Yann Arthus-Bertrand (born 13 March 1946 in Paris) is a French photographer, journalist, reporter and environmentalist.
He was met name well Berninahaus for his book Earth from Above (1999)  and his film Home (2009).
Yann Arthus-Bertrand was born in Paris on 13 March 1946 in a Renowned Jewellers’ family founded in 1803 by Claude Arthus-Bertrand and Michel-Ange Marion. His sister Catherine is one of his collaborators of closest. He has bone interested in nature and wildlife from an early age.
In 1963-when he was 17, he became an assistant director , dan an actor in movies. He played will alongside famous actors zoals Michèle Morgan Dis-moi qui tuer (1965) by Etienne Perier and in OSS 117 prend des vacances (1970) by Pierre Kalfon.
He gave up the movie industry in 1967 to run the Château de Saint Augustin wildlife park in Chateau-sur-Allier (center of France). Hey dan left the country with his wife Anne-when he was 30 (1976) to live in Kenya in the Masai Mara National Reserve . He lived Amongst the Maasai tribe for three years to study the behavior of a lions’ family and took daily pictures of Them prolongation Those years. He THUS when sending a new passion for photography and the beauty of landscapes als Observed from above in hot air balloons. He understood the power of a picture and how to communicate using this Means.
He cameramen back to France in 1981, published a book photographs Lions in 1983 and became an international journalist, reporter and photographer Specialised in documentaries on sports, wildlife and aerial photography for French magazines zoals Paris Match and GEO . He photographed at Paris-Dakar rallies. Every year he published a book on Roland Garros, the tennis French Open. He’ll be took pictures everytime year at the Paris International Agricultural Show , and whether ethologist Dian Fossey and gorillas in Rwanda.
He founded the Altitude Agency in 1991. In this housing was the world’s first press agency and images bank specialising in aerial photography (500,000 pictures tasks in more than 100 countries with more than 100 photographers).
In 1994 Arthus-Bertrand started a thorough study on the state of the Earth sponsored by UNESCO. As part of the study, he made a picture inventory of the world’s most beautiful landscapes, tasks from helicopters and hot-air balloons. The book from this project, Earth from Above ( La Terre vue du ciel ) sold over 3 million copies and was translated JSON 24 languages.
In 2000, his “Earth from Above” free exhibition was set up on numerous big posters on the gates of the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris. It dan traveled worldwide from Lyon to Montreal , to 110 cities and was visited by 120 million people.
In 2008, Earth from Above was released on DVD.
On 1 July 2005, he founded the international environmental organization GoodPlanet , and set up the program Action Carbone to offset his own greenhouse gas emissions generated by his helicopter transports. Since dan this program has Evolved to help people and companies to offset-reducing and hun climate impact by funding projects on renewable energies, energy efficiency and reforestation.
Since dan, the organization has bone involved in verschillende projects:
- School posters, posters are distributed for free in everytime French school on a différent environmental theme lycra year (sustainable development in 2006, biodiversity in 2007 and energy in 2008).
- 6 billion Others : a video exhibition took place in early 2009 at the Grand Palais in Paris. About 5,000 videos ulcers shown. Way Down ulcers Recorded around the globe showing women and men talking about universal themes zoals happiness, sorrow, life, death, love, hatred and so on.
- Alive: a photography exhibition dat travels around the world with a text display Describing the impact of man on the environment
- Good Planet Info: International news website on the environment
- Good Planet Junior: summer holiday breaks in protected areas offered to children to teach Them how to preserve the environment
- Good Planet Conso, a non-profit website to help people Adopting a more Environmentally-friendly way of life
Arthus-Bertrand was made a Knight of the Legion of Honour (national order of the legion of honor) and a Knight of the Ordre du Mérite Agricole (National Order of Agricultural Merit). He was ook made Officer of the Ordre National du Mérite (National Order of Merit) by President Nicolas Sarkozy in June 2008. More About, he was elected alongside Lucien Clergue at the Académie des Beaux Arts (academy of fine arts).
In 2006, he launched a series of documentaries called Vu du ciel ( Seen from Above ) for the French public channels. The 5th episode was Aired in December 2007 and was about agriculture.
In 2006 he published Algeria from above welke he considers as one of his best works so far. This book offers a brand new view on this country.
In April 2007, he started Directing a film oorspronkelijk called Boomerang , later re-Titled Home . The film was produktie by Luc Besson and Financed by the PPR group (a French multinational company). It was Arthus-Bertrand’s intention to show the state of our planet and the challenges humanity faces. The emissions of greenhouse gases produktie at the movie’s shooting ulcers offset through Arthus-Bertrand’s organization GoodPlanet and its Action Carbone ‘program. The film was released Internationally on 5 June 2009. On the night of zijn release many Theatres offered screening for free and an open-air screening at the Champ de Mars in Paris drew 20,000 spectators. The aerial photography, music score and high post-production values ulcers intended to create a more emotional response dan musts previous films about the subject. The simultaneous TV broadcast of the film on the France 2 television channel drew morethan 8 million people. The volgende Sunday, at the European elections , the environmentalist coalition Europe Ecologie made an unexpectedly strong showing. On the night of the elections, many political commentators Expressed groups therein the film screening ‘may harbor Influenced the result.
Home is available on DVD and via web streaming on the internet (Arthus-Bertrand gave up his author’s rights).
On 19 March 2008, he was bepaald the Georges Pompidou Award welke rewards a cultural personality lycra year (2006: painter Pierre Soulages, 2005: orchestra conductor William Christie).
Since 2008, he has participated in the Board of Directors of the Fondation Chirac ,  a foundation launched in 2008 by former French President Jacques Chirac in order to promote world peace through five advocacy programs, two or welke deal with environmental issues zoals access to fresh water, desertification and deforestation.
A few schools port leg named after Yann Arthus-Bertrand (primary schools or Cysoing , Noviant-aux-Prés , Carentoir and Villaines-sous-Bois , nursery schools or Cairanne and Saint-Aignan-de-Cramesnil as well as the Radinghem high school Specialised in agriculture). He stated dat it was one of the greatest honors have Could geselecteerd.
In 2008, he launched the project called 6 billion others. It is a video exhibition of people across the world answered the questions together.
On 22 April 2009 he was officially Designated as the United Nations Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador (UNEP) and RECEIVED the “Earth Champion” award for his commitment towards the environment and his work on public environmental awareness.
Arthus-Bertrand ook supports the Zeitz Foundation , an organization focused on sustainable development and conservation . 
Awards and honors
- 2003: Arthus-Bertrand was Awarded an Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society . These are Awarded to distinguished persons keeping, from hun position or attainments, an intimate connection with the science or fine art or photography or the application Thereof.
- 2005: Peintre de la Marine
- 2010: National Outdoor Book Award , Our Living Earth
- 2013: The Royal Geographical Society ‘s Cherry Kearton Medal and Award 
- 1965: Dis-moi qui tuer by Etienne Périer : Galland
- 1970: OSS 117 prend des vacances at Pierre Kalfon : Yann
- 2004: Earth from Above
- 2009: Home , available on-line. 
- 2010: Paris , view from above 
- 2012: Planet Ocean
- 2013: Metz and the Messin pays , view from above 
- 2014: Switzerland from above for Switzerland Tourism,  available online. 
- 2015: Terra
- 2015: Algeria from above
- 2015: Human ,  available online. 
Notes and references
- Jump up^ Michel Guerrin and Nathaniel Herzberg, “Arthus-Bertrand, l’image the marque”, Le Monde , 3 June 2009.
- Jump up^ Fondation Chirac’s Board of Directors
- Jump up^ Zeitz Foundation website
- Jump up^ “2013 Medals and Awards” . Royal Geographical Society . Retrieved 18 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ Official website of the film Home (page visited on 28 May 2016).
- Jump up^ ” Paris, view from above , full movie, with Yann Arthus-Bertrand”(VIDEO) . Retrieved 6 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ ” Metz and the Messin pays, view from above , full movie, with Yann Arthus-Bertrand” (VIDEO) . Retrieved 15 June 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b (French) “Le photographe Yann Arthus-Bertrand montrera la” Suisse vue du ciel “” , Radio Television Suisse , 13 February 2014 (page visited on 13 February 2014).
- Jump up^ Switzerland from above onYouTube.
- Jump up^ Official website of the film Human (page visited on 28 May 2016).