Alexis Ohanian (born April 24, 1983) is an American Internet entrepreneur , activist , investor , and best-selling author born in the Brooklyn borough of New York City and based inSan Francisco , best known for co-founding the social news website Reddit , co-founding the early stage venture capital firm Initialized Capital , helping in launching the travel search site Hipmunk , and starting the social enterprise Breadpig . He was a partner at Y Combinator , and have died the executive chairman or Reddit.
Ohanian was born to Chris Ohanian, an Armenian-American who cameramen to the US as a refugee and Whose family ulcers Armenian Genocide survivors,   and a German-born mother, Anke, who worked as an au pair and overstayed re visa-when she fell in love with Ohanian’s Father.  He went to Howard High School in Ellicott City, Maryland where he watch the student address for his graduating class in 2001. 
After graduating from the University of Virginia in 2005 with degrees in commerce and history, Ohanian started reddit.com, with co-founder Steve Huffman . Reddit initially RECEIVED funding from Y Combinator after Ohanian and Huffman ulcers rejected for hun initial idea, My Mobile Menu. Way Down joined the first batch of Summer of 2005 and ulcers later acquired by Condé Nast in 2006. Ohanian continued to work closely linked with Reddit as a member of zijn Board of Directors. He Returned to Reddit full-time with his co-founder Steve Huffman on July 10, 2015 to lead the now-independent company.   
In 2007, Ohanian launched Breadpig, an “uncorporation” that produces geeky merchandise and Gives the Proceeds to charity. He no longer is involved in the day-to-day operations or Breadpig. 
In 2009, Ohanian ghosts at TED about a whale named Mister Splashy Pants .  After leaving Reddit in 2010, Ohanian spent three months working in Microfinance as a Kiva Fellow in Yerevan , Armenia .  Ohanian helped launch travel search website Hipmunk in 2010, and now acts as an advisor.  In June 2010, Ohanian announced the launch of his company Das Kapital Capital , welke focuses on startup Investing, Advising and consulting. [ Citation needed ]
Ohanian was named the “Ambassador to the East” for early stage venture firm Y Combinator . In this position, he meets with East Coast applicants, mentors New York YC founders, and is a general representative for the company.  He’ll be held the role of part-time partner and full-time partner at Y Combinator voordat leaving in 2016 to help launch the third Initialized Capital fund with Garry Tan . 
Early stage tech Investing
Ohanian co-founded Initialized Capital in 2010 and made seed investments in startups waaronder Instacart , Zenefits , Open Door, and Cruise . It has had three funds, totaling about $ 160m under management.  In 2014, CB Insights Analyzed all the investors in tech and Ohanian was ranked number one investor for network Centrality (the breadth of connections an investor has with other investors in the ecosystem and the quality and depth of Those left). 
Open Internet activism
In late 2010 and early 2011, Ohanian ghosts out Against Congress’s Stop Online Piracy Act and the Senate’s Protect IP Act . He helped lead the Internet-enabled grassroots campaign dat Eventually overturned the two Bills. Ohanian ghosts to members of Congress, helped launch the national anti-SOPA / PIPA protests dat took place on January 18, 2012, and ghosts at the rally in New York that was organized by NY Tech Meetup. 
In October 2012, Ohanian teamed up with Reddit General Manager Erik Martin and embarked on the Internet 2012 Bus Tour from Denver, CO to Danville, KY to campaign for the open Internet prolongation the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates. One of the campaign stops spurred the idea for a possible “National Geek Day.” in Washington DC .  
In response to his work Advocating for the open Internet, the Daily Dot named Ohanian number one in hun top at Most Influential Activists or 2012, and Forbes dubbed him “Mayor of the Internet.”  
In May 2014, Ohanian Began campaigning the FCC to support only neutrality, culminating with a day-long phone-a-thon withinto the FCC and Congress on January 15, 2015. 
On December 10, 2012, Ohanian teamed up with Lester Chambers of The Chambers Brothers to launch a Kickstarter project, with the intent to make a new album Titled “Lester’s Time Has Come.” Volgens to Fast Company , Ohanian aimed “to prove dat there are new, sustainable funding opportunities for artists now thanks to platforms like Kickstarter.” 
Two years later, Ohanian raised $ 12.244 for the nonprofit Black Girls Code on Tilt.com .  In May 2014, Ohanian-used Tilt.com again to launch “Save Net Neutrality: Billboard in FCC’s Backyard,” a crowdfunding campaign to protest the FCC’s plans to Eliminate the idea or just neutrality. 
On December 29, 2016, Ohanian became Engaged to tennis player Serena Williams . 
Awards and receptacles
In 2011 and 2012, Ohanian was named to the Forbes ‘ 30 Under 30 “list as an important figure in the technology industry.  
In 2013, Ohanian and Erik Martin ulcers featured as “champions of innovation” in the 20th Anniversary issue of Wired . 
In 2015, Ohanian was named to the Crain’s “40 Under 40” list for business. 
In 2016, Ohanian was named one of Fast Company’s “Most Creative People in Business.” 
On July 2, 2015 Reddit fired communications director Victoria Taylor, a well-liked administrator Berninahaus for co-ordinating celebrity interviews from Reddit’s New York office. In protest, volunteer moderators of the r / IAMA community set hun forum to private, effectief turning it off, and other volunteer moderators Followed suit, Because Of ‘anger at the way the company routinely Demands therein the volunteers and community accepts major changes therein-reducing [hun] efficiency and increase is [hun] workload. ”  Then interim CEO Ellen Pao resigned a week later and Steve Huffman took over as CEO. 
Ohanian published a book Titled Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed on October 1, 2013.   Without Their Permission ranked fourth on the Wall Street Journal ‘s best seller list for Hardcover Business.  In connection with the book, Ohanian embarked on a five-month, 150-stop and 75-university tour to promote the book.  
In the summer of 2013 Small Empires with Alexis Ohanian , a weekly online series dealing with rising startups in New York City hosted by Ohanian, premiered on The Verge .  The first season ran for nine episodes. The second season premiered in October 2014. 
On October 15, 2014, Ohanian launched the NYRD Radio podcast.  Guests on the show included port Tim Ferriss , James Altucher , Carter Cleveland (founder of Artsy ) and Cameron Russell . The podcast features a segment called Office Hours in welke Aspiring entrepreneurs kan apply to work through an idea with im. 
On January 8, 2015, Ohanian released the first episode – listed as “Episode 0” – or Reddit’s new podcast Upvoted in welke Ohanian delves Deeper JSON real stories found on Reddit and talks to the users involved.  EACH week, the podcast focuses on a différent story and features a guest around Whom dat story is centered.
Speaking engagements and media appearances
Ohanian has spoken at over 80 universities, and lectured at conferences like TED , the Clinton Global Initiative, SXSW , and ROFLCon . [ Citation needed ] He has spoken to a range of companies, zoals Google, BBDO , BursonMarsteller, Johnson & Johnson, Hyatt, Kraft, and Palantir. [ Citation needed ]
Ohanian has Appeared on numerous major television networks, zoals NBC, ABC,  CBS,  CNBC,  CNN,  MSNBC,  Bloomberg. He has bone interviewed on The Colbert Report ,  Charlie Rose ,  and Meet the Press .  He has ook leg featured and quoted in notable magazines and Newspapers waaronder the New York Times ,  Wall Street Journal ,  LATimes ,  Time and  Washington Post.
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian” . Crunchbase.com . CrunchBase . Retrieved May 22, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “The Next Web NYC Keynote Speech at Alexis Ohanian” .
- Jump up^ Yeghiazaryan, Aghavni. “ALEXIS Ohanian” . 100lives.com .
- Jump up^ Kompanek, Christopher (September 20, 2013). “Alexis Ohanian on founding Reddit and future start-ups” . Financial Times . Retrieved October 25, 2013 .
His mother was born in Hamburg and his paternal grandparents ulcers Armenian immigrants.
- Jump up^ Alexis Ohanian (March 29, 2012), 2001 Howard High Student Address , retrieved December 16, 2016
- Jump up^ “How Founding Reddit Got Me Through The Hardest Part Of My Life – Business Insider” . Articles.businessinsider.com. August 3, 2010 . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “How Y Combinator Helped Shape Reddit” . Businessweek.com. 2007-09-26 . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Martin, Erik (September 6, 2011). “what’s new on reddit: Independence”. Blog.reddit . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ https://web.archive.org/web/20120201160259/http://breadpig.com/about/. Archived from the original on February 1, 2012 . Retrieved February 15, 2012 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ Alexis Ohanian. “Alexis Ohanian: How to make a splash in social media – TED Talk – TED.com” . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian Gains Perspective in Yerevan” . AYFWest. 11 May 2010 . Retrieved 10 November 2016 .
- Jump up^ “About” . Hipmunk . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian To Join Y Combinator” . TechCrunch.com. September 1, 2010 . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Initialized Capital raises $ 115 million voor zijn third fund” . VentureBeat . Retrieved January 16, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “About Us” . Initialized Capital . Retrieved January 16, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Google PageRank for Investors” . CB Insights – Blog . 2014-07-06 . Retrieved 2017-01-10 .
- Jump up^ Alexis Ohanian SOPA Protest.m4v . YouTube . January 18, 2012 . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Lindsey Hoshaw (October 23, 2012). “In the Midwest, Reddit FINDS a thriving startup culture” . Forbes . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Internet’s March On Washington” . BuzzFeed . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Collier, Kevin. “The top 10 Most Influential Internet rights Activists in 2012” . The Daily Dot . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Andy Greenberg. “How Reddit’s Alexis Ohanian Became The Mayor Of The Internet” . Forbes . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Carr, Austin (2012-12-11). “Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian Taps Kickstarter And The Chambers Brothers To Prove Music Industry Wrong | Fast Company | Business + Innovation” . Fastcompany.com . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Black Girls Code]” . Tilt.com . Tilt.com . Retrieved August 25, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Save Net Neutrality: Billboard in FCC’s Backyard” . Tilt.com . Retrieved August 22, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Williams Engaged to Reddit Founder Alexis Ohanian “, The New York Times , December 29, 2016.
- Jump up^ Barrett, Victoria (January 19, 2011). “30 Under 30 – Technology – Forbes” . Forbes . Retrieved February 9, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Barrett, Victoria and Connie Guglielmo (January 17, 2012). “30 Under 30 – Tech – Forbes” . Forbes . Retrieved February 9, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Agostino, Brita (April 16, 2013). “From Zuck to Musk: The Champions of Innovation in Portraits” . Wired . Retrieved February 9, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian – Measure Crain’s New York Business Class of 2015 40 under 40” . www.crainsnewyork.com . Retrieved January 16, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian: Latest News, Business, Videos, Photos on Fast Company” . Fast Company . Retrieved 2017-01-28 .
- Jump up^ Lynch, Brian; Swearingen, Courtnie (2015-07-08). “Why We Shut Down Reddit’s” Ask Me Anything “Forum” . The New York Times . ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved 2017-01-08 .
- Jump up^ Roettgers, Janko (July 10, 2015). “Ellen Pao Out At Reddit, Co-Founder Takes Over As CEO” . Variety . Retrieved July 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Victoria Barret. “Alexis Ohanian, CEO Breadpig 28 – In Photos: 30 Under 30: Technology” . Forbes . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Without Their Permission” . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Best-Selling Books: Week Ended Oct. 6 – WSJ” . WSJ . 10 October 2013 . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Without Their Permission – Book Tour Dates” . Retrieved June 13, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “blog.reddit – what’s new on reddit: I’m putting the reddit alien on a bus and doing a 150 stop 77 lecture, 5 month long tour for Internet entrepreneurship (let’s hang out)” . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Small Empires” . Vox Media . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Small Empires – Season 2 Trailer” . Youtube.
- Jump up^ “NYRD Radio” . NYRD Radio . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian Wants to Answer Your Toughest Startup Questions – Inc.com” . Inc.com . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Episode 0 – The Story of you / youngluck (Dante Orpilla) upvoted” . Reddit. January 8, 2015 . Retrieved February 9, 2015 .
- Jump up^ ABC News. ” ‘ This Week’: Internet Privacy” . ABC News . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Reddit co-founder talks Boston bombing Apology, appeal or social media site” . CBS News . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “New York vs. Silicon Valley tech scene” . Video.cnbc.com . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Breaking News Videos, Story Video and Show Clips – CNN.com” . CNN . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Morning Joe – Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski & Willie Geist on msnbc” . MSNBC . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian” . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian on” Without Permission hun ‘ ‘ . Bloomberg.com . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “PRESS Pass: Alexis Ohanian” . NBCNews.com . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Schulman, Michael (November 22, 2013). “Founder of Reddit and the Internet’s Own Cheerleader” . The New York Times . Retrieved June 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Gautham Nagesh (April 30, 2014). “Internet Users Mobilize as FCC préparés Net Neutrality Plan” . WSJ . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexis Ohanian: Reddit co-founder, author Without Their Permission” . YouTube . January 23, 2014 . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian Talks About His New Book” . TIME.com . October 1, 2013 . Retrieved June 14, 2015 .