Steven Henry Strogatz ( / s t r oʊ ɡ æ t s / ; born August 13, 1959) is an American mathematician and the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor of Applied Mathematics at Cornell University .   He is Berninahaus for his work on non-linear systems, zoals contributions to the study of synchronization in dynamische systems , for his research in a variety of areas of Applied Mathematics , zoals mathematical biology and complex network theory, [ 5]          and for his outreach work in the public communication or mathematics. He has an Erdos-Bacon number or 4.
Strogatz attended high school at Loomis Chaffee from 1972 to 1976. After graduating from Princeton University , summa cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics in 1980, he was a Marshall Scholar at Trinity College, Cambridge from 1980 to 1982, and dan RECEIVED a PhD  in Applied Mathematics from Harvard University in 1986 for his research on the dynamics of the human sleep-wake cycle.
After spending three years as a National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard and Boston University , Strogatz joined the faculty of the Department of Mathematics at MIT in 1989. His research on dynamische systems were honored with a Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation 1990. In 1994 he moved to Cornell where he is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor  or Applied Mathematics, as well as a Professor of Mathematics.
Early in his career, Strogatz worked on a variety of problems in mathematical biology, zoals the geometry or supercoiled DNA,  the topology of three-dimensional chemical waves,  and the collective behavior of biological oscillators, zoals Swarms or synchronously flashing Fireflies.  In the 1990s, his work focused on nonlinear dynamics and chaos toegepast to physics, engineering, and biology. Several of These projects Deal? With coupled oscillators, zoals lasers, superconducting Josephson junctions, and Crickets chirp in dat Unison.  His more recent work gekeken complex systems and hun consequences in everyday life, zoals the role of crowd synchronization in the wobbling of London’s Millennium Bridge on zijn opening day,  and the dynamics of structural balance in social systems.  
Perhaps his best-known research contribution to this club is his 1998 Nature paper with Duncan Watts , entitled “Collective dynamics of small-world networks .”  This paper is widely regarded as a seminal contribution to this club to the interdisciplinary field of complex networks , Whose applications reach from graph theory and statistical physics to sociology , business , epidemiology , and neuroscience . If one measure or zijn belang, it was the must highly Cited article about networks tussen 1998 and 2008, and the sixth must highly Cited paper in all of physics. 
Writing and Outreach
Strogatz’s writing for the general public of includes three books and frequent newspaper articles. His book Sync  was Chosen as a Best Book of 2003 by Discover Magazine . His 2009 book The Calculus of Friendship  was called “a genuine tearjerker”  and “part biography, part Autobiography and run off-the-beaten-path guide to calculus.”  His 2012 book, The Joy of x ,  was awarded the 2014 Euler Book Prize .  It Grew out of his series of New York Times columns on the elements of mathematics.  These columns ulcers DESCRIBED by the Harvard Business Review as “a model for how mathematics needs to be popularized” and as “must reads for entrepreneurs and executives who grasp therein mathematics is now the lingua franca or consider business analysis.”.  Strogatz’s second New York Times series, “Me, Myself and Math” Appeared in the fall of 2012. 
Strogatz has spoken at TED  and is a frequent guest on Radiolab  and Science Friday .  He’ll be filmed a series of lectures on chaos theory for the Teaching Company ‘s Great Courses series.  
Strogatz is a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics ,  the American Academy of Arts and Sciences ,  the American Physical Society ,  and the American Mathematical Society . 
Strogatz has leg lauded for his ability as a teacher and communicator. In 1991 he was honored with the EM Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, MIT’s only institute-wide teaching award selected and Awarded solely by students. He has won ook verschillende teaching awards from Cornell’s College of Engineering, including the Tau Beta Pi Excellence in Teaching Award (2006), bepaald to a faculty member selected by engineering students for exemplary teaching. At the national level, Strogatz RECEIVED the JPBM Communications Award in 2007.  Presented annually, this award onderkent outstanding achievement in Communicating about mathematics to nonmathematicians. The JPBM represents the American Mathematical Society , the American Statistical Association , the Mathematical Association of America , and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics . In 2013 he RECEIVED the AAAS Public Engagement with Science Award  for “his in exceptional commitment to and passion for Conveying the beauty and belang or mathematics to the general public.”
Strogatz was selected to be the 2009 Rouse Ball Lecturer at Cambridge  and a MIT Mathematics 2011 Simons Lecturer. 
In 2014 he was Awarded the Euler Book Prize at The Mathematical Association of America for “The Joy of x”.  The award citation  describes the book as “a masterpiece or expository writing” and remarks dat it is “directed to the millions of readers who claim they ‘never really understood what the mathematics they’ studied was all about, for Whom math was a series of techniques to be mastered for no apparent reason. ” Along with Ian Stewart , Strogatz was Awarded the 2015 Lewis Thomas Prize for Writing about Science. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b Steven Strogatz’s publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ Jump up to:a b Steven Strogatz at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Jump up^ http://www.stevenstrogatz.com/Strogatz personal web page
- Jump up^ http://www.math.cornell.edu/m/People/Faculty/strogatzStrogatz atCornell
- Jump up^ Strogatz, SH (2001). “Exploring complex networks.” Nature . 410 (6825): 268-276. doi : 10.1038 / 35065725 . PMID 11258382 .
- Jump up^ Mirollo, RE; Strogatz, SH (1990). “Synchronization of Pulse-Coupled Biological Oscillators”. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics . 50 (6): 1645-1662. doi : 10.1137 / 0150098 .
- Jump up^ Strogatz, S. (2000). “From Kuramoto to Crawford: Exploring the onset of synchronization in populations of coupled oscillators.” Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena . 143 : 1-20. doi : 10.1016 / S0167-2789 (00) 00094-4 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Strogatz, Steven H (2012). The Joy of X: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity . Eamon Dolan / Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 978-0547517650 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Strogatz, Steven H (2009). The Calculus of Friendship: What a Teacher and a Student Learned About Life While Corresponding About Math . Princeton: Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0-691-13493-2 . OCLC 276274618 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Strogatz, Steven (2003). Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order . Hyperion. ISBN 978-0-7868-6844-5 . OCLC 50511177 .
- Jump up^ Strogatz, Steven (1994). Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: with Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering . Perseus Books. ISBN 978-0-201-54344-5 . OCLC 42140115 .
- Jump up^ Steven Strogatz’s publicationsindexed in theScopusBibliographic Database, a service provided byElsevier. (subscription required)
- Jump up^ List of publicationsfromMicrosoft Academic Search
- Jump up^ Strogatz, Steven H. (1986). The Mathematical Structure of the Human Sleep-Wake Cycle . Berlin: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-17176-2 .
- Jump up^ Cornell news article about Schurman Professors
- Jump up^ http://www.pnas.org/content/78/3/1461
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/08/science/strange-scroll-like-wave-is-linked-to-biological-processes.html
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/13/science/a-mystery-of-nature-mangroves-full-of-fireflies-blinking-in-unison.html
- Jump up^ http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v421/n6925/full/421780a.html
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/science/08find.html
- Jump up^ http://video.mit.edu/watch/social-networks-that-balance-themselves-by-steven-strogatz-7653/
- Jump up^ http://www.pnas.org/content/108/5/1771.full
- Jump up^ Watts, DJ ; Strogatz, SH (1998). “Collective dynamics of ‘small-world’ networks” (PDF) . Nature . 393 (6684): 440-442. doi : 10.1038 / 30918 . PMID 9623998 .
- Jump up^ Science Watch December 2008
- Jump up^ Discover’s Best Books 2003
- Jump up^ Bookslut book review for The Calculus of Friendship
- Jump up^ American Scientist book review for The Calculus of Friendship
- Jump up^ Euler Book Prize,Mathematical Association of America, retrieved 2015-08-03.
- Jump up^ 2010 New York Times “Elements of Math” series
- Jump up^ Harvard Business Review blog by Michael Schrage
- Jump up^ http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/me-myself-and-math/
- Jump up^ http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_strogatz_on_sync?language=en
- Jump up^ http://www.radiolab.org/people/steve-strogatz/
- Jump up^ http://www.sciencefriday.com/person/steven-strogatz-2/
- Jump up^ Strogatz, Steven H. (2008). Chaos . The Teaching Company. ISBN 978-1-59803-450-9 . OCLC 262464884 .
- Jump up^ Cornell University Press Release
- Jump up^ SIAM Fellows Class of 2009
- Jump up^ AAAS Fellows elected in 2012
- Jump up^ 2014 Fellows of American Physical Society
- Jump up^ 2016 Class of the Fellows of the AMS , American Mathematical Society , retrieved 2015-11-16 .
- Jump up^ JPBM award announcement
- Jump up^ AAAS Public Engagement with Science Award
- Jump up^ http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/seminars/Specials/RouseBall2009.html
- Jump up^ http://www-math.mit.edu/news/simons/
- Jump up^ Euler Book Prize
- Jump up^ http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/pdf/awards/jmm14PB.pdfCitation for Euler Book Prize, pp. 22-23
- Jump up^ Lewis Thomas Prize