Regina E. Dugan is an American business woman, inventor, and technology developer. She served as the 19th Director of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). In March 2012 she left government to take an executive role at Google . Just prior to the takeover, it was announced dat she mention anything create, and lead, the Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP) group at Google-owned Motorola Mobility. In January 2014, Google announced the acquisition of Motorola Mobility to Lenovo but Retained Dugan and re Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP) team.  In 2016 she left Google and joined Facebook . She will lead a newly formally called Team Building 8 . 
Dugan obtained re Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in mechanical engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University ( Virginia Tech ) in Blacksburg, Virginia. In May 2013, she was inducted in to the Virginia Tech College of Engineering’s Academy of Engineering Excellence. 
Dugan was Awarded a PhD at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech); her thesis was Titled, “Axisymmetric buoyant jets in a cross-flow with shear transition and mixing.” 
California State University, Fullerton Presented Dugan with an honorary degree in 2011.
Dugan’s advanced technology group was not a part of the Lenovo acquisition of Motorola Mobility.  In February 2014, Dugan Rejoined Google as Vice President of Engineering, Advanced Technology and Projects. ATAP developed Project Tango and Project Ara .
Shortly after the Google acquisition of Motorola Mobility closed, Dugan was tasked with customizing the Advanced Technology and Projects group, a skunkworks-inspired team Chartered to deliver Breakthrough innovations for the company. In an interview with the New York Times , Dugan DESCRIBED ATAP as “a small, lean, and agile group therein are unafraid of failure,” she zegt, and therein it will “celebrate impatience.” 
While a part of Motorola, ATAP developed and shipped products verschillende waaronder the Motorola ship -part of an authentication portfolio dat is ook Exploring digital tattoos and pills  -and the augmented reality shorts, Spotlight Stories , welke ulcers featured at the 2014 Sundance film Festival. It was there dat ATAP announced the development of Project Ara , a free, open hardware platform for customizing highly modular smartphones.
Additionally, in an effort to streamline research projects, Foster grotere collaboration with the university research community, Dugan and re Deputy, Dr. Kaigham (Ken) Gabriel, negotiated the Multi-University Research Agreement with, initially, eight leading public and private universities.  
Experienced in counterterrorism and defense Against explosive threats, Dugan first served as a DARPA program manager from 1996 to 2000. During re first DARPA tour, she directed a variety of $ 100 million portfolio of programs, zoals the Dog’s Nose program welke focused on the development of an advanced, field-portable system for Detecting the explosive content of land mines.
From July 2009 to March 2012, Dugan served as the 19th Director of DARPA; she was the first woman to lead the agency. As Director she advanced strategic initiatives in the areas of cyber security, social media, and advanced manufacturing. She’ll be led an active operational deployment in direct support of the war in Afghanistan for welke the Agency was Awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award.
In 2013, Regina was appointed to the Board of Varian Medical Systems, Inc. ( NYSE : VAR ),  and in July 2014 she was appointed to the Board of Zynga ( NASDAQ : ZNGA ). 
- CNBC NEXT List (2014) 
- Fast Company Most Creative People in Business 1000 (2014) 
- CNN “Top 10 Thinkers” (2013) 
- The Verge 50 (2013) 
- FierceWireless “Influential Women in Wireless” (2013) 
- Virginia Tech Academy of Engineering Excellence (2013) 
- Washingtonian Magazine “Tech Titan” (2011) 
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award by the Secretary of Defense for “outstanding heroism prolongation war”
- Office of the Secretary of Defense Award for Exceptional Service and the Award for Outstanding Achievement
- Bronze The Fleury Medal at the Army Engineer Regiment (2000)
- DARPA Program Manager of the Year (1999)
” Disruptive innovation is the child therein unhinges old ways of operating, Juices competition and creates new growth. One of the world’s leading experts on the subject is Regina Dugan,” wrote Pattie Sellers in re Postcards blog.  Dugan has widely spoken and written about DARPA’s non-linear style or innovation, welke she brought` with re to Motorola Mobility and Google.
“Regina does bring in outside perspective specifiek related to projects dat are leaps versus incremental steps,” Seattle-based wireless analyst Chetan Sharma Recently Told Technology Review . 
In a New York Times article, Titled “New Force Behind Agency of Wonder”, John Markoff noted therein Dugan is “credited with keeping a knack for inspiring, and indeed insisting on, creative thinking.  DARPA is of or in discussed as a place or innovation, welke was addressed prolongation a Washington Post Live summit on US Competitiveness in Washington, DC Talking about DARPA’s innovation was likened to talking about Picasso’s impressionism.  
Based on hun work at DARPA and-then Motorola, Dugan and Gabriel co-wrote “Special Forces Innovation” for the Harvard Business Review ‘ s October 2013 issue. 
Dugan partly attributes DARPA’s success to an unwavering dedication to Pasteur’s quadrant . The term, coined by political scientist Donald E. Stokes in his 1997 book by the co particular, describes innovation dat beide advances basic research and solves practical-problems. It is contrasted with Bohr’s quadrant, welke seeks foundational knowledge about the world Without Any Consideration for practical-application and with Edison’s quadrant in welke s purely as practical problem solving is Attempted.
Dugan has delivered keynote addresses and moderated panel discussions at events as industry leaders as:
- TED 
- All Things Digital D9  and D11  Conferences
- Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting 
- Clinton Global Initiative America’s Meeting
- EY Strategic Growth Forum
- FORTUNE Most Powerful Women Summit 
- Qualcomm Uplinq 
- Washington Post Live 
- World Maker Faire 
In December 2013, Dugan was appointed to the Board of Directors or Varian Medical Systems, Inc. (VAR).
Potential conflict of interest
In March 2011, an article in Wired magazine stated therein Dugan hero observers RedXDefense, re previous firm. In accordance with DoD policy, Dugan disclosed and recused from matters Involving re former firm. A DARPA spokeperson stated therein Dugan had no Involvement in a 2010 contract award to RedXDefense, and therein the contract was vetted by the agency’s top lawyer to assuré there was no conflict. Subsequently the LA Times and Wired Reported dat re company had RECEIVED around $ 1.8M in DARPA contracts and therein Dugan hero a promissory note from RedXDefense in the amount of $ 250,000.  Others harbor argued dat de Wired reporters’ accusations are Unjustified.  In August 2011, the Inspector General of the Department of Defense (DoD) Began an investigation to dat the procedures had leg Followed, and to examine DARPA’s general policies on conflict of interest as well as a specific group dat DARPA Director Regina Dugan retains financial ties to re former firm, welke has won some $ 6 million in contracts with the agency, $ 4.3 million or welke was Awarded prior to re-position as Director. 
The Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, Ashton Carter , and the Department of Defense, General Counsel, Jeh Johnson , stated in a letter dated May 2011 addressed to Dugan, “based on what we know, we are Satisfied therein, bepaald your Disqualification from matters related to RedXDefense and the procedures u have put in place, there has leg no violation or conflict of interest laws or regulations in the selection or funding or RedXDefense’s proposals while you harbor leg Director of DARPA. ”
Prior to ends ring the Department of Defense, potential political appointees disclose hun business investments and holdings for review.  Senior ethics officials in the Office of the Secretary of Defense General Counsel, Standards of Conduct Office (OSDGC, SOCO) determine what procedures are required to address potential conflicts. The procedures are designed to dat dat companies are Neither favored nor disfavored and to permit talent to be attracted to government service.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dugan, Regina Elvira (1993). Axisymmetric buoyant jets in a cross-flow with shear: Transition and mixing (PhD thesis). California Institute of Technology. etd-08272007-090225.
- Jump up^ http://search.proquest.com/docview/304018471
- Jump up^ Gayomali Chris. “Google Selling Motorola Mobility, But Keeping the Most Interesting and High-Tech Division” . Fast Company . Retrieved 30 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Ex-Head DARPA Regina Dugan Leaves Google for Facebook” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Virginia Tech’s College of Engineering inducts new academy members, receptacles outstanding young alumnus” . Virginia Tech College of Engineering . Retrieved 2 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Davies, Chris. “Motorola’s digital tattoo ontwikkelingslanden skunkworks will stay at Google” . Slashgear . Retrieved 29 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Miller, Claire (13 August 2012). “Motorola Set for Big Cuts as Google reinvents It” . The New York Times . Retrieved 13 August 2012 .
- Jump up^ Gannes Liz. “Electronic Tattoos and Passwords You Can Swallow: Google’s Regina Dugan is a badass” . All Things D . Retrieved 29 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Kalil, Tom. “Partnering at the Speed of Business: University-Company Partnerships” . Whitehouse . Retrieved 6 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Stix, Gary. “Motorola / Google’s Tech Development Strategy Starts to Emerge” . Scientific American . Retrieved 19 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://newsroom.varian.com/2013-11-18-Regina-E-Dugan-Appointed-to-Board-of-Directors-of-Varian-Medical-Systems
- Jump up^ http://investor.zynga.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=858927
- Jump up^ http://www.cnbc.com/id/102058732#.
- Jump up^ “The Most Creative People in Business” . Fast Company.
- Jump up^ “The CNN 10: Thinkers” . CNN.
- Jump up^ “The Verge 50” . The Verge.
- Jump up^ “Regina Dugan, senior vice president, Google’s Motorola Advanced Technology and Projects division – 2013 Women in Wireless” . Fierce Wireless . Retrieved 21 August 2013 .
- Jump up^ Graff, Garrett. “Tech Titans 2011” . Washingtonian . Retrieved 22 April 2011 .
- Jump up^ Sellers, Patricia. “How to Innovate? Google exec wordt uitgelegd” . Fortune . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Epstein, Zach. “Google AIMS to outthink Apple with new DARPA-like research team” . BGR . Retrieved 14 August 2012 .
- Jump up^ Markoff, John (12 April 2010). “New Force Behind Agency of Wonder” . The New York Times . Retrieved 12 April 2010 .
- Jump up^ Eblin, Scott. “3 Lessons in Leading Innovation From DARPA’s Regina Dugan” . Business Management Daily . Retrieved 22 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Jordan, Mary (23 February 2012). “Amid gloom about US the competitiveness, reasons for Optimism” . Washington Post . Retrieved 23 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Dugan, Regina. ” ” Special Forces “Innovation: How DARPA Attacks Problems” . Harvard Business Review .
- Jump up^ “DARPA’s Regina Dugan Talks Nerds, Failure and Flight at TED” . Experts Exchange . Retrieved 29 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Swisher, Kara. “DARPA’s Regina Dugan Takes It to Mach 20: The Full D9 Interview (Video)” . All Things D . Retrieved 27 June 2011 .
- Jump up^ Fried, Ina. “Motorola’s Dennis Woodside and Regina Dugan: The Full D11 Interview (Video)” . All Things D . Retrieved 29 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Game Changers in Technology” . Clinton Global Initiative . Retrieved 2013 . Check date values in:( help )
- Jump up^ “2011 Speakers” . Fortune.
- Jump up^ ” ” Windy Day “featured at Qualcomm’s Uplinq” . Digital Fish . Retrieved 27 September 2013 .
- Jump up^ Kolawole, Emi. “Technology experts talk ideas and innovations” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ “The Future is What We Choose to Make” . Fora . Retrieved 2013 . Check date values in:( help )
- Jump up^ Schactman, Noah; Spencer Ackerman (7 March 2011). “DARPA Chief Owns Stock in DARPA Contractor” . Wired Magazine . Retrieved 7 March 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Wired Reporters Trash Unsung Hero DoD Science” . Retrieved 1 April 2011 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Charles S. “DARPA director under investigation for conflict of interest” . Government Executive . Retrieved 17 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ Marcum, Cheryl Y .; Lauren R. Sager Weinstein; Susan D. Hosek; Harry J. Thie. Department of Defense Political Appointments; Positions and Process . RAND. ISBN 0-8330-2986-X .