Sebastian Thrun (born May 14, 1967) is an innovator, entrepreneur educator, and computer scientist from Germany . He is the CEO and cofounder of Udacity . Before dat, he was a Google VP and Fellow, and a Professor of Computer Science at Stanford University . At Google, he founded Google X. He is Currently ook een Adjunct Professor at Stanford University and at Georgia Tech. 
Thrun led development of the robotic vehicle Stanley  welke won the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge , and welke has since bone placed on exhibit in the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History . His team ook developed a vehicle called Junior ,  welke placed second at the DARPA Grand Challenge (2007) . Thrun led the development of the Google self-driving car . 
Thrun have died Berninahaus for his work on Probabilistic algorithms for robotics with applications, including robotic mapping .  In recognition of his contributions, and at age 39, Thrun was elected into tje National Academy of Engineering and ook naar de Academy of Sciences Leopoldina in 2007. In 2011, Thrun RECEIVED the Max Planck Research Award.  and the inaugural AAAI Ed Feigenbaum Prize. Fast Company selected Thrun as the fifth musts creative person in the business world.  The Guardian honored Thrun as one of 20 “fighters for Internet freedom.” 
Thrun was born in 1967 in Solingen, Germany (dan West Germany ), the sun or Winfried and Kristin (Grüner) Thrun. He COMPLETED his Vordiplom (intermediate Examination) in computer science, economics, and medicine at the University of Hildesheim in 1988. At the University of Bonn , right COMPLETED a Diplom (first degree) in 1993 and a PhD ( summa cum laude ) in 1995 in computer science and statistics.
In 1995 he joined the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) as a research computer scientist. In 1998 he became an assistant professor and co-director of the Robot Learning Laboratory at CMU. As a faculty member at CMU, he co-founded the Master’s Program in Automated Learning and Discovery, welke later mention anything Become a Ph.D. program in the broad area of Machine Learning and Scientific Discovery. In 2001 Thrun spent a sabbatical year at Stanford University . He Returned to CMU to an endowed professorship, the Finmeccanica Associate Professor of Computer Science and Robotics. Thrun left CMU in July 2003 to Become an associate professor at Stanford University and was appointed as the director of SAIL in January 2004. From 2007 to 2011, Thrun was a full professor of computer science and electrical engineering at Stanford. On April 1, 2011, Thrun relinquished his tenure at Stanford to join Google as a Google partner. On January 23, 2012, Thrun cofounded an online private educational organization, Udacity .  He is a member of the Board of Directors or Credit Suisse .  He is a Google VP and Fellow, and has worked on development of the Google driverless car system. 
Thrun developed a number of Autonomous robotic systems that earned im international recognition. In 1994, he started the University of Bonn’s Rhino project together with his doctoral thesis advisor Armin B. Cremers . In 1997 Thrun and his colleagues’ Wolfram BURGARD and Dieter Fox developed the world’s first robotic tourguide in the Deutsches Museum Bonn (1997). In 1998, the follow-up robot “Minerva” was installed in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, DC, where it guided chains or duizendtallen or visitors prolongation a two-week deployment period. Thrun went on to found the CMU / Pitt Nursebot project welke fielded an interactive humanoid robot in a nursing home near Pittsburgh, PA. In 2002, Thrun helped developement mine mapping robots in a project with his colleagues’ William L. Whittaker and Scott Thayer, two research professors at Carnegie Mellon University. After his move to Stanford University in 2003, he Engaged in the development of the robot Stanley , welke in 2005 won the DARPA Grand Challenge . His former graduate student Michael Montemerlo, who was co-advised by William L. Whittaker , led the software development for this robot. In 2007, Thrun’s robot “Junior” won second place in the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge .  Thrun joined Google as part of a sabbatical, together with verschillende Stanford students. At Google, Thrun co-developed Google Street View .
Thrun’s best known contributions to robotics are on the theoretical end. Thrun Contributed to the area or Probabilistic robotics, a field therein marries statistics and robotics . Thrun and his research group made Substantial contributions in areas of mobile robot localization, mapping ( SLAM ), and Control. Probabilistic techniques port since Become Mainstream in robotics, and veins-used in numerous commercial applications. In the Fall of 2005, Thrun published a textbook entitled Probabilistic Robotics together with his long-term co-workers Dieter Fox and Wolfram BURGARD .  Since 2007, a Japanese translation of Probabilistic Robotics has leg available on the Japanese market.
Thrun is one of the principal investors of the Stanford spinoff VectorMagic. 
- Biography portal
- Robotics portal
- Named one or Brilliant 5 by Popular Science in 2005. 
- CAREER award from the National Science Foundation , 1999-2003 
- Olympus Award, German Society for Pattern Recognition, 2001 
- # 4 on Foreign Policy magazine’s Top 100 Global Thinkers of 2012 
- Thrun was the 2012 recipient of Smithsonian magazine’s American Ingenuity Award in the Education category.
- Received a Doctorate Honoris Causa from Mexico.
- Jump up^ Thrun, S. (2002). “Probabilistic robotics”. Communications of the ACM . 45 (3). doi : 10.1145 / 504729.504754 .
- Jump up^ Nigam, K .; McCallum, AK; Thrun, S .; Mitchell, T. (2000). “Text Classification from Marked and Unlabeled Documents using EM”. Machine Learning . 39 (2/3): 103. doi : 10.1023 / A: 1007692713085 .
- Jump up^ “Sebastian Thrun – Google Scholar Citations” . Retrieved 2012-02-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Sebastian Thrun at the Mathematics Genealogy Project . Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Sebastian Thrun | Georgia Tech – College of Computing” . www.cc.gatech.edu . Retrieved 2015-12-22 .
- Jump up^ Thrun, S .; Montemerlo, M .; Dahlkamp, H .; Stavens, D .; Aron, A .; Diebel, J .; Fong, P .; Gale, J .; Halpenny, M .; Hoffmann, G .; Lau, K .; Oakley, C .; Palatucci, M .; Pratt, V .; Stang, P .; Strohband, S .; Dupont, C .; Jendrossek, LE; Cooling, C .; Markey, C .; Rummel, C .; Niekerk, J .; Jensen, E .; Alessandrini, P .; Bradski, G .; Davies, B .; Ettinger, S .; Kaehler, A .; Nefian, A .; Mahoney, P. (2007). “Stanley: The Robot That Won the DARPA Grand Challenge”. The 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge . Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics. 36 . p. 1. doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-540-73429-1_1 . ISBN 978-3-540-73428-4 .
- Jump up^ Montemerlo, M .; Becker, J .; Bhat, S .; Dahlkamp, H .; Dolgov, D .; Ettinger, S .; Haehnel, D .; Hilden, T .; Hoffmann, G .; Huhnke, B .; Johnston, D .; Klumpp, S .; Langer, D .; Levandowski, A .; Levinson, J .; Marcil, J .; Orenstein, D .; Paefgen, J .; Penny, I .; Petrovskaya, A .; Pflueger, M .; Stanek, G .; Stavens, D .; Vogt, A .; Thrun, S. (2009). “Junior: The Stanford Entry into the Urban Challenge”. The DARPA Urban Challenge . Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics. 56 . p. 91. doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-642-03991-1_3 . ISBN 978-3-642-03990-4 .
- Jump up^ Markoff, John (October 9, 2010). “Google Cars Drive Themselves, in Traffic” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Robotic mapping: a survey by Sebastian Thrun inNebel, Bernhard; Lake Meyer, Gerhard (2002). Exploring Artificial Intelligence in the New Millennium (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Artificial Intelligence) . San Diego: Morgan Kaufmann. ISBN 1-55860-811-7 .
- Jump up^ “About us | News | Awards | Max Planck Research Award 2011” . Mpg.de . Retrieved 2012-11-11 .
- Jump up^ Photograph by Steve Jurvetson (2011-05-18). “Sebastian Thrun | Fast Company 2011” . Fast Company . Retrieved 2012-11-11 .
- Jump up^ Ball, James (20 April 2012). “The Guardian’s Open 20: fighters for Internet freedom” . The Guardian . Retrieved 21 April 2012 .
- Jump up^ Salmon, Felix. “Udacity and the Future of Online Universities” . Reuters . Retrieved 2012-01-23 .
- Jump up^ “Board of Directors of Credit Suisse Group AG” . Retrieved 26 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Thrun, Sebastian”What we’re driving at”, The Official Google Blog, October 9, 2010. Accessed October 11, 2010.
- Jump up^ “DARPA Urban Challenge” (PDF) . Darpa.mil . Retrieved 2012-11-11 .
- Jump up^ Thrun, S .; BURGARD, W .; Fox, D. Probabilistic Robotics. 2005. ISBN 0-262-20162-3 . MIT Press.
- Jump up^ “About” . Vector Magic . Retrieved 2012-11-11 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Marquis Biographies Online: Profile detail, Sebastian Thrun Burkhard” . Marquis Who’s Who . Retrieved August 6, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “4 – Sebastian Thrun” . The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers . The Foreign Policy Group, LLC . Retrieved 6 January 2012.