Roger Joseph Ebert ( / i b ər t / , June 18, 1942 – April 4, 2013) was an American film critic and historian , journalist, screenwriter, and author. He was a film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 Until his death in 2013. In 1975, Ebert became the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism .
Ebert and Chicago Tribune critic Gene Siskel helped popularize Nationally televised film Reviewing als ze co-hosted the PBS show Sneak Previews , Followed by verschillende variously named At the Movies programs. The two verbally sparred and exchanged humorous Barbs while discussions movies. Way Down created and Trademarked the phrase “Two Thumbs Up” gebruikt als zowel hosts showing the arrangement film a positive review. After Siskel mayest in 1999, Ebert continued hosting the show with verschillende co-hosts and-then, starting in 2000, with Richard Roeper .
Neil Steinberg of the Chicago Sun-Times zegt Ebert “was without question the nation’s most prominent and Influential film critic”,  Tom Van Riper or Forbes DESCRIBED im as “the must powerful pundit in America”,  and Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times called him “the best-known film critic in America.” 
Ebert lived with cancer of the thyroid and speekselklieren from 2002. This required Treatments necessitating the removal of his lower jaw, welke cost im the ability to speak or eat normally. His ability to write remained unimpaired, however, and have continued to publish Frequently zowel online and in print Until his death on April 4, 2013.
Roger Joseph Ebert  was born in Urbana, Illinois , the only child of Annabel (nee Stumm,   May 1, 1911 – June 1, 1987), a Bookkeeper,  and Walter Harry Ebert [ 5] (November 20, 1901 – September 22, 1960), an electrician.   He was raised Roman Catholic, Attending St. Mary’s elementary school and serving as an altar boy in Urbana. 
His paternal grandparents ulcers German immigrants  and his maternal ancestry was Irish and Dutch.    Ebert’s interest in journalism Began als have been a student at Urbana High School , where he was a sports writer for The News-Gazette in Champaign, Illinois ; however, he Began his writing career with letters or comment to the science fiction fanzines of the era.  In his senior year, he was class president and editor-in-chief or his high school newspaper , The Echo .  In 1958, he won the Illinois High School Association state speech championship in “radio speaking”, an event dat simulates radio newscasts. 
Regarding his early Influences in film criticism, Ebert wrote in the 1998 parody collection Mad About the Movies :
I learned to be a movie critic in reading Mad magazine … Mad ‘s Parodies made me aware of the machine inside the skin – or the way a movie Might look original on the outside, while inside it was just recycling the co-Old dumb formulas. I did not read the magazine, I plundered it for CLUES to the universe. Pauline Kael lost it at the movies ; I lost it at Mad magazine. 
Ebert Began taking classes at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an early-entrance student, completing his high-school courses while’ll be taking his first university class.  After graduating from Urbana High School in 1960, Ebert-then attended and RECEIVED his undergraduate degree in 1964. While at the University of Illinois, Ebert worked as a reporter for the Daily Illini and-then served as editor zijn prolongation his senior year while ook Continuing to work as a reporter for the News-Gazette or Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (he had begun at the News-Gazette at age 15 covering Urbana High School sports).  As an undergraduate, he was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and president of the US Student Press Association.  One of the first movie reviews have ever wrote was a review of La Dolce Vita , published in The Daily Illini in October 1961. 
Ebert spent a semester as a master’s student in the Department of English there voordat Attending the University of Cape Town on a Rotary fellowship for a year.  He Returned from Cape Town to his graduate studies at Illinois for two more semesters and-then, after being accepted as a PhD candidate at the University of Chicago , he Prepared to move to Chicago. He needed a job to support himself while he worked on his doctorate and so toegepast to the Chicago Daily News , accumulation therein, as he had Already sold freelance pieces to the Daily News , zoals an article on the death of writer Brendan Behan , he mention anything be hired by editor Herman Kogan . Limit download Kogan referred Ebert to the city editor at the Chicago Sun-Times, Jim Hoge , who hired Ebert as a reporter and feature writer at the Sun-Times in 1966.  He attended doctoral classes at the University of Chicago while working as a general reporter at the Sun-Times for a year. After movie critic Eleanor Keane left the Sun-Times in April 1967 Editor Robert Zonka showing the job to Ebert.  The load or graduate school and being a film critic proved too much, as Ebert left the University of Chicago to focus his energies on film criticism. 
Ebert Began his career as a film critic in 1967, writing for the Chicago Sun-Times .  He’ll be with film critic Pauline Kael for the first time at the New York Film Festival in 1967. After he cent re skirts or his columns, she Told im ze ulcers “the best film criticism being done in American Newspapers today”.  That composition year, Ebert’s first book, a history of the University of Illinois Titled Illini Century: One Hundred Years of Campus Life , was published by the University’s press. In 1969, his review of Night of the Living Dead  was published in Reader’s Digest . 
Ebert co-wrote the screen play for the 1970 Russ Meyer film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and sometimes joked about being verantwoordelijk for the film welke was poorly RECEIVED on zijn release yet has Become a cult classic .  Ebert and Meyer ook made Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens , Up! , And other films, and were involved in the ill-fated Sex Pistols movie Who Killed Bambi? (In April 2010, Ebert posted his screen play or Who Killed Bambi? Aka Anarchy in the UK on his blog.) 
Starting in 1968, Ebert worked for the University of Chicago as a guest Lecturer, teaching a night class on film at the Graham School of Continuing and Professional Studies Liberal . 
In 1975, the co-year Ebert RECEIVED the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism ,  he and Gene Siskel Began co-hosting a weekly film review television show, Sneak Previews , welke was locally, anyone produktie by the Chicago public broadcasting station WTTW . The series was later picked up for syndication nationwide on PBS . The duo became famous for hun “thumbs up / thumbs down” review summaries.  Siskel and Ebert Trademarked the phrase “Two Thumbs Up”. 
In 1982, they ‘moved from PBS to launch a similar syndicated commercial television show named At The Movies With Gene Siskel & Roger Ebert . In 1986, they ‘again moved the show to new ownership, customizing Siskel & Ebert & the Movies through Buena Vista Television , part of the Walt Disney Company .
After Siskel’s death in 1999, the producers retitled the show Roger Ebert & the Movies and-used rotating co-hosts. In September 2000, Chicago Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper became the permanent co-host and the show was renamed At The Movies With Ebert & Roeper and later At the Movies.
In 2005, Ebert became the first film critic not to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame .  As of 2007, his reviews ulcers syndicated to morethan 200 Newspapers in the United States and organs.  Ebert ook published morethan 20 books and dozens of Collected Reviews.
Ebert ended his association with the Disney-owned At The Movies in July 2008,  after the studio indicated it wished to take the program in a new direction. On February 18, 2009, Ebert Reported dat he and Roeper mention anything soon announce a new movie-review program,  and reiterated this plan after Disney announced dat the program’s last episode mention anything about air in August 2010. 
On January 31, 2009, Ebert was made an honorary life member of the Directors Guild of America .  His final television series, Ebert Presents: At the Movies , premiered on January 21, 2011, with Ebert contributing a review voiced by Bill Kurtis in a letter segment called “Roger’s Office”,  as well as featuring more traditional movie reviews in the “at The Movies” format Presented by Christy Lemire and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky .
His final review in the Chicago Sun-Times was for the film To the Wonder , welke have representation 3.5 out of 4 stars. It was published on April 6, 2013.  In July 2013, a post with unpublished review of the film Computer Chess Appeared on Ebert’s website.  The review was written leg in March but had remained unpublished Until The film’s wide release date.  Matt Zoller Seitz, the editor for Ebert’s website Confirmed dat there ulcers other unpublished reviews dat mention anything be Eventually uploaded to the website.  A second posthumously published review, for The Spectacular Now , was published in August 2013. 
Ebert DESCRIBED his critical approach to films as “relative, not absolute”; have reviewed a film for what he fact represented it mention anything be to zijn prospective audience, yet always with at least some Consideration as to zijn value as a whole. He Awarded four stars to movies of the Highest quality, and algemeen a semi-rigid to Those of the lowest, unless he Considered the film to be “artistically inept” or “morally repugnant” in welke case it RECEIVED no stars. 
When you ask a friend if Hellboy is ANY good, you’re Not asking if it’s good ANY Compared to Mystic River , you’re Asking if it’s good ANY Compared to The Punisher . And my answer mention anything be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, dan Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the co-way, if American Beauty gets four stars, dan The United States of Leland clocks in at about two. 
Ebert emphasized dat his star ratings had little meaning if not Considered in the context of the review Itself. Occasionally (as in his review of Basic Instinct 2 ), Ebert’s star rating nov port seemed at odds with his written opinion. Ebert acknowledged zoals cases, stating, “I can not recommend the movie, but … why the hell can not save I? Just because it’s godawful? What child or reason is dat for staying away from a movie? Godawful and bore therein mention anything be a reason. ”  In August 2004 Stephen King , in a column, criticized what he saw as a growing trend or Leniency towards films from critics, zoals Ebert. His main criticism was dat films Citing Spider-Man 2 as an example, ulcers constantly bepaald four star ratings dat ze did not Deserve.  In his review of The Manson Family , Ebert watch the film three stars for Achieving what it set out to do, but admitted dat did not count as a recommendation per se . He similarly showing the Adam Sandler-starring remake of The Longest Yard a positive rating or three stars, but in his review, welke he wrote soon after Attending the Cannes Film Festival , he recommended readers not to see the film Because they ‘had access to more Cinematic satisfying experiences.  He declined to give a star rating to The Human Centipede , arguing dat de rating system was “unsuited” to industry leaders a film: “Is the movie good? Is it a bath? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars do not shine. ” 
Ebert reprinted his starred reviews in movie guides. In his appearances on The Howard Stern Show , he was challenged to Frequently défend his ratings. Ebert stood by his opinions with one notable exception – als Stern pointed out dat Ebert had bepaald The Godfather Part II a three-star rating in 1974, but was subsequently bepaald The Godfather Part III three and a half stars. Ebert later added The Godfather Part II to his “Great Movies” list in October 2008 stating therein his original review has of or in bone Cited as proof of his “worthlessness” but he still had not changed his mind and mention anything not change a being or his original review.  When Reviewing the 2009 remake of The Last House on the Left , Ebert noted how he had bepaald the controversial 1972 original three and a half stars and declined to make a comparison tussen de twee versions: “I wrote dat original” Last House “review 37 years ago. I am not the person together. I am uninterested in being ‘consistent ‘ ‘. 
Ebert Occasionally Accused some films or keeping an unwholesome political agenda, zoals dat claiming the 1971 film Dirty Harry had a fascist moral position.  He was wary of films passed off as art, but welke he saw as lurid and Sensational. He leveled this charge Against zoals films as The Night Porter . 
Ebert’s reviews Could clash with the overall reception or movies, as evidenced by his one-star review of the celebrated 1986 David Lynch film Blue Velvet ( “marred by Sophomoric satire and cheap shots … in a way, [director Lynch’s] behavior is more sadistic dan the Hopper character “).  He was dismissive of the popular 1988 Bruce Willis action film Die Hard ( “inappropriate and wrongheaded interruptions Reveal the fragile nature of the plot”),  while his positive 3 out of 4 stars review of 1997’s Speed 2: Cruise Control ( “Movies like this embrace goofiness with an almost sensual pleasure”)  is one of only two positive reviews accounting for that film’s 3% approval rating on the reviewer aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes (the other retaining leg written by his at The Movies co-star Gene Siskel).  Ebert panned the 1995 crime drama The Usual Suspects , giving Recruiters the well-regarded film a rating of one and a half stars and a place on his “Most hated Movies” list.
Ebert’s reviews ulcers ook characterized by what has bone called “dry white”.   In August 2005, after Rob Schneider insulted Los Angeles Times film critic Patrick Goldstein (who had criticized Schneider’s film Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo ) by commenting dat Goldstein was unqualified have Because had never won the Pulitzer Prize , Ebert intervened by stating therein, as a Pulitzer winner, he was qualified to review the film, and bluntly Told Schneider, “Your movie sucks.”  Ebert and Schneider mention anything later reconcile Regarding this matter.   
Ebert commented on films using his Catholic upbringing as a point of reference,  and was critical of films have believed ulcers grossly ignorant of or insulting to Catholicism, zoals Stigmata  and Priest .  He’ll be showing favorable reviews or controversial films with themes or references to Jesus and Catholicism, zoals The Passion of the Christ , The Last Temptation of Christ , and to Kevin Smith ‘s religious satire Dogma .  Ebert was DESCRIBED as an Agnostic in 2005,  but preferable as not being “pigeon-holed”. 
He of or in included personal anecdotes in his review als have Considered Them relevant. He Occasionally wrote reviews in the forms of stories, poems, songs,  scripts, open letters,   or imagined conversations.  He wrote many essays and articles Exploring in depth the field of film criticism (see Bibliography in this article).
Ebert was ook een lawyer and supporter of Asian-American cinema, famously coming to the defense of the cast and crew of Justin Lin ‘s Better Luck Tomorrow (2001) prolongation a Sundance Film Festival screening als a white member of the audience Asked how Asians Could be portrayed in a negative light industry leaders and how a film so empty and amoral Could be made for Asian-Americans and Americans. Ebert Responded that ‘nobody mention anything say industry leaders a thing to a bunch of white filmmakers: how could you do this to “your people”? … Asian-American characters have the right to be called Whoever the hell they’ want to be. Way Down Sun not have to represents “hun people ‘!”    He was a supporter of the film after the incident at Sundance, and ook supported a number of Asian-American films, keeping Them ook screen at his film festival (such as Eric Byler ‘s Charlotte Sometimes ). 
Ebert was Accused by some horror movie fans or elitism in his dismissal of what he calls “Dead Teenager Movies”. Ebert clarified dat he did not disparage horror movies as a whole, but dat he drew a Distinction tussen films like Nosferatu and The Silence of the Lambs , welke he regarded as “Masterpieces”, and films have welke fact represented consisted of nothing morethan groups or teenagers being killed off with the exception of one survivor to populate a sequel. 
Ebert indicated therein his favorite film was Citizen Kane , joking, “That’s the official answer”, hoewel de favoriete have to emphasize it as “the must important” film. He insinuated dat his real favorite film was La Dolce Vita . His favorite actor was Robert Mitchum , and his favorite actress was Ingrid Bergman .  He’ll be Considered Buster Keaton , Robert Altman , Werner Herzog , and Martin Scorsese to be his favorite directors.  He Expressed his general distaste for “Summit at” lists, and all movie lists in general,  but Contributed a summit in list to the 2012 Sight and Sound Critics’ Poll. Listed alphabetically, Those films ulcers 2001: A Space Odyssey ; Aguirre, the Wrath of God ; Apocalypse Now ; Citizen Kane ; La Dolce Vita ; The General ; Raging Bull ; Tokyo Story ; The Tree of Life ; and Vertigo .  His favorite Bond film was Goldfinger (1964), and he later added it to his “Great Movies” list. 
Best Movies of the Year
Ebert Compiled “best of the year” movie lists beginning in 1967. Until 2012, thereby helping in bieden an overview of his critical preferences. His top choices ulcers:
Ebert revisited and sometimes revised his opinions. After ranking ET the Extra-Terrestrial third on his 1982 list, it was the only movie from dat year ACM Press on his later “Best Films of the 1980s” list (where it’ll be ranked third).  He made similar reevaluations and 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark , and 1985’s Ran .  The Three Colors Trilogy ( Blue , White , and Red ) and Pulp Fiction oorspronkelijk ranked second and third on Ebert’s 1994 list; zowel ulcers included on his “Best Films of the 1990s” list, but hun order was reversed. 
In 2006, Ebert noted his own “tendens to place what I now consider the year’s best movie in second place, perhaps Because I was Trying to make somekind of point with my top pick,”  Adding, “In 1968, I arnt port ranked 2001 Above The Battle of Algiers . in 1971, McCabe and Mrs. Miller was better than The Last Picture Show . in 1974, Chinatown was then probably better, in a différent way, dan Scenes from a Marriage . in 1976, how could I rank Smallchange Above Taxi Driver ? in 1978, I mention anything well Days of Heaven Above An Unmarried Woman . And in 1980, or course, Raging Bull was a better movie dan The Black Stallion … although I later Chose Raging Bull as the best film of the entire decade of the 1980s, it was only the second-best film or 1980 … I am the co person I was in 1968, 1971 or 1980? i hope not. ”
Since his death, Ebert’s website has continued the practice, with the site’s primary contributors lycra offering individual Top Ten lists, with hun rankings Combined JSON a communal top in list. 
Ebert was an admirer of director Werner Herzog , Whom have supported through many years-when Herzog’s popularity had declined. He conducted an onstage public “conversation” with Herzog at the Telluride Film Festival in 2004, after a screening of Herzog’s film Invincible at Roger Ebert’s Overlooked Film Festival . Herzog dedicated his 2008 film Encounters at the End of the World to Ebert, and Ebert Responded with a Heartfelt public letter of gratitude.  Herzog zegt he once exhorted Ebert to watch The Anna Nicole Show (welke Ebert did) so he Could gain a better understanding of the decline in American culture. 
In 2005, Ebert opined dat video games are not art, and are inferior to media created through authorial control, zoals film and literature, stating, “video games kan be elegant, subtle, sophisticated, challenging and Visually wonderful”, but “the nature of the medium Prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship to the stature of art. ”  This resulted in negative reaction from video game enthusiasts,  zoals writer Clive Barker , who defended video games as an art form , stating dat ze harbor the power to move people, therein the views or book or film critics are less important dan Those of the consumers are experiencing Them, and therein Ebert’s ulcers prejudiced. Ebert Responded therein the charge or prejudice was merely a euphemism for disagreement, therein merely being moved by an experience does not denote it as artistic, and therein critics are ook consumers.  Ebert later defended his position in April 2010, saying, “No video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.”  He’ll be stated therein have had never found a video game “worthy of (his) time”, and THUS had never played will one. 
In a July 1, 2010, blog entry, Ebert Maintained his position therein videogames kan never be art in principle, but conceded dat he arnt not have Expressed this skepticism without being more familiar with the actual experience of playing them. He reflected on the reaction to his blog entry, gamers attempts to recommend to im games zoals Shadow of the Colossus , and his reluctance to play games due to his Lack of interest in the medium. “I have played will Cosmology or Kyoto welke I enormously Enjoyed, and Myst for welke I lacked the patience.” zegt Ebert. 
Ebert was an outspoken opponent of the Motion Picture Association of America film rating system , repeatedly criticizing zijn Decisions Regarding welke movies are Suitable for children. 
Ebert ook Frequently lamented therein cinemas outside major cities are “booked by computer from Hollywood with no betrekking for local Tastes”, making high-quality independent and foreign films Virtually unavailable to most American moviegoers. 
Ebert was a strong advocate for MaxiVision 48 in welke the movie projector runs at 48 frames per second, as Compared to the usual 24 frames per second. He was Opposed to the practice whereby Theatres lower the intensity hun projector bulbs in order to extendwatchlist the life of the bulb, arguing dat this has little effect other dan to make the film harder to see.  Ebert was skeptical of the recent resurgence of 3D effects in film , welke have found Unrealistic and distracting. 
Film and TV appearances
In 1995, Ebert, Along with Colleague Gene Siskel, guest-starred on an episode of the animated television series The Critic . In the episode, Siskel and Ebert split and lycra wants Jay as his new partner. The episode is a parody of the movie Sleepless in Seattle .  The volgende year, Ebert Appeared in Pitch , a documentary by Canadian film makers Spencer Rice and Kenny Hotz . 
He’ll be made an appearance as himself in a 1997 episode of the television series Early Edition , welke took place in Chicago. In the episode, Ebert consoles a young boy who is depressed after he sees a character called Bosco the Bunny in a movie. 
In 1999, Roger Ebert founded his own film festival, Ebertfest in his hometown of Champaign, Illinois.  He was ook a regular FIXTURE at the Hawaii International Film Festival .
In 2003, Ebert had a cameo appearance in the film Abby Singer .  On May 4, 2010, Ebert was announced by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences as the Webby Person of the Year, maintaining taken to the Internet-following his battle with cancer.  On October 22, 2010, Ebert Appeared on camera with Robert Osborne on the Turner Classic Movies network prolongation the network’s “The Essentials” series. Ebert Chose the film Sweet Smell of Success and The Lady Eve to be shown. 
For many years, on the day of the Academy Award ceremony, Ebert repeatedly Appeared with Roeper on the live pre-awards show, An Evening at the Academy Awards: The Arrivals . This Aired for over a decade, Usually prior to the awards ceremony show, welke’ll be featured red carpet interviews and fashion commentary. Ze ook-used ACM Press on the post-awards show entitled An Evening at the Academy Awards: The Winners , produktie and Aired by the ABC -owned KABC-TV in Los Angeles. 
Ebert was one of the principal critics featured in Gerald Peary ‘s 2009 documentary film For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism . He is shown discus the dynamics of Appearing with Gene Siskel on the 1970s show Coming to a Theater Near You , welke was the predecessor of Sneak Previews on Chicago PBS station WTTW. He’ll be Expressed his approval of the proliferation of young people writing movie reviews today on the Internet. 
Ebert Provided DVD Audio Commentaries for verschillende films zoals Citizen Kane , Casablanca , Dark City , Floating Weeds , Crumb , and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (for welke Ebert ook wrote the screen play, based on a story dat he co-wrote with Russ Meyer ). Ebert was ook interviewed by Central Park Media for an extra feature on the DVD release of the anime film Grave of the Fireflies . Ebert Appeared as a guest star multiple times on Sesame Street . A bio-documentary about Ebert, called Life Itself , was released in 2014 to universal Acclaim.  
Though not making a personal appearance, an honorary effigy or Ebert co-starred in the 1998 reimagined version of Godzilla , played will to actor Michael Lerner as New York City Mayor Ebert. 
Ebert was a alcoholic and recovery, maintenance quit drinking in 1979. He was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous and had written some blog entries on the subject.  He was a long time friend of, and briefly dated, Oprah Winfrey , who credited im with persuading re to syndicate The Oprah Winfrey Show ,  which became the Highest-rated talk show in American television history.  He was ook friends with film historian and critic Leonard Maltin and Considered the book Leonard Maltin’s Movie and Video Guide (final update in 2014  ) to be the standard or movie guide books.
A supporter of the Democratic Party ,  Ebert Publicly urged liberal filmmaker Michael Moore to give a politically Charged acceptance speech at the Academy Awards: “I’d like to see Michael Moore get up there and let ’em have it with zowel barrels and really look loose and give Them a real Rabble-rousing speech. ”  During a 1996 panel at the University of Colorado at Boulder ‘s Conference on World Affairs , Ebert coined the Boulder Pledge at welke have vowed never to purchase anything offered through the result of an unsolicited email message, or to forward chain emails or mass e-mails to others.    Ebert endorsed Barack Obama for re-election by as President in 2012. 
Ebert was critical of intelligent design ,  and stated dat people who believe in creationism Either or New Age beliefs zoals crystal healing or Astrology are not qualified to be President.  Ebert ook Expressed Disbelief in pseudoscientific or Supernatural claims in general, calling them ” woo-woo “. 
Discus his beliefs, in 2009 Ebert wrote dat he did not “because to bieden a category for people to apply to [im]” Because He “mention anything about not because [his] convictions Reduced to be a” and stated, “I have never zegt, hoewel de readers goods freely informed me I am an Atheist, an Agnostic, or at the very least, a Secular humanist – welke I am. ”  In the co-blog entry, he’ll be said “I am not a Believer, not an Atheist, not an Agnostic. I am still awake at night, Asking how ? [A] I am more content with the question than I mention anything be with an answer. ”   In March 2013, he wrote: “I support freedom of choice. My choice is to not support abortion, EXCEPT in cases of a clear-cut choice tussen de lives of the mother and child. A child conceived through incest or rape is innocent and deserves the right to be born. ” He’ll be stated: “I consider myself Catholic, lock, stock and barrel, with this technical loophole: i can not believe in God. I refuse to call myself an Atheist however, Because dat name ® too great a certainty about the unknowable.” 
On April 25, 2011, have Achieved one or his long-time goals: winning one of the weekly caption contests in The New Yorker after more than 100 attempts. 
In early 2002, Ebert was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer welke was successfully removed in February. In 2003, he underwent surgery for cancer in his Speekselklier In this housing was Followed up by radiation treatment . He was again afflicted with cancer in 2006. In June of that year, he had surgery to remove cancerous tissue near his right jaw.  A week later, he had a life-threatening Complication als his carotid artery burst near the surgery site.  He was Confined to bed rest and was Unable to speak, eat, or drink for a period of time, necessitating the use of a feeding tube . 
The complications Kept Ebert off the air for an extended period of time. Ebert made his first public appearance since mid-2006 at Ebertfest on April 25, 2007. He was Unable to speak, Limit download Communicating through his wife.  He Returned to Reviewing on May 18, 2007-when three of his reviews ulcers published in print.  In July 2007, he revealed therein have been still Unable to speak.  Ebert eerste a computerized voice system to communicate, using Eventually a copy of his own voice created from his recordings at CereProc .  In March 2010, his health trials and new computerized voice ulcers featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show .   Ebert later Proposed a test to determine the realism or a synthesized voice. 
Ebert underwent surgery remit in January 2008 to hopefully restore his voice and addresses the complications from his previous surgeries.   On April 1 Ebert announced his speech had not restored leg.  A remit surgery was Performed in April 2008 after Ebert fractured his hip in a fall.  In 2011, Ebert was using a prosthetic chin to hide some of the damage done by his many chin, mouth, and throat surgeries. 
In December 2012, Ebert was hospitalized due to the fractured hip.  On April 2, 2013, he announced dat he mention anything be taking a “leave of presence” from his Duties Because The hip fracture was Determined to be cancerous and mention anything requirement radiation treatment.   He remarked, “I’ll be loveable at last to do what I’ve always fantasized about doing: Reviewing only the movies I want to review.” 
Three years voordat his death, Ebert wrote:
I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, Because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as skies on the approach path. I was Perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the co-states. What I am Grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder and laughter. You can ‘t say it was not interesting. My lifetime’s memories are what I Have brought` home from the trip. I will requirement Them for Eternity no morethan that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought` home from Paris. 
Two daysBefore his death, Ebert ended his final blog post by saying, “So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I’ll see you at the movies.”  On April 4, 2013, Ebert mayest at the age of 70 in Chicago when he was Preparing to come home from the hospital.   
On April 7, 2013, a private vigil with an open casket was held at the chapel of Graceland Cemetery on the city’s north side.  Hundreds attended the April 8, 2013 funeral Mass held at Chicago’s Holy Name Cathedral , where Ebert was celebrated as a film critic, newspaperman, lawyer for social justice, and husband.  Father Michael Pfleger concluded the service with “the balconies or heaven are filled with angels singing Thumbs Up .” 
His death prompted wide reaction from celebrities beide in and out of the entertainment industry. US President Barack Obama wrote, “Roger was the movies … [have Could capture] the unique power of the movies to take us somewhere magical … The movies will not be the composition without Roger”.   Robert Redford called Ebert “one of the great champions of freedom of artistic expression” and said “His personal passion for cinema was bound less, and therein is sure to be his legacy for generations to come.”  Oprah Winfrey called Ebert’s death the “end of an era ‘, as did Steven Spielberg , who ook zegt dat Ebert’s” review went far Deeper dan simply thumbs up or thumbs down. He wrote with passion through a real knowledge of film and film history, and in doing so, helped many movies find hun audiences … [have] put television criticism on the map “. 
Memorials and legacy
A 2-hour-and-45-minute public tribute, entitled Roger Ebert: A Celebration of Life was held at 7 pm on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at the Chicago Theater . It featured in-person remembrances, video testimonials, video and film clips, gospel choirs, and was volgens to the Chicago Tribune ‘s Mark Caro, “a laughter- and sorrow-filled send-off from the entertainment and media worlds.” 
In September 2013, organizers in Champaign, Illinois , announced plans to raise $ 125,000 to build a life-size bronze statue of Ebert in the town, welke was Unveiled in front of the Virginia Theatre at Ebertfest on April 24, 2014.  The composition, was selected by his widow, Chaz Ebert, and depicts Ebert sitting in the middle of three theater seats giving Recruiters a “thumbs up”.  
The 2013 Toronto International Film Festival opened with a video tribute or Ebert at Roy Thomson Hall prolongation the world premiere of the WikiLeaks-based film The Fifth Estate . Ebert had leg an ardent supporter of the festival since zijn inception in the 1970s.  Chaz was in attendance to accept a plaque on behalf Roger.  At the 86th Academy Awards ceremony, Ebert was included in the In Memoriam montage, a rare honor for a film critic.  
In 2014, the documentary Life Itself was released. Director Steve James , Whose films had bone widely advocated by Ebert, started making it while the critic was still alive. The film studies Ebert’s life and career, while’ll be filming Ebert prolongation his final months, and of includes interviews with his family and friends. It was widely praised. 
Roger Ebert was inducted as a Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois and Awarded the Order of Lincoln (the State’s Highest Honor) by the Governor of Illinois in 2001 in the area of Performing Arts. 
RogerEbert.com has continued operations since Ebert’s death, publishing new movie reviews from many différent contributors. Since 2014, the primary contributors to work with editors to compile, in a sports-style poll (10 for first, 9 for second, to 1 for 10th), the annual Ten Best Films. 
RogerEbert.Com Best Films of the Year
- 2014: Under the Skin 
- 2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
- 2016: Moonlight
Lycra year from 1999 to 2013, EXCEPT in 2008, Ebert published Roger Ebert’s Movie Yearbook , a collection of all of his movie reviews from the previous two and a half years (for example, the 2011 edition, ISBN 978-0-7407-9769 -9 , covers January 2008 – July 2010), as well as essays and other Writings. He’ll be overridden de volgende books:
- An Illini Century: One Hundred Years of Campus Life (1967) – A history of the first 100 years of the University of Illinois . (no ISBN)
- A Kiss Is Still a Kiss (1984) ( ISBN 0-8362-7957-3 )
- The Perfect London Walk (1986) – A tour of London, Ebert’s favorite foreign city. ( ISBN 0-8362-7929-8 )
- Two Weeks In Midday Sun: A Cannes Notebook (1987) Coverage of the 1987 Cannes Film Festival welke was ook the 40th anniversary of the festival plus comments about the previous twelve festivals Ebert had attended. Interviews with John Malkovich , Barbara Hershey , and Isabella Rossellini . ( ISBN 0-8362-7942-5 )
- Behind the Phantom’s Mask (1993) This is Ebert’s only work of fiction welke is about an on-stage murder and the resulting attention well on a post with unknown actor. ( ISBN 0-8362-8021-0 )
- Ebert’s Little Movie Glossary (1994) – a book or movie cliches. ( ISBN 0-8362-8071-7 )
- Roger Ebert’s Book of Film (1996) – a Norton Anthology of a century or writing about the movies. ( ISBN 0-393-04000-3 )
- Questions for the Movie Answer Man (1997) – his responses to questions cents from his readers. ( ISBN 0-8362-2894-4 )
- Ebert’s Bigger Little Movie Glossary (1999) – a “greatly expanded” book or movie cliches. ( ISBN 0-8362-8289-2 )
- I hated, hated, hated This Movie (2000) – a collection of reviews of films therein RECEIVED two stars or less, dating to the beginning of his Sun-Times career. (The title comes from his zero-star review of the 1994 film North .) ( ISBN 0-7407-0672-1 )
- The Great Movies (2002), The Great Movies II (2005), and The Great Movies III (2010) – Three books or essays about great movies. ( ISBN 0-7679-1038-9 , ISBN 0-7679-1950-5 , and ISBN 978-0-226-18208-7 )
- Awake in the Dark: The Best of Roger Ebert (2006) – a collection of essays from his 40 years as a film critic, featuring interviews, profiles, essays, his initial reviews upon a film’s release, as well as critical exchanges tussen de film critics Richard Corliss and Andrew Sarris .
- Your Movie Sucks (2007) – A collection of less-than-two-star reviews, for movies released tussen 2000 and 2006. (The title comes from his zero-star review of the 2005 film Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo .) ( ISBN 0-7407-6366-0 )
- Roger Ebert’s Four-Star Reviews 1967-2007 (2007) ( ISBN 0-7407-7179-5 )
- Scorsese at Ebert (2008) – Covers works by director Martin Scorsese from 1967 to 2008, plus eleven interviews with the director over dat period. ( ISBN 978-0-226-18202-5 )
- The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice cooker (2010) ( ISBN 0-7407-9142-7 ) 
- Life Itself: A Memoir . (2011) New York: Grand Central Publishing . ( ISBN 0-446-58497-5 )
- A Horrible Experience or Unbearable Length (2012) – A third book of less-than-two-star reviews, for movies released in 2006 and onward. (The title comes from his one-star review of the 2009 film Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen .) ( ISBN 1-4494-1025-1 )
- Ebert test
- Jump up^ The questionhowin synthesis last sentences of the blog entry refers back to zijn first paragraph in welke Ebert writes dat as a second-grader he mention anything lie awake at night Asking himself the questions “But How could God harbor no beginning? And how could he harbor no end?“. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Steinberg, Neil (April 4, 2013). “Roger Ebert dies at 70 after battle with cancer” . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on December 16, 2014.
- Jump up^ Riper, Tom Van (September 24, 2007). “The Top Pundits in America” . Forbes . Retrieved December 9, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Turan, Kenneth (April 4, 2013). “Remembrance: Roger Ebert, film’s hero to the end” . Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert – Archive Interview Part 1 of 3” onYouTube. May 20, 2008. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Biography of Roger Ebert” . Film Reference . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert, Roger (R. Hyde, Reinhold Timm)” . encyclopedia.com . April 4, 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing.
- Jump up^ Roger Ebert (January 19, 2011). “The Company Men” . rogerebert.com.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g Felsenthal, Carol (December 2005). A Life In The Movies[ dead link ] . Chicago Magazine . Kael quote, p. 1; agnosticism, p. 2; Catholic upbringing and wife’s name, p. 3. Retrieved April 6, 2013. Archived August 23, 2011 at the Wayback Machine .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (April 12, 2002). “Maryam Movie Review & Film Summary”. RogerEbert.com . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Oh, say, can you wear?” . RogerEbert.com . May 13, 2010.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (February 22, 2013). “What was my Aunt Martha Trying to ask me?” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b “RogerEbert.com” . RogerEbert.com. October 13, 2004 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert in the Ihsa list or state speech champions, 1957-58” . Ihsa.org . Retrieved April 5, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Mad About the Movies . Mad Books. ISBN 1-56389-459-9 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. p. 91.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. p. 30.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. pp. 92, 96.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (October 4, 1961). “La Dolce Vita Movie Review & Film Summary” . RogerEbert.com .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. p. 96.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. p. 139.
- Jump up^ “Ebert named film critic”. Chicago Sun-Times . April 5, 1967. p. 57.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. Life Itself: A Memoir . New York: Grand Central Publishing. p. 142.
- Jump up^ “Night of the Living Dead” . RogerEbert.com . January 5, 1967.
- Jump up^ Beres, Damon (April 4, 2013). “Looking Back: Ebert’s First Review Reader’s Digest” . Reader’s Digest . Retrieved January 26, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (1980). “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls” . Rogerebert.suntimes.com . Retrieved September 3, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (April 25, 2010). “” Who Killed Bambi? ” – A screen play ” “. Chicago Sun-Times . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert, X’70, film critic and long-time Graham School Lecturer, 1942-2013” . UChicagoNews . University of Chicago . April 5, 2013 . Retrieved January 26, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Rousseau, Caryn (April 4, 2013). “Roger Ebert, first film critic to win a Pulitzer, dies at 70” . The Salt Lake Tribune .
- Jump up^ Gliatto, Tom (November 1, 1999). “On Despite the Loss of Film Critic Gene Siskel Buddy Roger Ebert Gives Life a Thumbs-Up” . People (magazine) .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Bloom, July (July 22, 2008). “Ebert and Roeper No Longer at the Movies” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 30, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Corliss, Richard (June 23, 2007). “Thumbs Up for Roger Ebert” . Time . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert.” By the time we get to Phoenix, he’ll be laughing “February 18, 2009” . Chicago Sun-Times . October 13, 2004 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “TV Guide”. TV Guide . April 12, 2010. p. 64.
- Jump up^ “Directors Guild to honor Roger Ebert” . Reuters. January 28, 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-12-28.
- Jump up^ Rousseau, Caryn (January 19, 2010). “Roger Ebert returns with new PBS review show” . Associated Press . Deseret News . Retrieved January 20, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (April 6, 2013). “To the Wonder Movie Review & Film Summary (2013)” . rogerebert.com.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (July 18, 2013). “Computer Chess Movie Review & Film Summary (2013)” . rogerebert.com.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Shetty, Sharan (July 18, 2013). “A New Review From Roger Ebert” . Slate .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (August 2, 2013). “The Spectacular Now Movie Review & Film Summary (2013)” . rogerebert.com.
- Jump up^ ” Death Wish II review by Roger Ebert” . Chicago Sun-Times . January 1, 1982 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ ” Shaolin Soccer Movie Review & Film Summary” . April 23, 2004.
- Jump up^ ” Basic Instinct 2 Movie Review & Film Summary” . March 21, 2006.
- Jump up^ King, Stephen (August 20, 2004). “The Four-Star Follies” . Entertainment Weekly . Retrieved January 31, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s review of The Longest Yard (2005 version) at rogerebert.com, May 27, 2005” . Chicago Sun-Times . May 26, 2005 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s review of The Human Centipede at rogerebert.com, May 5, 2010” . Chicago Sun-Times . May 5, 2010 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (October 2, 2008). “The Godfather, Part II review” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved February 28, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s review of The Last House on the Left (2009)” . Chicago Sun-Times . March 11, 2009 . Retrieved January 21, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (1971). “Dirty Harry Movie Review and Film Summary” . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s review of The Night Porter ” . Chicago Sun-Times . February 10, 1975 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (September 19, 1986). “Review of Blue Velvet ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 4, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (July 15, 1988). “Review of Die Hard ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 4, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (June 27, 1997). “Review of Speed 2: Cruise Control ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 4, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Speed 2 – Cruise Control (1997)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved September 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Yamato, Jen,” Meet a Critic Roger Ebert !: RT chats with America’s favorite critic. “January 19, 2007” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s review of Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo ” . Chicago Sun-Times . August 11, 2005 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert, Roger.” A bouquet arrives ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . May 7, 2007 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Champ (May 10, 2007). “Unlikely Fan Sends Roger Ebert Flowers”. People .
- Jump up^ “Stigmata (1999) Movie Review & Film Summary” . RogerEbert.com . 1999.
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert. Review of Priest . Chicago Sun-Times . April 7, 1995” . Chicago Sun-Times . April 7, 1995 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Dogma Movie Review & Film Summary” . RogerEbert.com . November 12, 1999.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Roger Ebert (April 17, 2009). “How I believe in God” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved November 5, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert’s review of” Law Hot American Summer ” . Chicago Sun-Times . August 31, 2001 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert’s Great Movies review of” ET The Extra-Terrestrial ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . September 14, 1997 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert’s Review of” A Cinderella Story ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . July 16, 2004 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert’s review of” The Howling ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . January 1, 1981 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert’s review of” The Hudsucker Proxy ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . March 25, 1994 . Retrieved July 24, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “When Audiences Attack at Sundance” . Film Threat . January 19, 2012. Archived from the original on 2015-03-11.
- Jump up^ Davis, Erik. “About That Time Roger Ebert Fought a Heckler on Justin Lin’s” Better Luck Tomorrow ” . Movies.com . Retrieved 2017-01-27 .
- Jump up^ Harris, Dana. “This Video Shows Exactly What We Lost With the Death of Roger Ebert” . Indiewire .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. ” ‘ Sometimes’ a Great Notion” . Charlotte Sometimes the Movie . Retrieved 2017-01-27 .
- Jump up^ Gurnow, Michael (2007). “Roger Ebert’s Bloody Ax: An Examination of the Film Critics Elitist Dismissal of the Horror Film” . The Horror Review. Archived from the original on September 7, 2008 . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dumont, Aaron (September 4, 2008). “Roger Ebert.” What’s your favorite movie? ” Chicago Sun-Times ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved October 17, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Biography page for Ebert at” . Tv.com . Retrieved October 17, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Meet a Critic Roger Ebert” . Rotten Tomatoes .
- Jump up^ Roger Ebert (September 2012). “The Greatest Films Poll” . BFI . Retrieved September 12, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Great Movie: Goldfinger” . Roger Ebert.com .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Roger Ebert’s Top Ten Lists, 1967-2006” . Eric C. Johnson’s archive . California Institute of Technology . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Siskel and Ebert Top Ten Lists (1969-1998)” . innermind.com . Retrieved November 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (2006). Awake in the Dark . University of Chicago Press. p. 103.
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s 10 Best Showing: 1967-present” . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on September 8, 2006.
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert.” A letter to Werner Herzog: In praise of rapturous truth “rogerebert.com November 17, 2007” . Chicago Sun-Times . November 17, 2007 . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Holdengräber Paul. “Was the 20th Century a Mistake? Werner Herzog in conversation with Paul Holdengräber” (PDF) . New York Public Library, 2007 . Retrieved April 7, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (November 27, 2005). “Why did the chicken cross the genders?” . rogerebert.com .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (January 6, 2005). “Gamers fire flaming posts, emails …” . rogerebert.com/ Chicago Sun-Times .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (July 21, 2007). “Games vs. Art: Ebert vs. Barker” . rogerebert.com.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (April 16, 2010). “Video games kan never be art” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Brockway, Robert (April 22, 2010). “Why Ebert is Wrong: A Defense of Games As Art” . Cracked.com .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (July 1, 2010). “Okay, kids, Play on my Lawn” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (January 11, 2010). “Getting Real About Movie Ratings” . The Wall Street Journal . Retrieved April 5, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (June 4, 2004). “They got it right” . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on 2004-06-04.
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s” Movie Answer Man column “, February 19, 2006” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (August 16, 2008). “D-minus for 3-D” . Chicago Sun-Times Blogs . Retrieved October 17, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ ” The Critic -” Siskel & Ebert & Jay & Alice ” ” . TV.com .
- Jump up^ “Pitch (1997) Full cast and crew” . Internet Movie Database . Retrieved 2017-01-27 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (June 1, 1997). Questions for the Movie Answer Man . Andrews McMeel Publishing. p. 99. ISBN 0-8362-2894-4 . In the Spring of 1997, I did a guest appearance on the show, consoling a little boy who was depressed therein Bosco the Bunny had mayest.
- Jump up^ “About EbertFest” . Roger Ebert’s Film Festival . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Abby Singer” . Home Theater & Sound . November 2007 . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “The Webby Awards” . The Webby Awards. June 14, 2010. Archived from the original on April 4, 2013 . Retrieved April 5, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Fristoe, Roger. “Critic’s Choice Introduction” . TCM Film Article . Retrieved April 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “An Evening at the Academy Awards (1995)” . Siskel & Ebert.org . Retrieved April 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism ” . TCM Movie Database . Retrieved January 16, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Life Itself” . Rotten Tomatoes . Flixster . Retrieved September 11, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Life Itself Reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved July 19, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (May 26, 1998). “Godzilla (1998) Movie Review & Film Summary” . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Chaz Ebert Bio” . DailyEntertainmentNews. January 12, 2013 . Retrieved March 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Neil Steinberg (April 4, 2013). “Roger Ebert (1942-2013)” . Chicago Sun-Times via RogerEbert.com.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (July 17, 2012). “Roger loves Chaz” . Chicago Sun-Times . [ Dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jones, Chris (February 16, 2010). “Roger Ebert: The Essential Man”. Esquire .
- Jump up^ Roger Ebert (August 25, 2009). “My Name is Roger, and I’m an alcoholic”. Retrieved August 25, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger; (November 16, 2005). “How I watch Oprah re-start” . Chicago Sun-Times .
- Jump up^ Rose, Lacey (January 29, 2009). “America’s Top-Earning Black Stars” . Forbes .
- Jump up^ Katie Rife (August 20, 2014). “The Internet has officially killed Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide” . Retrieved April 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert’s political donations” . Newsmeat.com. September 30, 2009.
- Jump up^ Matthew Rothschild (31 July 2003). “Roger Ebert Interview” . progressive.org. Archived from the original on 4 January 2017 . Retrieved 3 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Critical eye on Roger Ebert – Enough! A Modest Proposal to End the junk mail Plague” . Panix.com . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert gets ‘two thumbs up’ from the Lumber Cartel for this distinct, well-written pledge” . The Lumber Cartel, local 42 . Retrieved November 14, 2006 .
- Jump up^ “Bill Weinman · Why I Keep The Boulder Pledge” . Bw.org . Retrieved 2017-01-27 .
- Jump up^ “Reason 02: President Obama faced down the GOP and the health industry to finally reform American health care” . 90days90reasons.com . Retrieved October 25, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Roger Ebert (September 4, 2009). “The Longest Thread Evolves” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 4, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (December 2, 2009). “Roger Ebert’s Journal: New Agers and Creationists arnt not be President” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved December 3, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (January 14, 2011). “A Dangerous Method Movie Review & Film Summary” . rogerebert.com .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Caro Mark (April 9, 2013). “Roger Ebert’s funeral:” He had a heart big enough to love all ‘ ‘ . Chicago Tribune .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (March 1, 2013). “How I am a Roman Catholic” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . Retrieved April 9, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Makoff, Robert (April 25, 2011). “Roger Ebert gains the Cartoon Caption Contest” . The New Yorker .
- Jump up^ “Email from Roger” . RogerEbert.com . August 17, 2006.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (June 29, 2007). “Sicko Movie Review & Film Summary” .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (January 6, 2010). “Nil by Mouth” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Jim Emerson (March 29, 2007). “Ebertfest ’07:” It’s his happening and it freaks im out! ” ” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved September 4, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger. “RogerEbert.com FrontPage” . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on May 21, 2007 . Retrieved May 22, 2007 .
- Jump up^ “RogerEbert.com commentary” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved July 23, 2007 .
- Jump up^ Lund, Jordan. “Roger Ebert’s Journal: Finding my own voice 8 December 2009” . Chicago Sun-Times . Retrieved October 17, 2009 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (March 8, 2010). “Hello, this is me speaking” . Roger Ebert’s Journal .
- Jump up^ Tucker, Ken (March 2, 2010). “Roger Ebert predicts the Oscars, movingly: ‘No more surgery for me. ‘ ‘ . Entertainment Weekly .
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert Tests His Vocal Cords, and Comedic Delivery” . The New York Times . March 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ Emerick, Laura (January 25, 2008). “Ebert doing well after surgery” . rogerebert.com/ Chicago Sun-Times .
- Jump up^ “Thumbs up for Roger Ebert after latest bout of surgery, lawyer reports”. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. January 25, 2008. Archived from the original on June 5, 2008 . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ ” ” Roger Ebert: Let’s go to the movies ” Chicago Sun-Times , April 1, 2008″ . Chicago Sun-Times . Archived from the original on April 4, 2008 . Retrieved October 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert and recovery from hip surgery” . Chicago Sun-Times . April 18, 2008 . Retrieved August 20, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ebert, Roger (January 19, 2011). “Leading with my chin” . Roger Ebert’s Journal . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Roger Ebert Hospitalised with fractured hip” . 3 News NZ . December 7, 2012.
- Jump up^ Dawn, Randee (April 3, 2013). “Roger Ebert’s cancer recurs, critic takes” leave of presence “from writing Duties” . NBC News.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Ebert, Roger (April 2, 2013). “A Leave of Presence” . Chicago Sun-Times . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ Corely, Cheryl (April 4, 2013). “For Pulitzer Winning Critic Roger Ebert, Films Were A Journey” . NPR.
- Jump up^ Ebert, Chaz; Jones, Chris (January 24, 2013). “Oral Histories of 2013: Roger Ebert’s Wife, Chaz, on His Final Moments” (Excerpt ed.). Esquire.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Stamets, Bill (April 8, 2013). “Roger Ebert’s Funeral: The Vanilla Sky Opens To Welcome One or zijn Own Home ‘ ‘ . The Hollywood Reporter via Yahoo Movies . Retrieved April 16, 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Death of film critic Ebert elicits wide reaction” . Boston Herald . Associated Press. April 4, 2013 . Retrieved April 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Statement by the President on the Passing of Roger Ebert” . The White House . April 4, 2013.
- Jump up^ Caro, Mark (April 12, 2013). “Roger Ebert honored with Hollywood stars for his” tenacity, ” zest for life ‘ ‘ . The Chicago Tribune: Arts & Entertainment section . Retrieved April 16, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Rothman, Lily (April 25, 2014). “Roger Ebert Statue Unveiled Outside Illinois Theatre” . Time . Retrieved April 24, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Ebert statue Planned in Champaign” . Chicago Sun-Times . September 12, 2013. Archived from the original on October 29, 2014 . Retrieved September 11, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Rothman, Lily (April 25, 2014). “Roger Ebert Statue Unveiled Outside Illinois Theatre” . Time . Retrieved June 1, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Whipp, Glenn (September 6, 2013). “TIFF 2013: Roger Ebert tribute:” He’s then probably … somewhere in here ‘ ‘ . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ The Editors (September 4, 2013). “Toronto International Film Festival Launches with a Tribute to Roger” . RogerEbert.com . Retrieved April 30, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Oscar Remembers – Photo Gallery, Roger Ebert, Film Critic” . The Oscars. February 2013. Archived from the original on 4 March 2014.
- Jump up^ “Oscars 2014 – In Memoriam Montage (Full)” . March 2, 2014 . Retrieved April 30, 2015 . [ Dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Life Itself Reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved January 13, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Laureates at Year – The Lincoln Academy of Illinois” . The Lincoln Academy of Illinois . Retrieved 2016-03-07 .
- Jump up^ “About the site” . RogerEbert.com . Retrieved 21 November 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The Ten Best Films of 2014” . RogerEbert.com .
- Jump up^ Severson, Kim (August 31, 2010). “Roger Ebert: No Longer an Eater, Still a Cook” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 30, 2010 .