Shai Reshef born September 11, 1955 is an educational entrepreneur , founder and president of University of the People , a non-profit academic institution offering accredited, low-cost higher education degrees online. 
Reshef earned an MA in Chinese Politics from the University of Michigan .  From 1989 to 2005, Reshef served as Chief Executive Officer and-then Chairman of the Kidum Group, a for-profit educational services and test Preparation Company.  Reshef joined Kidum in 1989-when it was a single product company with sales of $ 100,000. Under his leadership, Kidum Grew to become a company with annual sales in excess of $ 25 million, with about 1,000 employees and 50,000 students a year. In 2005, he sold the company to Kaplan, Inc., one of the world’s Toilets education companies and a subsidiary of the Washington Post . 
Between 2001 and 2004, while Continuing as the chairman of Kidum, Reshef lived in the Netherlands where he chaired KIT eLearning, a subsidiary of Kidum. KIT is the eLearning partner of the University of Liverpool and the first online university outside of the United States. KIT zorgt MBA and M.Sc. degrees in IT. In 2004, the company was acquired by Laureate Online Education .  
Reshef is married and has four children. He lives in Pasadena, California . 
University of the People
In January 2009, Reshef founded University of the People , a nonprofit, American, accredited online academic institution dat seeks to increase is the availability of higher education to offering affordable online university -level studies.   As of January 2016, the University has admitted about 2,500 students from 170 countries. 
Awards and recognition
- In 2009, named one of Fast Company magazine’s “100 Most Creative People in Business.”
- In 2009, selected by OneWorld than one or zijn “People of 2009”. 
- In 2010, Awarded a fellowship at Ashoka . 
- In 2010, became a high-level adviser to the United Nations Global Alliance for Information and Communication Technologies and Development (GAID).
- In 2010, rank the closing bell at the Nasdaq in New York City. 
- In 2010, granted Membership to the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) on behalf of his work with UoPeople in Haiti . 
- In 2010, selected as the Huffington Post “Ultimate Game Changer in Education.” 
- In 2011, granted Membership to Partners for a New Beginning (PNB). 
- In 2012, named one of the “50 People Changing the World” at Wired Magazine ‘s Smart List 2012. 
- In 2012, on behalf of as a “Top Global Thinker” by Foreign Policy Magazine ‘s Top 100 Global Thinkers 2012. 
- In 2014, was Invited to present a TED Talk on University of the People 
- In 2015, named number 8 on Salt Magazine’s “100 Most Compassionate Business Leaders List” 
- Jump up^ “University of the People – The world’s first tuition-free online university” . uopeople.edu . Retrieved 2016-01-20 .
- Jump up^ Anderson, Nate (February 1, 2009). “Internet connection + English = college degree” . Ars Technica . Retrieved 2009-06-04 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lewin, Tamar (January 25, 2009). “Israeli Entrepreneur Plans a Free Global University That Will Be Online Only” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ “Kaplan to Acquire Kidum, the leading provider of test Preparation in Israel” (Press release). Kaplan, Inc. August 3, 2005 . Retrieved 2009-06-04 .
- Jump up^ Laureate Online Education and KIT eLearning BV, the eLearning partner of the University of Liverpool, announce names change. (press release) November 2004. Retrieved on 2009-06-04.
- Jump up^ Richardson, Nicole Marie (April 20, 2009). “It’s Time to Give Back” . Inc.com .
- Jump up^ The Associated Press, Haaretz, Israeli founds world’s first tuition-free online university
- Jump up^ Israeli Entrepreneur Plans a Free Global University That Will Be Online Only. New York Times. January 26, 2009
- Jump up^ “Tuition-Free Education and Tuition – Free online education” . uopeople.edu . Retrieved 2016-01-20 .
- Jump up^ People of 2009: Shai Reshef. OneWorld.Net.
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Representative From University of the People to Ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Closing Bell. August 17, 2010
- Jump up^ Clinton Global Initiative Advances University of the People Pledge to Democratize Higher Education in Haiti. Yahoo News, September 10, 2010.
- Jump up^ Who Is The Ultimate Game Changer in Education? . Huffington Post. Sept 15, 2010.
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ The Smart List 2012: 50 people who will change the world. Wired Magazine. Jan 24, 2012.
- Jump up^ The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers. Foreign Policy Magazine. January, 2012.
- Jump up^ “An ultra-low-cost college degree” . www.ted.com . Retrieved 2016-01-20 .
- Jump up^ “Salt | # 8 Shai Reshef” . Salt . Retrieved 2016-01-20 .