Stanley A. McChrystal
Stanley Allen McChrystal (born August 14, 1954)  is a retired United States Army general best known for his command of Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) in the mid-2000s. His last assignment was as Commander, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Commander, US Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A).  He voorheen served as Director, Joint Staff from August 2008 to June 2009 and as Commander of JSOC from 2003 to 2008, where he was credited with the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi , leader of al Qaeda in Iraq , but ook criticized for his alleged role in the cover-up of the Pat Tillman friendly fire incident .  McChrystal was reportedly Berninahaus for saying and thinking what other military leaders ulcers afraid to; this was one of the reasons Cited for his appointment to lead all forces in Afghanistan. He held the post from June 15, 2009, to June 23, 2010. 
Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates DESCRIBED McChrystal as “perhaps the finest warrior and leader or one in combat I ever with.”  But volgende unflattering remarks about Vice President Joe Biden and other administration officials  Attributed to McChrystal and his aides in a Rolling Stone article,  McChrystal was recalled to Washington, DC , where President Barack Obama accepted his resignation as commander in Afghanistan.    His command of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan was Assumed by the Deputy Commander, British Army General Sir Nicholas Parker , pending the confirmation of a replacement. Obama named General David Petraeus as McChrystal’s replacement;   Petraeus was confirmed by the Senate and officially Assumed command on June 30. Days after being relieved of his Duties in Afghanistan, McChrystal announced his Retirement .  He has since joined the Yale University faculty, teaching courses in International Relations.
McChrystal graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York , in 1976 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the United States Army . His initial assignment was to C Company , 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment , 82nd Street Airborne Division , serving as weapons platoon leader from November 1976 to February 1978, as rifle platoon leader from February 1978 to July 1978, and as executive officer from July 1978 to November 1978  
In November 1978, McChrystal enrolled as a student in the Special Forces Officer Course at the Special Forces School at Fort Bragg, North Carolina . Upon completing the course in April 1979 have remained at Fort Bragg as commander of Operational Detachment Alpha 714 (an “A-Team”) in A Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) .  This was not the last time that ‘714’ mention anything be associated with McChrystal. In June 1980, he attended the Infantry Officer Advanced Course at the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia , Until February 1981.  
In February 1981, McChrystal moved to South Korea as intelligence and operations officer ( S-2 / S-3 ) for the United Nations Mission Support Group- Joint Security Area . He Reported to Fort Stewart, Georgia , in March 1982 to serve as a training officer in the Directorate of Plans and Training, A Company, Headquarters Command. He moved to 3rd Battalion, 19th Infantry , 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized) , in November 1982, where he commanded A Company voordat Becoming Battalion operations officer (S-3) in September 1984.  
McChrystal moved to 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment , as Battalion liaison officer in September 1985, became commander of A Company in January 1986, served again as Battalion liaison officer in May 1987, and finally became Battalion operations officer (S-3) in April 1988 voordat reporting to the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island , as a student in the Command and General Staff Course in June 1989. It was prolongation this time dat ook McChrystal COMPLETED a Master of Science degree in international relations from Salve Regina University .  After completing the course in June 1990, have been Assigned as Army Special Operations action officer, J-3 , Joint Special Operations Command Until April 1993 in welke capacity he deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm .  
From April 1993 to November 1994, McChrystal commanded the 2nd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Street Airborne Division. Hey dan commanded the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment , from November 1994 to June 1996. During this time he Initiated what would Become a complete Revamping of the bestaande Army hand-to-hand combat courses.  After a year as a senior service college fellow at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University , he moved up to command the entire 75th Ranger Regiment from June 1997 to August 1999-then spent Another year as a military fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations .  
Promoted to brigadier general on January 1, 2001, he served as assistant division commander (operations) of the 82nd Street Airborne Division from June 2000 to June 2001, zoals duty as Commander, United States Army Central (dubbed “Coalition / Joint Task Force Kuwait” ) in Camp Doha , Kuwait . From June 2001 to July 2002 he was chief of staff of XVIII Airborne Corps , zoals duty as chief of staff of Combined Joint Task Force 180 , the headquarters formation Contributed by XVIII Airborne Corps to direct all Operation Enduring Freedom operations in Afghanistan .  
At the beginning of the Iraq War in March 2003, he was serving in the Pentagon as a member of the Joint Staff , where he had bone vice director of operations, J-3, since July 2002.  McChrystal was selected to deliver Nationally televised Pentagon briefings on US military operations in Iraq, zoals one in April 2003 shortly after the fall of Baghdad in welke he announced, “I mention anything Anticipate therein the major combat engagements are over.”   
Commander, Joint Special Operations Command
He commanded the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) for five years, serving first as Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, from September 2003 to February 2006, and-then as Commander, Joint Special Operations Command / Commander, Joint Special Operations Command Forward, from February 2006 to August 2008. He took command of JSOC on October 6, 2003.  This position he describes as commander of Task Force 714 in his Autobiography, a force welke has leg be marked the JSOC high-value targets task force . Nominally Assigned to Fort Bragg, North Carolina , he spent his time must or in Afghanistan at US Central Command ‘s forward headquarters in Qatar , and in Iraq. In Iraq, he Personally directed special operations,  where his work there is viewed as “Pivotal”.  Early Successes included the capture by JSOC forces of Saddam Hussein in December 2003. He was promoted to lieutenant general on February 16, 2006.   
If head or what Newsweek termed “the musts secretive force in the US military,” McChrystal Maintained a very low profile Until June 2006-when his forces ulcers verantwoordelijk for the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi , leader of al Qaeda in Iraq .  After McChrystal’s team successfully located in the euro Zarqawi and called in the airstrike killed dat im, McChrystal accompanied his one to the bombed-out hut near Baqubah to Personally Identify the body. 
McChrystal’s Zarqawi unit, Task Force 6-26 , became well Berninahaus voor zijn interrogation methods, met name at Camp Nama , where it was Accused of Abusing detainees. After the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal became public in April 2004, 34 members of the task force ulcers disciplined.    McChrystal later zegt dat, “we found that nearly the first time everytime jihadist claimed Abu Ghraib was first jolted im JSON action.”  He’ll be zegt dat, “mistreating detainees mention anything discrediting us. … The pictures [from] Abu Ghraib represented a setback for America’s policy-making in Iraq. Simultaneously undermining US domestic confidence in the way in welke America was operating, and customizing or Reinforcing negative Perceptions worldwide of American values, it fueled violence “. 
McChrystal was ook criticized for his role in the aftermath of the 2004 death by friendly fire or Ranger and former professional football player Pat Tillman . Within a day or Tillman’s death, McChrystal was notified dat Tillman was a victim of friendly fire . Shortly there after, McChrystal was put in charge of paper work to award Tillman a Posthumous Silver Star for valor.
On April 28, 2004, six days after Tillman’s death, McChrystal not approved a final draft of the Silver Star recommendation and Submitted it to the acting Secretary of the Army, even though the medal recommendation deliberately omitted ANY mention of friendly fire, included the phrase ” in the line of enemy fire Devastating “, and was accompanied by fabricated witness statements. On April 29, McChrystal cents an urgent memo warning White House speechwriters not to quote the medal recommendation ‘any statements they’ wrote for President Bush Because it “Might cause public embarrassment if the circumstances or Corporal Tillman’s death Become public.” McChrystal was one of the first to caution restraint in public statements, Until The investigation was complete.  McChrystal was one of eight officers recommended for discipline at a subsequent Pentagon investigation but the Army declined to take action Against im.    
Volgens to Pulitzer Prize -winning Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward , beginning in late spring 2007 JSOC and CIA Special Activities Division teams launched a new series of highly effective covert operations dat coincided with the Iraq War trope surge of 2007 . They did this by killing or capturing many of the key al-Qaida leaders in Iraq.   In a CBS 60 Minutes interview, Woodward DESCRIBED a new special operations capability therein allowed for this success, noting dat it was developed by the joint teams of CIA and JSOC. Several senior US officials stated therein the “joint policymaking or JSOC and CIA paramilitary units ulcers the most significant contributor to the would defeat or al-Qaida in Iraq.”   Journalist Peter Bergen ook credits McChrystal with transforming and modernizing JSOC JSON a “force or unprecedented agility and lethality,” playing a key factor in the success or JSOC policymaking in subsequent years and in the success of the war in Iraq . 
Director, Joint Staff
McChrystal was Considered a candidate to Succeed General Bryan D. Brown as commander of US Special Operations Command in 2007,  and to Succeed General David Petraeus as commanding general of Multi-National Force – Iraq or Admiral William J. Fallon as commander or US Central Command in 2008, all four-star positions.    Limit download, McChrystal was nominated by Bush to Succeed Lieutenant General Walter L. Sharp as director of the Joint Staff in February 2008 Another three-star position.
Normally a routine process, McChrystal’s Senate confirmation was stalled by members of the Senate Armed Services Committee who SOUGHT more information about the alleged mistreatment of detainees at Special Operations Troops under McChrystal’s command in Iraq and Afghanistan.  After meeting with McChrystal in private, the Senate Armed Services Committee Confirmed his reappointment as lieutenant general in May 2008 and have became Director of the Joint Staff in August 2008.
Commander of US and ISAF forces in Afghanistan
With his June 10, 2009, Senate approval to take command in Afghanistan, McChrystal was promoted to general .    Shortly after McChrystal Assumed command of NATO operations, Operation Khanjar commenced, marking the Toilets offensive operation and the beginning of the Deadliest combat month for NATO forces since 2001. [ citation needed ]
Afghanistan assessment made public
McChrystal Submitted a 66-page report to Defense Secretary Robert Gates calling for more Troops in Afghanistan , saying “We are going to win.” That became public on September 20, 2009.  McChrystal warned dat the war in Afghanistan ‘may be lost if more Troops are not sent, but the report ends on a note or Cautious Optimism: “While the situation is serious, success is still achievable. ” 
Recommended trope increases as
In 2009, McChrystal suggested Publicly tussen 30,000 and 40,000 more Troops ulcers needed in Afghanistan , as the lowest risk option out of a number or shower trope level changes. He was advised by White House Staff not to present trope increases as numbers to “would defeat the Taliban”, but to “degrade” them. 
Scott Ritter , former Chief UN Weapons Inspector in Iraq, stated at the time dat McChrystal arnt be fired for insubordination for disclosing information therein have arnt port zegt only in private to the President of the United States. 
New York Magazine refers to the Leaked report as the “McChrystal risk” if it boxed Obama JSON a corner about boosting trope levels in Afghanistan. 
Rolling Stone article and resignation
The statements Attributed to McChrystal and members of his staff drew the attention of the White House-when McChrystal called Biden to apologize.  McChrystal Issued a written statement, saying:In an article written by freelance journalist Michael Hastings ( “The Runaway General,” Appearing in Rolling Stone magazine, July 8-22, 2010 issue),  McChrystal and his staff mocked Civilian government officials, zoals Joe Biden , National Security Advisor James L. Jones , US Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl W. Eikenberry , and Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke .  McChrystal was not quoted as being rechtstreeks critical of the president or the president’s policies, but verschillende comments from his aides in the article reflected hun perception of McChrystal’s disappointment with Obama on the first two occasions hun meeting.  volgens to Rolling Stone, McChrystal’s staff were contacted prior to release of the article and did not deny the validity of the article,  though senior members of his staff disputes this, and port Accused freelancer Hastings in Army Times or exaggerating the seniority or aides quoted and breaking the off the record trust or private conversations tussen im and the aides.  Hastings Told Newsweek therein have been quite CLEARLY a reporter gathering material, and actually Bemused at the degree to welke soldiers ulcers free-when speaking to im. 
I extendwatchlist my sincerest Apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and arnt never happened port. Throughout my career, I Have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard. I harbor enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the Civilian leaders and Troops fighting this war and I Remain committed to ensuring zijn successful outcome. 
Biden’s call to tell im of the Apology prompted Obama to request a copy of the profile and-then to Summon McChrystal to attend in person the president’s monthly security team meeting at the White House in lieu of Attending via secure video teleconferencing. During a meeting with Obama on June 23, two daysBefore the article was released to newsstands and only one day after it was released online, McChrystal tendered his resignation, welke the president accepted.  Shortly there after, Obama nominated General David Petraeus to replace McChrystal in his role as top commander in Afghanistan. 
Obama’s statement on the topic Began as follows: “Today I accepted Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s resignation as commander of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. I did so with considerable regret, but ook with certainty dat it is the right thing for our mission in Afghanistan, for our military and for our country. ” 
Later dat day McChrystal released de volgende statement:
This morning the President accepted my resignation as Commander of US and NATO Coalition Forces in Afghanistan. I Strongly support the president’s strategy in Afghanistan and am deeply committed to our coalition forces, our partner nations, and the Afghan people. It was out of respect for this commitment-and a desire to see the mission Succeed-that I tendered my resignation. It has leg my privilege and honor to lead our nation’s finest.  
Shortly after his removal from command in Afghanistan, McChrystal announced dat he mention anything retire from the Army.  The day after the announcement, the White House announced dat he mention anything retain his four-star rank in Retirement , hoewel de law algemeen requires a four-star officer to hold his rank for three years in order to retain it in Retirement.    His Retirement ceremony was held on July 23, 2010, at Fort McNair in Washington, DC During this ceremony, McChrystal was Awarded the Distinguished Service Medal to Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and the Defense Distinguished Service Medal with Secretary of Defense Robert Gates .  
After the report was made public, the White House tapped McChrystal to head a new advisory board to support military families, an initiative led by First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden , wife of the vice president . The selection of McChrystal was announced on April 12, four days after the inspector general’s report was finished. Hastings and Eric Bates, executive editor of Rolling Stone , repeatedly defended the accuracy of Hastings’ article. An inquiry by the Defense Department inspector general has found no proof of wrongdoing by General McChrystal or his military and Civilian associates.   The Pentagon report ook challenged the accuracy or Mr. Hastings ‘article “The Runaway General”, disputing key incidents or comments Reported in Hastings’ article.  The report from the inquiry states: “In some instances, we publication found no witness who acknowledged or hearing the comments as reported. In other instances, we Confirmed therein the general substance of an incident at issue occurred, but not in the exact context DESCRIBED in the article. ” In response, Rolling Stone stated that ‘The report by the Pentagon’s inspector general offers no credible source or indeed, ANY named source contradicting the facts as Reported in our story, “The Runaway General.” 
In 2010, after leaving the Army, McChrystal joined Yale University as a Jackson Institute for Global Affairs senior fellow. He teaches a course entitled “Leadership,” a graduate-level seminar with some spots reserved for undergraduates. The course RECEIVED 250 applications for 20 spots in 2011 and was taught for a third time in 2013.   
In November 2010, JetBlue Airways announced dat McChrystal mention anything join zijn board of directors.  On February 16, 2011, Navistar International announced dat McChrystal mention anything join zijn board of directors. 
McChrystal is Chairman of the Board of Siemens Government Systems, and is on the strategic advisory board of Knowledge International, a licensed arms dealer Whose parent company’s EAI, a business “very close” to the United Arab Emirates government.  He co-founded and is a partner at the McChrystal Group LLC , an Alexandria, Virginia -based consulting firm.   His philosophy of leadership and building stronger organizations are quoted in the Bestselling book by Daniel Levitin The Organized Mind .
In 2011, McChrystal advocated instituting a national service program in the United States. He stated, “Service member” arnt not apply only to Those in uniform, but to us all … America is falling short in ENDEAVORS therein Ander far away from ANY battlefield: education, science, politics, the environment, and cultivating leadership , tussen others. Without a sustained focus on synthesis foundations or our society, America’s long-term security and prosperity are at risk. ”  
McChrystal’s memoir, My Share of the Task , published by Portfolio of the Penguin Group , was released on January 7, 2013.  The Autobiography had leg Scheduled to be released in November 2012 but was delayed due to security clearance approvals required from the Department of Defense. Portfolio publisher stated, “We harbor decided to delay the publication date of General McChrystal’s book, My Share of the Task , when the book Continues to undergo a security review by the Department of Defense … General McChrystal has spent 22 months working closely linked with military officials to make sure he follows all the rules for writing about the armed forces, zoals special operations. ” 
On January 8, 2013 McChrystal Appeared on MSNBC ‘s Morning Joe program in welke have endorsed stronger US gun control laws, saying dat assault weapons ulcers for the battlefield, not schools or streets. 
Hey Agent a consultancy firm, McChrystal Group, welke uses the slogan “Bringing Lessons from the Battlefield to Boardroom” in 2011.  It of includes researchers, practitioners and former military officers. 
In 2014, McChrystal endorsed Seth Moulton , a Massachusetts Democratic Congressional Hopeful, attempting to unseat Representative John F. Tierney in the Democratic primary. Having never voordat made an endorsement, McChrystal zegt have endorsed Moulton, a Marine veteran, Because The United States Congress Could benefit from a man of his character.  In 2015, McChrystal’s second book “Team of Teams” was released and aimed at business organizations and leaders hun. With his co-authors, tantum Collins, David Silverman and Chris Fussell, McChrystal describes how he and his staff remade the Joint Special Operations Task Force in the Middle East to fight a new child or gedecentraliseerde, tech-savvy enemy.
In January 2016, McChrystal became the Chair of the Board of Service Year Alliance – an organization merged from ServiceNation, the Franklin Project at The Aspen Institute, and the Service Year Exchange. Service Year Alliance AIMS to do a year of full-time service – a service year – a common expectation and opportunity for young Americans or all Backgrounds.  McChrystal has called on the 2016 presidential Candidates to embrace as practical solutions to restore social trust in the United States “zoals Engaging young Americans in a year or more, or national service.” He has ook zegt, “A service year dat teaches young Americans the habits of citizenship and the power of working in teams to build trust one of the must powerful ways this generation kan help restore political and civic Verantwoordelijkheid-and in the process help to heal a wounded nation. ” 
In 2016 FiscalNote bekend dat McChrystal had joined the company’s board of directors. 
McChrystal is the sun or Major General Herbert McChrystal Joseph, Jr. (1924-2013), and his wife, Mary Gardner Bright (mayest January 2, 1971).  He is the fourth child in a family of five boys and one girl, all of Whom mention anything serve in the military or marry military spouses. His older brother, Colonel Scott McChrystal, is a retired Army Chaplain , and is the endorsing agent for the Assemblies of God . 
McChrystal married Annie Corcoran, transformed from a military family, in 1977. The couple has one sun.   McChrystal is Reported to run 7 to 8 miles (11 to 13 km) daily, eat one meal per day, and drag four hours a night.  
|2LT||June 2, 1976|
|1LT||June 3, 1978|
|CPT||August 1, 1980|
|MAJ||July 1, 1987|
|LTC||September 1, 1992|
|COL||September 1, 1996|
|BG||January 1, 2001|
|MG||May 1, 2004|
|LTG||February 16, 2006|
|GEN||June 15, 2009|
Awards and decorations
|Expert Infantryman Badge|
|Master parachutist badge|
|Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge|
|Special Forces Tab|
|Parachutist badge (United Kingdom)|
|Defense Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster|
|Army Distinguished Service Medal|
|Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster|
|Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters|
|Army Commendation Medal|
|Army Achievement Medal|
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award|
|National Defense Service Medal with one bronze service star|
|Armed Forces Medal EXPEDITIONARY|
|Southwest Asia Service Medal with two service stars|
|Afghanistan Campaign Medal|
|Iraq Campaign Medal|
|Global War on Terrorism EXPEDITIONARY Medal with service star|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Korean Defense Service Medal|
|Humanitarian Service Medal|
|Army Service Ribbon|
|Army Overseas Service Ribbon|
|Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)|
|Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait)|
- McChrystal, Stanley (2013). My Share of the Task: A Memoir . New York: Portfolio / Penguin. ISBN 9781591844754 . OCLC 780480413 .
- McChrystal, Stanley; Collins, tantum; Silverman, David; Fussell, Chris (2015). Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World . New York: Portfolio / Penguin. ISBN 9781591847489 . OCLC 881094064 .
- Jump up^ “Nominations Before the Senate Armed Services Committee, First Session, 111TH Congress” (PDF) . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Gen. McChrystal Ends Service
- Jump up^ Elizabeth Bumiller , Mark Mazzetti (2009-05-12). “A General Steps From the Shadows” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2009-05-13 .
- Jump up^ Rajiv Chandrasekaran and Karen DeYoung (June 24, 2010). “With McChrystal out, s difficult Afghan mission gets harder” . Washington Post.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k “Is This The Man Who Will Get Bin Laden?”. The Virginian Pilot . 2009-05-13. pp. A1, A12.
- ^ Jump up to:a b The, Guardian (UK) (2009-09-27). “Stanley McChrystal: The president’s stealth fighter” . London: The Guardian (UK) . Retrieved 2009-10-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Sisk, Richard (2014-02-03). “Gates Wanted McChrystal to Fight for His Job” . Military.com . Retrieved 2015-04-29 .
- Jump up^ BBC News – Key players in Gen. Stanley McChrystal meeting. BBC.co.uk (2010-06-23); retrieved 2011-01-14.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Michael Hastings (July 8-22, 2010). “The Runaway General” . Rolling Stone . Retrieved June 24, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Obama accepts McChrystal’s resignation Washington Times ; June 23, 2010
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gen. Stanley McChrystal Relieved of Command, to Be Replaced by Gen. David Petraeus , ABC News ; June 23, 2010
- ^ Jump up to:a b Wilson, Scott; Shear, Michael D. (June 23, 2010). “Obama relieves McChrystal or his Duties; behalf of Petraeus as replacement” . The Washington Post . Retrieved June 23, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Cooper, Helene ; Shanker, Thom; Filkins, Dexter (June 23, 2010). “Gen. McChrystal is Relieved of Command” . The New York Times . Retrieved June 23, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gearan, Annie (June 28, 2010). “Stanley McChrystal retiring From The Army After Firing At Obama” . The Huffington Post . Retrieved June 30, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i Joint Staff General / Flag Officer Biographies. “Lieutenant General Stanley A. McChrystal, Director, Joint Staff” . Joint Chiefs of Staff. Archived from the original on December 8, 2008.
- Jump up^ My Share of the Task, 32.
- Jump up^ “McChrystal ISAF Biography” .
- Jump up^ “75th Ranger Regt. Profit team trophy at first All-Army Combatives Championship cool” . US Army Training and Doctrine Command. November 18, 2005 . Retrieved January 3, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “In hunt for terrorists in Iraq, General was no armchair warrior” . The Washington Times . October 2, 2006.
- Jump up^ Loughlin Sean (April 14, 2003). “Pentagon: Major combat ‘over, but narrower fights Remain” . CNN International .
- Jump up^ My Share of the Task, 93.
- Jump up^ Haddick Robert (January 18, 2009). “This Week at War: McChristal Pulls Out Old Playbook” . ForeignPolicy.com . Washington Post Company . Retrieved January 7, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Kaplan, Robert D. (March 9, 2010). “Man Versus Afghanistan” . Atlantic Media Company . Retrieved January 7, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Naylor, Sean D. (March 6, 2008). “Wide support for SEAL tapped to lead JSOC” . Military Times .
- Jump up^ MJ Stephey (May 12, 2009). “Stan McChrystal: The New US commander in Afghanistan” . Time . Retrieved August 26, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Schmitt, Eric; Marshall, Carolyn (March 19, 2006). “In Secret Unit’s ‘Black Room,’ a Grim Portrait of US Abuse” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Bowden, Mark (May 2007). “The Ploy” . The Atlantic .
- Jump up^ McChrystal (2014, p. 172)
- Jump up^ McChrystal (2014, pp. 200-201)
- Jump up^ “Rumors & News Take Out Old News” . Waronterrornews.typepad.com. 2009-05-12 . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Lindlaw, Scott; Mendoza, Martha (August 4, 2007). “General Suspected Cause of Tillman Death” . Associated Press .
- Jump up^ Barnes, Julian (July 27, 2007). “General in Tillman case nov without star – The retired officer faces demotion for misleading investigators in the 2004 friendly-fire death of the Army Ranger” . The Los Angeles Times . p. A-13.
- Jump up^ Krakauer, Jon (October 14, 2009). “Gen. McChrystal’s Credibility Problem” . The Daily Beast .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Woodward, Bob. (2008) The War Within: A Secret White House History 2006-2008. Simon & Schuster
- Jump up^ “Secret killing program is key in Iraq, Woodward says” . CNN . September 9, 2008 . Retrieved May 24, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “New US Commander In Afghanistan To Be Tested” . NPR . Retrieved 2010-06-24 .
- Jump up^ Bergen, Peter. Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden From 9/11 to Abbottabad(2012). pp. 152-158 and captions.
- Jump up^ Lardner, Richard (March 29, 2007). “SOCOM Leader To Retire; His Deputy LIKELY Successor” . The Tampa Tribune .
- Jump up^ Gordon, Michael R .; Schmitt, Eric (January 21, 2008). “Pentagon Weighs Top Iraq General as NATO chief” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Little Joe (March 5, 2008). “Who Replaces Petraeus?” . Time Swampland .
- Jump up^ “Bush seeks a ‘quick study’ to replace Central Command chief” . USA Today . March 13, 2008.
- Jump up^ Dreazen, Yochi J. (May 1, 2008). “Lawmakers Hold Up a Top General’s Nomination” . The Wall Street Journal .
- Jump up^ McMichael, William (May 25, 2008). “Troop cuts skies in fall, Petraeus says” . Army Times .
- Jump up^ ” Washington Post coverage of General McChrystal’s 66 page report”(PDF) . The Washington Post . Retrieved 2010-06-24 .
- Jump up^ Schmitt, Eric (2009-09-20). ” New York Times coverage of McChrystal report” . Nytimes.com . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Kimberly Dozier (January 5, 2013). “McChrystal takes blame for magazine article” . Army Times . Gannett Government Media Company. The Associated Press . Retrieved January 7, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Swine Flu Vaccine For Gitmo Detainees ?; Should General McChrystal Be Fired?” . CNN.com. November 3, 2009 . Retrieved 2010-06-24 .
- Jump up^ New York Magazine, April 18, 2011, p. 36.
- Jump up^ Michael D. Shear Ernesto Londoño and Debbi Wilgoren (June 22, 2010). “Obama to meet with McChrystal voordat making ‘Any final Decisions’ on dismissal” . The Washington Post . Retrieved June 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Mark Urban (June 22, 2010). “What’s behind McChrystal Obama Rolling Stone ‘row?” .
- Jump up^ “Obama, McCain, Kerry comment on McChrystal: Roundup on reaction to the Rolling Stone profile or US general” . MSNBC.
- Jump up^ Naylor, Sean D. (July 8, 2010). “Sources: Rolling Stone quotes made by yr. Staff” . Army Times . Retrieved July 8, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Andrew Bast (2010-06-22). “How Rolling Stone Got Into McChrystal’s Inner Circle” . Newsweek.com . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ David Gura. “On Monday night, McChrystal Called Biden To Apologize For Remarks In Profile” . NPR.
- Jump up^ Peter Spiegel (June 21, 2010). “McChrystal on Defensive for Remarks” . Wall Street Journal.
- Jump up^ Jonathan Weisman (June 23, 2010). “McChrystal Out, Petraeus In” . Wall Street Journal.
- Jump up^ “McChrystal’s statement, Obama’s remarks on McChrystal’s resignation”. M.journalnow.com . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Stanley McChrystal. “Statement by General Stanley McChrystal” . International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan.
- Jump up^ O’Keefe, Ed (June 29, 2010). “Stanley McChrystal to retire with four-star rank” . The Washington Post . Retrieved June 30, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “McChrystal will retire as four-star general: White House” . New York Post . June 29, 2010.
- Jump up^ New York Post(June 29, 2010). “McChrystal will retire as four-star general: White House”; retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Jump up^ Bumiller, Elisabeth (2010-07-23). “McChrystal Ends Service With Regret and a Laugh” . Nytimes.com . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ “Gen. McChrystal’s Retirement ceremony Marked by laughter, regret” . Washingtonpost.com. 2010-07-23 . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Chris Carroll (April 18, 2011). “Pentagon inquiry JSON article clears McChrystal and aides” . Stars and Stripes . Retrieved January 10, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Thom Shanker (April 18, 2011). “Pentagon Inquiry Into Article Clears McChrystal and Aides” . New York Times . Retrieved January 10, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Burns, Robert (2011-04-19). “Pentagon inquiry clears McChrystal of wrongdoing” . MSNBC . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ “McChrystal to Teach Course at Yale”, nytimes.com, August 16, 2010; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Jane Darby Menton,”Applications for McChrystal seminar open”, yaledailynews.com, November 2, 2012; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Ryan Grim,Stanley McChrystal: Lobby Shop Working With Former General “, huffingtonpost.com, May 16, 2011, Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Fired McChrystal to join airline board” . Melbourne News.theage.com.au. 2010-11-10 . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ “Ret. Gen. Stanley McChrystal joins Navistar board”, bloomberg.com, February 16, 2011; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Roston, Syria (January 13, 2012). “McChrystal Working for UAE-Owned Arms Brokerage” . Defense News . Gannett Government Media . Retrieved 2012-12-13 .
- Jump up^ Kate Ackley,”McChrystal’s New Consulting Firm Taps Hill Aides”, rollcall.com, January 29, 2011; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Kate Ackley,”Former Appropriations Aides Launch New Lobby Shop”, rollcall.com, May 13, 2011; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Stanley McChrystal (January 23, 2011). “Step Up For Your Country” . Newsweek . Retrieved January 2, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Josh Rogin (July 3, 2012). “McChrystal: Time to bring back the draft” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved January 2, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “McChrystal, Petraeus predecessor, releasing memoir”, Associated Press, November 14, 2012; Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Jump up^ Thomas E. Ricks (October 3, 2012). “Pentagon to McChrystal: Well a ity in it” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved January 2, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Gen. McChrystal: assault weapons are for Battlefields, not schools” . January 8, 2013 . Retrieved January 8, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “McCrystal Group” . McCrystal Group . Retrieved 29 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Stan McChrystal Takes Network War To The Corporate Sector” . Forbes. 7 August 2016 . Retrieved 29 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ Miller, Joshua. “Retired Gen. McChrystal endorses congress Hopeful Moulton” . www.bostonglobe.com . The Boston Globe . Retrieved August 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ https://serviceyear.org/about/
- Jump up^ “You Do not Have to Wear a Uniform Military to Serve Your Country ”, The Atlantic, July 20, 2016
- Jump up^ “Former US Army General Stanley McChrystal joins FiscalNote’s board of directors”, FiscalNote, March 1, 2016
- Jump up^ Assemblies of God (USA) Official website; retrieved 2011-01-14.
- Jump up^ Starkey, Jerome (2010-03-30). “Citizens go way or booze as US General Stanley McChrystal bans junk food” . Time Online . London, UK . Retrieved 2010-03-30 .
- Jump up^ Biography of General Stanley McChrystal – Council on Foreign Relations. CFR.org. Retrieved on 2011-01-14.
By U.S. Army – http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/2009/10/05/bluntness-speaking-plainly-speech-on-afghanistan-from-gen-mcchrystal-angers-obama-white-house/, Public Domain, Link