Alex Steffen (born c. 1968)   is an American Futurist  who writes and speaks about sustainability and the future of the planet.
From 2003-2010, Steffen was Executive Editor at the website Worldchanging . Worldchanging practiced “solutions-based journalism.” The nonprofit announced the goal or zijn work was to highlight new solutions to what the editorial team saw as the planet’s most pres sing problems, Rather dan to spread news or Those problems or critiques or hun Causes.
The site won or been nominated for a number of awards and great prizes, including: 2005 won the Utne Independent Press Award; 2006 finalist for a Webby for Best Blog; 2007 finalist for a Webby for Best Magazine, as well as for Bloggie awards for Best Group Weblog and Best Writing for a Weblog; won the Green Prize for Sustainable Literature voor zijn book; won Organic Design Award; Prix Ars Electronica nominee; 2008 named a Webby Official Honoree.
In November 2006, Steffen published a survey of global innovation, Worldchanging: A User’s Guide for the 21st Century ( ISBN 978-0810930957 ) with a Foreword by Al Gore , design by Stefan Sagmeister and an introduction by Bruce Sterling . A new, updated edition, with a Foreword by Van Jones and an introduction by Bill McKibben , was published in 2011.
In 2012, Steffen released Carbon Zero: Imagining Cities That Can Save the Planet ,  a book welke Explored the innovations and policy changes a North American city mention anything need to do to Become carbon neutral.
In 2013, he became “Planetary Futurist in Residence” at the design company IDEO . 
Steffen is a frequent public speaker and has spoken at TED ,  Poptech, Design Indaba , Amsterdam’s PicNic, The Royal Geographical Society  and New Delhi’s Doors of Perception.  As well as keynote addresses at industry events like the AIGA  and IDSA  national conferences, O’Reilly’s Emerging Technologies (eTech),  FOO Camp and the Business Expo Bright Green hero prolongation the Copenhagen Climate Summit.  Steffen has keynoted three différent South by Southwest conference (SxSW).   Steffen has ook spoken at universities waaronder Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Stanford and the London School of Economics.  
- Jump up^ Cordova, Kristin (November 9, 2009). “Spotlight On: Alex Steffen” . Seattle with .
Alex Steffen … the 41-year-old
- Jump up^ Williams, Alex (April 6, 2008). “Duck and Cover: It’s the New Survivalism” . The New York Times .
Alex Steffen, the executive editor or www.worldchanging.com … Mr. Steffen, 40
- Jump up^ Rachlin, Natalia (2009-12-08). “Trade Fair Offers Ideas to Combat Climate Change” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2010-04-23 .
- Jump up^ “How cities kan lead the climate fight: Introducing Alex Steffen’s’ Climate Zero ‘ ‘ . Grist .
- Jump up^ “Alex Steffen Speaker Profile at The Lavin Agency” . thelavinagency.com .
- Jump up^ “Alex Steffen sees a sustainable future | Video on” . Ted.com . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Purt, Jenny (October 13, 2011). “MIC: Guardian Sustainable Business” . The Guardian . London.
- Jump up^ “Bright Green: Notes from the Road: Design Indaba and Doors of Perception” . Worldchanging. March 19, 2007 . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “AIGA Design Conference 2007” . Designconference2007.aiga.org . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “designBytes: 30/10/06 | Industrial Designers Society of America” . IDSA . Retrieved 2012-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “ETech 2009: Sustaining the American Family – O’Reilly Conferences” . En.oreilly.com . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Technologies for Sustainable Growth – Bright GreenProduktside – DI – Organisation for erhvervslivet” . Brightgreen.dk. April 28, 2009 . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Alex Steffen and Bruce Sterling | South by Southwest Interactive 2005 ‘ . Itc.conversationsnetwork.org. March 15, 2005 . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Alex Steffen” . Sxsw Eco . Retrieved 2012-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “EAST News | Sustainability Leaders Blog” . Yalesustainabilityleaders.wordpress.com . Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Hidden Future of Cities – Video and audio – News and media – Home” . .lse.ac.uk . Retrieved 2012-03-10 .