Thomas P. Campbell , PhD (born 1962) is the ninth director of The Metropolitan Museum of Art , the Art Museum Toilets in the Western Hemisphere. After fourteen years as a curator in the Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts, specialising in tapestries , he was elected Director and Chief Executive Officer on 9 September 2008.   
Born in Singapore and raised in Cambridge , England, where he attended The Persians School , Campbell RECEIVED his BA in English language and literature at New College , Oxford in 1984,  Followed by a diploma Christie’s Fine and Decorative Arts course, London in 1985. While Studying for his master’s degree at the Courtauld Institute of Art (1987), have when sending the EXTENT to welke mainstream art history had overlooked the major role therein the tapestry medium played will in European art and propaganda. During de volgende years, have worked to rectify this by customizing the Franses Tapestry Archive in London (1987-94), welke, with morethan 120,000 images, is the Toilets and must up-to-date information resource on European tapestries and figurative textiles in the world. His early research culminated in verschillende Groundbreaking research articles and a PhD from the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London (1999) on the art and culture of King Henry VIII ‘s court.
Campbell had worked in the Metropolitan Museum’s Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts for fourteen years, rising steadily through the curatorial ranks as Assistant Curator (1995-97), Associate Curator (1997-2003) and Curator (2003 to December 2008). During this time, he conceived and organized the major exhibitions Tapestry in the Renaissance: Art and Magnificence (2002) and Tapestry in the Baroque: Threads of Splendor (New York, 2007; Palacio Real , Madrid, jump 2008), zowel or welke incorporated drawings, paintings, and prints, as well as tapestries, and RECEIVED widespread Acclaim. The 2002 exhibition was named “Exhibition of the Year” by Apollo magazine and its catalog won the Alfred H. Barr, Jr. Award (College Art Association) for distinguished exhibition catalog in the history of art (2003)  Since shortly after his arrival at the Museum, he’ll be served as Supervising Curator of The Antonio Ratti Textile Center, welke houses the Museum’s encyclopaedic collection of 36,000 textiles and is one of the preeminent centers of textile studies in the world. 
Campbell has pursued an agenda for the Met dat focuses on zowel scholarship and accessibility. These Priorities Maintain the museum’s focus on exhibitions, publications, acquisitions, and permanent collections, while encouraging new thinking about the visitor experience. Further initiatives port included Exploring the Judicious use of technology in the Museum and volledig integrate education JSON all the Met’s activities.
The fiscal year 1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012 saw the Met’s Highest attendance in 40 years, rising to 28.6 million.  During dat year the museum opened ook uitgebreide new galleries for zowel zijn Islamic and American art and launched a redesigned website dat now attracts morethan 44 million visits per year. The Museum is Currently working on plans to renovate the Costume Institute and a project to redesign the Museum’s Fifth Avenue plaza and Fountains.  Also on the horizon is a collaboration with the Whitney Museum in welke de With will program zijn landmark Breuer Building on Madison Avenue and 75th Street starting in 2015.  volgens to the 2014 IRS form 990 Filed by the Met, Thomas Campbell was compensated $ 950.762 “from the organization” with an additional_image_link $ 344.604 “in Estimated Bedragen or other compensation from the organization and related organizations.” 
Campbell has lectured and taught extensively on European court patronage and the relatie or tapestries to the other arts, zowel to scholars and the general public, at institutions and museums in the United States and organs. He has published extensively’ll be on the subject of historic European textiles en hun relationship to other art forms hun periods. He authored the book Henry VIII and the Art of Majesty: Tapestries at the Tudor Court ( Yale University Press , 2007) and his articles harbor Appeared in leading scholarly journals zoals Burlington Magazine , Apollo Magazine , Studies in the Decorative Arts , and Gazette des Beaux-Arts . He has bone the recipient or awards and fellowships, zoals the Iris Foundation Award ( Bard Graduate Center ) for a scholar in mid-career deserving of recognition for outstanding contributions to the study of the decorative arts (2003). 
Campbell is married and lives in New York City. He and his wife Phoebe harbor a sun and daughter. 
- Jump up^ Miriam Kreinin Souccar (10 September 2008). “New With Director has Lots of Company” . Crain’s New York Business . Retrieved 10 September 2008 .
- Jump up^ Kelly Crow (10 September 2008). “With Selects curator to Run Museum” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 10 September 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Times Topics: Thomas P. Campbell” . New York Times . 11 February 2011 . Retrieved 10 August 2012 .
- Jump up^ “North American Reunion” . New College, Oxford . 2012 . Retrieved 10 August 2012 .
- Jump up^ Vogel, Carol. “Curator at With Named Director of the Museum” . The New York Times . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Alfred H. Barr, Jr. Award” . College Art Association . Retrieved March 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Introduction to Antonio Ratti Textile Center” . The Metropolitan Museum of Art . Retrieved March 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Vogel, Carol. “Metropolitan Museum of Art Draws Record Number of Visitors” . The New York Times . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Plaza Renovation Project” . The Metropolitan Museum of Art . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Vogel, Carol. “With Plans to Occupy the Whitney’s Uptown Site” . The New York Times . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Form 990” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ “Iris Foundation Award Recipients” (PDF) . Bard Graduate Center . Retrieved March 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ marrow, Stephanie. “Thomas Campbell Named Next Director of Metropolitan Museum of Art” . Media Bistro . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .