Vinton Gray Cerf  ForMemRS ,  ( / s ɜːr f / ; born June 23, 1943) is an American Internet pioneer , who is honored as one of  ” the fathers of the Internet “, [7 ] sharing this title with TCP / IP co-inventor Bob Kahn .   His contributions port leg acknowledged and lauded, repeatedly, with honorary doctorates and awards therein include the National Medal of Technology ,  the Turing Award ,  the Presidential Medal of Freedom ,  the Marconi Prize and Membership in the National Academy of Engineering .
In the early days, Cerf was a manager for the United States’ Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) funding various groups to developement TCP / IP technology. When the Internet Began to transition to a commercial opportunity prolongation the late 1980s, [ citation needed ] Cerf moved to MCI where he was instrumental in the development of the first commercial email system ( MCI Mail ) connected to the Internet.
Cerf was instrumental in the funding and formation of ICANN from the start. He waited in the wings for a year voordat have stepped forward to join the ICANN Board, Eventually Becoming chairman. He was elected as the president of the Association for Computing Machinery in May 2012,  and in August 2013 he joined the Council on Cybersecurity’s Board of Advisors. 
Cerf is active in many organizations dat are working to help the Internet deliver humanitarian value in our world today. He is supportive of innovative projects dat are Experimenting with new approaches to global problems, zoals the digital divide, the gender gap, and the changing nature of jobs. Cerf is ook Berninahaus for his sartorial style, Typically Appearing in three-piece suit -a Rarity in an industry Berninahaus voor zijn casual dress norms.  
Life and career
Cerf was born in New Haven, Connecticut , the sun or Muriel (nee Gray), a Housewife, and Vinton Cerf Thruston , an Aerospace executive.   Cerf went to Van Nuys High School in California Along with Jon Postel and Steve Crocker ; he wrote the former’s Obituary. Both ulcers’ll be instrumental in the creation of the Internet. Whilst in high school, Cerf worked at Rocketdyne on the Apollo program, zoals helping in to write statistical analysis software for the non-destructive testing of the F-1 engines .  Cerf’s first job after Obtaining his BS degree in mathematics from Stanford University was at IBM , where he worked for two years as a systems engineer Supporting QUIKTRAN .  He left IBM to attend graduate school at UCLA where he earned his master’s degree in 1970 and his PhD degree in 1972.   During his graduate student years, he studied under Professor Gerald Estrin , worked in Professor Leonard Kleinrock ‘s data packet networking group therein connected the first two nodes of the ARPANET ,  the predecessor  to the Internet, and “Contributed to a host-to-host protocol” for the ARPANET.  While at UCLA , he’ll be with Bob Kahn , who was working on the ARPANET hardware architectures.  After Receiving his doctorate, Cerf became an assistant professor at Stanford University from 1972 to 1976, where he conducted research on packet network interconnection protocols and co-designed the DoD TCP / IP protocol suite with Kahn.  Cerf-then moved to DARPA in 1976, where he stayed Until 1982.
As vice president MCI Digital Information Services from 1982 to 1986, Cerf led the engineering of MCI Mail , the first commercial email service to be connected to the Internet. In 1986, he joined Bob Kahn at the Corporation for National Research Initiatives as zijn vice president, working with Kahn on Digital Libraries, Knowledge Robots, and gigabit speed networks. It was prolongation this time, in 1992, dat he and Kahn, onder Vodafone, the founded the Internet Society (ISOC) to bieden leadership in education, policy and standards related to the Internet. Cerf served as the first president of ISOC. Cerf Rejoined MCI prolongation in 1994 and served as Senior Vice President of Technology Strategy. In this role, he helped to guide corporate strategy development from a technical perspective. Previously, he served as MCI’s senior vice president of Architecture and Technology, leading a team of architects and engineers to design advanced networking frameworks, zoals Internet-based solutions for Delivering a combination of data, information, voice and video services for business and consumer use .
During 1997, Cerf joined the Board of Trustees of Gallaudet University ; a university for the education of the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.  Cerf himself is hard of hearing.  He has’ll be served on the university’s Board of Associates. 
Cerf, as leader of MCI’s Internet business, criticized due to MCI’s role was in Providing the IP addresses-used at Send-Safe.com, a vendor or spam true dat uses a botnet in order to send spam. MCI refused to terminate the spam ware vendor.   At the time, SpamHaus ook listed MCI as the ISP with the musts SpamHaus Blocklist listings. 
Cerf has worked for Google as a Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist since October 2005.  In this function he has Become well Berninahaus for his predictions on how technology will affect future society, Encompassing zoals areas artificial intelligence , environmentalism, the advent or IPv6 and the transformation of the television industry and its delivery model. 
Since 2010, Cerf has served as a Commissioner for the Broadband Commission for Digital Development , a UN body welke AIMS to make broadband Internet technologies more widely available.
Cerf joined the board of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) in 1999, and served Until November 2007.  He was chairman from November 2000 to his departure from the Board.
Cerf was a member of Bulgarian President Georgi Parvanov ‘s IT Advisory Council (from March 2002 – January 2012). He is ook a member of the Advisory Board of Eurasia Group , the political risk consultancy. 
Cerf have died working on the Interplanetary Internet , together with NASA ‘s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and other NASA laboratories. It will be a new standard to communicate from planet to planet, using radio / laser communications dat are tolerant or signal degradations waaronder variable delay and Disruption caused, for example, at Celestial motion. 
On February 7, 2006, Cerf testified voordat the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation ‘s hearing on network neutrality . Speaking as Google’s Chief Internet Evangelist, Vint noted therein nearly the half of all consumers lacked meaningful choice in broadband providers and Expressed groups therein without network neutrality government regulation, broadband providers mention anything be loveable to use hun dominance to limit options for consumers and charge companies like Google for hun use of bandwidth. 
Cerf Currently Serves on the board of advisors of Scientists and Engineers for America , an organization focused on promoting sound science in American government.  He’ll be Serves on the advisory council of CRDF Global (Civilian Research and Development Foundation) and was on the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber Threats (IMPACT) International Advisory Board. 
Cerf is chairman of the board of trustees of ARIN , the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) or IP addresses for United States, Canada, and part of the Caribbean.  Until Fall 2015 Cerf chaired the board of directors or StopBadware , a nonprofit anti-malware organization dat started as a project at Harvard University’s Berkman Center for Internet & Society .   Cerf is on the board of advisors to The Liquid Information Company Ltd. of the UK, welke works to make the web more usefully interactive and welke has produktie the Mac OS X utility called ‘Liquid’.  Vint Cerf is a member of the CuriosityStream Advisory Board. 
During 2008 Cerf chaired the Internationalized domain names (IDNAbis) working group of the IETF .  In 2008, Cerf was a major Contender to be Designated the US’s first Chief Technology Officer at President Barack Obama .  Cerf is the co-chair of Campus Party Silicon Valley , the US edition of one of the Toilets technology festivals in the world, Along with Al Gore and Tim Berners-Lee .  From 2009 to 2011, Cerf was an elected member of the Governing Board of the Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP). SGIP is a public-private consortium Agent at NIST in 2009 and zorgt a forum for businesses and other stakeholder groups to participate in Coordinating and accelerating development of standards for the evolving Smart Grid.  Cerf was elected to a two-year term as President of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) beginning July 1, 2012.  On January 16, 2013, US President Barack Obama announced his intent to Appoint Cerf to the National Science Board . 
Cerf is ook onder the 15 members or governing council of International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad . 
In June 2016 his work with NASA lead to delay-tolerant networking being installed on the International Space Station with an aim towards Interplanetary Internet . 
Awards and receptacles
Cerf has RECEIVED a number of honorary doctorates, zoals doctorates, from the University of the Balearic Islands , ETHZ in Zurich, Switzerland, Capitol College , Gettysburg College , Yale University , George Mason University , Marymount University , Bethany College (Kansas), University of Pisa , University of Rovira and Virgili ( Tarragona , Spain), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute , Luleå University of Technology ( Sweden ), University of Twente ( Netherlands ), Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications , Tsinghua University (Beijing), Brooklyn Polytechnic , UPCT ( University of Cartagena, Spain), Zaragoza University (Spain), University of Reading (United Kingdom), Royal Roads University (Canada), MGIMO (Moscow State University of International Relations), Buenos Aires Institute of Technology (Argentina), Polytechnic University of Madrid , Keio University (Japan), University of South Australia (Australia), University of St. Andrews (Scotland), University of Pittsburgh and  Gallaudet University (United States). Other awards include:
- ACM Fellow (1994)
- Edward A. Dickson Alumnus of the Year Award from UCLA 
- Prince of Asturias Award for Science and Technology
- Fellow of the IEEE , 1988, “for contributions and leadership in the design, development, and application of internet protocols”
- Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery , 1994, for “vision and leadership in the design, implementation, evolution, and Dissemination of the TCP / IP protocol suite computer communication”
- Yuri Rubinsky Memorial Award , 1996
- SIGCOMM Award for “contributions to the Internet [tension] morethan 25 years, from development of the fundamentele TCP / IP protocols.” 
- Certificate of Merit from The Franklin Institute in 1996.
- In January 1997 he, Along with his partner Robert E. Kahn, Presented was with the National Medal of Technology by President Bill Clinton , “for customizing and sustaining development of Internet Protocols and Continuing to bieden leadership in the emerging industry or internetworking.”  
- He RECEIVED the Living Legend Medal from the Library of Congress in April 2000
- In 2000, he was made a Fellow of the Computer History Museum “for his contributions to computer architecture, operating systems, and software engineering.” 
- Cerf was selected as a Fellow of the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) in 2000.
- Cerf was Awarded the Award of Technology from the Telluride Tech Festival in 2002, turned known as the Tesla Festival since the world’s first AC hydro-power power plant was built in Telluride in 1891 by LL Nunn who PURCHASED the generator and plans from George Westinghouse and Tesla.
- Cerf and Kahn ulcers the winners of the Turing Award for 2004.  for hun “pioneering work on internetworking , zoals .. the Internet’s basic communications protocols .. and for inspired leadership in networking.” 
- In November 2005, Vinton Cerf and Kahn ulcers Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush for hun contributions to the creation of the Internet. 
- He and Robert Kahn ulcers inducted into tje National Inventors Hall of Fame in May 2006
- Vinton Cerf was Awarded the St. Cyril and Methodius in the Coat of Arms Order in July 2006 
- Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn ulcers lycra inducted as an Honorary Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication (STC) in May 2006
- He and Robert Kahn ulcers Awarded the Japan Prize in January 2008. 
- Cerf was inducted into tje Worshipful Company of Information Technologists and bepaald the Freedom of the City of London in April 2008.
- Cerf was Awarded an honorary Membership in the Yale Political Union after keynoting a lively debate on the subject “Resolved: Online Communities are real communities.” The motion passed. 
- In celebration of the five-year anniversary of YouTube have been selected as a guest curator at the site, and Chose the six videos on YouTube have found musts memorable. 
- In May 2011, he was Awarded an HPI Fellowship as “[…] a tribute to his work for a new medium welke Influenced the everyday life of our society like no other one.” 
- In September 2011 he was made a distinguished fellow of British Computer Society in recognition of his outstanding contribution to this club and service to the ADVANCEMENT of computing. 
- In 2012 he was inducted as a Pioneer withinto the Internet Hall of Fame 
- In 2013, Cerf was one of five Internet and Web pioneers Awarded the inaugural Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering . 
- In 2013, Cerf Presented the Bernard Price Memorial Lecture 
- In 2014, Cerf was Awarded the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana , 1st class for his role in invention It or TCP / IP with President of Estonia Toomas Hendrik Ilves 
- In 2014, Cerf was Awarded Officer of the French Legion of Honour [ citation needed ] 
- Cerf was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2016 
- Zero Text Length EDF Message ( RFC 13 , August 1969)
- IMP-IMP and HOST-HOST Control Links ( RFC 18 September 1969)
- ASCII format for Network Interchange ( RFC 20 , October 1969)
- Host Host control message formats ( RFC 22 , October 1969)
- Data transfer protocols ( RFC 163 , May 1971)
- PARRY encounters the DOCTOR ( RFC 439 , January 1973)
- ‘Twas the night voordat start-up ( RFC 968 , January 1985)
- Report of the second Ad Hoc Network Management Review Group , RFC 1109 , August 1989
- Internet Activities Board , RFC 1120 , September 1989
- Thoughts on the National Research and Education Network , RFC 1167 , July 1990
- Networks , Scientific American Special Issue on Communications, Computers, and Networks , September 1991
- Guidelines for Internet Measurement Activities , October 1991
- A VIEW FROM THE 21ST CENTURY , RFC 1607 , April 1, 1994
- An Agreement tussen the Internet Society and Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the Matter of ONC RPC and XDR Protocols , RFC 1790 , April 1995
- I REMEMBER IANA , RFC 2468 , October 17, 1998
- Memo from the Consortium for Slow Commotion Research (CSCR , RFC 1217 , April 1, 1999
- The Internet is for Everyone , RFC 3271 , April 2002
- Vinton Cerf, Robert Kahn, A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication ( IEEE Transactions on Communications, May 1974)
- Vinton Cerf, Y. Dalal, C. Sunshine, Specification of Internet Transmission Control Program ( RFC 675 , January 1974)
- Vinton Cerf, Jon Postel , Mail transition plan ( RFC 771 , September 1980)
- Vinton Cerf, KL Mills Explaining the role of Gosip , RFC 1169 , August 1990
- Clark, Chapin, Cerf, Braden, Hobby, Towards the Future Internet Architecture , RFC 1287 , December 1991
- Vinton Cerf et al., A Strategic Plan for Deploying an Internet X.500 Directory Service , RFC 1430 , February 1993
- Vinton Cerf & Bob Kahn , Al Gore and the Internet, 2000-09-28 
- Vinton Cerf et al., Internet Radio Communication System June 9, 2002, US Patent 6,418,138
- Vinton Cerf et al., System for Distributed Task Execution June 3, 2003, US Patent 6,574,628
- Vinton Cerf et al., Delay-Tolerant Networking Architecture (Informational Status) , RFC 4838 , April 2007
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i Cerf’s curriculum vitae as of February 2001 , attached to a transcript of his testimony dat month voordat the United States House Energy Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet , from ICANN ‘s website
- Jump up^ Gore Deserves Credit Internet, Some Say, a March 1999 Washington Post article
- ^ Jump up to:a b Cerf’s up at Google , from the Google Press Center
- ^ Jump up to:a b Cerf, Vinton (1972). Multiprocessors, semaphores, and a Graph Model of Computation (PhD thesis). University of California, Los Angeles. OCLC 4,433,713,032 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Anon (2016). “Dr. Vint Cerf ForMemRS” . London: Royal Society . Archived from the original on 2016-04-29. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org site where:
“All text published under the heading” Biography “on partner profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .” – Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived September 25, 2015)
- Jump up^ (seeInterview with Vinton Cerf, from a January 2006 article inGovernment Computer News), Cerf is willing to call himself one of the Internet fathers, CitingBob KahnandLeonard Kleinrockmn as being have Vodafone with Whom arnt share therein title.
- Jump up^ Cerf, VG (2009). “The day the Internet age Began”. Nature . 461 (7268): 1202-1203. doi : 10.1038 / 4611202a . PMID 19865146 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Turing Award, list or Recipients” . Awards.acm.org . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal” . Ieee.org. July 7, 2009 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Cerf profit Turing Award February 16, 2005
- ^ Jump up to:a b 2005 Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipients from the White House website
- Jump up^ ACM Elects Vint Cerf as Presidentfrom the ACM website
- Jump up^ “Advisory Board”, Council on Cybersecurity website. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Internet pioneer Vint Cerf looks to the future”, Todd Bishop,Seattle PI, July 23, 2007. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Jump up^ Ghosh, Pallab. “Google’s Vint Cerf WARNS or digital Dark Age ‘ ‘ . BBC News . BBC . Retrieved 13 February 2015 .
- Jump up^ Jerome Richard (September 18, 2000). “Lending An Ear – Health, Real People Stories” . People . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Vinton Gray Cerf Biography” . BookRags.com . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Wientjes, Greg (2011). Creative Genius in Technology: Principles Mentor from Life Stories of Geniuses and Visionaries of the Singularity . p. 93. ISBN 978-1463727505 .
- Jump up^ “UCLA School of Engineering Alumnus Chosen for Prestigious Turing Award” . UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science. Spring 2005.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Internet predecessor turns 30” . CNN. 1999-09-02. Archived from the original on July 25, 2008.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “INTERNET PIONEERS CERF AND KAHN TO RECEIVE ACM Turing AWARD” . ACM . 2005-02-16.
- Jump up^ Dr. Vinton G. Cerf Appointed to Gallaudet University’s Board of Trustees, from dat university’s website
- Jump up^ “Vinton Cerf – Father of the Internet, Vinton Cerf” . Deafness.about.com. August 28, 2010 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Board of Associates” . Gallaudet University . Retrieved April 3, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Socks the White House Cat (February 19, 2005). “Re: ACM ethics complaint Against Cerf – first draft” . Newsgroup : comp.org.acm . Retrieved June 9, 2014 .
- Jump up^ McWilliams, Brian (February 16, 2005). “Protests brewing Against Internet pioneer” . Spam Kings Blog . Retrieved June 9, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Socks the White House Cat (February 25, 2005). “ACM ethics complaint Against Cerf – first draft” . Newsgroup : comp.org.acm . Retrieved June 9, 2014 .
- Jump up^ The Daily Telegraph, August 2007
- Jump up^ “ICANN Board of Directors – Vinton G. Cerf” . Icann.org. February 14, 2011 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Eurasia Group” . Eurasia Group . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The InterPlaNetary Internet Project IPN Special Interest Group” . Ipnsig.org . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Testimony voordat the US Senate Committee on Commerce” (PDF) . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ SEA’s Board of Advisors. sefora.org
- Jump up^ “Govt red tape adds to security threats”, Vivian Yeo, ZDNet, October 12, 2009
- Jump up^ “ARIN Announces Newly elected Board of Trustees” . Arin.net . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Board of Directors” . StopBadware . Retrieved January 19, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Harvard’s Berkman Center and the Oxford Internet Institute Unveil StopBadware.org Backed by Google, Lenovo, Sun, Consumer Reports WebWatch Takes unpaid Special Advisor Role” . StopBadware. January 23, 2006 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Liquid Information Company” . Liquid.info . Retrieved July 1, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “CuriosityStream Advisory Board” . Retrieved 31 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ “IDNAbis WG” . Tools.ietf.org . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The 5 best jobs Obama has yet to fill – Craig Gordon and Ben Smith” . Politico.Com. December 4, 2008 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Daniel Ben-Horin (November 21, 2011). “The Kids Are Alright: Campus Party Silicon Valley Tech Festival Rocks NASA” . Huffington Post . Retrieved March 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Smart Grid Interoperability Panel Launched; Governing Board elected” . Retrieved November 19, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Elects Vint Cerf as President” . ACM . Retrieved May 25, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts” . Retrieved January 20, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Governing Council” . International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad . Retrieved April 18, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Mahoney, Erin (21 June 2016). “Space Internet Technology Debuts on the International Space Station” .
- Jump up^ , website news archive, load Accessed June 24, 2015
- Jump up^ “Vinton Cerf MS ’70, PhD ’72 | UCLA Alumni” . Alumni.ucla.edu . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “SIGCOMM Awards” . Sigcomm.org . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Office of Science and Technology Policy | The White House” . Ostp.gov . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “National Medals of Science and Technology Foundation” .
- Jump up^ “Vinton Cerf” . Computer History Museum . Retrieved 2013-05-23 .
- Jump up^ “ACM: Fellows Award / Vinton G. Cerf” . amturing.acm.org. June 4, 2011 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “ISOC-Bulgaria: IT delegation in Sofia” . Isoc.bg . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ 2008 (24th) Japan Prize Laureate [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ MINUTES OF THE FLOOR MEETING OF THE YALE POLITICAL UNION. Yale.edu, April 15, 2009
- Jump up^ FIVEYEAR. “Vint Cerf’s Top YouTube Videos” . Youtube . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Vinton G. Cerf, who developed together with Robert E. Kahn the TCP / IP protocol was Awarded as a HPI Fellow on May 25th 2011. The HPI award is a tribute to his work for a new medium welke Influenced the everyday life or our society like no other one. “ ” HPI Fellows & Guests ” . Retrieved 2011-05-27 .
- Jump up^ British Computer Society. “Vint Cerf named BCS Distinguished Fellow” . Retrieved September 28, 2011 .
- Jump up^ 2012 inductees,Internet Hall of Famewebsite. Last Accessed April 24, 2012
- Jump up^ “2013 Winners Announced”Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering
- Jump up^ “62ND Bernard Price Memorial Lecture” . South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE). September 5, 2013 . Retrieved 25 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Bearers of decorations – Vinton Gray Cerf” . Retrieved 25 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Vinton Cerf Appointed an Officer of the Legion of Honor” .
- Jump up^ Thomas C Greene (2000-10-02). “Just builders Kahn, Cerf recognise Al Gore: Grateful for the inventor’s genius” . The Register (UK) . Archived from the original on 2013-12-13 . Retrieved January 2, 2011 .