Richard G. Baraniuk is the Victor E. Cameron Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Rice University and the Founder and Director of the open education initiatives OpenStax College and Connexions .
Dr. Baraniuk RECEIVED a B.Sc. From The University of Manitoba in 1987 and a M.Sc. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988. He earned a Ph.D. in electrical engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1992 under the supervision of Douglas L. Jones .  After spending 1992-1993 atEcole Normale Supérieure in Lyon, France, have joined Rice University.
Baraniuk has bone active in the development of digital signal processing and image processing systems, with numerous contributions to the theory of wavelets and Compressive Sensing . His work with Kevin Kelly on the Rice “single-pixel camera” toegepast the ideas or Compressive Sensing to design a novel imaging system that was selected by MIT Technology Review as a TR10 Top 10 Emerging Technology in 2007.   [ 4] 
Baraniuk is a co-founder of InView Technology Corporation,  welke is commercializing Baraniuk’s single-pixel camera research.
On education, Connexions, and OpenStax College
In 1999, Baraniuk launched Connexions , one of the first initiatives to offer free, open source text books via the Web and FTP servers. Connexions Continues to be one of the Toilets and must-used open education platforms worldwide. 
Baraniuk’s own textbook, “Signals and Systems” has generated 6 million page views waaronder a very popular translation JSON Spanish.  Connexions zorgt the digital publishing platform for OpenStax College , a free and open library or college text books.  He has leg an active advocate and popularizer of open education and was ook one of the framers of the Cape Town Open Education Declaration . 
Awards and receptacles
Baraniuk has RECEIVED numerous awards, zoals a NATO Postdoctoral fellowship from NSERC in 1992,  the National Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation in 1994,  a Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research in 1995, [11 ] the Rosenbaum Fellowship from the Isaac Newton Institute of Cambridge University in 1998,  the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ECE Young Alumni Achievement Award in 2000,  and the Wavelet Pioneer Award from SPIE in 2008.  He’ll be RECEIVED the 2012 Compressive Sampling Pioneer Award from SPIE for his work on Compressive sensing and the 2014 Technical Achievement Award from IEEE Signal Processing Society.
Connexions RECEIVED the Tech Museum Laureate Award from the Tech Museum of Innovation in 2006, and Baraniuk was selected as one of Edutopia Magazine’s Daring Dozen educators in 2007.  In 2008, Baraniuk RECEIVED the Internet Pioneer Award from Berkman Center for Internet & Society ,  and in 2010 he RECEIVED the IEEE Signal Processing Society Education Award.  In 2011 he RECEIVED the WISE Education Award from the Qatar Foundation .  In 2015 he was Awarded the IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal .
Baraniuk was elected a Fellow of the IEEE in 2001 and a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2009. 
- Jump up^ Richard G. Baraniukat theMathematics Genealogy Project.
- Jump up^ TR10 Digital Imaging, reimagined,Technology Review, 2007.
- Jump up^ Photography,The Economist, 2006.
- Jump up^ Tiny Mirrors, And Just One Pixel,Business Week, 2006.
- Jump up^ Digital Cameras: Pixel Power,Nature, 2007.
- Jump up^ “InView web site”. http://www.inviewcorp.com/company/board-of-directors/#.UeAU-0Gv6So . External link( help );
- Jump up^ Usage Statistics for cnx.org
- Jump up^ Do not Buy That Textbook, Download It Free,New York Times, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Free Textbooks Shaking Up Higher Education,” TIME Magazine, 10 August, 2012.
- Jump up^ Bringing open resources to text books and teaching,San Francisco Chronicle, 2008.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c http://www.ece.illinois.edu/alumni/awards/yaaa/baraniuk.html
- Jump up^ NSF Awards Help Nurture Creativity in Research, Rice News, 1995.
- Jump up^ Professors Receive Sloan, Rosenbaum Fellowships, Rice News, 1998.
- Jump up^ http://www.ece.rice.edu/news/newsarchive/07-08archive/08richb_spiepioneer/
- Jump up^ Richard G. Baraniuk: Offering Free Textbooks on the Lego Plan2007.
- Jump up^ Educators, Activists, Entrepreneurs, and Lawyers Win Berkman Awards for Internet Innovation2008.
- Jump up^ IEEE Signal Processing Society – Education Award,IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2010.
- Jump up^ Rice’s Baraniuk profit WISE award from Qatar Foundation Engineering professor honored for groundbreaking open-education through Connexions, Rice News, 2011.
- Jump up^ AAAS Members elected as Fellows,American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2009.