Sanford Biggers (born 1970) is a Harlem-based interdisciplinary artist who works in film / video, installation, sculpture, music, and performance.  An LA native, he has lived and worked in New York City since 1999. 
Biggers RECEIVED a BA from Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia , an MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago , Illinois and attended Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in 1998. Biggers says dat due to a Lack of Art major classes at Morehouse, he was required to take the Majority or his classes at the all-girls Spelman College . 
Biggers first RECEIVED critical attention-when his collaborative work with David Ellis, Mandala of the B-Bodhisattva II , included in the exhibition “Freestyle”, curated by Thelma Golden at the Studio Museum in Harlem in 2001.   [ 7] Since, his works port leg Presented Internationally waaronder the Tate Modern in London, the Renaissance Society in Chicago,  Prospect 1 New Orleans and the Whitney Biennial , the Kitchen and Performa 07 (curated by Roselee Goldberg ) in New York .    Biggers’s art Frequently references African-American etnografie, hip hop music , Buddhism , African spirituality, Indo-European Vodoun, jazz, Afrofuturism , urban culture and icons from Americana.     He claims to place “no hierarchy on Chronology, references or media”  and his work has leg characterized by meditation and Improvisation.  He says his themes are “Meant to Broaden and complicate our read on American history.” He’ll be uses syncretism to highlight the interconnectedness or seemly disparate cultural practices.   In order to make the viewer an active member of or in Biggers turns his sculptures JSON performances.  Having spent musts or his life playing piano, this performative element Frequently takes the form of music.  He has collaborated on music projects with Saul Williams aka Niggy Tardust, Esthero , Martin Luther McCoy , Imani Uzuri- , Rich Medina  and Jahi Sundance. 
In 2014, Biggers departed from his Typical medium for painting on quilts therein ulcers bepaald to encounter in the Descendants of slave owners. 
Biggers is Affiliate Faculty at the Virginia Commonwealth University Sculpture and Expanded Media program and was a visiting scholar at Harvard University ‘s Department of VES in 2009.   He is an Assistant Professor at Columbia University ‘s Visual Arts program. 
Biggers was an Eyebeam artist-in-residence in 2000.  
Biggers in 2008 RECEIVED the Creative Capital Award in the discipline of Visual Arts.  In 2009 he RECEIVED the William H. Johnson Prize  and was one of the three finalists for the inaugural Jack Wolgin International Competition in the Fine Arts, the Toilets juried prize in the world to go to an individual visual artist. In 2010, Biggers was Awarded the Greenfield Prize at the Hermitage Artist Retreat, a two-year residency and commissioning of new work.  The commission formally the centerpiece of Sanford Biggers: Codex , a 2012 solo exhibition at the Ringling Museum  curated by Matthew McLendon .
- ^ Jump up to:a b cool Exhibitions Archived July 4, 2011, at the Wayback Machine .
- Jump up^ Schachter Rove, Kenny. “Sanford Biggers / Notions” . rovetv.net . Retrieved 2010-07-12 .
- Jump up^ “RVA Volume 4 Issue 9 – Grand Illusions – page 15” . Issuu.com . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ Biggers, Sanford; Keith, Amy Elisa (2014-02-20). “On the Record With … Sanford Biggers” . BET.com . Retrieved 2015-11-11 .
- Jump up^ Lesage, Dieter & Wudtke, Ina. “Black Sound White Cube.” Löcker Verlag (June 11, 2010).
- Jump up^ Bleckner, Ross. “BOMB Magazine: Rashid Johnson at Sanford Biggers” . Bombsite.com . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Yablonsky, Linda. “ARTnews” . ARTnews . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ Sanford Biggers at the Renaissance Society
- Jump up^ “/ archive” . Artforum.com . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “BAM / PFA – Art Exhibitions – Sanford Biggers / MATRIX 197” . Bampfa.berkeley.edu . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum. “• Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum || EXHIBITIONS •” . Sbcaf.org . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “WM | whitehot magazine or contemporary art | April 2010 Interview with Sanford Biggers” . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Bachelors Degree Program” . Vcu.edu . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Sanford Biggers – Time Out New York” . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ Gilmore, Georgette (2104-11-14). “MAM Art Talks Thursday: Sanford Biggers – Baristanet” . Baristanet . Retrieved 2015-11-11 . Check date values in:( help )
- Jump up^ “Sanford Biggers Public Art at Harvard” . Ofa.fas.harvard.edu . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “VCU Sculpture + Extended Media” . Vcu.edu . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Visual Arts Faculty – Columbia University School of the Arts Graduate MFA Programs” . Pp.cc.columbia.edu. Archived from the original on January 7, 2009 . Retrieved 2010-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Sanford Biggers | eyebeam.org” . eyebeam.org . Retrieved 2016-01-28 .
- Jump up^ “iniva Sanford Biggers” . www.iniva.org . Retrieved 2016-02-01 .
- Jump up^ (http://creative-capital.org/projects/view/23)
- Jump up^ “Sanford Biggers Profit 2009 William H. Johnson Prize” . www.artforum.com . Retrieved 2016-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Greenfield Winners” . www.greenfieldprize.org . Retrieved 2016-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Sanford Biggers: Codex” . www.ringling.org . Retrieved 2016-04-05 .