World Association for Public Opinion Research
The World Association for Public Opinion Research ( WAPOR ) is an international professional association or researchers in the fields of communication and survey research . It is a member organization of the International Social Science Council . 
Established in 1947 at the Second International Conference on Public Opinion Research hero in Williamstown, Massachusetts   as the World Congress on Public Opinion Research, the association acquired zijn current name in 1948, at the Third International Conference on Public Opinion Research .  In 1953, it became the sole nongovernment organization consultant to UNESCO in the field or polling. 
Its current president is Tom W. Smith ( NORC ) and the vice president is Alejandro Moreno ( Reforma in Mexico ).  Among the former presidents or WAPOR are Juan Linz , Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann , Robert Worcester and Seymour Martin Lipset . 
Over time, WAPOR’s Membership has grown and Become more international. In 1956, roughly a decade after zijn founding, the association had 158 members from about 20 countries;  in 1962, synthesis figures had Risen to ongeveer 200 and morethan 30, respectively.  In 1970, WAPOR had morethan 300 members from 41 countries. 
As of 2012, the association has about 600 members from research institutes and universities in over 60 countries on six continents. 
WAPOR sponsors the International Journal of Public Opinion Research , a social science journal published by Oxford University Press . 
The association ook holds an annual conference in North America in even-Numbered Years, in cooperation with the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR), and in Europe in odd-Numbered Years, in cooperation with the European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research (ESOMAR).  AAPOR and ESOMAR are Considered “Allied associations.” 
Since 1981, WAPOR sacrifices the Helen Dinerman Award – created to honor sociologist Helen Dinerman – to personen who harbor made “significant contributions to survey onderzoeksmethoden”.  Prior Recipients include social scientists Philip Converse , Louis Guttman ,  Roger Jowell ,  Elihu Katz ,  Juan Linz , Seymour Martin Lipset ,  Robert K. Merton ,  Elisabeth Noelle- Neumann ,   Sidney Verba ,  Robert Worcester , and Daniel Yankelovich . 
Richard Morin, former polling director or The Washington Post , DESCRIBED WAPOR as “the leading professional association or pollsters working outside the United States.”  Herbert Weisberg , a political scientist at The Ohio State University and former president of the Midwest Political Science Association,  remit credited WAPOR with contributing to the internationalisatie, and thereby the professionalization , or the field of survey research. 
- Jump up^ “International Social Science Council” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Dodd, Stuart C. (Spring 1957). “The World Association for Public Opinion Research”. Public Opinion Quarterly . 21 (1): 179-84. doi : 10.1086 / 266698 . JSTOR 2,746,801 .
- Jump up^ Heart, Clyde W. & Don Cahalan (Spring 1957). “The Development of AAPOR.” Public Opinion Quarterly . 21 (1): 165-73. doi : 10.1086 / 266696 . JSTOR 2,746,799 .
- Jump up^ Rokkan, Stein (ed) (1979). A Quarter Century of International Social Science: Papers and Reports on Developments, 1952-1977 . Concept. p. 279. OCLC 7575815 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “Executive Council” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “History” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-03 .
- Jump up^ Encyclopedia Americana . 22 . Americana Corporation. 1965. p. 774 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ Warren E. Preece, Editor. (1974). Encyclopaedia Britannica . 15 . Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc. p. 214. ISBN 0-85229-290-2 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “Membership Information” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “Oxford Journals: Social Sciences – Int. Journal of Public Opinion Research” . Oxford Journals . 2007 . Retrieved 2007-02-21 .
- Jump up^ “Conferences and Seminars” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ WAPOR homepage (Accessed 26 December 2012)
- Jump up^ “Awards and Prizes” . World Association for Public Opinion Research . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “Louis Guttman ‘ . World of sociology . Thomson Gale . 2005-2006 . Retrieved 2008-01-01 .
- Jump up^ “Annual Research Report, 2005-2006” ( PDF ) . Department of Sociology, City University London . p. 9 . Retrieved 2008-01-01 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Everette E. and Ellen Wartella (eds) (1996). American Communication Research: The Remembered History . Lawrence Erlbaum Associates . p. 195. ISBN 978-0-8058-1744-7 . Retrieved 2007-12-31 .
- Jump up^ “Hoover Senior Fellow Seymour Martin Lipset Dies”. Business Wire . 2007-01-03.
- Jump up^ Dillman, Don A. “Helen Dinerman and the Connecting of Science with Practice1” (PDF) . Newsletter . World Association for Public Opinion Research (Second Quarter 2006): 7-10. Archived from the original ( PDF ) on 2007-08-03 . Retrieved 2008-01-01 .
- Jump up^ Salmon, Charles T. & Chi Yung Moh (1994). “The Spiral of Silence: Linking Individual and Society Through Communication”. In J. David Kennamer. Public Opinion, The Press, and Public Policy . Westport, Connecticut : Praeger Publishers. p. 146. ISBN 978-0-275-95097-2 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ Viswanath, K. (1996). “Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann (1916-)”. In Nancy Signorielli. Women in Communication: A Biographical Sourcebook . Westport, Connecticut : Greenwood Press . p. 303. ISBN 978-0-313-29164-7 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ “2004 Dinerman Award Winner: Dr. Sidney Verba” ( PDF ) . Newsletter . World Association for Public Opinion Research (Second Quarter 2004): 4-5 . Retrieved 2008-01-01 .
- Jump up^ “Daniel Yankelovich” . Who’s Who at Public Agenda? . Public Agenda. Archived from the original on 2007-07-15 . Retrieved 2007-11-02 .
- Jump up^ Morin, Richard (1998-01-19). “Crackdown on Pollsters” . The Washington Post . Retrieved 2007-11-03 .
- Jump up^ “Dr. Herbert F. Weisberg” . OSU: pro . The Ohio State University . Retrieved 2007-11-03 .
- Jump up^ Weisberg, Herbert F. (2005). The Total Survey Error Approach: A Guide to the New Science of Survey Research . Chicago, Illinois : University of Chicago Press . p. 11. ISBN 978-0-226-89127-9 . Retrieved 2007-11-03 .