Vijay Kumar (born April 12, 1962) is an Indian roboticist and UPS foundation professor in the School of Engineering & Applied Mechanics with secondary Appointments in computer and information science and electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania , and became the new Dean or Penn Engineering on July 1, 2015.  Kumar is Berninahaus for his research in the control and coordination of multi-robot formations.  
- B. Tech., Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, May 1983
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, March 1985
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, September 1987
About his research work
Honours and awards
- The Ohio State University Presidential Fellowship (1986)
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award (1991)
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, University of Pennsylvania (1996)
- The Ferdinand Freudenstein Award for significant contributions to mechanisms and robotics
- 5th National Conference on Mechanisms and Robotics (1997)
- Best paper award, Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (2002)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2003)
- Kayamori Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2004)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Distinguished Lecturer (2005)
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (2005)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Distinguished Award (2012)
- George H. Heilmeier Faculty Award for Excellence in Research (2013) 
- Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award (2013)
- IIT Kanpur Distinguished Alumnus Award 2013-14 for his outstanding contributions to the area of control and coordination of multi-robot formations.
- The Joseph Engelberger Award by the Robotics Industries Association (2014)
- Jump up^ Kim, Isabel. “BREAKING: Vijay Kumar named new dean of engineering” . TheDP.com . The Daily Pennsylvanian . Retrieved 3 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Desai, JP; Ostrowski, JP; Kumar, V. (2001). “Modeling and control of formations or nonholonomic mobile robots” . Robotics and Automation, IEEE Transactions on . 17 (6): 905-908. doi : 10.1109 / 70.976023 . Retrieved 2008-06-29 .
- Jump up^ Desai, JP; Ostrowski, J .; Kumar, V. (1998). “Controlling formations or multiple mobile robots” . Robotics and Automation, 1998. Proceedings. 1998 IEEE International Conference on . 4 .
- Jump up^ “Vijay Kumar Receives Heilmeier Research Award” . Penn Engineering . Retrieved 23 February 2013 .