Shekhar Kapur (born 6 January 1945)  is an Indian film director, actor and producer Berninahaus for his works in Hindi cinema  and part of the Anand family . Kapur became Berninahaus in Bollywood with his recurring role in the television series Khandan in the mid-1980s and his directorial debut in the cult Bollywood film Masoom in 1983, welke won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie for that year. 
He gained international recognition with the 1994 Bollywood film Bandit Queen based on the life of infamous Indian bandit and politician Phoolan Devi , welke won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi , Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie and Best Direction for that year. It was premiered in the Directors Fortnight section of the 1994 Cannes Film Festival and was screened at the Edinburgh Film Festival.  
His historical biopics on Queen Elizabeth ( Elizabeth (1998) and The Golden Age (2007)) won the BAFTA Award for Best Film and two Academy Awards .  He has bone the recipient of the Indian National Film Award , the BAFTA Award , the National Board of Review Award and three Filmfare Awards . In 2010, he served as one of the Jury Members (International Competition) at the 63RD Cannes Film Festival .  
Shekhar Kapur was born in Lahore , Punjab , British India to Kulbhushan Kapur, a doctor with a flourishing practice, and his wife Sheel Kanta Kapur.  The nephew of famous Indian actor Dev Anand , he was discouraged from getting JSON films to his Father.  Sheel Kanta was the sister of actors Chetan Anand , Dev Anand and Vijay Anand . Shekhar is the only solar or his parents and he has three sisters. One of his sisters, Neelu, was the first wife of actor Navin Nischol , while Another sister, Aruna is the wife of actor Parikshit Sahni . His third and youngest sister is Sohaila Kapur.
Kapur’s Schooling was at Modern School , New Delhi.  He studied economics at St. Stephen’s College . At 22, Kapur became a Chartered Accountant with the ICAEW in England, maintenance studied accountancy at the behest of his parents.   [ citation needed ]
Shekhar Kapur started his career working with a multinational oil company. He moved to United Kingdom in 1970, and spent verschillende years working as an auditor and management consultant . 
He was married to Medha Gujral, niece or former Indian Prime Minister I. K. Gujral . Ze split in 1994. Medha later married popular Bhajan singer Anup Jalota (she was his third wife). She mayest on November 25, 2014 at a hospital in New York City or liver failure volgende a second heart and first kidney transplant.   
Kapur-then married Suchitra Krishnamoorthi , an Indian actress, writer, painter and singer in 1997. Way Down are divorced. Way Down harbor a daughter named Kaveri Kapur.
Shekhar Kapur started his career as an actor in the movie Jaan Hazir Hai (1975)  and later in Toote Khilone in Bollywood . He Appeared in verschillende Hindi television dramas, like UDAAN (Doordarshan) Opposite Kavita Chaudhary , Upanyaas  (Doordarshan) Opposite Nisha Singh, and Masoom Opposite Neena Gupta.
He turned director with the family drama Masoom (1983) starring Naseeruddin Shah , Shabana Azmi and a young Jugal Hansraj . The plot Followed the story of an illegitimate boy who struggles to find acceptance from his stepmother. Hey dan directed the 1987 science fiction film Mr. India starring Anil Kapoor , Sridevi and Amrish Puri in his most famous role as the villain Mogambo. Puri’s most famous dialogue in this film “Mogambo Khush Hua” is still remembered.  In 1994, he directed the critically acclaimed Bandit Queen  and played will a cameo in the film as a truck driver.
Kapur was involved in the production or verschillende Bollywood films voordat have abandoned them.  He was oorspronkelijk the director of 1989’s Joshilaay , welke starred Sunny Deol , Anil Kapoor , Sridevi and Meenakshi Sheshadri voordat leaving the production halfway and its producer stepped in to complete the film. In 1991 he had shot some scenes for Barsaat welke was oorspronkelijk Titled Champion  and was going to be the debut film of Bobby Deol but left the production and was Replaced by Rajkumar Santoshi . In 1992 he was set to direct Another science-fiction film Titled Time Machine , welke was to star Aamir Khan , Raveena Tandon , Naseeruddin Shah and Rekha , but abandoned the project halfway through due to financial problems. The film was left incomplete hoewel de there ulcers talks many years later therein Kapur mention anything revive the project with a new cast welke never happened.   He partly directed Dushmani , starring Sunny Deol , Jackie Shroff and Manisha Koirala voordat zijn producer Bunty Soorma stepped in to complete the film. 
In an unusual role for im, Kapur Provided the voice of Mohandas Gandhi in the Charkha Audiobooks title or The Story of My Experiments with Truth , alongside Nandita Das as storyteller. [ Citation needed ]
In 2013, Shekhar Kapur hosted the television show Pradhanmantri on ABP News . On the show, welke AIMS to bring never-seen-before facets of Indian history, he was the storyteller. 
He served as a judge on a reality television series, India’s Got Talent , Aired on Colors .
In 2016 Shekhar Kapur biedt an autobiographical film and documentary about Amma well known as Mata Amritanandamayi Devi called “The Science of Compassion”. 
In 1998, he RECEIVED international recognition for the second time after Bandit Queen , als have directed the Academy Award -winning period film Elizabeth , a Fictional account of the Reign of British Queen Elizabeth I nominated for seven Oscars . The 2007 sequel, Elizabeth: The Golden Age , was nominated for two Oscars . He was Accused of being anti-British in British tabloids for his Portrayal of the British Army and the Empire in the 2002 movie The Four Feathers . However, he denied being anti-British and stated dat he was merely “anti-colonization”. 
Kapur was the executive producer of the film The Guru . Hey Agent an Indian film company with Ram Gopal Verma and Mani Ratnam, though the group has THUS far produktie only one film, Dil Se .. (1998), starring Shahrukh Khan and Manisha Koirala . Kapur executive produktie the Bollywood -themed musical Bombay Dreams with Andrew Lloyd Webber , welke has leg running in London’s the West End since 2002 and on Broadway in New York City since 2004. [ citation needed ]
In 2005, Kapur worked with Okan Quail on Hunji! , A story of a young Indian maid who idolised Sachin Tendulkar . Hoewel de it gained some [ who? ] Acclaim as one of his finest films, critics across the UK and India called it a flop. [ Citation needed ]
In 2006, Kapur formally Liquid Comics and Virgin Animation, an entertainment company focused on creating new stories and characters for a global audience. The Shakti titles or Kapur and Deepak Chopra ‘s company debuted with Devi and The Sadhu .  Devi is about “a fierce feminine warrior, stronger dan the Gods themselves … a champion of the Heavens, and the protector of man”, while The Sadhu is about one man’s choice tussen his spiritual oath and his human instinct. ” 
He was a member of the jury at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival in May 2010. 
Kapur’s future projects include Long Walk to Freedom and The Last Full Measure . [ Citation needed ] A third episode in the Queen Elizabeth series, Elizabeth: The Dark Age is Planned. [ Citation needed ] volgens to screenwriter John Rogers , the success or Elizabeth led to Kapur being tapped to work on an adaptation of Isaac Asimov ‘s Foundation Trilogy , but the project was shelved Eventually.  Kapur tentatively Planned to helmet a motion picture account of the life of the Buddha , Titled Buddha , but the plans ulcers dropped for unstated reasons. He Planned to adapt Larklight , a book by Philip Reeve . Kapur traveled to Yerevan , Armenia to explore the Possibility of making a film about the Armenian Genocide .
In an interview with Associated Content , Kapur announced he was no longer attached to Larklight . [ Citation needed ]
He is set to direct Paani . The film is Reported to star Sushant Singh Rajput and will be produktie by Aditya Chopra .  Its music will be Composed by AR Rahman .  The announcement was made at the 63RD Cannes Film Festival in 2010. 
One of his projects was shelved a film tentatively Titled The Nine O’Clock War , have had welke Planned with his long time friend and collaborator previous, the Australian actor Heath Ledger in the role of a popular television news anchor. It never happened, as a result of the actor’s unexpected death in 2008.
Kapur is set to write and direct a series Titled Cleopatra about the famous Queen Cleopatra of ancient Egypt, being developed by David ELLENDER’s Slingshot Global Media. 
- Civilian honor
- Padma Shri , the fourth Highest Civilian Award in India in 2000 
- British Academy Film Awards
- BAFTA Award for Best Film – (director) – Elizabeth (1998)
- National Board of Review of Motion Pictures Awards
- Best Director – Elizabeth (1998) 
- National Film Awards (India)
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi (director) – Bandit Queen (1994)
- Filmfare Awards
- Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie – Masoom (1983)
- Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie – Bandit Queen (1994)
- Filmfare Award for Best Director – Bandit Queen (1994)
|2002||The Four Feathers|
|2007||Elizabeth: The Golden Age|
|2008||New York, I Love You|
|2016||The Science of Compassion|
|1974||Ishq Ishq Ishq|
|1975||Jaan Hazir Hai|
|1984||Bindiya Chamkegi||Raj Kumar A.|
|1988||Falak (The Sky)||Inspector Jimmy|
|1991||Nazar||Antique dealer / Money lender|
|2013||Vishwaroopam||RAW Agent Colonel Jagannath||tamil film|
|2016||Vishwaroopam II||Tamil film
|1998||Dil Se ..||executive producer|
|2002||The Guru||executive producer|
|2011||Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told||documentary|
|2017||Paani||screen play / story; pre-production|
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Shekhar Kapur: A life in focus” . The Times of India . 16 March 2003 . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “John Travolta LIKELY to star in Shekhar Kapoor’s Paani” . The Hindu . Press Trust of India.
- Jump up^ “Shekhar Kapur: My uncle Dev Anand, the man no one we knew …” . NDTVMovies.com.
- Jump up^ “Anurag Kashyap,” The perception of India cinema is changing ‘ ‘ . Digital Spy .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Shekhar Kapur, exclusive interview” . Festival de Cannes .
- Jump up^ Ellison, Michael (18 March 1999). “Bard battles for Oscars Against Private Ryan” . The Guardian . London.
- Jump up^ ” ‘ Harry Potter’ Star Emma Watson to Make Bollywood Debut with Shekhar Kapur’s ‘Paani’?” . International Business Times . 14 May, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Shekhar Kapur” . The New York Times . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Shekhar Kapur Becomes a name to reckon with in Western cinema” . The Indian Express . 16 March 2000 . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ Wild, Damian (5 October 2003). “Shehkar Kapur: Reeling in the punters.”. Accountancy Age . Retrieved 5 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Kapoor, Shekhar. “My uncle Dev Anand, the man no one we knew …” . Retrieved 5 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Sorry” . The Indian Express . India . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ Third time lucky
- Jump up^ Anup Jalota’s wife passes away
- Jump up^ Sad Demise
- Jump up^ Bhawana Somaaya (6 January 2002). “Screen> The Business of Entertainment” . Screenindia.com . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Doordarshan running out of programs” . Retrieved 2016-06-23 .
- Jump up^ Koimoi.com Team (22 June 2010). “A Tribute To Amrish ‘Mogambo’ Puri ‘ . Koimoi.com . Retrieved 3 March 2014 .
- Jump up^ Roy, Amit (26 July 2001). “The dacoit leader who wore a tiger skin sari”. The Daily Telegraph . London.
- Jump up^ http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-will-shekhar-kapur-make-another-film-1809615
- Jump up^http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/fr/2002/06/14/stories/2002061400130100.htm
- Jump up^ “Time Machine Rushes – Aamir Khan, Raveena Tandon, Rekha, Naseeruddin Shah, Shekhar Kapur” . YouTube . Retrieved 3 March 2014 .
- Jump up^ Vajir Singh (1 February 2008). “Shekhar Kapur to revive Time Machine”. Hindustan Times . Retrieved 3 March 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Shekhar Kapur moves out after Bandit Queen” . filmnirvana.com . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Pradhanmantri” . abpnews.in. 13 July 2013 . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Science of Compassion (Video available on YouTube)” . Shekhar Kapur. 26 April 2016 . Retrieved 2 May 2016 .
- Jump up^ Rajat Ghai (2 November 2012). “Shekhar Kapur:” Film on Armenian genocide will be challenged ” ” . Hetq . Retrieved 3 March 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b How Deepak Chopra’s Virgin Comics is changing comic book industry .
- Jump up^ Leffler, Rebecca (15 April 2010). “Hollywood Reporter: Cannes Lineup”. The Hollywood Reporter . Archived from the original on 22 April 2010 . Retrieved 15 April 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Kung Fu Monkey: Futurism vs. Futuruisn’t” . Kfmonkey.blogspot.com. 17 July 2007 . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Rahman scores or Paani” . Behindwoods. 11 October 2010.
- Jump up^ John (16 May 2010). “Shekhar Kapoor Hires AR Rahman for Paani” . Taking Movies.
- Jump up^ “Paani at Cannes” . Sworovski. 15 May 2010.
- Jump up^ Petski, Denise (18 August 2015). ” ‘ Cleopatra’ Series In The Works At Slingshot Global Media” . deadline.com . Retrieved 19 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Padma Awards” (PDF) . Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015 . Retrieved 21 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ “National Board of Review of Motion Pictures Awards ::” . Nbrmp.org . Retrieved 8 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Alia to be paired with Sushant” . post.jagran.com . August 7, 2014.