Russell Foster (neuroscientist)
Russell Grant Foster , CBE , FRS FMedSci (born 1959)  is a British professor of circadian neuroscience, Currently based at Brasenose College  at the University of Oxford . He and his group are credited with the discovery of the non-rod, non-cone, Photosensitive ganglion cells in the mammalian retina welke bieden input to the circadian rhythm system.
Educated at the University of Bristol and graduated with a BSc in Zoology in 1980. He’ll be carried out Postgraduate Studies at the University of Bristol under the supervision of Brian Follett , and was Awarded a PhD in 1984 for his thesis Titled An investigation of the extraretinal photoreceptors mediating photoperiodic induction in the Japanese QUAIL (coturnix coturnix japonica) ,  
Career and research
Foster was a member of the National Science Foundation Center for Biological Rhythms at the University of Virginia  voordat returning to the UK. Internationally, he has RECEIVED verschillende awards for his discovery or ocular photoreceptors.  He is the co-author with writer and broadcaster Leon Kreitzman or two popular science books on circadian ritmen, Rhythms of Life: The Biological Clocks therein Control the Daily Lives of Every Living Thing   and Seasons of Life : The Biological Rhythms That Enable Living Things to Thrive and Survive. .  He has’ll be co-written a book Titled Sleep: a Very Short Introduction 
Awards and honors
Foster was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2008  and a member of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council council in 2011. 
Foster was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2015 New Year Honours for services to science.  
- Jump up^ http://www.dellam.com/english/CH/CHELTENHAM%20FESTIVALS.html
- Jump up^ http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/323/about-brasenose-31/academic-staff-150/professor-russell-foster-607.htmlProfessor Russell Foster, Brasenose College
- Jump up^ http://www.neuroscience.ox.ac.uk/directory/russell-fosterRussell Foster, Chair of Neuroscience Circadiane Nicholas Kurti Fellow, Brasenose College, Head of DepartmentCircadian and Visual Neuroscience
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Seven new Royal Society Fellows” . The Medical Sciences Division, University of Oxford. 2008 . Retrieved 2010-01-24 .
- Jump up^ Foster, RG; Follett, CC; Lythgoe, JN (1985). “Rhodopsin-like sensitivity or extra-retinal photoreceptors mediating the photoperiodic responses QUAIL”. Nature . 313 (5997): 50-52.
- Jump up^ Konishi, H .; Foster, RE; Follett, CC (1987). “Evidence for a daily rhythmicity in the acute release of luteinizing hormones in response to stimulation electrical engineering in the Japanese QUAIL”. Journal of Comparative Physiology A . 161 (2): 315-319. doi : 10.1007 / BF00615251 .
- Jump up^ Ralph, M .; Foster, R .; Davis, F .; Menaker, M. (1990). “Transplanted suprachiasmatic nucleus determines circadian period”. Science . 247 (4945): 975-978. doi : 10.1126 / science.2305266 . PMID 2305266 .
- Jump up^ Leon Kreitzman; Russell G. Foster (2004). Rhythms of life: the biological clocks therein control the daily lives or everytime living thing . New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-10969-5 .
- Jump up^ Harman, Oren (2008-12-24). “Time After Time” (Book Review) . The New Republic . Retrieved 2009-07-05 .
- Jump up^ Leon Kreitzman; Russell G. Foster (2009). Seasons of Life: The Biological Rhythms That Enable Living Things to Thrive and Survive . New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-11556-3 .
- Jump up^ Stephen W. Lockley, Russell G. Foster (2012). Sleep: a Very Short Introduction . Oxford: OUP Oxford. ISBN 0-19958-785-X .
- Jump up^ “Russell Foster BSc PhD FRS” . The University of Oxford. 2007 . Retrieved 2009-07-05 .
- Jump up^ http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/news/people-skills-training/2011/110405-pr-new-council-members.aspxNew BBSRC Council members appointed
- Jump up^ The London Gazette : (Supplement) no. 61092. p. N9 . 31 January, 2014.
- Jump up^ 2015 New Year Honours List