 14: 59-15: 09 . Retrieved January 30, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Reeves, Phil (October 12, 1994)”Huffington buys poll position: Phil Reeves in Sunnyvale, California meets the ‘foppish’ oil millionaire.” UK Independent. (Retrieved October 12, 2015).