Vik Muniz ( Portuguese Pronunciation: [Vik Munis] ; born in 1961, São Paulo , Brazil )  is a Brazilian artist and photographer. Initially a sculptor, Muniz Grew interested with the Photographic representations of his work, Eventually focusing completely on photography . Primarily working in series, Muniz incorporates the use of quotidian objects zoals diamonds, sugar, thread, chocolate syrup and garbage in his practice to create bold, Ironic and of or in deceiving imagery, gleaned from the pages of pop culture and art history. His work has leg with zowel commercial success and critical Acclaim, and has bone exhibited worldwide.
In 2010, Muniz was featured in the documentary film Waste Land , directed by Lucy Walker , welke featured Muniz’s work on one of the world’s Toilets garbage dumps , Jardim Gramacho , on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro . The film was nominated to the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 83RD Academy Awards .  
At the age of 18, Muniz worked in advertising in Brazil, redesigning billboards for higher read ability. While on the way to his first black-tie gala, Muniz witnessed and Attempted to break up a street fight, where he was Accidentally shot in the leg by one of the Brawlers. He was paid by the shooter to not press charges, and-used the money to travel to New York.
After his arrival in New York in 1983, Muniz’s friend lent im a studio, and he started his career as a sculptor, welke resulted in his first solo exhibit in 1988.  In addition under to sculpting, Muniz Began Experimenting with drawing and photography , ultimately combine synthesis media in the series Sugar Children , welke was featured in the Museum of Modern Art ‘s New Photography 13 show, alongside Rineke Dijikstra , An-My Le , and Kunié Sugiura , in 1997.  in Sugar Children , Muniz photographed the families dat worked on sugar plantations on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts . Beginning with Polaroids or verschillende of the children or plantation workers, Muniz “drew” hun images by sprinkling sugar on black paper and rephotographed synthesis Compositions. 
Works and philosophy
Muniz is best known for recreating famous imagery from art history and pop culture with unexpected, everyday objects, and photographing them.   For example, Muniz’s Action Photo, After Hans Namuth (From Pictures of Chocolate) , a Cibachrome print is a Bosco Chocolate Syrup recreation or one or Hans Namuth ‘s photographs of Jackson Pollock in his studio.  The Monumental series Pictures of Cars (after Ruscha) is his social commentary of the car culture of Los Angeles Utilizing Ed Ruscha’s 60’s Pop Masterpieces rendered from car Ephemeral.
Muniz has ghosts or Wanting to make “color pictures dat TALKED about color and ook TALKED about the practical-simplification or zoals Impossible concepts”. He has spoken of an interest in making pictures that ‘Reveal hun process and material structure “, and describes himself as maintaining bone” a willing bystander in the middle of the shootout tussen structuralist and post-structuralist critique “. He cites the mosaics in a church in Ravenna as one of his Influences. 
Muniz says dat als have takes photographs, he intuitively searches for “a vantage point dat mention anything make the picture Identical to the ones in my head voordat I’d made the works”, so dat his photographs match Those mental images.  He sees photography as keeping “UN peace painting from zijn Verantwoordelijkheid to depict the world as fact.” 
- Vik Muniz: Clayton Days – Published by The Frick Art & Historical Center, 2000
- Vik Muniz: After Warhol – Published by Xippas Gallery, 2003
- Vik Muniz: Erotica – Published by Xippas Gallery, 2003
- Vik Muniz: Model Pictures – Published by The Menil Foundation, 2002
- Vik Muniz – Published by Galleria Cardi & Co, 2002
- Vik Muniz: Incomplete Work – Published by Edições Biblioteca Nacional, 2003
- Vik Muniz – Published by Xunta de Galicia / CGAC 2004
- Vik Muniz – Edited by Germano Celant, 2004
- Natura Pictrix: Interviews and Essays on Photography. – Published by Edgewise Press , Inc., 2003
- Vik Muniz – Published by Galleria Cardi & Co, 2005
- Reflex: A Vik Muniz Primer. – Published by Aperture, 2005
- VIK. – Published by Editions Aprazivel 2009
- Vik Muniz: Complete Works 1987 – 2009 – Published by Editions Capivara 2009
- Ed Ruscha, Vik Muniz and the Car Culture of Los Angeles – Published by J. Carter Tutwiler, 2011
- Vik Muniz: Everything So Far – Published by Capivara Editions, 2015
- Vik Muniz – Published by Prestel, 2016
- Making it real . Catalogue ed. Independent Incorporated, NY. ICI – Independent curators International, 1997 (traveling exhibition)
- Beyond the Edges. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY. 1998.
- Vik Muniz . Curated by Miguel Fernandez-Cid. Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art. Indianapolis, IN. February – March, 2003.
- Identity V . Curated by Hiroshi Minamishima. Nichido Contemporary Art. Tokyo, Japan. June 26 – July 25, 2005.
- L’Empire bresilien et ses photograhes: collections de la Bibliotheque National du Brésil et de L’Institute Moreira Salles. “L’horizon Perdu.” Musée d’Orsay, Paris. 2005.
- Robert Mapplethorpe. Curated by Vik Muniz . Fortes Vilaça Gallery, Sao Paulo, Brazil. March 4 – April 9, 2006.
- Haptic: Three Brazilian and Three Japanese Artists . Tokyo Wonder Site. Hongo, Tokyo, Japan. November 22, 2008 – January 12, 2009.
- Robert Mapplethorpe . Curated by Vik Muniz. Fortes Vilaça Gallery. São Paulo, Brazil. March 4 – April 9, 2009.
- Rio de Janeiro Art Week , Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. July 22 – 29, 2010.
- Artist’s Choice: Vik Muniz, Rebus . MoMA – Museum of Modern Art. New York, NY. January 11, 2010 – February 23, 2009.
- Buzz. Curated by Vik Muniz , Galeria Nara Roesler (Roesler Hotel # 21), São Paulo, Brazil. December 1, 2012 – February 16, 2013.
1998 – Best Photography Exhibition, Second Place: Vik Muniz: Seeing is believing. Awarded by The International Center of Photography and curated by Charles Stainback. [Citation needed] 1999 – Líderes Latinoamericanos para el Nuevo Milenio. CNN Time. NY. [Citation needed] 2005 – National Artist Award granted by the Anderson Ranch Arts Center, Aspen, Colorado.  2005 – Premio Villa de Madrid Fotografía “Kaulak” 2005, awarded by the Ayuntamiento de Madrid, Madrid, Spain. [Citation needed] 2007 – Society for News Design Annual Creative Competition Award of Excellence in the category of Magazine Cover Design for the cover or The New York Times Magazine.  2008 – Honored at City Arts’ 40th Anniversary sponsored by Dr. Miriam & Sheldon G. Adelson, Candia Fisher, Winston Fisher, and chaired by Jane Holzer. New York, NY.  2009 – Honored with the Premio Cidadão Carioca in 2009 by the State of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Honored with the Medalha da Inconfidência  by the governor or of Minas Gerais, Mr. Aécio Neves. Minas Gerais, Brazil, May 21. 2010 – Honored with the pt: Ordem do Ipiranga by the governor Jose Serra. São Paulo, Brazil, March 17.  2013 – Crystal Award by the World Economic Forum. Davos-Klosters, Switzerland.
Solo exhibitions (selected)
- 1989: Vik Muniz – Photographs. Stux Gallery , New York, NY.
- 1996: 92 Home Alone. Claudio Botello Arte, Turin, Italy. April – May.
- 1996: The Best of Life. Wooster Gardens, New York, NY.
- 1996: The Sugar Children. Tricia Collins Contemporary Art, New York, NY.
- 1998: Seeing is believing. International Center of Photography, New York, NY.
- 1999: Flora industrialist. Caisse des Depots et Cossignations, Paris, France. November 19 -December 23.
- 1999: Vik Muniz. Centre National de la Photographie, Paris, France. November 17 – January 10, 2000.
- 1999: Vik Muniz: Seeing is believing. Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, Arizona. June 26 – September 26.
- 2000 Vik Muniz. Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery, Saratoga Springs, NY.
- 2000 Foundation Huis Marseille, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2000 Musee de l’Elysee Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2000 Clayton Days. The Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. September 8-October 29.
- 2001: Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans, LA.
- 2001: MAM – Museu de Arte Moderna, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 2001: MAM – Museu de Arte Moderna, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2001: The Things Themselves: Pictures of Dust by Vik Muniz. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY.
- 2001: 49th Venice Biennial: Palazzo Fortuny , Venice, Italy.
- 2002 Reparte, CU Art Galleries, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado. January 17 – March 23.
- 2002 Vik Muniz: Model Pictures, The Menil Collection, Houston. February 22 – June 9.
- 2002 Laberints, Spai 13, Joan Miró Foundation, Barcelona, Spain. June 21 – July 28.
- 2003: Vik Muniz . Museu de Arte Contemporanea do Centro Dragão do Mar Ceara, Brazil.
- 2004: Retratos the Revista . Paço Imperial. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. August14 – September14.
- 2004: Vik Muniz. Museo d’Arte Contemporanea di Roma MACRO. Rome, Italy. September 27-January 6, 2004.
- 2004: Vik Muniz. Centro Galego de Arte Contemporanea-CGAC. Santiago de Compostela, Spain. January 18 – April 6, 2004.
- 2004: Vik Muniz. Irish Museum of Contemporary Art. Dublin, Ireland. March 31 – June 13.
- 2004: Piranesi Prisons. National Academy of Sciences. Washington DC August 1 – May 1, 2005.
- 2004: Retratos the Revista. Pinacoteca do Estado de Sao Paulo. São Paulo, Brazil. January 24-March 28.
- 2005: Vik Muniz. The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Philadelphia, PA. September 17 to November 20.
- 2006: Vik Muniz Reflex. Miami Art Museum. Miami, Florida. February 10 – May 28.
- 2006: Vik Muniz Reflex. Contemporary Art Museum. University of South Florida. Tampa, Florida. July 7 – October 7.
- 2006: Vik Muniz Reflex. Seattle Art Museum. Seattle, Washington. November 10 – January 14, 2007.
- 2007: Pictures of People. Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Gateshead, UK. January 31-April 15.
- 2007: Vik Muniz Reflex. PS 1 MoMA. Long Island City, NY. February 11 – May 7.
- 2007: Vik Muniz: A Survey. Victor Pinchuk Foundation. Kiev, Ukraine. April 13 – May 20.
- 2007: Muniz Remastered, Photographs from the West Collection. Museo de Las Americas, Denver, CO. October 4-December 20, 2008.
- 2007: “Imaginary Prisons, GB Piranesi and Vik Muniz.” National Gallery of Victoria. Melbourne, Australia. April 19 to September 30.
- 2007: The Beautiful Earth. Paço das Artes. São Paulo, Brazil. August 1 – October 7.
- 2007: Vik Muniz Reflex . Museum of Contemporary Art. San Diego, California. June 2 – September 9.
- 2007: Vik Muniz Reflex. Museum of Contemporary Art. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. October 4, 2007 – January 6, 2008.
- 2007: Vik Muniz. Moscow House of Photography. Manezh, Russia. November 1 – December 2.
- 2008: Vik Muniz Reflex . Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso. Mexico City, Mexico. March 11 – July 13.
- 2008: Vik Muniz: The Beautiful Earth . Tokyo Wonder Site. Tokyo, Japan. November 22 – March 1.
- 2009: Vik Muniz . Museu Oscar Niemeyer, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil. November 20 – March 10, 2010.
- 2009: Vik Muniz . Museu Inimá de Paula. Minas Gerais, Brazil. August 21 – November 2.
- 2009: Vik Muniz. Museum of Modern Art (MAM). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. January 28 – March 22.
- 2009: Vik Muniz. Museum of Modern Art (MAM). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. January 28 – March 22.
- 2009: Vik. Museu de Arte de Sao Paulo (MASP). São Paulo, Brazil. April 25 – July 19.
- 2009: Vik Muniz. Museu Inimá de Paula. Minas Gerais, Brazil. August 21 – November 2.
- 2010: Vik Muniz . Museum of the University of Fortaleza / Unifor, Fundação Edson Queiroz, Ceara, Brazil. April 16 – August 8.
- 2010: Relicário. Casa de Cultura Laura Alvim, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. October 13 – December 5.
- 2011: Vik Muniz 3D . Espaço Cultural Contemporâneo – ECCO, Brasilia, Brazil. June 13 – August 21.
- 2011: Relicário. Instituto Tomie Ohtake, São Paulo, Brazil. March 1 – April 24.
- 2011: VIK. Museu Berardo Colecção. Lisbon, Portugal. September 21 – December 31 (traveling exhibition)
- 2011: Vik Muniz. Le Muse Imaginaire. Collection Lambert in Avignon, Hôtel de Caumont & Église des Célestins, Avignon, France. January 11 – June 15.
- 2012: VantagePoint X / Vik Muniz. Mint Museum Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. August 25 – April 28, 2013.
- 2012: VIK. Centro de Arte Contemporanea de Malaga, Malaga, Spain, September 7 – December 2. (traveling exhibition)
- 2013: Vik Muniz: Personal Articles “| Fundación DOP (DOP Foundation), Caracas, Venezuela. June 30 – September 1.
- 2013: Vik Muniz. Museo Banco de la República. Bogota, Colombia. July 31 – October 28.
- 2013: Vik Muniz. Clayton Days | Revisited: A Project by Vik Muniz. The Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. July 13 – October 27.
- 2013: Vik Muniz: Pictures of Car Parts (after Ed Ruscha) Forre Fine Art, Aspen, Colorado. September 15, 2013 – July 15, 2014.
- 2014: Vik Muniz and Ed Ruscha: Pictures of Car Parts Imago Galleries, Palm Desert, California. January 5, 2014 – April 15, 2015.
- 2014: Vik Muniz: The Size of the World . Santander Brasil Cultura. May 21 – August 10, 2014
- 2014: Vik Muniz: Pictures of Anything . Long Museum, Shanghai, China, September 21 to November 1, 2014
- 2015: “Vik Muniz” – MOMA Equivalents – Fundación DOP (DOP Foundation), Caracas, Venezuela. January 25 – March 22.
- 2015: Vik Muniz: poetics or Perceptions . Taubman Museum of Art, VA. June 13-September 12, 2015.
- 2015: Vik Muniz: Mas Aca de la Imagen . Museo de la Universidad Tres de Febrero- Buenos Aires, Argentina. May 21, 2015
- 2016: Vik Muniz . High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA. February 28, 2015 – May 29, 2016.
- 2016: Vik Muniz: Verso . Mauritshuis, the Hague, Netherlands. June 9-September 4.
- 2016: Vik Muniz . Eskenzai Museum of Art, Indiana. October 1 – February 5, 2017.
- 2017: Vik Muniz: Precious Metal: Pictures of Car Parts (after Ed Ruscha) Petersen Museum, Los Angeles January 22, 2016 – April 15, 2017
- MoMA 
- Colección DOP 
- Art Institute of Chicago 
- International Center for Photography 
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 
- Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo 
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston 
- The Tate Gallery 
- Victoria and Albert Museum 
- Walker Art Center , Minneapolis 
- Whitney Museum of American Art 
- SF MoMA 
- Mint Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina 
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz Bio” . Vik Muniz . Retrieved 25 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Wasteland” . wastelandmovie . Retrieved 25 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ryzik, Melena (February 2, 2011). “Documentary Drama at the Oscars” . The New York Times . Retrieved February 15, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Kino, Carol. “Where Art Meets Trash and Transforms Life” . The New York Times . Retrieved December 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Museum of Modern Art,New Photography 13,http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/1997/newphoto13/
- Jump up^ Respini, EvaVik Muniz: Painting with Chocolate http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2009/11/12/vik-muniz-painting-with-chocolateRetrieved Aug, 6 2013
- Jump up^ Smith, Roberta (September 15, 2011). “Vik Muniz: Pictures of Magazines 2” . New York Times.
Over the years he has remade, and-then photographed, Corot landscapes from thread, Marilyn Monroe from diamonds, various Process Art pieces from dust and, perhaps must famously, sugar cane child LABORERS from sugar. Other works port Employed luncheon meat, chocolate, coins, wire, Spices, junk, tiny toys, dominoes and dry pigment.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Vik Muniz and Juan Uslé – “En el sombrero the copa, o de cristal” una conversación. Catalog. Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Malaga September, 2012
- Jump up^ Vik Muniz, Reflex, A Vik Muniz Primer, Aperture Foundation, 2005.
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz – MoMA” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz – Colección DOP” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Muniz, Vik – The Art Institute of Chicago” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz” . 8 June 2016 . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Individuals – Vik Muniz – 1999.200 – Work of Art – Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History – The Metropolitan Museum of Art” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz Resultados da pesquisa” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ http://www.mfa.org/search?search_api_views_fulltext=vik%20muniz&f = type% 3Aobject
- Jump up^ “Faucet – The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Vik Muniz, After Richard Serra, Prop, 1968 2000 ‘ . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Action Photo I (After Hans Namuth), Pictures of Chocolate – Muniz, Vik – V & A Search the Collections” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ Art, Walker. “Vik Muniz – Collections – Walker Art Center” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Whitney Museum of American Art: Vik Muniz: Picture of Dust (Tony Smith, The, 1962, installed at the Whitney Museum in” From the Collection: Photography, Sculpture, and Painting, “July 14, 1994-February 26 , 1995) ” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “SFMOMA search: Vik Muniz” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The Mint Museum – The Birth of Venus, after Botticelli (Pictures of Junk)” . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .