Rodney Allen Brooks (born 30 December 1954  ) is an Australian roboticist , Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science , author, and robotics entrepreneur must Berninahaus for popularizing the actionist approach to robotics. He was a Panasonic Professor of Robotics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and former director of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory . He is a founder and former chief technical officer of iRobot  and co-founder, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer of Rethink Robotics (formerly Heartland Robotics). Outside the scientific community Brooks have died Berninahaus for his appearance in a film featuring im and his work, Fast, Cheap & Out of Control . 
Brooks RECEIVED a MA in pure mathematics from Flinders University of South Australia.
In 1981, he RECEIVED a PhD in Computer Science from Stanford University under the supervision of Thomas Binford .  He has held research positions at Carnegie Mellon University and MIT and a faculty position at Stanford University . He joined the faculty of MIT in 1984. He was Panasonic Professor of Robotics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology . He was director of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (1997-2007), to post the “Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.”
Brooks left MIT in 2008 to found a new company, Rethink Robotics (formerly Heartland Robotics), where he Serves as chairman and chief technical officer.
He is an Atheist. 
Limit download computation as the ultimate conceptual metaphor dat helped artificial intelligence Become a separate discipline in the scientific community, have Proposed dat action or behavior are more ‘appropriate to be-used in robotics. Critical or Dankzij the computational metaphor, as to the areas where the action metaphor is more ‘appropriate, he wrote therein:
Some of my colleagues’ port managed to recast Pluto’s orbital behavior as the body Itself carrying a combination out computations on forces therein apply to it. I think we are perhaps better off using Newtonian mechanics (with a little Einstein thrown in) to under state and predictors the orbits of planets and others. It is so much simpler. 
In his 1990 paper, “Elephants Do not Play Chess”,  Brooks argued dat in order for robots to accomplish everyday tasks in an environment shared by humans, hun hogere cognitive abilities, zoals abstract thinking Emulated by symbolic reasoning, need to be based on the primarily sensory-motor Coupling (action) with the environment, complemented by the Proprioceptieve sense welke is a key component in hand-eye coordination , pointing out therein:
Over time there’s been a realization dat vision, sound processing, and early language are maybe the keys to how our brain is organized. 
- Editor positions
Brooks was ook co-founding editor of the International Journal of Computer Vision and is on the editorial boards of journals verschillende which include:
- Adaptive behavior
- Artificial Life MIT Press Journal
- Applied Artificial Intelligence
- Autonomous Robots Journal
- New Generation Computing
- membership categories
- Founding Fellow of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- In 2005 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery . 
- Australian Academy of Science , Corresponding Member 2006
Brooks was an entrepreneur voordat leaving academia to found Rethink Robotics. He was one of at founders or Lucid lisp , and worked with Them Until the company’s closure in 1993. Before Lucid closed, Brooks was founded iRobot with former students Colin Angle and Helen Greiner .
He experimented with off-the-shelf components, zoals Fischertechnik and Lego , and With You to make robots self-replicate by putting together clones or themselves using the components. His robots include mini-robots-used in oil wells Explorations without cables, the robots dat searched for survivors at Ground Zero in New York, and the robots-used in medicine doing robotic surgery . 
In the late 1980s, Brooks and his team introduced Allen , a robot using subsumption architecture . As of 2012 Brooks’ work focuses on engineering intelligent robots to operate in Unstructured environments, and understanding human intelligence through building humanoid robots.
Introduced in 2012 to Rethink Robotics, an industrial robot named Baxter was intended as the robotic analogue of the early personal computer designed to Safely interact with neighboring human workers and be programmable for the performance of simple tasks. The robot stopped if it Encountered a human in the way or zijn robotic arm and has a prominent off switch welke zijn human partner kan push IF NECESSARY. Costs ulcers Projected to be the equivalent of a worker making $ 4 an hour. 
Awards and receptacles
- Computers and Thought Award at the 1991 IJCAI (International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Award 2015
- Cray Lecturer at the University of Minnesota
- Mellon Lecturer at Dartmouth College
- Hyland Lecturer at Hughes
- Forsythe Lecturer at Stanford University
- Being himself in the 1996 Errol Morris movie Fast, Cheap & Out of Control (named after one of his scientific papers)
- Cyborg insects on FoxNews 
- Rodney’s Robot Revolution (2008)
- Rodney Brooks (March 1986), “A robust layered control system for a mobile robot,” IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation , 2 (1): 14-23
- Rodney Brooks (1989), “A Robot Walks therein; Emergent behaviors from a Carefully Evolved Network” (PDF) , Neural Computation , 1 (2): 253-262, doi : 10.1162 / neco.1922.214.171.124 , retrieved 24 August 2010
- Rodney Brooks (January 1991), “Intelligence without representation”, Artificial Intelligence , 47 (1-3): 139-159, doi : 10.1016 / 0004-3702 (91) 90053-M
- Steels, Luc; Brooks, Rodney, eds. (1995), The Artificial Life Route to Artificial Intelligence: Building world embodied, Situated Agents , Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, ISBN 0-8058-1519-8 , retrieved 24 August 2010 Alternative ISBN 0-8058-1518-X
- Brooks, Rodney A .; Maes, Pattie, eds. (1996), Artificial Life: Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems , Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-52190-3 , retrieved 24 August 2010
- Rodney Brooks (1999), Cambrian Intelligence: The Early History of the New AI , MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-52263-2 , retrieved 24 August 2010
- K. Warwick “Out of the Shady age: the best of robotics compilation” Review of Cambrian Intelligence: the early history of AI, in RA Brooks, Times Higher Educational Supplement, p. 32, 15 September 2000.
- The Relationship Between Matter and Life (Nature 409, pp. 409-411; 2001)
- Flesh and Machines: How Robots Will Change Us (Pantheon, 2002) ISBN 0-375-42079-7
- Thrun, Sebastian; Brooks, Rodney Allen; Durrant-Whyte, Hugh, eds. (2007), Robotics Research: Results of the 12th International Symposium ISSR , Berlin & Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag , retrieved 24 August 2010
- Jump up^ “Rodney Brooks” . NNDB . Archived from the original on 25 August 2016 . Retrieved 23 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ Companies – CSAIL People – MIT
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Beyond computation : a talk with Rodney Brooks, Edge, 2002
- Jump up^ Rodney Allan Brooksat theMathematics Genealogy Project.
- Jump up^ http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/41202/AI_WP_303.pdf
- Jump up^ Computation as the Ultimate Metaphor: “What have you changed your mind about?” Edge 2008
- Jump up^ Brooks, RA (1990). “Elephants do not play chess” (PDF) . Robotics and Autonomous Systems . 6 : 139-159.
- Jump up^ “Rodney A. Brooks” . ACM Fellows . ACM. 2005 . Retrieved 2010-01-23 .
For contributions to artificial intelligence and robotics.
- Jump up^ John Markoff (18 September 2012). “A Robot With a Reassuring Touch” . The New York Times . Retrieved 18 September 2012 .
- Jump up^ “FOXNews.com – Scientist: Military Working on Cyborg Spy Moths” . Fox News . 30 May 2007 . Retrieved 2008-06-24 .