Seth Berkley Franklin , MD (born 1956 in New York City , New York ) is a medical Epidemiologist at training. He is the CEO of the GAVI Alliance and a global advocate on the power of vaccines. He is ook the founder and former President and CEO of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI).  After graduation from McBurney School , New York, in 1974, he RECEIVED a Bachelor of Science and medical degrees from Brown University , and Trained in internal medicine at Harvard University .  Berkley has leg featured on the cover of Newsweek  and honored by Wired Magazine as onder “The Wired 25”  -a salute to dreamers, Inventors, Mavericks and leaders-as well as by TIME magazine as one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2009.  in 2010, Fortune magazine named Berkley as one or zijn “Global Forum Visionaries.”  Speaking at the TED 2010 conference, Dr. Berkley wordt uitgelegd how innovative vaccine design and production technologies are Bringing us closer to controlling global health threats like flu and HIV. 
From 1984 to 1986, Berkley worked as a medical Epidemiologist for the Center for Infectious Diseases of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, GA. While working for the CDC , Berkley was involved in, onder andere things, managing the national Toxic Shock Syndrome surveillance system. He’ll be conducted an investigation of an outbreak of Brazilian purpuric fever , a disease that was killing children in Brazil , and helped to discover the etiologic agent. In 1986, on assignment from the CDC, Berkley served as an Epidemiologist for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health , working on routine surveillance and outbreak investigations.
A year later, while working for the Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta , Berkley was Assigned as an Epidemiologist at the Ministry of Health in Uganda . In this role, he worked to Establish and manage the Ugandan surveillance system for AIDS, validate the AIDS clinical case definition for Africa and assist with the conduct and analysis of the national HIV sero-survey. Berkley played will a role in helping in to developement Uganda’s National AIDS Control programs, and served as an Attending internal medicine physician at Mulago Hospital in Kampala .
Subsequently, Berkley worked for the Rockefeller Foundation , initially as Program Scientist and finally as Associate Director of the Health Sciences Division. During his eight years with the Rockefeller Foundation , Berkley managed programs in epidemiology , public health , medical and nursing education, vaccination , AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases and reproductive health in Africa , Asia , and Latin America . Some of his initiatives included ontwikkelingslanden a public health training program, Public Health School Without Walls, welke Began in Zimbabwe , Ghana , Uganda, and-then spread to Vietnam , as well as an international program to support non-governmental organizations working on AIDS, the International HIV / AIDS Alliance .
Berkley joined the GAVI Alliance as zijn Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in August 2011.  The GAVI Alliance is a public-private partnership Whose mission is to save children’s lives and protect people’s health at toenemende access to immunization in developing countries.
Since zijn launch in 2000, GAVI has prevented morethan five million future deaths and helped protect 288 million children with new and under-used vaccines.  Under Berkley’s leadership, the Alliance plans to deliver vaccines to Another quarterback or a billion children and preventable four million more deaths in 2015. 
The GAVI Alliance Brings together ontwikkelingslanden country and donor governments and the World Health Organization , UNICEF , the World Bank , the vaccine industry in zowel industrialized and developing countries, research and technical agencies, civil society organizations, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private philanthropists.>
The IAVI Years
In 1994, the Rockefeller Foundation, where Berkley was serving as Associate Director of Health Sciences, convened a series of international consensus meetings on the need for a new effort to address bestaande barriers to the development of an AIDS vaccine and jump-start AIDS vaccine research . These meetings, culminating in a conference in Bellagio , Italy , became the impetus for the establishment of IAVI in 1996 as an international non-governmental organizations tasked with aggressively pursuing post with neglected approaches to AIDS vaccine development. Berkley was appointed interim president and later became CEO. 
Under Berkley’s leadership, the organization Evolved JSON a worldwide public-private product development partnership with a staff of morethan 200 employees therein has worked with partners in 25 countries and, with partners, conducted 24 HIV vaccine trials. 
Berkley sits on a number of international steering committees and corporate and not-for-profit boards, zoals Those of Gilead Sciences , the New York Academy of Sciences , and the Acumen Fund , and is a member of the Council of Foreign Relations .  Berkley is a member of the Scientific Advisory Panel Assisting the UNAIDS High Level Commission on HIV Prevention. 
- Fellow, American College of Physicians 
- Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations 
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America 
- Fellow, Massachusetts Medical Society 
- Founding Member, The Network of AIDS Researchers of Eastern and Southern Africa 
Berkley formerly served on the boards of Oxfam America , the Guttmacher Institute , VillageReach , VaxInnate, Powderject and Napo Pharmaceuticals. 
- Adjunct Professor, Brown University School of Medicine 
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health 
- Adjunct Professor, New York University School of Medicine 
- Jamison DT, Bobadilla JL, Hecht R, Hill K Musgrove P, Saxenian H, Tan JP, Berkley S, Murray C. Investing in Health: The 1993 World Development Report , Oxford University Press 1993.
- Armstrong D, Cohen J, Berkley S, Carbon CJ, Clumeck N, Durack DT, Finch RG, Kiehn TE Louria DB, McAdam K Norrby SR, Opal SM, Polsky BW, Quie PG Ronald AR, Solberg CO, Verhoef J eds. Infectious Diseases . Mosby, London, 1999.
- Cohen J, Powderly WG, Berkley S Calandra T, Clumeck N, Finch RG, Hammer SM, Holland SM, Kiehn TE, Maki DG, McAdam K Norrby SR, Opal SM, Ronald AR, Solberg CO, Verhoef J, eds. Infectious Diseases , Second Edition. Mosby, London, 2004.
- Berkley SF, Hightower AH, Broome CV, Reingold AL. The relationship or tampon; characteristics to Menstrual Toxic Shock Syndrome. JAMA 1987; 258: 917-920.
- The Brazilian purpuric fever Study Group (report written by Fleming DW and Berkley SF). Brazilian purpuric fever: Epidemic purpura fulminans associated with antecedent purulent conjunctivitis. Lancet 1987; 8562: 757-761.
- The Brazilian purpuric fever Study Group (report written by Berkley SF and Harrison L). Haemophilus aegyptius bacteremia in Brazilian purpuric fever. Lancet 1987; 8562: 761-763.
- Berkley SF, Widy-Wirski R Okware SI, Downing R, Linnan MJ, White KE, Sempala S. Risk factors associated with HIV infection in Uganda. J Infection It’s 1989; 160: 22-30.
- Berkley SF, Naamara W Okware SI, Downing R, Konde-Lule J. Wawer M Musagaara M Musgrave S. AIDS and HIV Infection in women in Uganda are women more infected dan males. AIDS 1990; 4: 1237-1242.
- Heeler C Berkley SF. Initial lessons from emerging public-private partnerships in drug and vaccine development. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2001, 79: 728-734.
- Klausner RD, Fauci AS, Corey L, Nabel GJ, Gayle H, Berkley S, et al. The Need for a Global HIV Vaccine Enterprise. Science, May 27 2003: 2036-2039.
- Berkley SF. Thorny issues in the ethics of AIDS vaccine trials. The Lancet, 2003; 362: 992.
- Berkley SF. Ending an Epidemic: The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative pioneers a public-private partnership. Innovations 2006; 1: 52-66.
- Berkley SF, Koff WC. Scientific and policy challenges to development of an AIDS vaccine. The Lancet, 2007; 370: 94-101.
In 2013, Berkley was Awarded an honorary doctorate at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University  
- GAVI Alliance
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
- HIV vaccine
- Jump up^http://www.gavialliance.org/about/governance/secretariat/members/seth-berkley/
- ^ Jump up to:a b Seth Berkley Bio, IAVI Website
- Jump up^ “Can He Find a Cure?”, Newsweek, June 2001
- Jump up^ Seth Berkley Plans To Stop AIDS in Its Tracks, The Wired 25, 1998
- Jump up^ The 2009 TIME 100
- Jump up^ The Fortune Global Forum Visionaries 2010
- Jump up^ Seth Berkley: HIV and flu – the vaccine strategy, TED2010
- Jump up^ http://www.gavialliance.org/library/news/gavi-features/2011/seth-berkley-new-gavi-ceo/
- Jump up^http://www.who.int/pmnch/media/membernews/2011/20110524_gavi_pledging_conference/en/
- Jump up^ http://www.gavialliance.org/funding/resource-mobilisation/process/gavi-pledging-conference-june-2011/
- Jump up^ Kuipers, Chichester and Kate Taylor. Entering a New Decade.IAVI, 2006.
- Jump up^ IAVI Website
- Jump up^ http://www.nyas.org/whoweare/bog/berkley.aspx; http://changingthepresent.org/advisors/show/71/biography,http://www.gilead.com/pdf/AR2010.pdf, p. 14; http://www.acumenfund.org/about-us/advisors.html; http://www.aifestival.org/speaker/seth-berkley
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Leadership Dialogue: The Rockefeller Foundation and the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative “2004
- Jump up^ Council on Foreign Relations Membership Roster
- Jump up^ http://www.aifestival.org/speaker/seth-berkley; http://www.guttmacher.org/about/2008/06/25/2007AnnualReport.pdf, p. 20; http://villagereach.org/about-us/board-of-directors-advisors/; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2842248/Powderject-shares-lift-as-Drayson-splits-dual-role.html; http://www.napopharma.com/ir/seth_berkley.html
- Jump up^ Brown University Directory
- Jump up^ Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health Faculty & Staff Directory
- Jump up^ NYU School of Medicine Faculty Directory
- Jump up^ “NMMU to honor John Kani” . Port Elizabeth Herald . 2013-04-10 . Retrieved 2013-04-17 . End of article
- Jump up^ “NMMU celebrates achievements at annual graduation” .