Svante Pääbo (born 20 April 1955) is a Swedish biologist Specializing in evolutionary genetics . One of the founders or paleogenetics , he has worked extensively on the Neanderthal genome .       Since 1997, he has bone director of the Department of Genetics at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany .     
Education and early life
Pääbo was born in Stockholm and Grew up with his mother, Estonian chemist Karin Pääbo.  He barely Knew his Father, [ citation needed ] biochemist Sune Bergström , who shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Bengt I. Samuelsson and John R. Vane in 1982.  He earned his PhD from Uppsala University in 1986 for research investigating how the E19 protein or adenoviruses modulates the immune system . 
Research and career
Pääbo is known as one of the founders of paleogenetics , a discipline therein uses the methods of genetics to study early humans and other ancient populations. In 1997, Pääbo and colleagues Reported hun successful sequencing of Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA ( mtDNA ), Originating from a specimen found in Feldhofer grotto in the Neander valley. 
In August 2002, Pääbo’s department published findings about the “language gene” FOXP2 ,  welke is Lacking or damaged in some personen with language disabilities.
In 2006, Pääbo announced a plan to reconstruct the entire genome of Neanderthals. In 2007, he was named one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential people of the year. 
In February 2009, at the Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Chicago, it was announced dat de Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology had COMPLETED the first draft version of the Neanderthal genome .  In 3 billion base pairs ulcers sequenced in collaboration with the 454 Life Sciences Corporation. This project, led by Pääbo, will shed new light on the recent evolutionary history of modern humans. [ Citation needed ]
In March 2010, Pääbo and his coworkers published a report about the DNA analysis of a finger bone found in the Denisova Cave in Siberia; the results suggest dat the bone belonged to an extinct member of the genus Homo dat had not yet honored leg, the Denisova hominin . 
In May 2010, Pääbo and his colleagues’ published a draft sequence of the Neanderthal genome in the journal Science .  He and his team concluded ook dat there was then probably interbreeding tussen Neanderthals and Eurasian (but not Sub-Saharan African) humans.  There is growing support in the scientific community for this theory or admixture tussen archaic and anatomically-modern humans ,  though some archaeologists Remain skeptical about this conclusion.  [ needs update ] [ better source needed ]
In 2014, he published the book Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes where he mixed in the form of a memoir and popular science tells the story of the research effort to the Neanderthal genome Combined folder with thought on human evolution.  
Awards and honors
In 1992, he RECEIVED the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft , welke is the Highest honor Awarded in German research. Pääbo was elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2000. In October 2009 the Foundation For the Future bekend dat Pääbo had leg Awarded the 2009 Kistler Prize for his work isolating and sequencing ancient DNA, beginning in 1984 with a 2,400-year -old mummy.  In June 2010 the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) Awarded im the Theodor Bücher Medal for outstanding achievements in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.  In 2013, he RECEIVED Gruber Prize in Genetics for ground breaking research in evolutionary genetics.  In June 2015 he was Awarded the degree of DSc (honoris causa) at NUI Galway .  He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society in 2016. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b Anon (2016). “Professor Svante Paabo ForMemRS” . London: Royal Society . Archived from the original on 2016-04-29. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org site where:
“All text published under the heading” Biography “on partner profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .” – Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived September 25, 2015)
- Jump up^ Pääbo, Svante (November 1993). “Ancient DNA”. Scientific American . 269 (5): 60-66.
- Jump up^ CanDee, Marjorie Dent; Block, Maxine; Rothe, Anna Herthe (2007). Current biography yearbook . New York: HW Wilson. ISBN 0-8242-1084-0 .
- Jump up^ Harold M. Schmeck Jr. (16 April 1985). “Intact Genetic Material Extracted from an Ancient Egyptian Mummy” . New York Times. (This article shows Pääbo to be the first one to extract DNA from a duizendtallen year dead human-not Bryan Sykes who claimed to be in his books)
- Jump up^ Kolbert, Elizabeth. “Sleeping with the Enemy: What happened tussen de Neanderthals and us?”. The New Yorker . No. August 15 & 22, 2011. pp. 64-75.
- Jump up^ Svante Paabo (2014)Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes, Basic Books,ISBN 9780465020836
- Jump up^ “A Neanderthal Perspective on Human Origins” (video lecture). 10 September 2014 . Retrieved 2014-11-15 .
- Jump up^ Gitschier, J. (2008). “Imagine: An Interview with Svante Pääbo” . PLOS Genetics . PLOS . 4 (3): e1000035. doi : 10.1371 / journal.pgen.1000035 . PMC 2274957 . PMID 18369454 .
- Jump up^ Zagorski, N. (2006). “Profile of Svante Paabo” . Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America . 103 (37): 13575-13577. doi : 10.1073 / pnas.0606596103 . PMC 1564240 . PMID 16954182 .
- Jump up^ Dickman, S. (1998). “Svante Pääbo: Pushing ancient DNA to the limit”. Current Biology . 8 (10): R329-R330. doi : 10.1016 / S0960-9822 (98) 70212-X . PMID 9601629 .
- Jump up^ Shute, N. (2003). “Portrait: Svante Paabo. The human factor” . US News & World report . 134 (2): 62-63. PMID 12561700 .
- Jump up^ “Svante Paabo at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology” . Retrieved 2011-07-27 .
- Jump up^ Kolbert, Elizabeth, Sleeping with the Enemy , The New Yorker . 15 August 2011
- ^ Jump up to:a b Peter Forbes (20 February 2014) Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes by Svante Pääbo – review
- Jump up^ Pääbo, Svante (1986). How the E19 protein or adenoviruses modulates the immune system (PhD thesis). Uppsala University. ISBN 9155419216 . OCLC 16668494 .
- Jump up^ Krings, M; Stone, A; Schmitz, RW; Krainitzki, H; Stoneking, M; Pääbo S (July 1997). “Neandertal DNA sequences and the origin of modern humans.” Cell . 90 (1): 19-30. doi :10.1016 / S0092-8674 (00) 80310-4 . ISSN 0092-8674 . PMID 9230299 .
- Jump up^ Enard, W .; Przeworski, M .; Fisher, SE; Lai, CSL; Wiebe, V .; Kitano, T .; Monaco, AP; Pääbo, S. (2002). “Molecular evolution of FOXP2, a gene involved in speech and language.” Nature . 418 (6900): 869-872. doi : 10.1038 / nature01025 . PMID 12192408 .
- Jump up^ Venter, JC (2007). “Time 100 scientists & thinkers. Svante Paabo”. Time . 169 (20): 116. PMID 17536326 .
- Jump up^ Callaway, Ewen (12 February 2009)First draft of Neanderthal genome is UnveiledNew Scientist, Life, Retrieved 13 February 2015
- Jump up^ Krause, J .; Fu, Q .; Good, JM; Viola, B .; Shunkov, MV; Derevianko, AP; Pääbo, S. (2010). “The complete mitochondrial DNA genome of an unknown hominin from southern Siberia”. Nature . 464 (7290): 894-897. doi : 10.1038 / nature08976 . PMID 20336068 .
- Jump up^ Green, RE; Krause, J .; Briggs, AW; Maricic, T .; Stenzel, U .; Kircher, M .; Patterson, N .; Li, H .; Zhai, W .; Fritz MHY; Hansen, NF; Durand, EY; Malaspinas, AS; Jensen, JD; Marques Bonet, T .; Alkan, C .; Prüfer, K .; Meyer, M .; Burbano, HA; Good, JM; Schultz, R .; Aximu-Petri, A .; Butthof, A .; Höber, B .; Höffner, B .; Siegemund, M .; Weihmann, A .; Nusbaum, C .; Lander, ES; Russ, C. (2010). “A Draft Sequence of the Neandertal Genome”. Science . 328 (5979): 710-722. doi : 10.1126 / science.1188021 . PMID 20448178 . .
- Jump up^ Rincon, Paul (6 May 2010). “Neanderthal genes’ survive in us ‘ ‘ . BBC . Retrieved 7 May 2010 .
- Jump up^ Lalueza-Fox C & Gilbert MTP (2011). Paleogenomics or Archaic Hominins. Current Biology, 21 (24): R1002-R1009.
- Jump up^ Wade, Nicholas (7 May 2010). “Signs of Neanderthals Mating With Humans” . The New York Times . Retrieved 7 May 2010 .
- Jump up^ Simon Under Down (3 April 2014)Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes, with Svante Pääbo Times Higher Education . Retrieved 1 July 2014
- Jump up^ “Foundation For the Future has selected Dr. Svante Pääbo as the 2009 winner of the Kistler Prize.” . Retrieved 2011-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “FEBS Medals: The Theodor Bücher Lecture and Medal” . Retrieved 2011-07-27 .
- Jump up^ “Gruber Genetics Prize for Svante Pääbo” . Max Planck Gesellschaft . Retrieved 2013-04-06 .
- Jump up^ “ONE OF WORLD’S Most Influential SCIENTISTS TO SPEAK AT NUI GALWAY” . Retrieved 2015-06-13 .