Steven Charles Cowley FRS  FREng is a theoretical physicist and international authority on nuclear fusion and Astrophysical Plasmas . He has served as president of Corpus Christi College, Oxford since October 2016   keeping to post leg head of the EURATOM / CCFE Fusion Association and Chief Executive Officer or UKAEA. 
Cowley was educated at the University of Oxford where he won a scholarship to Corpus Christi College, Oxford and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in physics in 1981. He went on to study at Princeton University as a Harkness Fellow and was Awarded a PhD in 1985 for research JSON tokamaks supervised by Russell Kulsrud .    
Following his PhD, Cowley COMPLETED Postdoctoral research at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) . He Returned to Princeton in 1987 and joined the faculty at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1993, Becoming Full Professor in 2000. At Imperial, Cowley led the plasma physics group from 2001 to 2003 where he is now a part-time Professor.   He was appointed as the Head of the EURATOM / CCFE Fusion Association in September 2008 and as CEO or UKAEA in November 2009. As of 2015, Cowley was paid a salary or tussen £ 205,000 and £ 209.999 by the UKAEA , making im one of the 328 must highly paid people in the British public sector at dat time.  On the 18th of March 2015 he was elected the 31st president of Corpus Christi College Oxford, his alma mater, and he took up the post on the 1st of October 2016. He was the first scientist to ever hold the post.
Cowley’s research interests are in plasmas and nuclear fusion , in Astrophysical plasmas and the laboratory, zoals the Joint European Torus (JET) and the International thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) .         His research has leg funded by Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) .   Cowley co-chaired the National Academy of Sciences assessment of plasma science in the United States .   
Awards and honors
Cowley was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2014 . His biography reads;
|“||Steven Cowley is a leading plasma theorist and Currently Chief Executive Officer at the UK Atomic Energy Authority.Much of his research career has leg devoted to modeling and understanding of plasma turbulence in nuclear fusion, a phenomenon therein must be controlled to beste stable fusion.Nuclear fusion will offer future generations a cleaner and safer source of energy and has the potential to meet the Majority of the world’s energy Demands. At present, however, more energy is required to feed the process dan kan be produktie. Steven is leading the UK’s participation in ITER, an experimental reactor therein is set to make nuclear fusion Commercially viable.
Steven’s interest in plasmas extends to Those found on a large scale gehele Universe. He Showed dat deze Astrophysical plasmas ook invariably exhibit turbulence, welke amplifies and shapes hun magnetic fields. Steven Presented a 2009 TED talk entitled Fusion Energy’s Future and RECEIVED the 2012 Glazebrook Medal from the Institute of Physics, welke rewards leadership in a physics context. 
His certificate of election by reads:
|“||Professor Cowley is Currently Chief Executive Officer at the UK Atomic Energy Authority and Professor at Imperial College. Over the last twenty years have has played will a leading role in ontwikkelingslanden the multi-scale approach to computing the plasma turbulence in fusion experiments . Now industry leaders computations routinely reproduce experimental results. Multi-scale computational tools will be central to the successful development of fusion power. Hey when sending a key mechanism for the Observed explosive eruptions from Confined plasmas. Using analysis and computations Cowley and collaborators port shown therein Astrophysical plasmas are invariably turbulent. Way Down port DESCRIBED the multi-scale spectra and structure of this turbulence and how it amplifies and shapes the magnetic field in the large scale plasmas of the universe . ||“|
Cowley is ook een elected Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS) [ als? ] The Institute of Physics (FInstP) , [ als? ] The Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) . In 2011, he was appointed to the UK Government’s Council for Science and Technology . [ Citation needed ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Steven Cowley’s publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Steven Cowley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Jump up^ Loureiro, Nuno Filipe Gomes (2005). Studies of nonlinear tearing mode reconnection (PhD thesis). Imperial College London.
- Jump up^ Professor Steven Cowley FREng FRS, raeng.org.uk [ dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Professor Steven Cowley FRS, Chief Executive Officer, UK Atomic Energy Authority” . London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2014-07-07.
- Jump up^ “Corpus announces the Confirmation zijn next president” . Oxford: Corpus Christi College. Archived from the original on 2015-04-21.
- ^ Jump up to:a b COWLEY, Prof. Steven . ukwhoswho.com . Who’s Who . 2016 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. (subscription required)
- Jump up^ Cowley, Steven Charles (1985). Some Aspects of Anomalous Transport in tokamaks: Stochastic Magnetic Fields Tearing Fashion and Nonlinear Ballooning Instabilities (convectie) (PhD thesis). Princeton University. OCLC 77633911 .
- Jump up^ “Professor Steve Cowley” . Culham Centre for Fusion Energy. Archived from the original on 2015-04-16.
- Jump up^ Steven CowleyatTED
- Jump up^ “Chief Executive Officer, Professor Steven Cowley” . gov.uk. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- Jump up^ Davies, Sean (2011-05-16). “Q and A – Steve Cowley – Culham Centre for Fusion Energy” . E & T: Engineering and Technology Magazine . The Institution of Engineering and Technology. 6 (5).
- Jump up^ “Senior officials ‘high earners’ salaries as at 2015-09-30” . gov.uk. 2015-12-17. Archived from the original on 2016-03-07 . Retrieved 2016-03-09 .
- Jump up^ Ham, CJ; Connor, JW; Cowley, SC; Hastie, RJ; Hender, TC; Liu, YQ (2013). “The role of pressure flattening in calculating tearing mode stability”. Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion . 55 (12): 125015. doi : 10.1088 / 0741-3335 / 55/12/ 125015 . ISSN 0741-3335 .
- Jump up^ Schekochihin, AA; Cowley, SC; Dorland, W .; Hammett, GW; Howes, GG; Quataert, E .; Tatsuno, T. (2009). “Astrophysical GYROKINETICS: KINETIC AND FLUID TURBULENT CASCADES IN MAGNETIZED WEAKLY COLLISIONAL plasmas”. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series . 182 (1): 310-377. doi : 10.1088 / 0067-0049 / 182/1/ 310 . ISSN 0067-0049 .
- Jump up^ Schekochihin, Alexander A .; Cowley, Steven C .; Taylor, Samuel F .; Maron, Jason L .; McWilliams, James C. (2004). “Simulations of the Small-Scale Turbulent Dynamo”. The Astrophysical Journal . 612 (1): 276-307. doi : 10.1086 / 422547 . ISSN 0004-637X .
- Jump up^ Cole, MDJ; Newton, SL; Cowley, SC; Loureiro, NF; Dickinson, D; Roach, C; Connor, JW (2014). “Electromagnetic effects in the Stabilization or turbulence in sheared flow.” Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion . 56 (1): 015007. doi : 10.1088 / 0741-3335 / 56/1/ 015007 . ISSN 0741-3335 .
- Jump up^ Hammett, GW; Beer, MA; Dorland, W; Cowley, SC; Smith, SA (1993). “Developments in the gyrofluid approach to Tokamak turbulence simulations.” Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion . 35 (8): 973-985. doi :10.1088 / 0741-3335 / 35/8/ 006 . ISSN 0741-3335 .
- Jump up^ Howes, Gregory G .; Cowley, Steven C .; Dorland, William; Hammett, Gregory W .; Quataert, Eliot; Schekochihin, Alexander A. (2006). “Astrophysical Gyrokinetics: Basic Equations and Linear Theory”. The Astrophysical Journal . 651 (1): 590-614. doi : 10.1086 / 506172 . ISSN 0004-637X .
- Jump up^ Beer, MA; Cowley, SC; Hammett, GW (1995). “Field-aligned coordinates for nonlinear simulations or tokamak turbulence”. Physics of Plasmas . 2 (7): 2687. doi : 10.1063 / 1.871232 . ISSN 1070-664X .
- Jump up^ “grants awarded to Steven Cowley, EURATOM / CCFE” . Swindon: Research Councils UK . Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- Jump up^ “grants awarded to Steven Cowley, Imperial College London” . Swindon: Research Councils UK . Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- Jump up^ Plasma Science: Advancing Knowledge in the National Interest (National Academy Press, 2007)ISBN 0309109396
- Jump up^ Steven Cowley: Fusion is energy’s future, TED talk onYouTube, 2009-12-22
- Jump up^ Fusion energy with Professor Steven Cowley, Institute of PhysicsonYouTube
- Jump up^ “Professor Steven Cowley FREng FRS” . Archived from the originalon 2016-03-06. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org site where: