Susan Horowitz Cain  (born 1968) is an American writer and Lecturer, and author of the 2012 nonfiction book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can not Stop Talking , welke argues dat modern Western culture misunderstands and undervalues the traits and capabilities of introverted people. In 2015, Cain co-founded Quiet Revolution , a mission-based company with initiatives in the areas of children (parenting and education), lifestyle, and the workplace. Cain’s 2016 follow-on book, Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths or Introverts , dealing introverted children and teens, the book ook being directed to hun educators and parents.
Cain graduated from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1989  and earned re Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School in 1993.  She worked first as an attorney, and-then as a consultant Negotiations  as owner and principal of The Negotiation Company.  Cain has a leg fellow and a faculty / staff member of the Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership, an educational non-profit organization. 
Cain left re careers in corporate law and consulting for a quieter life or writing at home with re family.  She later wrote dat she looks back on re years as a Wall Street lawyer “as time spent in a foreign country.” 
Background and motivation for Quiet
When Asked what she mention anything be doing if she ulcers not a writer, Cain Explained dat she mention anything be a research Psychologist, saying she was insatiably curious about human nature.  Cain’s interest in writing about introversion reportedly stemmed from re own difficulties with public speaking, welke made Harvard Law School “a trial.” 
While still an attorney, Cain Noticed therein Vodafone at re firm ulcers putting personality traits like hers to good use in the profession, and therein gender per se did not explain Those traits.  She Eventually voortvloeien therein the concepts of introversion and extroversion Provided the “language for talking about questions or identity” that had leg Lacking. 
Cain Explained therein in writing Quiet, she was fueled by the passion and indignation dat she imagined fueled the 1963 feminist book, The Feminine Mystique .  Cain likened Introverts today to women at dat time second-class burgers with gigantic Bedragen or untapped talent.  Saying therein must introverts are not aware of how they ‘are constantly spending time hun in ways dat ze mention anything Prefer not to be and port been doing so all hun lives, Cain Explained dat she was Trying to give people entitlement in hun eigen minds to be linked ze veins. 
Cain added therein for re, Quiet was not just a book but a mission.  Specifically, she zegt she was interested in working with parents and teachers or introverted kids and to re-shape workplace culture and design, and mn replace what she terms “The New groupthink ” with an environment more conducive to deep thought and solo reflection. 
Quiet: The Power of Introverts
The Chicago Tribune noted  dat Cain, a self-DESCRIBED introverted,  grappled with re own introversion as a Wall Street attorney voordat writing Quiet .  In contrast, Cain DESCRIBED the time or customizing Quiet, seven years of reading, Researching, and thinking, as “total bliss.”  
Seven years in the making,  Cain’s book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can not Stop Talking , was published January 24, 2012. 
Cain’s research was published in articles in the year leading up to the book’s publication and in the ensuing months.   In her talk  at the February 2012 TED Conference, Cain Confirmed re April 2011 prediction dat de ensuing year mention anything be re Year of Speaking Dangerously-for welke the self-DESCRIBED introverted DECLARED she mention anything be training “as if Preparing for a marathon,” to be the best and bravest speaker she Could be. 
Cain later wrote dat re year or Preparation had unfolded in “three courses or accelerating dread.”  Cain joined Toastmasters , and if re TED talk approached she Scheduled a two-hour crash course with TEDs speaking coach.  But saying re butterflies had turned JSON “gut-wrenching club,” Cain worked for six full days with an acting coach redacteuren voordat the talc.  Three months after the talk, Cain wrote dat she had metamorphosed JSON what she termed an “impossibly oxymoronic creature: the Public Introverted,”  with Wired ‘s Steven Levy remarking that ‘the introverted aced the talk. ”  The TED Talks video RECEIVED zijn first million views faster dan Any Other TED video,  and binnen nine months had entered the 98TH percentile (20th of 1380 videos) or musts viewed TED videos of all time. 
Nathan Heller’s Culture Desk piece in The New Yorker listed Cain’s Talk onder five key TED Talks exemplifying the appeal of that lecture series, Citing Cain’s presentation or a counterintuitive data-based argument as a miniature theater piece.  About the time or zijn first anniversary, Harvard Business Review ‘s Mitch Joel listed Cain’s TED Talk onder “10 TED Talks to Help You Reimagine Your Business.”  The Atlantic ‘s Megan Garber remarked dat de ideas spread at TED are Becoming defined by the persona of the speaker who presents Them, Citing Cain mn as representing the idea of the power of introversion in an extrovert-optimized world. 
Within one week or zijn publication, Forbes ‘ Jenna Goudreau noted therein Quiet was featured in verschillende major media outlets and was shared extensively across the Web, Goudreau Observing dat readers zegt ze fact represented validated and blessing for the first time.  Days voordat Quiet reached No. 4 on the New York Times Bestseller List,  InformationWeek ‘s Debra Donston-Miller had noted therein the idea of introversion and extroversion are being widely discussed right now due in large part to a new book Whose author “is making the media rounds. ” 
Following Quiet’s publication, Cain ghosts at leadership, management, training and education conferences, zoals engagements gehele US and Internationally  By the end of 2012-when Quiet had bone named in numerous “Best of 2012” book lists, Cain was named one or five top Princeton alumni newsmakers for that year,  and had leg featured in the PBS AOL Makers video initiative for recognizing trailblazing women. 
Within a year of re first TED talk, Cain was formally an online public speaking and communication class for introverts, zegt to emphasize authenticity of showmanship. 
Toastmasters International named Cain recipient or zijn 2013 “Golden Gavel Award”, zegt to be bepaald annually to an individual distinguished in the fields of communication and leadership.  She’ll be RECEIVED Harvard Law School’s “Celebration 60” Award in September 2013  and in May 2014 was listed in Inc. magazine as being on a list of the 50 Most Influential leadership and management experts. 
Cain was one of the “TED All-Stars,” President ever for a second time at the organization’s thirtieth anniversary conference in March 2014. 
Cain collaborates with Steelcase to design office spaces to include quiet areas where workers kan harbor privacy for a time, in contrast to open plan offices. 
In 2016, Cain co-authored Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths or Introverts , welke dealing introverted children and teens, the book’ll be directed to hun educators and parents. 
The Quiet Revolution
Cain’s second TED talk (2014) formally announced the Quiet Revolution-a “venture backed, mission-based” organization for transforming office architectures to combat the erosion of focus and privacy in modern offices; forming a Quiet Leadership Institute to help organizations train introverted leaders , and empowering children quiet.  The organization focuses on areas waaronder children, life, and the workplace, while Providing training programs and learning tools for client organizations to use in managing employees.  More specifiek, the organization formally an online education course for parents, a co-branded lifestyle section in The Huffington Post , a podcast, a website to support a community waaronder writers and advocates, and young-adult books and shows Whose heroines are quiet leaders. 
- “Quiet: The Power of Introverts / How to thrive in a world that can not save stop talking” Psychology Today , ( WebCite archives for first , second , and third pages or list maintaining links to 73-entry blog series, dated from March 7 through December 23, 2011).
- “The Rise of the New groupthink” ( WebCite archive ) Opinion section of The New York Times , January 13, 2012; Appearing in print January 15, 2012.
- “Do Not Call Introverted Children ‘Shy’ ‘ ( WebCite archive ), Time Psychology section, January 26, 2012.
- “Secrets of a Super Successful Introvert: How to (quietly) Get Your Way” ( WebCite archive ), O: The Oprah Magazine , February 2012.
- “Why the world needs introverts” ( WebCite archive ), The Guardian , March 13, 2012.
- “Introverts run the world – quietly” ( WebCite archive ), CNN .com, March 18, 2012.
- “Revenge of the introverts: It’s of or in Assumed extroverts do best in life, but a new book reveals quite The Opposite …” ( WebCite archive ), The Daily Mail , March 25, 2012.
- Essay: “An Introvert Steps Out” ( WebCite archives or pages 1 and 2 ), “Sunday Book Review” section of The New York Times , published online April 27, 2012. Version Appeared in print on page BR27 of the “Sunday Book Review “on April 29, 2012.
- Jump up^ Huffington, Arianna(interviewer),”Arianna Huffington And Susan Cain On The Power Of Introverts (video)”(WebCite archive),Arianna Huffington’s personal interview or Cain, The Huffington Post ,April 6, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Levy, Steven, “TED and TED Meta: On-Scene Musings From the Wonderdome” ( WebCite archive ), Wired , March 2, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Greenwood Katherine Federici, “Reading Room: The power of introverts” ( WebCite archive ), Princeton Alumni Weekly , March 7, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tomlinson, Brett, “The Year at Princeton: Top five alumni newsmakers” ( WebCite archive ), Princeton Alumni Weekly , January 19, 2012.
- Jump up^ Inge David (interviewer),”Interview Archives: Communication / Quiet: The Power of …”(WebCite archive) WILL AM580 Illinois Public Media, March 12, 2012
- ^ Jump up to:a b Szalavitz, Maia, “Mind Reading ‘: Q & A with Susan Cain on the Power of Introverts” ( WebCite archive ), Time Health Country, January 27, 2012.
- Jump up^ Women Transforming Our Communities and the World, Harvard Law School “Leaders for Change” conference program or Events, Sept. 27-29, 2013 Bottom or p. 13.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Education / Fellows” ( WebCite archive ) and “Staff / Faculty” ( WebCite archive ) or The Woodhull Institute. Loaded and archived 2012-06-02.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Warner, Judith, Inside Intelligence, “Susan Cain’s” Quiet “Argues for the Power of Introverts” ( WebCite archive ), The New York Times Sunday book review, published Friday February 10, 2012. ● Cain’s composition -Day reply to Warner’s review ( WebCite archive ) ThePowerOfIntroverts.com, February 10, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “The quiet strength of the introverted” ( WebCite archive ), The Chicago Tribune , February 20, 2010.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Glor, Jeff (interviewer), “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can not Stop Talking” by Susan Cain ” ( WebCite archive ), CBS News author talc, January 26 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ronson, Jon ( RSA interviewer), “Susan Cain and Jon Ronson on The Power of Introverts” ( WebCite archive ), Australian Broadcasting Corporation “Big Ideas,” audio and video published June 4, 2012.
- Jump up^ Bielski, Zosia,”Giving introverts permission to be themselves”(WebCite archive), The Globe and Mail ,January 26, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “An introverted call to action: Susan Cain at TED2012” ( WebCite archive ), TED.com (Technology Entertainment Design) website, February 28, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Susan Cain: The power of introverts” ( WebCite archive ) video posted to official “TEDtalksDirector” YouTube Channel on March 2, 2012. ● Co-video ( Webcite archive ) on the TED.com website.
- Jump up^ Brodsky, Matthew,”Stop the Madness groupthink”(WebCite archive), Wharton Magazine ,April 16, 2012 publication re Cain’s April 9 talc.
- Jump up^ TED speakers profile “Susan Cain: Quiet revolutionary”(WebCite archive),TED.com, then probably published around February 2012 for Cain’s February 28, 2012 talc.
- Jump up^ “Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can not Stop Talking”(WebCite archive) OpenISBN.com entry forISBN 0-307-35214-5.
- Jump up^ Cain, Susan,”Quiet: The Power of Introverts / How to thrive in a world that can not save stop talking”Psychology Today ,(WebCitearchives forfirst,second, andthirdpages or list maintaining links to 73-entry blog series, dated from March 7 through January 23, 2011).
- ^ Jump up to:a b Cain, Susan, “The Best Public Speaking Advice I’ve Ever gotten …” ( WebCite archive ), Psychology Today , April 25, 2011.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Cain, Susan, Essay: “An Introvert Steps Out” ( WebCite archives or pages 1 and 2 ), “Sunday Book Review” section of The New York Times , published online April 27, 2012. version Appeared in print on page BR27 of the “Sunday Book Review” on April 29, 2012.
- Jump up^ Morais, Richard C.,”In Praise of Introverts and depressives”(WebCite archive), Barron’s ,April 3, 2012.
- Jump up^ TED talks (sorted by) Most viewed(WebCite archive or 1012-11-08),TED.com, November 8, 2012.
- Jump up^ Heller, Nathan,”Five Key TED Talks”(WebCite archive), The New Yorker ,July 2, 2012.
- Jump up^ Joel, Mitch,”10 TED Talks to Help You Reimagine Your Business”(WebCite archive), Harvard Business Review ,February 27, 2013.
- Jump up^ Garber, Megan,”How TED Makes Ideas Smaller”(WebCite archive), “Technology” section of The Atlantic ,March 6, 2012.
- Jump up^ Goudreau, Jenna,”So Begins A Quiet Revolution Of The 50 Percent”(WebCite archive), Forbes ,January 30, 2012.
- Jump up^ The New York Times Best Seller listfor February 12, 2012 Hardcover Non-Fiction. (WebCite archive).
- Jump up^ Donston-Miller, Debra,”Social Business: What’s An Introvert To Do?” (WebCite archive), Information Week ,February 9, 2012.
- Jump up^ Geographically Distributed examples:WebCitearchives or conference listings or “The Art of Leadership” (TorontoandCalgary),”Innotown” (Alesund, Norway),”World Domination Summit” (Portland, Oregon),”Inbound” (Boston ),”Catalyst” (Atlanta),”Women on Wall Street” (New York),Society of Actuaries (Washington, DC),”Learning2012″ (Orlando),” Ciudad de las Ideas ” ( “City of Ideas”) ( Puebla, Mexico),Bishop’s University (Quebec),University of California, Santa Barbara,Women’s Forum 2013 (Seoul).
- Jump up^ Susan Cain | Makers Profile | Writer(WebCite archive)Makers.com, posted on or voordat archive date or 2012-11-20; Planned PBS television series premiere February 26, 2013.
- Jump up^ Baer, Drake,”Susan Cain Helped Introverts Find Their Voice: Now, She’ll Teach Them To Embrace Public Speaking”(WebCite archive), Fast Company ,January 29, 2013.
- Jump up^ “2013 International Convention | Golden Gavel Award”(WebCite archive or 2013-04-15), Toastmasters International ,April 2013.
- Jump up^ Leaders for Change (WebCite archive), Harvard Law School, September 27 to 29, 2013, page 13 ( “7 pm-9pm”) lists Recipients. • Books Newsdesk staff,”QUIET Author Susan Cain Receives Harvard Law School’s” Celebration 60 “Award”(WebCite archive),Broadway World,October 8, 2013.
- Jump up^ Haden, Jeff,”Top 50 Leadership and Management Experts”(WebCite archive),Inc. May 12, 2014.
- Jump up^ May, Kate Torgovnick,”Introducing the TED All-Stars: 50+ speakers who’ll return to the stage at TED2014″(WebCite archive), TED, March 10, 2014.
- Jump up^ Schwartz, Ariel,”Remaking Open Offices So Introverts Do not Hate Them”(WebCite archive), Fast Company (fastcoexist.com), March 26, 2014.
- Jump up^ Nadworny, Elissa (February 18, 2016). “How Parents And Teachers Can Nurture The ‘Quiet Power Of Introverts” . NPR (National Public Radio). Archived from the original on April 18, 2016.
- Jump up^ Cain, Susan (speaker),”Susan Cain’s 2014 TED Talk | Announcing the Quiet Revolution”(WebCite archive), textual transcript or TED talk published March 29, 2014.
- Jump up^ Sellers, Patricia (June 3, 2015). “The secret power of introverts” . Fortune . Archived from the original on June 3, 2015.Article entitled “Soft Power” in the June 15, 2015 print edition.
- Jump up^ Holson, Laura M. (July 25, 2015). “Susan Cain instigates A ‘Quiet Revolution’ or Introverts With Speeches and Company” . The New York Times . Archived from the original on July 26, 2015