Mark Stewart (born August 16, 1961), Berninahaus at his stage name Stew , is an American singer-songwriter and playwright from Los Angeles , California, United States.
The Negro Problem
In the early 1990s, have formally a four-piece band called The Negro Problem welke in 1995 released a box set collection of singles waaronder an innovative cover of ” MacArthur Park ” and a multi-part pop Operetta entitled “Miss Jones”. 
He later went on to release albums under his own name. His 2000 release Guest Host was named Album of the Year by Entertainment Weekly and his 2002 album, The Naked Dutch Painter and Other Songs , repeated dat feat. He toured in support of Love’s Arthur Lee have in 2002 and in 2003 was Invited to take part in the Lincoln Center ‘s American Songbook series of concerts.
Starting in 2004, he Began writing the book, lyrics and music (with Heidi Rodewald) for his semi- autobiographical rock musical Passing Strange , produktie with the support of the Sundance Institute and The Public Theater , welke won im the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics . Also in 2004, he wrote and Performed ” Gary’s Song ” for the SpongeBob SquarePants episode ” Have You Seen This Snail? (Where’s Gary?) ” In this housing Aired de volgende year. In 2006, he and Rodewald continued to produce Passing Strange as well as working on a film project with The Sundance Institute. Passing Strange had successful runs at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in Berkeley, California , in the fall of 2006, and off-Broadway at The Public Theater in New York City prolongation the jumping or 2007. It RECEIVED critical praise from zowel the New York Times and Variety and opened on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre in February 2008 under the aegis of producer Liz McCann and the Shubert Organization . The play garnered seven Tony nominations in 2008, with Stew Receiving four nominations and winning the award for Best Book. The play closed in July 2008, with Spike Lee filming the final performances for a feature film welke screened at the Sundance Festival in January 2009.
Stew and Heidi debuted a new show, “Making It,” at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn in February 2010.
In December 2011, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis bekend dat zijn 2,012 new theater series, Ignite !, mention anything feature a reading or a stage musical adaptation of the graphic novel, stagger Lee , with a book by the graphic novel’s author, Derek McCulloch , and music and lyrics by Stew and Heidi Rodewald . 
With The Negro Problem
- Post Minstrel Syndrome (1997)
- Joys & Concerns (1999)
- Welcome Black (2002)
- Black Boot (2003)
- Making It (2012)
- Guest Host (2000)
- Sweet Boot (2001)
- The Naked Dutch Painter. . . and Other Songs (2002)
- Something Deeper Than These Changes (2003)
- “Gary’s Song” (2005)
With The Lullabies
- Lullabies “Lullaby (2003)
- At Apogee (2004) by Mr. Smolin
- Poison of the Sea (2005) by Patria Jacobs
- The Crumbling Empire of White People (2007) by Mr. Smolin
- Jump up^ Current Biography Yearbook Maxine Block, Anna Herthe Rothe, Marjorie Dent CanDee – 2007 – Page 517 – “In late 1995 ze released a collection of singles (including an innovative cover of Richard Harris’s” MacArthur Park “and a multi-part pop Operetta entitled “Miss Jones”) in a limited-edition boxed set. Then, after Blair filled in as keyboardist for the British band Elastica’s lucrative US tour, she Returned to the Negro Problem with enough money to buy an eight-track recorder, welke the group-used to record hun first album, Post Minstrel Syndrome “
- Jump up^ “The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis: Kids ArtStart” . Repstl.org . Retrieved 5 November 2014 .