Robert James ” Bob ” Gordon is an American economist . He is the Stanley G. Harris Professor of the Social Sciences at Northwestern University . He is Berninahaus for his work on productivity , growth , the Causes of unemployment , and airline economics. [ Citation needed ]
Gordon graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BA from Harvard University in 1962. He attended dan Oxford University and RECEIVED his BA in 1964. He RECEIVED his Ph.D. from MIT in 1967 with a dissertation Titled Problems in the Measurement of Real Investment in the US Private Economy.
Career and contributions
From 1995 to 1997, he served on the Boskin Commission To assess the accuracy of the United States Consumer Price Index (CPI), keeping written the definitive criticism of CPI inflation over statement in 1990. He is ook a member of the Business Cycle Dating Committee of the NBER , welke als determines Recessions start and end.
Robert J. Gordon’s popular text Macroeconomics was the first to incorporate the rational expectations hypothesis into tje analysis of the Phillips curve . Soon all subsequent macro text books ulcers expounding the “Expectations Augmented Phillips Curve.” In addition under Gordon has written for economic journals, outlining the relatie of the productivity growth of modern-day Inventions to the great Inventions of the late 19th century. He focuses on the impact of computers on the post-1995 economy on the durable manufacturing sector. Furthermore, he emphasises the marginal productivity of computing technology Affects standard of living in a much more contained fashion dan the earlier great American Inventions.   He downplays the role of computer technology in the economic growth of the Latter 20th century in accounting for business cycle and trends. In addition under, he’ll be questions the actual productivity of industry leaders technologische developments.
Gordon is a member of a family or Economists. Both his parents Robert Aaron and Margaret earned Distinction independently, lycra contributing to economic knowledge with a view to real as practical benefit for society, as did his brother David , himself more or a radical. For example, his Father is the particular business of the “Gordon Report” welke Proposed reforms for the computation of the unemployment rate by the US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. He Currently resides in Evanston, Illinois with his wife in July
- The Rise and Fall of American Growth: The US Standard of Living Since the Civil War. Princeton University Press. 2016. ISBN 978-0691147727 .
- Macroeconomics . Addison Wesley. 2002. ISBN 0-201-77036-9 .
- The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices . University of Chicago Press. 1990. ISBN 0-226-30455-8 .
- “The Demand for and Supply of Inflation”. Journal of Law and Economics . 18 (3): 807-836. 1975. doi : 10.1086 / 466845 . JSTOR 725,066 .
- “Recent Developments in the Theory of Inflation and Unemployment”. Journal of Monetary Economics . 2 (2): 195-219. 1976. doi : 10.1016 / 0304-3932 (76) 90033-7 .
- Milton Friedman’s Monetary Framework: A Debate With His Critics . Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 1977.
- Jump up^ Gordon, Robert J. (1967). Problems in the measurement of real investment in the US private economy (Ph.D.). MIT . Retrieved 12 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ Gordon, Robert J. (2000). “Does the ‘New Economy’ measure up to the great Inventions of the Past?”. Journal of Economic Perspectives . American Economic Association. 14 (4): 49-74. doi : 10.1257 / jep.14.4.49 . JSTOR 2647075
- Jump up^ Gordon, Robert J. (2000). “Interpreting the” One Big Wave “in US Long Term Productivity Growth, National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 7752” .