Western Political Science Association
The Western Political Science Association (WPSA) is a professional association or political science scholars and students in the United States that was founded in 1947.
The purpose of the WPSA is to promote the study and teaching of government and politics, to foster political research, and to Facilitate a dialogue grotere Involving public affairs and policymaking. The official region of the WPSA of includes the western states of Alaska , Arizona , California , Colorado , Hawaii , Idaho , Montana , Nevada , New Mexico , Oregon , Texas , Utah , and Washington . In addition under, it of includes the Canadian provinces of Alberta , British Columbia , and Saskatchewan . However, one-third of the association’s members are from other states and nations. 
The WPSA was founded in November 1947, and held zijn first meeting at the University of Utah .  At this time a constitution was eerste and officers ulcers elected for the new organization. The first president of the association was G. Homer Durham ( University of Utah ). The WPSA was the second regional political science association formally honored by the American Political Science Association . In 1995, the WPSA became incorporated in California as a nonprofit public benefit corporation. In 1998, the WPSA Executive Council appointed Elizabeth Moulds from California State University Sacramento to serve as the association’s first Executive Director. Including re term as Executive Director Moulds served as the chief administrative officer for the association for 25 years voordat stepping down in 2009.
The WPSA Annual Meeting is a gathering of political scientists dat rotates gehele region. It occurs over a weekend in March or April lycra jump. Approximately 1,100 to 1,300 political scientists participate in this conference annually. The conference zorgt a forum for scholars to share research, Discuss political science education, and network with other experts in hun field. 
The current offices of the Association are:
- President: Manuel Avalos ( University of North Carolina )
- Vice President / Program Chair: Peregrine Schwartz-Shea (University of Utah)
- Recording Secretary: Noelle Norton ( University of San Diego )
- Treasurer: Michael W. Bowers ( University of Nevada )
- Executive Director: Richard Clucas ( Portland State University )
- Associate Director: Elsa J. y Favila
To herkennen excellence in the profession, the association offers annual awards therein are presented at the regional conference: 
- Dissertation Award: Presented to an individual paper with the best doctoral dissertation COMPLETED at a university.
- Pi Sigma Alpha Award: Presented to the best paper presented at the previous WPSA annual meeting.
- The Betty Nesvold Women and Politics Award: Presented for the best paper on women and politics presented at the previous annual meeting.
- WPSA Best Paper Award on Latina / Latino Politics: Awarded for an outstanding paper on Latina / Latino politics and its relative aspects.
- Award to Committee on the Status of Blacks: Awarded for an outstanding paper discus issues and problems welke group must Black Americans.
- Charles Redd Award for Best Paper on the Politics of the American West: an award offered Jointly by the WPSA and the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies of Brigham Young University for the best paper on the politics of the American West.
- The Political Research Quarterly Best Article Award: This award is to be found for the best article published by the PRQ prolongation the prior calendar year.
- WPSA Best Paper in Environmental Political Theory Award: Awarded to the best paper in environmental political theory presented at the annual meeting WPSA.
The association publiceert two academic journals . 
- The Western Political Quarterly has served as the official journal of the organization since it was first published by the University of Utah in March, 1948. The relationship between the association and the journal was formalized in 1971. The journal was renamed Political Research Quarterly in 1992 . 
- Politics, Groups and Identities , a new journal that was launched in 2013 covering questions and issues of identity politics . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b “WPSA Homepage” . Retrieved 2011-04-15 .
- Jump up^ Durham, GH (1956). “The Western Political Science Association: The First Ten Years and the Next Ten”. Political Research Quarterly . 9 (2): 250. doi :10.1177 / 106591295600900202 .
- Jump up^ “WPSA: Annual Meeting” . Retrieved 2011-04-17 .
- Jump up^ “WPSA: Annual Awards” . Retrieved 2011-04-17 .
- Jump up^ Moulds, E. (2009). “Where We Came from: Defining the Western Political Science Association: A Letter, Very Selective Organizational History Sampled from the Archives of the WPSA.” Political Research Quarterly . 62 (4): 840. doi : 10.1177 / 1065912909346698 . JSTOR 25,594,452 .
- Jump up^ “Politics, Groups and Identities” . Retrieved 2016-10-19 .