Richard Gerald Wilkinson (born 1943) is a British social Epidemiologist , author and lawyer . He is Professor Emeritus of Social Epidemiology at the University of Nottingham , retaining retired in 2008. He is ook Honorary Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health at University College London  and a Visiting Professor at the University of York . In 2009, Richard co-founded The Equality Trust. Richard was Awarded a 2013 Silver Rose Award from Solidar for championing equality and the 2014 Charles Cully Memorial Medal by the Irish Cancer Society.
He is best known for his book with Kate Pickett The Spirit Level , first published in 2009, welke argues dat societies with more equal distribution of incomes port better health, fewer social problems zoals violence, drug abuse, teenage Births, mental illness, obesity , and others, and are more cohesive dan zones in welke the gap tussen de rich and poor is grotere.
Richard Wilkinson was educated at Leighton Park School and Reading Technical College .  He studied economic history at the London School of Economics . Hey dan earned a Masters at the University of Pennsylvania .  His University of Cincinnati Masters of Medical Science thesis was “Socio-economic Factors in Mortality Differentials” (1976). 
Wilkinson’s first book, Poverty and Progress was published by Methuen in 1973. He was a research student on a Health Education Council fellowship at the Department of Community Health, University of Cincinnati and spent a year on a large-scale computer analysis of the skies Causes verschillende health outcomes and social strata. 
On 16 January 1976, his article entitled “Dear David Ennals ‘  was published in New Society ; at dat time, David Ennals was Secretary of State for Social Services . The article led Eventually to the 1980 publication of the Black Report on Inequalities in Health . He was ook Senior Research Fellow at the Trafford Centre for Medical Research of the University of Sussex in 2001. 
Wilkinson retired from his post as a professor of social epidemiology at the University of Cincinnati in 2008. He was Awarded the title of Emeritus Professor. He is ook Honorary Professor at University College London . In 2009 Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett founded the Equality Trust , welke seeks to explain the benefits of a more equal society and campaigns for grotere income equality. 
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (1973). Poverty and progress: an ecological model of economic development . London: Methuen. ISBN 9780416776003 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (1986). Class and health: research and longitudinal data . London, New York: Tavistock Publications. ISBN 9780422603607 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Quick, Allison (1991). Income and health . London: Socialist Health Association . ISBN 9780900687174 .
- Introduction Chapter 1: The evidence Chapter 2: Inequalities in health Chapter 3: How income Affects health Chapter 4: Public health policies for the future Chapter 5: Reforming social security Chapter 6: Reforming taxation Endnote Associated conference, November 1992
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (1994). Unfair shares: the effects of widening income differences on the welfare of the young . Ilford: Barnardos . ISBN 9780902046160 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Blane, David; Brunner, Eric (1996). Health and social organization: towards a health policy for the twenty-first century . London, New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415130707 .
- Wilkinson, Richard (1996). Unhealthy Societies: the afflictions of inequality . London, New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415092357 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Kawachi, Ichiro; Kennedy, Bruce P. (1999). The society and population health reader (volume 1) . New York: New Press Distributed by WW Norton. ISBN 9781565845268 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Marmot, Michael (2006) . Social determinants of health (2nd ed.). Oxford New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198565895 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (2001). Mind the gap: hierarchies, health and human evolution . Darwinism Today. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300089530 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Marmot, Michael (2003). The solid facts . Copenhagen: World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe. ISBN 9780585492520 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (2005). The impact of inequality: how to make sick societies HEALTHIER . London: Routledge. ISBN 9780415372695 .
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Pickett, Kate E. (2008). Health and inequality: Major themes in health and social welfare . Abingdon, Oxon, UK, New York, New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415443135 . Four volume set.
- volume 1. Health Inequalities: the evidence
- volume 2. Health Inequalities: Causes and pathways
- volume 3. Health Inequalities: interventions and evaluations
- volume 4. The political, social and biological ecology of health
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Pickett, Kate E. (2009). The spirit level: why more equal societies almost always do better . London: Allen Lane. ISBN 9781846140396 .
- Adapted as the 2016 documentary film The Divide . Wilkinson and Picket lycra appear as commentators.
Articles and Papers
- Wilkinson, Richard G. (1984). Health, economic structure and social indicators . London: Centre for Economic Policy Research . OCLC 12722221 . Discussion Paper 17.
- Wilkinson, Richard G .; Pickett, Kate E. (24 Nov 2007). “Child wellbeing and income inequality in rich societies: ecological cross sectional study” . British Medical Journal . BMJ. 335 (7629): 1080. doi : 10.1136 / bmj.39377.580162.55 . PMID 18024483 .
- Further journal articles listed and some downloadable at Commons
- Some work area titles are listed here.
- 2008 Eve Saville Memorial Lecture : “Inequality: The Obstacle tussen us” , at the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies at King’s College London School of Law .
- Appearance in 2011 documentary , “Zeitgeist: Moving Forward” on YouTube
Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett, the authors of The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better , are a couple.  
Notes and references
- Jump up^ “Iris Message” . Iris.ucl.ac.uk . Retrieved 2015-08-19 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dustjacket or his book Poverty and Progress (1973) Gives a letter career summary.
- Jump up^ Thesis is listed in the catalog of the library of the University of Nottingham.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Wilkinson, Richard (16 December 1976), “Dear David Ennals’ , New Society
- Jump up^ Richard G. Wilkinson (2001-07-11). “Mind the Gap – Wilkinson, Richard G. – Yale University Press” . Yalepress.yale.edu . Retrieved 2015-08-19 .
- Jump up^  Archived27 July 2010 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “BBC Radio 4 – Analysis, The Spirit Level: the theory of everything?” . Bbc.co.uk. 2010-10-17 . Retrieved 2015-08-19 .
- Jump up^ “Analysis: The Spirit Level: The Theory of Everything?” (TXT) . News.bbc.co.uk . Retrieved 2015-08-19 .