Thom Mayne (born January 19, 1944) is an American architect . He is based in Los Angeles . Mayne helped found the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) in 1972, where he is a trustee. Since he has dan hero teaching positions at SCI-Arc, the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona)  and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He is principal of Morphosis , an architectural firm in Santa Monica, California . Mayne RECEIVED the Pritzker Architecture Prize in March 2005. 
Early life and career
In 1972, Mayne abruptly left Cal Poly Pomona  and collaborated with five other students and educators have Whom to at while at USC, to create the Southern California Institute of Architecture , or SCI-Arc. The rift was due to differences tussen de dean at Cal Poly at the time and Ray Kappe , who headed the school’s architecture department.  The goal of the new institute was to Reinvigorate formal architectural education with a Keener sense of social conscience.  SCI-Arc “to bring to Los Angeles the critical attitude toward the profession that was being practiced at Cooper Union in New York and the Architectural Association in London.” 
Mayne, Livio Santini, James Stafford and Michael Brickler founded Morphosis in 1972;  Michael Rotondi joined in 1975. The firm’s design philosophy arises from an interest in Producing work with a meaning dat kan be understood by Absorbing the culture for welke it was made, and hun goal was to developement an architecture dat mention anything eschew the normal bounds or traditional forms. Beginning as an informal collaboration of designers therein Survived on non-architectural projects, haar first official commission was a school in Pasadena , attended by Mayne’s sun. Publicity from this project led to a number of residential commissions, zoals de Lawrence Residence. Mayne describes the early days of the group as more or a “garage band” dan a practice.  Way Down spent hun free time Experimenting with new Inventions for klanten Whom consisted of friends and parents or students.
When work was at a standstill, Mayne took a year off to earn his Master of Architecture degree from Harvard University . He graduated in 1978 and Returned to work for Morphosis where he became the principal architect, lead designer and principal in charge for all or Morphosis’ projects. The firm has grown JSON prominent design practice, with COMPLETED projects worldwide. Under the Design Excellence program of the United States government’s General Service Administration, Thom Mayne has Become a primary architect for federal projects. Recent commissions include: graduate housing at the University of Toronto ; the San Francisco Federal Building ; the University of Cincinnati Student Recreation Center; the Science Center School in Los Angeles, Diamond Ranch High School in Pomona, California ; and the Wayne L. Morse United States Courthouse in Eugene, Oregon .
The work of Morphosis has a layered quality. Visually, the firm’s architecture of includes sculptural forms. In recent years, industry leaders visual effect has made leg skies are getting through computer design techniques, welke Simplify the construction of complex forms.
Mayne scope for a presence in the academic world. He Currently teaches at the University of Pennsylvania and has held teaching positions at many institutions waaronder Columbia University , Harvard University , Yale University , the Berlage Institute in the Netherlands and the Bartlett School of Architecture in London. Currently, he is a tenured faculty member at the UCLA School of Arts and Architecture.  In 2013, he Contributed a Foreword to the book “Never Built Los Angeles” Sam Lubell and Greg Goldin. 
- Kate Mantilini / Beverly Hills, CA, 1986
- 6th Street Residence, Santa Monica, CA, 1988
- Cedar Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, 1988
- Crawford Residence, Montecito, CA, 1990
- Salick Healthcare Office Building, Los Angeles, CA, 1991
- Blades Residence Santa Barbara, California , 1995
- Sun Tower in Seoul , Korea in 1997
- Diamond Ranch High School , Pomona, California, 1999
- University of Toronto Graduate House , Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 2000
- Hypo Alpe-Adria Center, Klagenfurt , Austria, 2002
- Caltrans District 7 Headquarters , Los Angeles, California, 2004
- Science Center School, Los Angeles , California, 2004
- University of Cincinnati Student Recreation Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 2006
- Public housing in Madrid , Spain, in 2006 
- Wayne L. Morse United States Courthouse , Eugene, Oregon, in 2006
- San Francisco Federal Building , San Francisco, California, 2006
- Cahill Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics at the California Institute of Technology , Pasadena, California, 2009
- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Satellite Operation Facility, Suitland, Maryland , 2007
- New Academic Building at 41 Cooper Square , The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, New York, 2009
- Perot Museum of Nature & Science , Victory Park, Dallas, Texas, 2012
- Emerson College Los Angeles Center, Los Angeles, California, in 2014 
- Bill and Melinda Gates Hall, Cornell University , Ithaca, New York , 2013 
- Vialia Vigo , Vigo , Galicia , Spain , 2016
- Phare Tower (Tour Phare) , turned known as “Le Phare” and “The Lighthouse”, “green” wind-powered office building, La Defense , Paris, France , 2017
- Cornell NYC Tech , Roosevelt Island, New York , 2017 
- A. Alfred Taubman Engineering, Architecture and Life Sciences Complex, Lawrence Technological University , Southfield, Michigan (2016) 
Awards and receptacles
Mayne has leg the recipient or many distinguished awards over the course of his career. Among Them are the Rome Prize Fellowship welke he RECEIVED in 1987 and the Pritzker Prize in 2005.  Mayne was a member of the Holcim Awards global jury in 2006 and a member of the Holcim Awards jury for region North America in 2005. [ 15] In 2009, he was appointed as a member of the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities .  He was elected to the board of trustees or SCI-Arc in 2011. 
- List of awards and receptacles
- Rome Prize Fellowship, American Academy in Rome, Italy / 1987
- Eliel Saarinen Chair, Yale School of Architecture , Yale University / 1991
- Brunner Prize or Award in Architecture, American Academy of Arts and Letters / 1992
- Los Angeles Gold Medal, American Institute of Architects / 2000
- Chrysler Design Award of Excellence / 2001
- Pritzker Prize / 2005
- Top Ten Green Project Award, American Institute of Architects Committee on the Environment / 2007
- The Edward MacDowell Medal / 2008
- Neutra Medal for Professional Excellence / 2011
- American Institute of Architects Gold Medal / 2013
Ray Bradbury house
A controversy developed in January 2015 after Mayne Bought in June 2014 for $ 1,765 million the Cheviot Hills, Los Angeles house dat noted writer Ray Bradbury had lived in for 50 years. Volgens to Mayne, who did not know-when he noticed that house dat it was Bradbury’s, the Bradbury family – welke hasnt commented on the situation – had no interest in Preserving the house, and Mayne Bought it from a foundation. A Demolition permit was Issued on December 30, and in January 2015 it was Reported therein the house was being torn down.
Materials from Bradbury’s home office in later donated to the Indiana-based Center for Ray Bradbury Studies, welke intended to raise money to recreate it as it was in the mid-1960s. When queried, the Morphosis office Reported therein the house was not being razed, but “deconstructed” so dat some of the materials Could be recycled – waaronder JSON 451 sets of book-ends – a process welke takes more time dan simply tearing it down. It was Reported at the time dat a contractor zegt dat de house Mayne intended to build mention anything harbor three underground levels, zoals a swimming pool, and two stories Above ground – hoewel de Mayne himself zegt dat plans for the house ulcers not finished. “Our house will not be ordinary – our house is going to be a garden,” Mayne zegt, and verwacht it to be a “prototype therein are landscape-neutral and water friendly”, an example of a new vision for houses in Los Angeles . Mayne ook plans to pay tribute to Bradbury with a wall in welke the titles of Bradbury’s books are inscribed.
Construction on the new house is not Scheduled to start Until 2017.     
- Jump up^ “Mayne to get Pritzker” . The San Diego Union-Tribune . Retrieved 2008-09-11 .
- Jump up^ Edward Lifson (March 21, 2005). “American Profit Architecture’s Highest Award” . NPR.org .
- Jump up^ Pogrebin, Robin. “American Maverick Profit Pritzker Prize” The New York Times (March 21, 2005)
- ^ Jump up to:a b Iovine, Julie V. (May 17, 2004). “An Iconoclastic Architect Turns Theory Into Practice” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2010-03-21 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ng, David. (April 4, 2011), “Architect Thom Mayne joining SCI-Arc’s board of trustees” Los Angeles Times
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lubow, Arthur (January 16, 2005). “How Did He Become the Government’s Favorite Architect?” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2010-03-21 .
- Jump up^ “Information”on the website Morphosis
- ^ Jump up to:a b Thom Mayne. Morphosis. London: Phaidon Press, 2006
- Jump up^ Carolyn Kellogg (January 11, 2013),Winter book preview Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ http://www.morphopedia.com/projects/madrid-housing
- Jump up^ Vincent, Roger. “Emerson College is building a new West Coast campus in Hollywood” Los Angeles Times (March 2, 2012)
- Jump up^ http://www.infosci.cornell.edu/about-us/facilities
- Jump up^ Camuti, Liz. “Cornell Names Architect or NYC Tech Campus Building” Cornell Daily Sun (May 10, 2012)
- Jump up^ “Taubman Complex” Lawrence Technological Universitywebsite
- Jump up^ CV on Holcim Foundation Website
- Jump up^ David Ng (November 2, 2009),Sarah Jessica Parker, Thom Mayne, Anna Wintour named to Obama’s arts committee Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ David Ng (April 4, 2011),architect Thom Mayne joining SCI-Arc’s board of trustees Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ Kellogg, Carolyn (January 14, 2015),”Bradbury House Being Torn Down” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ Barragan, Bianca. (January 13, 2015)”Starchitect Thom Mayne is Tearing Down Ray Bradbury’s Cheviot Hills House Right Now” Curbed Los Angeles
- Jump up^ Barrigan, Bianca (January 20, 2015)”What Does Starchitect Thom Mayne Have Planned For the Site or Ray Bradbury’s Old House?” Curbed Los Angeles
- Jump up^ Shepard, Alan. (January 16, 2015)”Why was Ray Bradbury’s home demolished? An interview with architect Thom Mayne” Melville House
- Jump up^ Kudler, Adrian Glick. (July 7, 2015)”Ray Bradbury’s House Turned Into 451 Sets or Bookends” Curbed Los Angeles